Danielson crab pots- any good? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 09-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
orapaho
Cutthroat

Default Danielson crab pots- any good?

I was wondering if these collapsing crab pots have any hangups. I saw someones post that the crab will leave the pot once they have finished off the bait. Any truth to that claim? Should I stick with crab rings?

orapaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Rimshot
Tuna!

Default Re: Danielson crab pots- any good?

They work. Put some weight in them and zip tie the joints to stiffen them up.
Rimshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
bigredapes
Steelhead

here's my 2 cents:
I feel that they are a "crab pot kit". trying to fish as they are they aren't that great, but once you add some weight (rebar ziptied to the bottom or bricks or stones) and put a little weight on the doors, they are wonderful!
(oh yeah -- don't forget the rope and floats)

Just be careful how you tie your rope on so that they come up straight and flat. Otherwise the trap may collapse on itself if you pull it up by 1 side.
I tie mine up so they cannot collapse on me (but that means I store full sized crab pots and not flat ones) and do just as good as my buddies who are fishing $100+ pot setups.
bigredapes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
fishgetter
Tuna!

I think you have it backwards, crabs leave rings after the bait is eaten, the legal size crabs cannot leave a pot after the bait is eaten unless the doors get stuck or work improperly. Danielson pots work well with a little rebar added for weight and some weighted door modifications.
fishgetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
orapaho
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgetter View Post
I think you have it backwards, crabs leave rings after the bait is eaten, the legal size crabs cannot leave a pot after the bait is eaten unless the doors get stuck or work improperly. Danielson pots work well with a little rebar added for weight and some weighted door modifications.
What kind of weight and how much do you use for the door modifications?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
Coho1970
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredapes View Post
here's my 2 cents:
I feel that they are a "crab pot kit". trying to fish as they are they aren't that great, but once you add some weight (rebar ziptied to the bottom or bricks or stones) and put a little weight on the doors, they are wonderful!
(oh yeah -- don't forget the rope and floats)

Just be careful how you tie your rope on so that they come up straight and flat. Otherwise the trap may collapse on itself if you pull it up by 1 side.
I tie mine up so they cannot collapse on me (but that means I store full sized crab pots and not flat ones) and do just as good as my buddies who are fishing $100+ pot setups.
Ageed,I use them up on Puget Sound and they work very well,just put some rebar in them and you good to go.I hang stuffed bait jars from the roof of mine, as well as hang bait from pins.
Coho1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
Critr Gitr
Ifish Nate

Location: Veneta (The Gateway to Elmira) West of The Peoples Republic of Eugene

Quote:
Originally Posted by orapaho View Post
I was wondering if these collapsing crab pots have any hangups. I saw someones post that the crab will leave the pot once they have finished off the bait. Any truth to that claim? Should I stick with crab rings?

the dannys are all i use

Katie Lynn 22' Arima Sea Legend HT
Team Squid Marks
Oregon Master Hunter

Critr Gitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
MattPark
King Salmon

Danielsons work great, with a few modifications as noted above. They are inexpensive, so you don't have to worry about leaving a $200 setup out there for someone (or the current) to steal. They produce just as well as my high rent setups.

The doors need some pencil lead wrapped around them to hold them shut. It doesn't take much current, especially if there's a little grass on them, to hold the doors open. That's not too big of a problem if you are tending them throughout the day and adding bait, but once the food is gone so are the crab.

They need weight added to them. I've had bad luck with rebar creating a "hot pot", but there are ways around that with grounding, etc. My way around it is to use large lead cannonballs, attached with stainless wire (zip ties work, but they break over time, and you will lose your lead). Ten pounds isn't overkill.

I prefer to assemble them, and leave them assembled, and I zip tie the sides together, leaving one side open to get bait in/crab out. This way you can store your floats and rope in the cage as well.

I bait the hell out of them. Hanging jars with clam guts, a box of tuna scraps, and a couple chicken hind quarters zip tied in there as well.
MattPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
Wreckless
King Salmon

Like he said, LOTS of bait. Crabs CAN come and go out of them. Check out the Toman video. But if they have a lot of good bait they are GREAT traps.
When my wife & I crab we tend the traps every 45 - minutes to an hour and they work as good or better than the high dollar traps.
We don't modify them at all except to zip tie them into solid boxes, but weighting the doors seems to help if they are going to soak. They WILL drift if not weighted, but as everyone has said, they are great crab catchers.

Good luck.

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
BentMetal
Chromer

I have mine weighted in the bottom and the doors weighted with (2) 1 oz water gremlin weights per door. I then plan on either a tuna head or a couple turkey legs in the bottom of the trap, and then I put two bait cups in the top of the trap. There I will put scraps of tuna, a can of sardines from the grocery store, scraps of shad, old herring, old shrimp, cat food pellets or oatmeal soaked with some kind of fish scent. The combination of something they can get and something they can't seems to be a good combination, as learned on ifish.
BentMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:19 PM   #11
orapaho
Cutthroat

Wow! awesome advice. Thanks for info. It will surely help. Wonder if they like corn?
Old 09-14-2010, 06:04 AM   #12
Maddie'sDaddy
Sturgeon

I saw some fancy new ones with a bait box built in and the bait box and doors are now glow in the dark.

MD
Maddie'sDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:29 AM   #13
diggindan
Coho

Bricks seem to work well for weight and they don't rust. I use the bricks with holes in them, 2 in each pot. I crimp all the hinge attachment areas on the sides except 1 for a door and zip tie the door shut to deter the seals.
4 oz. of lead 5-10 feet from the float keeps the rope from floating.
Pencil lead on the doors sounds like a good idea.
Happy crabbing, Dan
diggindan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:03 AM   #14
blksteelhead
Chromer

Quote:
This is Sandbum's modification

"I use one “360” and 3 Danielson’s – the Danielson’s always outfish the 360. I just decided about 10 minutes ago to retire the 360.

I have used the Danielson’s since 1994, in S.E. Alaska and Washington. On one 1995 trip in Ketchikan, two unmodified Danielson’s contained 60 legal males, that were a limit for my daughter and I at the time (each are allowed 5 under the sportfishing limit, plus 25 more under the personal use limit for residents).

At present, I am just starting on my 3rd set of pot’s, so the Danielson’s typically last around 5 years for me.

I have modified my Danielson traps in several ways, and they fish much better as a result. These are as follows:

Snip off all of the frame hooks, and secure all corners with zip ties, leaving one side “unzipped” so the "trap" door can be opened. This stabilizes the pots a significant amount, and simplifies opening the pots (I hate those frame hooks with a passion).

Second, snip off ½” off of the bottom of each of the 3 downward prongs on each door. This will help eliminate the binding effect that bottom sand, and eelgrass, tend to have on these doors. You can observe this by setting an unmodified pot on your lawn, where even the short grass can bind the doors closed, or even open.

Use weighted doors – either wrap pencil lead around the door frame, or drill out the center of an egg type sinker, and crimp it onto the door frame. Use 2 ounces. Of course, the Danielson weighted doors can also be purchased.

Modify all of the frame hanger hooks on all of your older pots that have doors with hooks. These older hooks tend to corrode, and bind up the door. Newer pots use a plastic sleeve hinge that works much better.

Weight each pot with 4 pounds, avoid excessive line, and use just one of the smaller floats. This will avoid these pots “walking”, due to drag resulting from the use of too much line, or too many, or too large floats. Using iron or steel metal for trap weights is a REALLY BAD idea. Metal sets up an electrical field in salt water as it corrodes (this begins immediately), and this will put a serious kink in your efforts. This is one of the reasons why commercial pot rebar is coated, and the good shrimp pots are all made of plastic (shrimp are more sensitive to electricity). I don’t mean to be insulting to anyone, but if you ever see someone shrimping with a metal pot, they are wasting their time, and will also screw you up if you set next to them. Avoid them as if they were lepers.
I use small one pound lead (lead does not set up an electrical field) ingots in the Danielson’s - you just drill a hole in each end, and zip tie them in, being careful to avoid interfering with the doors.

Tie your baitholders up off of the bottom, so the bait doesn’t get buried in the sand and muck, and lasts longer.

Lastly, it is also very helpful to use a depthfinder to just narrowly avoid eelgrass and kelp beds when setting pots. This growth (particularly the longer eelgrass that can be up to about 8 feet long) can jam doors very easily when the pot(s) are set in them blindly. The crab also have a difficult time negotiating these obstacles. If you can imagine yourself trying to walk through a rain forest with 8 legs and 3’ diameter arms, you will tend to agree with me on this.

You can deduce when this is happening by observing the pots when pulled. A pot set in these areas will come up with kelp and eelgrass clinging to the pot, and with only a few small crabs actually caught in the pot (they can get around the jammed doors more easily). The presence of little kelp crab is also a strong indicator of this. It's best to set alongside these areas in clear patches of sediment, as observed on the fishfinder. The crab tend to hang out on the edges of the eelgrass beds, and will readily attack a pot set right next to them, but out in the open".
blksteelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #15
Triple C
Chromer

I use Danielson traps with great success. I ty wrap cement form stakes
to the bottom for extra weight. Before mounting them I spray the stakes
with plastic cote spray. This will help eliminate the hot pot problem. I
then wrap a couple turns of lead around each one of the doors. I ty wrap
the whole cage together (except one side) with heavy duty tywraps. I
ty wrap a good bait gage in the bottom of each trap and then tie on
100' of sinking line with 2 floats. I have used these traps for 9 years
and it is time now to replace them. At about 45-50 dollars per trap they
have more than payed for themselves. The nice thing is the bait cage,
stakes and rope with floats can all be reused. I only need to replace the
traps @ 16 dollars apiece.
Triple C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:01 AM   #16
RKjk
Coho

Danielson work great as for weight i use plastic pipe a round 18" long
filled with sand and cap it zip tie to trap only 5 bucks per trap.I also
use pincel lead on the doors
RKjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:03 AM   #17
luv_2_fish
Chromer

I have gotten many limits over the years using this kind of crab trap. I also used two small size bungee cords to hook on tight the two openable upright side flaps (not the doors ).

Inexpensive, effective, and can last several years with mininal care.

GO BUY THEM!
luv_2_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #18
nitsuj
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blksteelhead View Post
Second, snip off ½” off of the bottom of each of the 3 downward prongs on each door. This will help eliminate the binding effect that bottom sand, and eelgrass, tend to have on these doors. You can observe this by setting an unmodified pot on your lawn, where even the short grass can bind the doors closed, or even open.
That's an interesting idea right there!
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #19
The Tray-Sea
Steelhead

i have used the same Danielsons for 5years now, no problem ever in the bay. In the salt I have added weight, i use 2" pvc filled with sand it is about 5 pounds and they do not travel. We also zip tie them shut, i have had many limits with them, i will buy them again.
The Tray-Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #20
Old Coot
Ifish Nate

Have used them in bays for years. Love 'em. Follow the tweaks mentioned above, find nice fresh bait and get ready for some good dinners!

It seems like BiMart has them every couple of months for about $15.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #21
Wreckless
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie'sDaddy View Post
I saw some fancy new ones with a bait box built in and the bait box and doors are now glow in the dark.

MD
When my wife saw the new traps with the glow in the dark doors her reaction was ," Bad idea, now they can see where to go to get out".

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:25 AM   #22
jr69cam
Tuna!

Quote:
I use them and a well you see
Old 09-15-2010, 04:47 AM   #23
Maddie'sDaddy
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
When my wife saw the new traps with the glow in the dark doors her reaction was ," Bad idea, now they can see where to go to get out".

Very good point.

MD
Maddie'sDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:15 AM   #24
Stick'em
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr69cam View Post
I use them and a well you see
How did you get all those live crabs to stay like that for that photo? Hypnotize them?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #25
MegaByte

Over the years (about40) I have used 360's and rings and Danny's. Dannys are easier to pull and work better than anything I have ever used. I modify them as posted by others. For a bait holder I use plastic mesh, just like the stuff you can buy already made, but I make them myself and they are cheaper that way. You can get the material at HD. I use four pieces of rebar in each pot about the width of the pot. I dont paint them. I use lead core sinking line with two floats and a small trailer float for easy pick up. With 100 feet of rope I can easily fish 70-75 feet of water in the ocean. In the bays with big tide changes I never go more than 35-50 feet and they stay where I leave them. The only issue I have had is having the things picked while out tuna fishing. Fortunately they left the traps.
MegaByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #26
marthagofish
Chromer

They work but you need weight them down so they stay put and don't move with the tide. You need to weight the doors so they stay closed and you need to zip tie the sides so they do not open.

That being said they are pretty good although the plastic coating does start to come off and then they corrode pretty fast.

Good luck using them!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #27
Danno
Sturgeon

I crabbed downriver form Hammond recently and we dropped 4 of the round pots with two Danielsons in a line. All baited similarly. The four round pots all had crab. The two Danielsons had zero crabs or bait. Yes, the doors were weighted with plenty, or so I thought, of pencil lead.

I'm done with Danielsons. Come buy them from me. $50 for all four for just the traps with the weighted doors. The rest of the gear go towards the new pots. They have only be used about 4 times and were washed after each use. The vinyl coating is still 100%.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #28
fishsticks
Chromer

The Coastside fishing website has some great info on how to rig the Danielsons. Google "rigging danielson crab pots"

I'm not sure why a person wouldn't just spring for a rebar rubber wrapped pot from someone like TNT Crab pots. Yea they are more expensive, but by the time you add weight, monkey with the doors etc etc on the Danielsons you've spent about the same $$ anyway. Better yet, troll the classifieds and pick up some used pots.
fishsticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #29
MattPark
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsticks View Post
I'm not sure why a person wouldn't just spring for a rebar rubber wrapped pot from someone like TNT Crab pots. Yea they are more expensive, but by the time you add weight, monkey with the doors etc etc on the Danielsons you've spent about the same $$ anyway. Better yet, troll the classifieds and pick up some used pots.
Spent the same money? A few zip ties, some pencil lead and rebar/sand/lead is just this side of free. That puts them around $20, minus the rope and floats that you would need for any pot. That's less than half of the cheapest TNT pot, and 1/4 of what a comparably sized TNT pot runs.
MattPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #30
Stick'em
King Salmon

A tad off subject but there use to be a person who sold really good traps on Rt 6 along the road. Whatever happened to that fella.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #31
Fishrite
Tuna!

I have a commercial trap and a couple of Danielson's. Only got 3 crabs in the commercial on the first pull. Got a limit of keeper males in my first pull with the Danielson trap. This was at Bouy 10 a couple of weeks ago.
Jer. 29:11
Fishrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #32
Leto
Coho

Quote:

I love em! No wieghts, just pinch the clips instead of zip-ties. Best thing is: they cost $15 (on sale) instead of $125 or so for the nice ones, any are prone to getting ripped, save some money!
Leto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #33
Born To Fish 2
Chromer

Thumbs up Re: Danielson crab pots- any good?

I have been using the same ones for 15 years. Add 2oz. weight to the doors. Tyrap the sides once you get there. I tye my rope to the teraps at all 4 corners so they lift straight up.
Good Crabbing!!
Born To Fish 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #34
marthagofish
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto View Post
I love em! No wieghts, just pinch the clips instead of zip-ties. Best thing is: they cost $15 (on sale) instead of $125 or so for the nice ones, any are prone to getting ripped, save some money!
Zip ties allow you to break them down after using them without having to unbend the clips which will eventually break, or chip the plastic coating leading to corrosion.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #35
stlhd42
Chromer

Those pots will not fish as well as more expensive one piece pots. I have 1 danielson pot and it will have 2 crab in it when the others average 10 crab. Same bait, same weight, and I mix them up location wise but always in the same general area and the result is always the same. I have zip tied mine up pretty well so it is as close to a solid 1 piece pot as possible. The problem I see is they might wave around in the current down there and crab don't like to enter a pot that is not 100 % still.
stlhd42 is offline   Reply With Quote