Does anyone remember the old SoCal Fishing Barges? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 05-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
BethAnn
Cutthroat

Question Does anyone remember the old SoCal Fishing Barges?

As a kid, we used to go out on the transport boat and stay all night on the barge to fish. When we got tired we would climb up a wall ladder and find an empty bunk for a few hours rocked to sleep by the sea. For a child, nothing compared to being allowed to stay up all night and be able to fish...bonito, barracuda, and other species. I think we went off one of the piers, probably Santa Monica but it might have been Redondo. This was about 1969. I sure wish I knew the boat's name, but I know it's gone by now. I'm hoping someone else was a little older and might remember more about the fishing barges.

BethAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
Finny Business
Tuna!

Default Re: Does anyone remember the old SoCal Fishing Barges?

I never did this when i was a kid but a quick google search brought me this... http://glumacefishing.com/2009/06/ba...hing-as-a-kid/

looks pretty interesting. I think if i had access to something like that as a kid i would have been all over that. cool!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
fishscale
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethAnn View Post
As a kid, we used to go out on the transport boat and stay all night on the barge to fish. When we got tired we would climb up a wall ladder and find an empty bunk for a few hours rocked to sleep by the sea. For a child, nothing compared to being allowed to stay up all night and be able to fish...bonito, barracuda, and other species. I think we went off one of the piers, probably Santa Monica but it might have been Redondo. This was about 1969. I sure wish I knew the boat's name, but I know it's gone by now. I'm hoping someone else was a little older and might remember more about the fishing barges.
I used to love those barges. When I used to fish the Redondo barges, there were three of them and you could take the transport boat from one to the other if you didn't like the action on the one you were on. I used to like the biggest one best. I believe it was called the Sacramento. It seemed to have the best fishing action. Me and my friends used to fish for bonito and catch a bunch of them on the Sacramento. This would drive the old timers crazy cuz all they wanted to do was fish the bottom in peace and drag up an occasional lifeless tom cod. Bonito and kids have never been peaceful critters. Well, now I am older than those old timers and I still have never fished for those Tom Cod and never plan to.
fishscale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
BethAnn
Cutthroat

I wish I could remember more about the actual boat we used to go out on, and maybe find some photos of it. I think they had a bait tank. The funniest memories were the recent immigrants who would go out there to fish, make a crazy cast and catch somebodies ear or nose. This happened at lot! We got used to knowing which ones to watch when they cast. I think we did catch tom cod too, when nothing else was biting.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
BethAnn
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finny Business View Post
I never did this when i was a kid but a quick google search brought me this... http://glumacefishing.com/2009/06/ba...hing-as-a-kid/

looks pretty interesting. I think if i had access to something like that as a kid i would have been all over that. cool!

I wish I could see an inside shot of the Isle of Redondo and compare it with my memory. I wonder if I can track down what years it floated off Redondo. We never went out on an uncovered boat like the Matt Walsh pictured there. The Annie B. was too far away, I don't think Dad would have taken us that far south if one was closer to us. I sure wish we had taken the Kodak Brownie out with us on those trips.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
fishscale
Steelhead

Quote:
Found a thread on another discussion group about the barges...http://bdoutdoors.com/forums/califor...fishing-3.html
It might be an interesting read for you. It did refresh my memory on the names of the barges that were there when I fished in Redondo. In addition to the Sacramento, there was the C-Coaster and the California.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
fishscale
Steelhead

Quote:
I wonder if I can track down what years it floated off Redondo.
According to the link below "The Isle of Redondo fishing barge operated from 1980 to 1997 before it was sold to become a floating restaurant in Florida."

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/AREA+F...EN.-a083828662
Old 05-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #8
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

I grew up down there and spent my jr high and high school
Summers as a "barge rat." was there around '82-'89. there was only one barge in service when I was there and that was the Isle of Redondo. What a blast. Remember Thursday shark nights? Saw a 9 ft Hammerhead get caught out there, several Makos. We used to stay overnigt catching makeral for bait, threw em in the bait tank then fly line the next morning for Yellowtail (I was lucky to be in high school when an el nio hit so we had a couple of summers with Yellowtail in close). Good times. The half-day boat out of Redondo was the Redondo Special. Can't remember the name of the boat that shuttled us to the barge. Was the same two level boat they used for whale watching excursions...

Last edited by Nor Cal Drifter; 05-30-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Nor Cal Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
Ray S.
Ray S.

There was also a barge out of Belmont Shores pier. It was anchored just inside the breakwater at the se end of the Long Beach/L. A. harbor. This was in the late 50's and early 60's. Lots of fun for kids catching bonita and occasional sand bass and halibut. The Matt Walsh was a half day boat out of Pierpoint landing in Long Beach. I can remember filling trash cans with barracuda up on the bow. We used to coon em out at horseshoe kelp and the hunington flats. South Cal was actually kinda nice back in those days. It got to be way too crowded a long time ago....so sad I think they call it progress.
See ya
Ray
Old 05-31-2011, 07:16 AM   #10
DoryDrifter
Tuna!

I remember fishing the Barge near Redondo. Lots of "Sable Fish" and Mackerel. Occasionally a bonita, barracuda or the ultimate prize, a Yellowtail. I can still picture the large plywood bait tank at the stern, and the cheeseburgers from the galley. Great memories!
DoryDrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:29 AM   #11
Thumper
King Salmon

What did they charge?

Tillamook Anglers!!! Good people doing great things!
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
Smkhuz
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
What did they charge?
This sounds like a heck of a way to spend summer vacations as a kid! Im interested in the cost too, and was there a time limit to stay on the barge? 12,16,24hr trips?
Smkhuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:20 AM   #13
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Can't remember the cost...maybe 20 bucks for the day? They had two "shifts"...day and night. You pay the fee and could go out for the day anytime between 7am and 6pm, then it switched over to night fishing which went from 6pm until the next morning. Shuttle boats were every hour on the hour and you could come and go whenever you wanted.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
Salmon Noob
Steelhead

aaahhh yes those were there days =) Man I miss that type fishing so much. I been thinking about taking my kids down to so Cal for some pier fishing. I'm sure they would have a blast. To bad they don't have fishing piers or barge fishing up here.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.- Ronald Reagan
Salmon Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:16 PM   #15
logical1
Steelhead

wow I totally forgot about the fishing barges, too funny. I grew up in norwalk and man if my grandfather and I werent going out of 22nd street landing in long beach deep sea fishing we were going for the day or the night to the barges...
mackerel (too many, and the rose bush garden saw them all)
bonita ...yep all day and we always took them and the barricuda home to eat....fried just like everything else grandma would make (including ribeye steaks)
I even caught a halibut (not legal I remember having to throw it backl)
and we would catch rays and sometimes starfish where our bait was supposed to be. Great call on bringing up some good memories, let them keep coming.
grandpa is gone now, but the fishing I do now is more than enough to keep him with me....
Old 05-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #16
Ray S.
Ray S.

Thumper,
I was thinking about that today while watching my rod tip doing the happy kwikkie dance. In the early sixties the number I kept thinking was 4 bucks for kids under 16. That included live anchovies for bait and the ride in and out on the shore boat.
Ray
Old 06-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #17
tooner
Steelhead

When I was 10 around 1962 my step dad worked a sport fishing boat out of paridise cove in Malibu. The Betty'o & the Gentleman as a deck hand. Mom worked in the resturant on shore but when they got busy out on the barge she would work the galley out there. I used to ride the shuttle out to the barge & fish for free. Mom would make me a lunch, then back into shore to go swimming. I don't remember the name of that barge boat. Spent a couple of great summers out there until my brother came along, then life as I knew it changed since I was the livin babysitter.

Around 1965 we moved to newport beach ca. & my step dad worked as a deck hand out of davey Jones locker.
tooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #18
Booja 1
Tuna!

Quote:

Sacramento and the Californian,,,barges off Redondo,,jump onboard for a whopping 6 bucks..............late 60's early 70's
Booja 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #19
[email protected]
Steelhead

I grew up in Redondo Beach, grad 1967. Used to go out on those barges all the time. Saw my second UFO out there. Had to be around 1963-64. They would remove them (Barges)in the winter and return in spring. Always caught blue shark out there, and everything else. You know we had it good back then
rsalata@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #20
[email protected]
Steelhead

Quote:

When did you Graduate? What school?
rsalata@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote