How do you become a government hunter? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 12-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
Sunnygx
Ifish Nate

Default How do you become a government hunter?

So I read all these threads about Government/ Fed hunters making big money hunting and trapping predators.

I read this and can't help but wonder where I went wrong. Sure my job is ok, and I make a modest income. But man, to get paid to hunt coyotes, cougars, and bears. That would be awesome.

Maybe it is not too late for me. What steps does one need to take to become a contract predator controller? Where do I sign? (totally serious here, really wanna know how to do it)

Sunnygx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
jp8102
Chromer

Default Re: How do you become a government hunter?

I would get ahold of your local government trapper and ask. most of the time they will also have a hound or two that they can use for problem lions or bears. i wouldnt say they make bank, the one i know dont exactly make a great living at it. they pull just more then a full time minimum wage guy. last time i looked into it they were gettin around 24K a year, but the downside is now they cant keep any hides. when they could keep hides they were in much better shape. trappin 50 bobcats, 50 badger and 200 yotes a year aint a bad paycheck at all in the spring.trust me i would love to do it and would sign up for it if i could make a career out of it. then i know some government "hunters" that do it just to be able to keep dogs in shape in the dead months of the year
JP

JP
jp8102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
huntumup
Chromer

Around our neck of the woods you would want to contact the private big timber owners. They are always having issues with bears and beavers. As far a the goverment emplyees, the ones I have known have been laid off due to buget crunch. Might look into becoming a contractor with the state. Good Luck.
huntumup is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
GDuck
Tuna!

Its a very confusing situation with them. They are no longer referred to as a "government hunter". They are formally educated "biologists" who work for the APHIS...Animal Plant and Health Inspection Service of the US Dept of Agriculture.

Here is the site for them: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/index.shtml

Here is the link to a job opening with them right now:

http://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDe...qualifications

IIRC at some point, I think when APHIS became its own arm of USDA, they changed the "requirements"....and the guys I ran into years ago--your typical government trapper, sure did not have any "degree" in biology. They were pretty much retired cowboy/farmer/rancher/outdoors types people.

If you examine the site above, you'll find a "history" section. That is the part that is very confusing, as they interview many people who were just like I described, and they sure are not "biologists". I think the era of common sense/experience vs. formal education came upon them about a decade ago.

**I will say, I do know of a person that still works for them. COOL! is the only term to describe certain things he gets to use.

Hope that helps (at least for info).

GD

Last edited by GDuck; 12-30-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling
GDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
ruttinbull
Steelhead

Having big bucks is not how I would describe the agents I have known through the years. All I have met live on fairly modest incomes. Further, once killing becomes a business it no longer is "fun."

Last edited by ruttinbull; 12-30-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: typo
ruttinbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
Sunnygx
Ifish Nate

Well the whole biology degree thing puts me out. Going back to school and racking up a bunch of student loans to come out and make less money than when I went in takes all the fun right out of that career.

Pretty funny that you would need a biology degree for that job.
Sunnygx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
OTT2
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnygx View Post
Well the whole biology degree thing puts me out. Going back to school and racking up a bunch of student loans to come out and make less money than when I went in takes all the fun right out of that career.

Pretty funny that you would need a biology degree for that job.
Pretty stiff competition to get alot of these jobs!!

I can say that working for the State of OR ain't all that grand!!!
OTT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
elkhuntr28
Tuna!

The link posted is for a job in Queens, NY. Not exactly where one thinks of for a government trapper / hunter to be needed. . .unless they are after rats.
Fisherman's Prayer -- Lord, let me catch a fish so large, that even I, when telling of it afterwards will have no need to lie. .The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
elkhuntr28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
baltz526
King Salmon

A regular trapper can make a few bucks in the winter. 5 bobcat is the $ limiting factor on the east side, i think. It is a LOT of work, A LOT of driving on bad roads, A LOT of fuel, wear and tear on your rig. And a down right gruesome job when you get down to it. But i bet you can clear $2 or $3 Per hour if your good and lucky. I have talked to a few over the years, My old neighbor used to be a trapper And saw a little of the process. I might get to go out on a trap line in about a month for a day. I sure hope to anyway, the invitation sounds very interesting. One "goverment" trapper i talked to years ago got $1 per muskrat bounty and whatever he could sell the skins for. I seem to remember him saying $0.75 each. If you can not sell them ? Rabies would make me think hard about doing it for a living.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
GDuck
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhuntr28 View Post
The link posted is for a job in Queens, NY. Not exactly where one thinks of for a government trapper / hunter to be needed. . .unless they are after rats.
I thought the same thing about the rats....then again, if you read it closely, I think-don't laugh- its about controlling pigeons. That conjures up a whole lot of interesting scenarios....

GD
GDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
lovdasnow
Steelhead

they don't make piles of money. not sure where that idea came from?
lovdasnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:23 PM   #12
jcathunter
Tuna!

Take all of your morals and throw them out the window. Then, accept the fact that you are cutting the throat of every sport hunter. Those are the first steps to becoming a govt hunter. Aphis states in their contracts that sport hunting is not allowed while they are snaring bears and/or doing other damage work. That is why it is illegal to kill bears on weyerhauser property as well as many others. I have volunteered as a govt sellout and will never do it again. If we do not demand the right to handle damage by sport hunting, aphis will push us out because they are the politically correct solution to sport hunting.
jcathunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:57 PM   #13
Fried Oyster
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcathunter View Post
That is why it is illegal to kill bears on weyerhauser property as well as many others. .

Waoh! Where can we verify this?
Old 12-31-2011, 08:07 PM   #14
jcathunter
Tuna!

Call them. They also do not allow any trapping or hound hunting of any kind
Old 12-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #15
jcathunter
Tuna!

Take a look at the cascades spring bear tag. It is national forest only. Aphis snares timber property at that time HEAVILY. Coincidence????