Splicing rope. - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Tech Tips and Keepers

Old 11-19-2004, 09:06 AM   #1
Gundog
King Salmon

Default Splicing rope.

Are any of you interested in learning to properly splice various types of ropes eyes chockers ect? I can teach a small free course if any of you are interested. I can teach you to splice cover and core yacht type rope, hollow core or 3 strand type rope. These work good for anchor lines or docking lines. E-mail me if you are interested.

After looking at some of the other posts I will try and take some pictures and describe some splices on here.

I will be adding pictures of some splices and simple knots on 11/22/04.
Mike

Gundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2004, 08:28 AM   #2
cutt plug
Tuna!

Default Re: Splicing rope.

Sounds like you have rope experience. A how-to on knots and types of knots for different applications would be helpful. I see too many "granny" knots on ropes used in tension. A simple bowline can be used by many.
cutt plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 08:24 PM   #3
Pete
Administrator

Splices have always mystified me. I've tried splicing ends and loops and I certainly don't have the art down. Then, yesterday, I was reading about splicing thick steel cables and wondered how hard that must be. Thanks for offering to share your talent!
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2004, 09:33 PM   #4
Gundog
King Salmon

Ok I am going to try and post these pictures and explain what I am doing. This first splice is an Eye splice form the eye any size you like. The eye and the back splice start the same burn the end of the rope or tape each individual group of threads together we will call this a strand a group of threads is a strand 3 strands in this type of rope. I like to burn the whole end of the rope and after it cools pull them apart.

Fold the 3 strands back against the main body of the rope creating the eye size you desire. Twist the rope against itself to open up the lays. Take the middle strand and push it through the hole from right to left and pull it through up close.

[

Now take the strand to the right and twist the rope to open another hole on the next lay to the right push it through from right to left. Twist the rope again and take the remaining strand the one on the left and push it through the lay on the left from right to left . Make sure you push all of the strands through from right to left. You should have all 3 strands sticking out of the main body of the rope equal distance apart around the rope.

Now twist the rope open again and start with any of the strands sticking out go over one lay and under the next. Work your way around the splice repeating this pattern over one under one. When you have made three tucks or more on each strand you have made an eye splice.

You will have some tag ends sticking out. Depending on what you will use the eye for you can do 1 of 2 things with the tag ends you can taper them by cutting away the threads a small amount at the end close to where the strand exits the splice more and more to the end of the tag ends. Then push the tag ends through just like before over one under one. The reason for tapering the splice is for running it up close into a block. If you are not going to run the splice up close in a block you can just cut the tag ends off about 1/2" from the splice and roll it in your hands so it frays the tag ends.

Now we will make an adjustable loop called a "Becky". Form a loop in the rope the largest size you will want to have and add 8" to that. Tape or burn the end of the rope. Twist the rope against itself until it looks like the picture below.

You should be able to form three small loops, the stiffer the rope the harder this is to do. Crab rope would be very hard to do but it is possible. Push the rope through the open loops like the pictures below.

Pull the rope through at least the extra 8" or more. Next we will make a back splice. This splice is to stop the rope from accidently pulling through the Becky you just made. The back splice also makes a fancy little whoha for the end of a rope. The start of this splice is the hard part I am not sure how to explain how to make it. I think if you study the picture below you can repeat the weave pattern.

Now pull the strands down tight to look like the picture below.

Now just like the eye splice twist open the lays and go over one under one. Follow that pattern all the way around the splice at least three tucks or as long as you like. The back splice should look like the picture below.

This should be your final product with the Becky and back splice. You now have a adjustable loop put an eye splice in the other end and you have a light duty adjustable choker. I use this setup for my boat bumpers. this allows you to adjust for different dock heights.

Here is a simple bowline knot.

Lets go fishing
Mike
Old 11-21-2004, 08:12 AM   #5
Rakkasan
Ifish Nate

Here are a couple of links I posted on the "Anchor Knot Post"

http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/eyesplicingeli.htm

This is a good one:

http://www.btinternet.com/~arb_excha...t_3splice.html

Splicing takes practice. If you are interested in learning purchase some decent three stran line (rope) and go for it. Just remember to leave your ends at least an inch long. Once you put preasure on the splice it will sinch down and pull them in a bit. You cannot go wrong with splicing.

Dave
Rakkasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 04:44 PM   #6
[email protected]
AdminiMom

What a great and helpful post!
Thank you so much!
Jen

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Jennie@ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:37 PM   #7
Gundog
King Salmon

Simple cable splice. This splice is called a Flemish eye splice. I am going to put a disclaimer here. If you plan on using this cable for lifting or criticle area for safety purposes I suggest you go to your local wire rope dealer and have this eye made. A properly made Flemish eye splice with the proper swedge is usually rated for the strength of the cable %100. If you are making a new eye for your down rigger cable by all means continue or if you are stuck deer hunting and have just snapped your winch cable this might come in handy.

Unwind the the groups of strands this cable has 6 lays of strands with a core. Split the lays 3 & 3 with the core inside one groups of 3 see picture below.Unwrap more than you need to form your eye by about 10 - 20 times the diameter of the cable.

Fold the cable halves together forming the desired eye size and wrap the groups of lays back together like the picture below.

Continue to wrap the lays back around until the extra extends back down the length of the cable. If you are splicing a down rigger cable I would leave the ends long and use a electrical connector to swedge the cable ends down. Put the connector on the cable before starting the splice. You could also use a cable bolt if looks are not a factor. If this is not going to have much tension on it you could cut the ends to tuck in at the base of the eye and call it good.

Now lets go fishing.
Mike
Old 11-22-2004, 06:21 PM   #8
[email protected]
AdminiMom

Wow! Where can I put this that we would benefit most? Tech tips? Salty dogs? Ideas, you guys? This is an excellent post!
Jen

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Jennie@ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 06:25 PM   #9
SalmonJeff

some body fix the pics for this guy please!!
great post!!
SalmonJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 06:44 PM   #10
Gundog
King Salmon

Sorry I deleted the pictures by accident. I did not save them anywhere so if I can't retrieve them I will retake and repost them. Darn computers another lesson learned the hard way.
Mike

I was able to get them out of the recycle bin and repost to photo bucket the service I use for online photos.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:48 PM   #11
Gundog
King Salmon

The photos are back. I have some photos to post on the braided type rope used for anchors and such but I have got to figure out how to post them. It takes 20 pictures to show and my online account at photo bucket does not have enough room. I will read and figure out how to load on this site. By the way if any of you have problems with any of these splices I will be glad to show you in person. I am new to the area and would like to meet some fishing buddies. I am boatless right now but I will be buying a new boat soon.
Mike

Lets go fishing
Old 11-22-2004, 09:41 PM   #12
Gundog
King Salmon

This splice is for single braid yacht type rope also known as hollow core. This rope is not to be confused with double braid yacht rope or cover and core. The two types of rope are spliced differently. I am not going to cover the double braid but if anyone wants to splice it, I can do it just drop me a PM and we can get together and I will show you it is a little more involved and it took me 20 pictures to show this splice. I hope it will all make sense. I will start by showing a finished splice for both types of braided rope the red one is single braid.

You will need a few tools to splice this rope. In a perfect world we would have the proper fids for this but it is not necessary. I made my own out of some large copper wire you could use anything even a coat hanger. I will show a picture with everything I used to make this splice. Home made fid, knife, ruler, masking tape, Upholsters needle, splicing twine (GI Joes has the twine), marker & lighter.

To start with you need to know what size rope you have. All of the measuring you will do is in fid lengths. The fid for " single braid is 11" over all and has a mark on it 4 1/8" from one end that measurement is called a short fid length and the 11" is a full fid length. For 3/8" rope fid length is 2 7/8" short and 7 3.4 over all. For 7/16' rope fid length is 3 9/16" short and 9 over all. That should cover most of the anchor rope for small fishing boats. If you need any others PM me. Grab your fid 1/4" drill rod works good make a dull point on one end. Lay your rope out and measure one full fid length + one short fid length from the end of the rope make a mark with the pen. Now make the second mark two full fid lengths up the rope.

Form an eye the size you want if using a thimble lay the rope around it for your size using the second mark as the start point for the eye and make a third mark at the other point of the eye like the picture below.

Take the rope and from the first mark count three pairs of strands down the rope towards the end of the rope mark the fourth set of strands. Do this two more times and make another mark each time. The end of your rope should be taped. Grab those marked strands and pull them out and cut them off you are tapering the line to make it easier later on.

Now take the tape off the end and try not to unravel it anymore than you have to. Take your tape and make a couple raps around the fid on the dull end about were your short fid mark is wide tape works best it is stronger (I used electrical tape) use masking tape it works better. Stick the fid inside the rope a few inches and tape it down as tight as you can but try not to get the tape too thick. Yours should look like the picture bellow only with masking tape.

Now you are going to stick the fid through at your second mark the start of your eye. Do not split any strands go between and try to go through with equal amount on both sides.

Pull the fid through but if you are using a thimble insert it and snug it up make sure you dont get any twists in the rope. Now count 3 pairs of strands down the body of the rope and push the fid through again between the third and fourth pair of strands go all of the way through the rope again and pull it snug.

Count three more pairs of strands and insert the fid again but this time dont go all the way through feed the fid through the center of the rope and make the fid exit through the third mark you made. You will notice you have more rope than I do in the picture that is because I did not have enough rope to do all of the splices I wanted to show and shortened my measurements up a little. You need to work the tail all of the way through the center of the rope this is not easy if you are not careful you will pull the fid off of the rope and you will have to pull it out and re-attach it

You will have more rope exiting the main body of the rope than I do. Work the rope down and smooth it out then make a mark where the tail exits the main body of rope. Push the main body of the rope back up towards the eye bunching it up cut the tail off a half inch towards the eye from where you made the mark. Now you want to taper the splice so count up from the end you just cut and remove every fourth pair of strands 3 sets. Then smooth the splice back down and the tail should disappear. Your splice should look like this.

Congratulations you have just made an eye splice I knew you could do it. But you are not done you need to put a whip lock on it so that it cant work loose. It would never work loose under tension but if you pull it up in to a shiv after time it might start milking it down. There are different types of whip locks I like this one because I think it looks cool. Pull out 6 full fid lengths of twine. And lay it out like the picture below.

You should have the short tail pointing at the eye and start wrapping the long end around the main body of the splice about 3 pairs of strands down the body from the last tuck point. Wrap it down the splice away from the eye about the diameter of the rope. Now go through the loop you have left on the end like the picture below.

Now pull both ends and dont pull it all of the way through try and center it like the next picture.

Now thread the needle with the long end of the twine a little more than half way. Stick the needle through the main body at 180* splitting the splice in half try not to go through the middle of a strand if you do pull it back a little and work it over and push it back through. It should look like this.

Ok I ran out of picture space so I am going to try and talk you through the rest. Insert the need on the other side of the wraps you made earlier. This time push the needle through at 90* coming out at a quarter of the way around. Now go straight back across the wraps stick the needle back through the rope and go through at 180* again. Repeat and go through at 90* then across and push the needle back through at your starting point. Pull it all tight but dont distort the whip lock and cut all of the ends sticking out off close and burn them with the lighter taking care not to burn the rope. Now your done and I need a beer.
Mike
Old 11-22-2004, 09:59 PM   #13
Rakkasan
Ifish Nate

I am seeing some work done by some people who apparently worked on large boats? Nice posts folks . Once you learn splicing you will never go back to knots for a lot of things.

Dave
Old 11-23-2004, 12:30 AM   #14
lingslayer
King Salmon

I vote Tech Tips!

Now we'll see if I can follow directions!! :smile:

Jamie
Old 11-23-2004, 06:24 AM   #15
fish assassin
Tuna!

I love the Tech Tips, too!! I've been splicing 3 strand crab rope until my hands are
raw! My son-in-law showed me how he did it in the CG and I started that way. Similar
to whats pictured above. I then had a crabbing budy of mine show me what he called a
"tapered splice". I turned several ropes into lines ( ) this way before I realized
that the splice didn't look near as strong.

I went back to my son-in-law and had him show me how to do it correctly again. The
reason they use the tapered splice is because it feeds through the crab block better.
I think it might also be a good way to lose more pots??

~assAssin~
Old 11-23-2004, 10:32 AM   #16
Gundog
King Salmon

Dave,
I learned these skills from working as a power Lineman for over 20 years. I wish I could work on a big boat but I get sea sick.
Mike
Old 11-23-2004, 11:36 AM   #17
Rakkasan
Ifish Nate

Gundog,

Nice post. I wish I had the time to make up posts like that More power to ya. Great job.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:57 PM   #18
KChookem
Tuna!

Hi Mike (Gundog)...

Thanks for the work and the photo's! If I lived closer to Vancouver USA, I would have taken you up on your offer for a small class on splicing.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:17 PM   #19
OutTrolling (ot)
Steelhead

Gundog! Fantastic presentation. You are definately a prof with that rope tying series. I wish I were a little closer. Too bad there isn't some place half way between your place and the coast to meet so that several could have a training session and no one person would have to travel so far. Great job!!!
Old 02-25-2005, 03:24 PM   #20
SandySteel
Ifish Nate

Can this be placed in tech tips please?