Pacific City Dory fishing (all purpose) - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 01-30-2015, 12:04 PM   #1
DogGone
Chromer

Default Pacific City Dory fishing (all purpose)

I thought I would start a thread for all things related to Pacific City Dory fishing.

Does anyone know what may have caused that nasty hill that was giving me grief on the beach last year? Has it ever been there (to that extent) before?

DogGone

DogGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
Tinman

Default Re: Pacific City Dory fishing (all purpose)

That berm was a pain, but at least I can say I've done a dry-land wheelie in a 22 foot boat. On a high tide I hit that berm at just the right speed, slid up and over with a little speed to spare, and plopped into that big puddle at the top.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:13 PM   #3
DogGone
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
That berm was a pain, but at least I can say I've done a dry-land wheelie in a 22 foot boat. On a high tide I hit that berm at just the right speed, slid up and over with a little speed to spare, and plopped into that big puddle at the top.
I saw Tim do that as well. My boat just stopped dead in it's tracks (as usual) and then started filling up with water wave by wave. Sometimes being pulled out and then slammed back into the berm. It busted off my transducer on one occasion.

An older doryman I know told me he had never seen it that bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogGone View Post
I thought I would start a thread for all things related to Pacific City Dory fishing.

Does anyone know what may have caused that nasty hill that was giving me grief on the beach last year? Has it ever been there (to that extent) before?

DogGone
Pretty standard late season. I have seen it worse, like last year, but with dry fluffy sand from berm to dune.
JE
Joe Evens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:25 PM   #5
DogGone
Chromer

Here is a pic. of the helm of the RUDE AWAKENING (i.e. my harvey) for every ones scrutiny. It's a work in progress but I think it fishes pretty well for my first try at repairing and outfitting a dory. I think of it as a working/fishing boat instead of a piece of art.

DogGone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	7605
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	287538  
Old 01-30-2015, 01:37 PM   #6
DogGone
Chromer

Quote:
I saw Tim do that as well.
Funny thing is, I don't think Tim meant to do it. I came in right before him and looked back to see him coming in. I saw the terror on their faces when they realized that berm was coming at them at that rate of speed.

Then they just popped right up over and landed gently in the powder. Then acted like he meant to do it.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:42 PM   #7
IIonPilgrimg
Ifish Nate

Quote:
...he meant to do it.
Yup, that ^^ is exactly how I remember it.
Either way, it was FUN and I want to do it again.
IIonPilgrimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:33 PM   #8
cutout
Cutthroat

The berm posses some challenges especially when the gravel starts to show. I try and get off the beach before the tide gets too high but if that's not possible I carry a 150ft of 1 1/4 Sampson and pull the boat from the wet sand if there is any. 2014 was a good summer for us 23 successful launches, didn't get stuck and didn't get swamped.
cutout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #9
Tinman

Well I owe my wingman (The FlyGuy) for my nice wheelie over the berm. He went in first, then called me on the CB and told me exactly what to expect on the beach.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:01 PM   #10
Tinman

Quote:
Here is a pic. of the helm of the RUDE AWAKENING (i.e. my harvey) for every ones scrutiny. It's a work in progress but I think it fishes pretty well for my first try at repairing and outfitting a dory. I think of it as a working/fishing boat instead of a piece of art.

DogGone
Wow, very nice installation of your fishfinder, switches and gauges. I'd like to see that close up sometime.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:13 PM   #11
DogGone
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutout View Post
The berm posses some challenges especially when the gravel starts to show. I try and get off the beach before the tide gets too high but if that's not possible I carry a 150ft of 1 1/4 Sampson and pull the boat from the wet sand if there is any. 2014 was a good summer for us 23 successful launches, didn't get stuck and didn't get swamped.
I now have 90 feet of very high quality rope. A 30 ft 1 1/4 inch with a loop on one end and a huge hook on the other and a 60 foot 3/4 set up with the same loop and hook. I invested in the 60 foot rope after all most losing my rig in the surf when that island was there early summer. 90 feet makes a huge difference.

I think I got stuck 3 times but launched more times than I can remember. I'm launching with an 03 dodge ram 1500 with bald tires. I don't have a ton of experience driving in the sand especially towing a boat as this will be my 4th year running my own dory.

Think upgrading my tires would help? I know tires make a big difference in the snow.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:21 PM   #12
DogGone
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Wow, very nice installation of your fishfinder, switches and gauges. I'd like to see that close up sometime.
Thanks Charles, any time. I'm sure you could offer some good advice. I have a lot of ideas on additional upgrades but am sometimes constrained by time and of course $$$.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:29 PM   #13
Sand Slider
Chromer

I think I was driving on that one Dog gone. I meant to get as high as we could. I wasn't sure it would flop the top. Looking back at the alternative I'm glad we did. Way easier to get loaded from up there and no waves licking the back of the boat.
Sand Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #14
DogGone
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand Slider View Post
I think I was driving on that one Dog gone. I meant to get as high as we could. I wasn't sure it would flop the top. Looking back at the alternative I'm glad we did. Way easier to get loaded from up there and no waves licking the back of the boat.
Well ok. Either way, it sucked that you were up there and I was down there.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:37 PM   #15
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Berm? That ain't no stinking berm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvBhCi9OPNg
And just for fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RYnIdR5lnw

Last edited by Joe Evens; 01-30-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:39 PM   #16
DogGone
Chromer

Quote:
I invested in the 60 foot rope after all most losing my rig in the surf when that island was there early summer.
Actually this one wasn't really my fault. I'll share the story complete with a picture if any one is interested.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:58 PM   #17
DirectDrive
King Salmon

Quote:
I now have 90 feet of very high quality rope. A 30 ft 1 1/4 inch with a loop on one end and a huge hook on the other and a 60 foot 3/4 set up with the same loop and hook. I invested in the 60 foot rope after all most losing my rig in the surf when that island was there early summer. 90 feet makes a huge difference.

I think I got stuck 3 times but launched more times than I can remember. I'm launching with an 03 dodge ram 1500 with bald tires. I don't have a ton of experience driving in the sand especially towing a boat as this will be my 4th year running my own dory.

Think upgrading my tires would help? I know tires make a big difference in the snow.
Back on Cape Cod we would run implement (airplane) tires on our rigs.
Traction tires were not even permitted on Cape Cod National Seashore.
The aired down, implement tires do very well in that dry sugar sand back there.
The Pacific coast sand is finer and easier to run on.....seeing passenger cars on the sand (at Cannon Beach) was something that I had never seen before.
So think wide, flotation, aired down and not so much on the aggressive tread for sand.
DirectDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #18
DogGone
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Evens View Post
I think that's what the call a no go day.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #19
sandybottoms
Chromer

Quote:

DogGone
Quote:
Actually this one wasn't really my fault. I'll share the story complete with a picture if any one is interested.
Please share the story, it will make me feel better about almost losing mine a few days ago.
sandybottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #20
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

Stopping in the surf...never a winning strategy.

Yes the berm sucked last year. I came in at high tide with a load of tuna on and soft landed, took wave after wave over the transom. The only thing constant about the beach is it changes.

On another note...who else if going tomorrow?
Old 01-30-2015, 07:45 PM   #21
Spotted Owl
Ifish Nate

That hump almost claimed our boat last year. Had to anchor off with the tow rope and wait for tide to go out some. This year I think we got'er licked. Talking with Nestucca, Sandy Bottoms, and a few others. Decided to put on one of them tilt brackets. Barring anything catastrophic it will work just fine in our well. No more timing the final run with speed, tilting the motor and hoping we got enough. The first try will be a nerve test though, thinking the whole time, that I'm gonna tear something apart. Probably just keep soft landing though.

For the guys with wood boats. What bilge pumps are you running and where do you have them placed? With the well on the one side placement in the back by the plug is easy, the jump side is what I am wondering about. Where do you put it so you don't walk on it?

Owl
Spotted Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:35 PM   #22
IIonPilgrimg
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Was it this day?

No wait ... That's a Dodge but, not the Rude Awakening.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A-Bad-Day.jpg
Views:	6084
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	287786  

Last edited by IIonPilgrimg; 01-30-2015 at 10:35 PM. Reason: (photo courtesy of http://pcphotolady.webs.com/)
Old 01-30-2015, 10:54 PM   #23
DogGone
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIonPilgrimg View Post
Was it this day?

No wait ... That's a Dodge but, not the Rude Awakening.
No that's not me, my story is way better, I'll share the whole story when i have time.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:12 PM   #24
IIonPilgrimg
Ifish Nate

I'll save him the glory but, I remember the day he speaks of. We stayed out catching fish a while longer (he's an early-bird and I'm anything but).
An hour and a half (or more) later, we came in and they were 'just' getting loaded.

It's good to have friends on the beach. And, being a slight laughing-stock (once in a while) helps make friends. Like the day we BOTH pulled the tail-roller off our trailers at the same time, making it impossible to load either boat.

(Experience is a master teacher: Both of us now have longer ropes and our hooks are at the front of the trailer.)
Old 01-30-2015, 11:23 PM   #25
IIonPilgrimg
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Rod Bow View Post
On another note...who else if going tomorrow?
GunRodBow, I'll be there hoping to see a Breaker Dory in person but, not intending to launch. I'll bring my tow rope, just in case.

We've discussed the 'not-berm' before, and I suspect it's a more cooperative beach this time of year. The large winter storms flatten it; The gentle summer wash digs it out.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:11 AM   #26
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectDrive View Post
Back on Cape Cod we would run implement (airplane) tires on our rigs.
Traction tires were not even permitted on Cape Cod National Seashore.
The aired down, implement tires do very well in that dry sugar sand back there.
The Pacific coast sand is finer and easier to run on.....seeing passenger cars on the sand (at Cannon Beach) was something that I had never seen before.
So think wide, flotation, aired down and not so much on the aggressive tread for sand.
What he said. Flotation. Think wide, with minimal tread. No side lugs.
The year before last, I got stuck for the third time,... ever...It had been 20 yrs since the last time, that with two wheel drive...But it will happen again.

Last edited by Joe Evens; 01-31-2015 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:37 AM   #27
Sand Slider
Chromer

That getting stuck thing is kinda funny. I drive one of the biggest piles. Totalled three times on street tires usually bald. The motor trans and 4 wheel gear work great and I haven't been stuck yet. It might help that I've done a little wheeling and riding in the dunes. One thing I can say is I've gotten a military hummer stuck more then a few times. High centered three times on the same (jump) obsticle... It's all good learning and all part of the adventure.
Sand Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:44 AM   #28
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted Owl View Post
That hump almost claimed our boat last year. Had to anchor off with the tow rope and wait for tide to go out some. This year I think we got'er licked. Talking with Nestucca, Sandy Bottoms, and a few others. Decided to put on one of them tilt brackets. Barring anything catastrophic it will work just fine in our well. No more timing the final run with speed, tilting the motor and hoping we got enough. The first try will be a nerve test though, thinking the whole time, that I'm gonna tear something apart. Probably just keep soft landing though.

For the guys with wood boats. What bilge pumps are you running and where do you have them placed? With the well on the one side placement in the back by the plug is easy, the jump side is what I am wondering about. Where do you put it so you don't walk on it?

Owl
You will like the bracket. I just pull the pin, but it is inconvenient. I plan to build a similar bracket. Soft landing sucks, but I did once when the beach was crowded.

You should be fine with a pump on one side. Just stand on the side the pump is on. Any significant water should run to the low side.

I am thinking about getting a bilge pump as well. With a 32 gal tank in the middle, it's getting hard to reach the plug to let the water out.
JE
Old 01-31-2015, 12:50 AM   #29
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:
I'll save him the glory but, I remember the day he speaks of. We stayed out catching fish a while longer (he's an early-bird and I'm anything but).
An hour and a half (or more) later, we came in and they were 'just' getting loaded.

It's good to have friends on the beach. And, being a slight laughing-stock (once in a while) helps make friends. Like the day we BOTH pulled the tail-roller off our trailers at the same time, making it impossible to load either boat.

(Experience is a master teacher: Both of us now have longer ropes and our hooks are at the front of the trailer.)
C'mon, tell the rest of that story. Where did that roller end up?
JE
Old 01-31-2015, 05:40 AM   #30
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

I find myself soft landing more and more these days. Safer. Easier on the equipment. And on a falling tide why not.

I know especially the Harvey guys think it's fun and all.

Steep beach and shore breaks are just bad no matter how you slice it. I was riding with a buddy last year in those conditions and he made a perfect approach to the only groove in the berm you could pull a boat over. Just as we got to the beach a shore break humped up and he just kept the same speed. When we came over it all there was was sand at a steep angle on the other side.

Imagine hitting a parked car at 25 mph. It was exactly like that.

Not to mention the times I've had a sliding boat nearly hit me or my boat.

It's not always about the Hollywood slide.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:27 AM   #31
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:
I find myself soft landing more and more these days. Safer. Easier on the equipment. And on a falling tide why not.

Steep beach and shore breaks are just bad no matter how you slice it. I was riding with a buddy last year in those conditions and he made a perfect approach to the only groove in the berm you could pull a boat over. Just as we got to the beach a shore break humped up and he just kept the same speed. When we came over it all there was was sand at a steep angle on the other side.

I guess that I just don't like getting my feet wet, or waves crashing the stern, looking for the boat when I get back with the truck, etc.

That does sound a nasty landing though. Definitely better to be ready with what ever landing style fits the situation.

Agreed re the few sliders who get too close. Some day...
JE
Old 01-31-2015, 03:16 PM   #32
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

Yah last sumer after a nice slide on a calm flat beach I secured the boat and hopped out and took a step toward my rig and jumped back as a Harvey slid to a stop within 6' of my boat. Slightly past. That was a bit ambitious

I soft landed in some bigish surf today. Walked the boat up 20'. No biggie. I've just had bad experiences trying to come in hot when it's lumpy.

Rob hit a nice clean slide right after me though. Sometimes timing just isn't there.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:46 PM   #33
Spotted Owl
Ifish Nate

How did everyone do today?

Owl
Old 01-31-2015, 09:11 PM   #34
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

3 boats went. 3 boats had all their fish in 2 hours. Bass and cod. We mixed in a couple yellow tails. All of our cod were males. Good grade. Nothing huge.

Absolute swarms of blue bass. Couldn't hardly get down through them. A couple were as big as any blue I'd ever seen.

6' west. Kinda sporty beach.

Last edited by Gun Rod Bow; 01-31-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Gun Rod Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:43 PM   #35
Spotted Owl
Ifish Nate

Looking at the camera a couple times today, I figured there would have been a few more than three. This weekend should see the rest of the get ready stuff done. Anyone ever thought of diamond plate for the floor panels?

Short of an egg belly, how do you all tell between male and female?

I need to go fishing.

Owl
Old 01-31-2015, 11:22 PM   #36
KingSlew
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted Owl View Post
Short of an egg belly, how do you all tell between male and female?
Males have a distinct papilla at the rear of the vent.
Females have a smooth vent.
These are both males.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #37
DogGone
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottoms View Post
Please share the story, it will make me feel better about almost losing mine a few days ago.
Anything that can happen, will happen when your dory fishing in Pacific City.

This is the way I recall it. In the spring or early summer of 2014 when the tide hit a certain level it created an island with a river running parallel to the incoming/outgoing surf. At least a few times I had successfully landed on the west side of the island dragged my boat up on the island loaded it and was on my way without incident.

On this particular trip the tide was quickly overcoming the island when we landed but I still figured I could pull it off so I retrieved the truck drove through the river up on the island and pulled my boat up partially on what was left of the rapidly disappearing island.

This is when my brother suggested we quickly pull the boat partially on the trailer and move to higher ground to finish loading. This approach apparently works pretty well but we had little experience with the procedure. So I stayed in the truck and waited for my brother to partially load the boat and tell me when to go.

When the signal was given, I attempted to pull forward but just sank strait into the quick sand with no forward movement at all. I think the problem was that he did not pull the boat up quite far enough and the stern was still sitting in the sand acting like an anchor.

So realizing that we had very little time, I sent my brother to ask for help from a fellow dory man who had his boat safely on dry land and he was kind enough to give it a try. He backed his truck and trailer slightly into the east side of the river were we quickly hooked up with a rope and he too immediately buried in the sand.

Now I was still stuck but also tied to another truck with a good amount of tension on my 1 1/4 inch rope and sinking fast as the island was pretty much all but gone. At this point I had pretty much given up and was just trying to come to terms with whatever the outcome would be (i.e. $10,000 truck and trailer buried in the surf).

As a final last ditch effort I walked back and lifted the latch on the trailer and pulled up. To my surprise the trailer lifted right off so I jumped in the truck put it in gear hit the gas and I was free (so I thought).

When I was about half way through the river I looked over at the guys in the other truck who were frantically yelling at me to stop. I remember thinking are they crazy, what the **** would I stop in the middle of this river for after all I had just been through? Then I saw there trailer yank sideways and realized I was still hooked to them.

Luckily, this did not turn in to another leg of this story as we were able to unhook and proceed to dry land with out further incident.

Now the only problem was the boat and trailer were still about 100 yards out in the surf. As fortune had it, a black Humvee belonging to a certain business man showed up on the beach just at the right time. Because we were wearing our new USIA waders purchased at the SSS he agreed to use his Humvee to easily back in and pull my trailer and boat to safety.

In the end, no harm was done to any equipment and we have another story we can laugh about for years to come.

DogGone
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1120417 re-size.jpg
Views:	5765
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	288738  
Old 02-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #38
Etonfish
Ifish Nate

Quote:

I know this is a PC thread, but hopefully you don't mind a Cannon Beach guy chiming in. I have to completely agree with you GRB. Between surfers, swimmers, and kids playing in the sand, it's always best to come in under control. There's a large portion (100% at CB) of those on the beach who have no idea what a dory is or that they should be on the lookout for them.

I like a good slide as much as anyone, but not at at the risk of everyone's safety.

I got a good slide this day and one of my passengers ended up on the floor.

Etonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:02 PM   #39
IIonPilgrimg
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etonfish View Post
I know this is a PC thread, but hopefully you don't mind a Cannon Beach guy chiming in.
Etonfish,
The (all purpose) portion of the title was authored with you in mind. Not much point blogging with yourself and you aren't far north of us, really. We should visit one another's haunts more often: I want to check Cannon Beach off my bucket-list.

GunRod Bow,
Sliding is fun. But, there are times when it's ill-advised, though the beach beg to be slid upon. High pedestrian traffic days should be approached with extreme caution.
I hope that wasn't me in your story but, was at the helm of a similar event (learning opportunity): I was between the cape and rock. A Learned was coming at quite a clip from the southern crab grounds. The 'sneaker' swell was not to be ignored.
I committed thinking I'd be first in but, gave him the lead and ended up stuck in his wash. On hind-sight, this was completely predictable but, it caught me off guard.
Sandy Weedman took a good photo of me sloshing side to side as I tried to power through the 'chine-trips' from left to right, feeling like a ping-pong ball as I tried to concentrate on landing to his south, rather than up his stern. The guy in the rear is holding the helm in his left hand on the other side of the boat.
Next time, I'll know to allow a broad berth to begin with.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-08-02-a.jpg
Views:	5625
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	288938  

Last edited by IIonPilgrimg; 02-02-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:04 PM   #40
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

I liked your throttle control not jumping over waves. I have a series of pics in my living room of our old dory when my partner jumped a wave. Not a great idea.

And as far as I'm concerned, CB guys welcomed anytime
Old 02-02-2015, 06:28 PM   #41
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:
Anything that can happen, will happen when your dory fishing in Pacific City.

This is the way I recall it. In the spring or early summer of 2014 when the tide hit a certain level it created an island with a river running parallel to the incoming/outgoing surf. At least a few times I had successfully landed on the west side of the island dragged my boat up on the island loaded it and was on my way without incident.

On this particular trip the tide was quickly overcoming the island when we landed but I still figured I could pull it off so I retrieved the truck drove through the river up on the island and pulled my boat up partially on what was left of the rapidly disappearing island.

This is when my brother suggested we quickly pull the boat partially on the trailer and move to higher ground to finish loading. This approach apparently works pretty well but we had little experience with the procedure. So I stayed in the truck and waited for my brother to partially load the boat and tell me when to go.

When the signal was given, I attempted to pull forward but just sank strait into the quick sand with no forward movement at all. I think the problem was that he did not pull the boat up quite far enough and the stern was still sitting in the sand acting like an anchor.

So realizing that we had very little time, I sent my brother to ask for help from a fellow dory man who had his boat safely on dry land and he was kind enough to give it a try. He backed his truck and trailer slightly into the east side of the river were we quickly hooked up with a rope and he too immediately buried in the sand.

Now I was still stuck but also tied to another truck with a good amount of tension on my 1 1/4 inch rope and sinking fast as the island was pretty much all but gone. At this point I had pretty much given up and was just trying to come to terms with whatever the outcome would be (i.e. $10,000 truck and trailer buried in the surf).

As a final last ditch effort I walked back and lifted the latch on the trailer and pulled up. To my surprise the trailer lifted right off so I jumped in the truck put it in gear hit the gas and I was free (so I thought).

When I was about half way through the river I looked over at the guys in the other truck who were frantically yelling at me to stop. I remember thinking are they crazy, what the **** would I stop in the middle of this river for after all I had just been through? Then I saw there trailer yank sideways and realized I was still hooked to them.

Luckily, this did not turn in to another leg of this story as we were able to unhook and proceed to dry land with out further incident.

Now the only problem was the boat and trailer were still about 100 yards out in the surf. As fortune had it, a black Humvee belonging to a certain business man showed up on the beach just at the right time. Because we were wearing our new USIA waders purchased at the SSS he agreed to use his Humvee to easily back in and pull my trailer and boat to safety.

In the end, no harm was done to any equipment and we have another story we can laugh about for years to come.

DogGone
I guess I had this event mixed up with another.. Something about
the rear crossmember, and/or, roller staying with a boat when attempting to drag boat up the beach??? Or was that in the boat?? My memory is getting bad, They say that is the second thing to go....JE
Old 02-02-2015, 11:46 PM   #42
Sand Slider
Chromer

I asked the same question Joe. Memory serves me it was a different day. although I was at camp when the first one broke. They called me for some tools and when I got there it was double trouble.
Hey Tim, I saw this picture on Sandy's web site when I was on vacation last year and had to ask. Who's driving???
Old 02-03-2015, 07:24 AM   #43
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

Pilgrim. No it wasn't. Everyone goes through learning experiences. Pretty much never ends. But the guy that about slid over my toes is no rookie.

The point of injecting my comment into the middle of all the talk of hinge brackets and Hollywood slides is to remind that the goal is to land safely. That's it.

I just about always pull the boat up some anyway before loading.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:20 AM   #44
IIonPilgrimg
Ifish Nate

Quote:
The guy in the rear is holding the helm in his left hand on the other side of the boat.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:30 AM   #45
DogGone
Chromer

Quote:
I guess I had this event mixed up with another.. Something about
the rear crossmember, and/or, roller staying with a boat when attempting to drag boat up the beach??? Or was that in the boat?? My memory is getting bad, They say that is the second thing to go....JE
This was a separate event. We had not yet put a hook on our trailer and were using the rear trailer roller to pull the boat out of the surf. The roller bar bent out of its bracket and ricocheted back putting a small hole in the bow and side of the boat.

Luckily no one was standing in the way or this could have ended much, much worse. I’m a first generation dory man and it seems I have to learn a lot of lessons the hard way. If there’s any **** around, I’m going to step in it.

The holes were quickly repaired and we were back on the beach the following weather window. Easy repairs is a huge benefit of a glass boat. How would you go about repairing a similar hole (e.g. about the diameter of a silver dollar) on a wood boat?
Old 02-03-2015, 09:33 AM   #46
DogGone
Chromer

Quote:
I know this is a PC thread, but hopefully you don't mind a Cannon Beach guy chiming in. I have to completely agree with you GRB.
Your more than welcome to share this thread anytime.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #47
DogGone
Chromer

Quote:
I know this is a PC thread, but hopefully you don't mind a Cannon Beach guy chiming in. I have to completely agree with you GRB. Between surfers, swimmers, and kids playing in the sand, it's always best to come in under control. There's a large portion (100% at CB) of those on the beach who have no idea what a dory is or that they should be on the lookout for them.

I like a good slide as much as anyone, but not at at the risk of everyone's safety.

I got a good slide this day and one of my passengers ended up on the floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkps4SUJK4A
Do you ever launch in PC?
Old 02-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #48
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:
This was a separate event. We had not yet put a hook on our trailer and were using the rear trailer roller to pull the boat out of the surf. The roller bar bent out of its bracket and ricocheted back putting a small hole in the bow and side of the boat.

Luckily no one was standing in the way or this could have ended much, much worse. I’m a first generation dory man and it seems I have to learn a lot of lessons the hard way. If there’s any **** around, I’m going to step in it.

The holes were quickly repaired and we were back on the beach the following weather window. Easy repairs is a huge benefit of a glass boat. How would you go about repairing a similar hole (e.g. about the diameter of a silver dollar) on a wood boat?
We all try to be safe, but it's helpful to be lucky as well. I have learned to get clear when ever a boat is pulled. Failures are common. Last season I had a bow eye fail. It looked fine, Stainless steel. Caused by crevice corrosion in the shank. Less than 1/4 inch of metal left.. Lucky.
JE

Last edited by Joe Evens; 02-03-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:15 PM   #49
IIonPilgrimg
Ifish Nate

Quote:
My memory is getting bad, They say that is the second thing to go....JE
No doubt: First to go is color discrimination.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Joes-Glasses.jpg
Views:	5357
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	289570  
Old 02-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #50
sandybottoms
Chromer

Quote:
No doubt: First to go is color discrimination.
Is third to go lifejacket strap alignment?
sandybottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:24 PM   #51
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

Quote:
Old 02-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #52
Etonfish
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Do you ever launch in PC?
I've launched a grand total of 1 time from PC and I was probably in high school at the time. My family has a place only a couple blocks from the beach access at Cannon Beach, so it's really hard to justify the drive to PC.

Definitely more big surf days to deal with, but we get out plenty.
Etonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:52 PM   #53
Tinman

Quote:
I've launched a grand total of 1 time from PC and I was probably in high school at the time. My family has a place only a couple blocks from the beach access at Cannon Beach, so it's really hard to justify the drive to PC.

Definitely more big surf days to deal with, but we get out plenty.
You Cannon Beach guys deal with much rougher launches than we do down in PC. In PC, the danger zone is only 100 or 200 feet. For you it looks like hundreds of yards. Of course you are welcome to post here.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:44 PM   #54
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:
Gimme a break, that's the first time I've actually put one on.

Last edited by Joe Evens; 02-03-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:37 PM   #55
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

Quote:
Gimme a break, that's the first time I've actually put one on.
You shoulda had Charles buckle you up
Old 02-03-2015, 11:56 PM   #56
Sand Slider
Chromer

after that he can be tucked in with a slice of Pizza and an IPA.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Joe_Pizza.jpg
Views:	5240
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	289954  
Old 02-04-2015, 12:25 AM   #57
IIonPilgrimg
Ifish Nate

Sorry, Joe - just too easy to pass up the chance, and all in fun.

I recommend the thread be renamed: "Pacific City Dory fishing (all purposes, except to pick on Joe)"

I'll change the subject...
https://www.ifish.net/board/showpost....&postcount=242
I too am curious what configurations work BEST on the deck of a dory.
I still have an essentially blank-slate and need to decide what to do with it.

Last edited by IIonPilgrimg; 02-04-2015 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:38 AM   #58
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:
Sorry, Joe - just too easy to pass up the chance, and all in fun.

I recommend the thread be renamed: "Pacific City Dory fishing (all purposes, except to pick on Joe)"

I'll change the subject...
https://www.ifish.net/board/showpost....&postcount=242
I too am curious what configurations work BEST on the deck of a dory.
I still have an essentially blank-slate and need to decide what to do with it.
It's all good. The truth is, one of the snaps on that life jacket was broken. I was pretty sure that if Charles knew, I would not get to go with. So I faked it.

The other pic is even better. A kill bag full of ice , well aft, truly is the best seat on any dory. I had just woken up from a 20+ mile nap.

Last edited by Joe Evens; 02-04-2015 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:28 AM   #59
Tinman

Quote:
It's all good. The truth is, one of the snaps on that life jacket was broken. I was pretty sure that if Charles knew, I would not get to go with. So I faked it.

The other pic is even better. A kill bag full of ice , well aft, truly is the best seat on any dory. I had just woken up from a 20+ mile nap.
Aw Joe, I had a bunch of other PFDs, you should have said something. Anway that was one of the best days of the summer. Thanks again, Joe, for being part of the first saltwater splash of the wherry.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:12 AM   #60
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

If you take Joe out past the 125 be sure you take lots of pizza, otherwise he will get into the fish box.

PS. I thought every thread was a pick on Joe thread

Last edited by Gun Rod Bow; 02-04-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Gun Rod Bow is offline   Reply With Quote