IFish.net banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I must be the worst crappie fisherman ever. My family and I went yesterday also
and we couldn’t buy a bite. Not sure what we’re doing wrong. Maybe I need to ditch the boat and go off the bank.

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I must be the worst crappie fisherman ever. My family and I went yesterday also
and we couldn’t buy a bite. Not sure what we’re doing wrong. Maybe I need to ditch the boat and go off the bank.

They are pretty concentrated in one canal in Silver Cove Resort right now. From what I’ve been told, they hang out at that end and don’t spread out until the water warms up.

Don’t feel bad, it took us a while to get that lake figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
My son and I went to SCR again yesterday. I had tied up some new jigs the night before and was curious to try them out.

We got there around 8:30, but our day was almost ruined as soon as we started fishing. I had a few words with a loud mouth jackwagon who apparently thought it was appropriate to teach his kids to snag fish. He also seemed to think that anti-snagging rules only applied to salmon/steelhead and that being a foul mouthed dingus was a fine example for his boys.

I somehow was able to keep my temper under control and not make the situation worse than it was. Had my son or other kids not been around, I can’t say I would have been able to keep myself under control, although I would have thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Even though we were catching fish and hadn’t heard anything from the loud mouth for a while, I could tell neither one of us were having much fun and my son seemed pretty tense. I suggested that we go warm up in the truck for a while and move to a different spot.

Once we moved, my son was visibly happy to be fishing again. The fishing was slower for a while, but the people around us were all very friendly and sociable. Once we started getting bites again, the fish were bigger and and we finally filled our limits with multiple fish in the 11” range.

Both of my new jigs caught fish, but the blue/chartreuse one was my top performer for the day. (Both are 1/80oz)

Great report Roady. What are they charging to get into the resort nowadays?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Great report Roady. What are they charging to get into the resort nowadays?

It’s $21.50 per vehicle (credit/debit only) Which isn’t too bad, if you go with multiple people.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I tied up some more jigs last night, so my son and I hit Silver Lake again today. We had a very enjoyable day with no loud mouthed dingus types and everyone near us was good company.

Early in the day, we made the decision to release anything smaller than 10” (9” minimum legal size). My son was catching fish left and right, and he soon said that we should release anything under 11”. We caught our limits by 3pm, with the biggest fish at 13.75”.

All four of these jigs caught fish, but the top one got the most action by far. (Figures I only tied one of those. Even had to steal it from my son, so I could catch some fish for a while. 😁) All were tied on 1/80oz jig heads. I gave away some jigs to some other folks who weren't catching many and was happy to see them start catching fish on my jigs.

Reactions: shanem

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I took 8”L x 4”W fillets off of that big one. 😎

Reactions: shanem

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I think I am going to plan a trip over to Brownlee the 15th of May if anyone wants to meet up..still on the fence on towing my boat 7 hours lol.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I think we are about done with Silver Lake for a while, at least until the weather warms up and we can find them in our boat.

We went again last Friday (2/5). Fishing was really slow for us most of the day. We would get a fish here and there, but nothing consistent. The bite picked up around 3:30pm and we had 10 in the cooler by the time we left. (Only kept fish over 10”)

Heard from a friend that fishing was even slower Saturday, and almost non-existent Sunday.

We have noticed an increase of snaggers recently. Maybe this has put the fish off the bite, or the snaggers have managed to put a dent on the schools. Either way, I would have never thought I’d have to deal with snaggers while crappie fishing.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Had nothing better to do yesterday, so we braved the weather and headed to SCR again.

Pretty slow over all, but we did manage to catch around 20 crappie and and seven or eight bluegill. Fished from around 10am-3:30pm. All of the crappie that we caught were over 9” and the biggest two were 12” and 12.5”

My son even managed to catch an 11.5” crappie on his fly rod, using one of his hand-tied jigs under a small indicator.

We could never find a consistent color. We would pick up a fish or two on a certain color and then nothing until we switched out again.

All in all it was a fun day. Weather wasn’t great, fishing wasn’t hot, but we never got too cold and it beat sitting at home. We had the place almost to ourselves for a good part of the day, with only one other person fishing out of a little Pelican plastic boat. When we left, there was two other people besides the guy in the boat.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts