Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 02-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
Joe Schmo
Ifish Nate

Default The River Why? (movie)

I wasn't planning on this thing going to #1 at the box office but I know that it's been made, right? I can't find it anywhere... Netflix has a description on it but they don't have it available to rent, not for sale on eBay... anybody got info?

Joe Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
team anarchy
Sturgeon

Default Re: The River Why? (movie)

Guess I'm in the dark. What is it?
team anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
Rustyoar
Ifish Nate

I thought there was some legal issues going on with it. The author didn't like the movie or something like that.
Rustyoar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by team anarchy View Post
Guess I'm in the dark. What is it?
The River Why is a 1983 novel about a 20 year old flyfishermen growing up and finding the love of his life on Oregon coastal streams. It is a spiritual journey. The author, David James Duncan, went on to become a political advocate for salmon, and especially the breaching of the Snake River Dams.

He is one of my favorite writers, and The River Why ranks up there with A River Runs Through It in angling literature.

His later Books, notably River Teeth and My Story as Told By Water, are excellent.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
PinkWorm
Cutthroat

I definitely enjoyed the book and had not heard they made a movie..
Would also be interested in seeing it sometime. After a google search I found a trailer.
http://www.theriverwhy.com/TRAILER/
PinkWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
AlseaAssassin
Sturgeon

Apparently the movie got some unfavorable reviews at a few film festivals so they went back to the editing booth. I guess it ran too long or something (probably perfect for those of us who love the book).
AlseaAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
Joe Schmo
Ifish Nate

Gotcha AA. So basically they're gonna cut out all the stuff that only fisherman can truly feel in their souls
Joe Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
nakoa
Ifish Nate

looks good
Old 02-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
maniacmikey
Ifish Nate

http://www.theriverwhy.com/trw-blog/...the-river-why/

Here is a link to their blog with locations they will be screening the movie in the future.
maniacmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
lilnorthfork
Sturgeon

a very worthwhile read...
http://shuksanrods.wordpress.com/201...ver-why-movie/
Old 08-15-2011, 08:12 AM   #11
Penobscot
King Salmon

Saw the movie last night on Showtime.
Overall I thought it was pretty good, the fishing shots were better than usual for a movie.
Not as good as the book but definitely worth watching and over all well done.
Penobscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:30 AM   #12
Hare's Ear
Tuna!

Thanks for the heads up. I was still waiting for it to come out in theaters.
Hare's Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #13
soulrider
Tuna!

That movie was filmed all over Oregon, AND at The World Forestry center ( where I work) It was pretty cool being there for the day of filming, The part where H2O? is doing a book signing and hooks Gus was shot inside the museum. I have been waiting to hear about it. Guess I should do some looking.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #14
kdcpeloton
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrider View Post
That movie was filmed all over Oregon, AND at The World Forestry center ( where I work) It was pretty cool being there for the day of filming, The part where H2O? is doing a book signing and hooks Gus was shot inside the museum. I have been waiting to hear about it. Guess I should do some looking.
Hi,
Can you please tell everyone at The World Forestry Center that the movie opens Sept 9 for a week run at the Hollywood Theatre? We're having a special benefit screening for River Network on that same day with Zach Gilford, William Hurt and Alex Hurt as special guests. Hope you all can come! www.theriverwhy.inticketing.com

best,
Kristi (the producer)
kdcpeloton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #15
kdcpeloton
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnorthfork View Post
Hi,
It's always good to know both sides of the story. Here's our version. No matter what, David is a good man and a great writer. I hope people read his books and come see our movie.

Response to Author Dispute and “The River Why”

Disputes between filmmakers and authors are, unfortunately, not unusual in the film business. PJ Travers was never happy with Disney’s interpretation of “Mary Poppins”. Ken Kesey wasn’t happy with Michael Douglas’ interpretation of “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”. Those are just two well known examples. There are many more.

Perhaps it will help if you have some background on the making of “The River Why” from the producer of the film.

After the film rights had been shopped around Hollywood without success, my husband, Tom Cohen secured them in the mid-1980s. He offered David the opportunity to write the script. David was appreciative of the offer, gave it a shot, but then acknowledged he did not have “the Zen beginner’s mind” to do so, so Tom then hired John Osborn (author of The Paper Chase) to co-write the script with him. David indicated he wanted to take another stab at writing the script about a year later, but it was too late as the script was already in process. David read an early draft of the script in 1984, but has not read one since. Tom planned to direct, but the recession of the late 1980s’s forced him to put the project on the back burner and he became a lawyer.

We always planned to shoot the film in Oregon, even going so far as to scout locations on our honeymoon there in 1987. We had occasional inquiries regarding the rights throughout the 1990s, but no serious interest. So, in 2004, following the success of my documentary, “Vertical Frontier”, I decided to give The River Why one more shot and produce it myself.

We filmed in Oregon in 2008. What motivated us to shoot that summer was not the threats of David’s lawsuits (I did ask him to join me in the effort to make the film in 2004 and again later, but he wasn’t interested). First, two of our principle actors – William Hurt and Zach Gilford – only had small windows in which to work that year because of their other projects – William on “Damages” and Zach on “Friday Night Lights” ; secondly, the outdoor shooting season is short in Oregon and we couldn’t shoot in January when Zach would be available again. Zach Gilford is an avid outdoorsman who still leads wilderness trips for kids when his schedule allows and we wanted him in the role. Thirdly, because of the threat of the SAG strike that summer and the slow down in production, we were able to work with some of Oregon’s finest film crews.

I hope our movie is successful for many reasons, but I can outline two here. Part of the film has been funded by what I call “socially responsible film investing”. About one-third of the money was donated. This amount will be “re-gifted” to non-profits that support rivers and fish. If the movie is successful, that amount will grow. It is my hope we will be supporting some of the very issues David has written about so brilliantly in his other books.

As David says on his website, “I was awarded a settlement”. He was also paid for the rights to make the film. He cashed the checks from the 1980’s agreement and again from the settlement in 2008. The last I heard, he has never seen the finished film. He also says “Peace”. We both want that. I wish him all the best and hope the movie will encourage even more people to read the book.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #16
kdcpeloton
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlseaAssassin View Post
Apparently the movie got some unfavorable reviews at a few film festivals so they went back to the editing booth. I guess it ran too long or something (probably perfect for those of us who love the book).
We did have to cut a couple of much loved scenes because of length, but well before we went to film festivals. If you go to our website, you'll see the festivals in which the film has played. It has been a successful run. The DVD,VOD, Bluray come out on Nov 8. We'll be taking preorders soon.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #17
kdcpeloton
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Schmo View Post
Gotcha AA. So basically they're gonna cut out all the stuff that only fisherman can truly feel in their souls

Sure hope you don't think that after you see the film. We had some great people involved with shooting the fishing scenes and our director, Matt Leutwyler, is a great director - and great fly fisherman himself.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #18
kdcpeloton
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Schmo View Post
I wasn't planning on this thing going to #1 at the box office but I know that it's been made, right? I can't find it anywhere... Netflix has a description on it but they don't have it available to rent, not for sale on eBay... anybody got info?
Hi Joe,
We'll be doing some special benefit screenings around the country this fall for river and fish conservation groups. As mentioned below, the DVD/VOD/bluray will be released Nov 8.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:57 AM   #19
dreamboater
Steelhead

Exclamation Re: The River Why? (movie)

The movie has been running on Showtime
dreamboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #20
OutdoorBum
Tuna!

It was an OK movie. I felt the acting left a lot to be desired
"There is in every American, I think, something of the old Daniel Boone--who, when he would see the smoke from another chimney, felt himself too crowded and moved further out into the wilderness" Hubert H. Humphrey
OutdoorBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #21
boilerbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
The River Why is a 1983 novel about a 20 year old flyfishermen growing up and finding the love of his life on Oregon coastal streams. It is a spiritual journey. The author, David James Duncan, went on to become a political advocate for salmon, and especially the breaching of the Snake River Dams.

He is one of my favorite writers, and The River Why ranks up there with A River Runs Through It in angling literature.
I agree. Neither book was about fishing and this film seemed to concentrate on it without the understanding of it as a vehicle. I have now seen the film twice and tried to get a sense of where they were going with it. I agree with the Duncan- it has been "Marin"d. Its not a travesty but it certainly isn't the book. The whole scenes that were left out were the heart of the book. The whole philosophy of the transference of soul by the mother and H20 was handled in 2 minutes of screen time at the end. They were the prime influences on the conflicts in life that took Gus on his journey. How we change and the passages and awaking we make and go through in life's journeys. The long journeys up and down the river were left out along with the core reason for those journeys. The end of feeling no longer an adversary but being part of the same universe the fish lived in and thus a feeling of zen satisfaction with what life seems to be offering was thrown out with out telling the audience what was going on. Eddie's part was handled like typical Hollyweird love interest instead of the final catalyst that awakened Gus to his /their place in the world. Great voice over could have been used. Handled like a freshman film maker. If A River Runs Through It was a 10, this was a 1
Didn't even get one star on dish networks (TV Guide) rating system. Poor direction, aimless editing, throwing away good acting talent, useless script. Set piece scenes and no thoughtful soft scenics, just hard sunlight and terminal low water. Establishment long shot, medium shot, close up, reaction shot. Formula. Amateur. This film really destroys what a great book created. Total let down and not worth the effort watching.

I live with the calm of the Siletz, one of the rivers mentioned most often as the source river for the book. If it wasn't, it is for me.
boilerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #22
Cohodependent
Tuna!

The thing that I feel was missing was the philosophical dialog that could have been added to the long extended silences of the film. There seemed to be a lot of places where the main character was walking along a river with out any kind of voice over dialog.

The film missed the main feel from the book. But in their defence the book is a very complex story and would be very hard to translate to film...

Andrew
Old 08-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #23
boilerbay

[QUOTE=the book is a very complex story and would be very hard to translate to film...

Andrew[/QUOTE]
As I understand it, it was always the problem. Many, many shied away from it for that reason.
boilerbay is offline   Reply With Quote