Vacuum packer question? - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 05-06-2010, 04:56 AM   #1
wak'm&stak'm
King Salmon

Default Vacuum packer question?

I am finally getting around to ordering that Vacmaster Vp210. I see they have 3ml bags, but has anyone used thicker bags?
Seems Uline or someone I saw had 5ml or something but I am not sure they will seal.
Thanks in advance?

Last edited by wak'm&stak'm; 05-06-2010 at 04:58 AM.
wak'm&stak'm is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
silver slayer
Steelhead

Default Re: Vacuum packer question?

I use atleast the 4 mil in mine and 5 if i can get them the 3 mil that it comes with is ok for halibut and tuna but the bones in the lingcod poke through quite a bit i have'nt had a problem sealing the 4 and 5 mil with mine
silver slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:19 AM   #3
HOGGEMIN

You will get better results with the 4mil or 5mil bags I use the 5 mil unless I run out then I have a box of 4 mil for reserve. With the 5 mil even tuna will last for over a year with no visual change in your product.The vac packer has a seal time setting so just adjust it for a little longer and your good to go.
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
No Reservations
Ifish Nate

I use 3 mil have not had any problems although I have not done any boney fish I did a lot of research for the right price on bags online found homesteadharvest.com to be the best price. If you find better price please let me know.
No Reservations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
elim
Steelhead

I have a minipacker (about the size of the vacmaster215)I ordered retort bags for it.They are the aluminum canning bags you see tuna at the store in now.You vacuum pack the tuna the can it just like jars but way easier.
elim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
No Reservations
Ifish Nate

elam
Will the vacmaster sealer seal retort bags for canning also where do you buy them.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
wak'm&stak'm
King Salmon

Thanks to all of you for your replies.

I have never been happy with any freezing method, vac packet with a cheap unit, froze glazed and vac'd, usually just used ziploks and add water and get rid of the air.
I hope this works better.

We caught 2 more halibut this morning, sure wish I had it now! I guess this is what happens when you drag your feet.

Thanks again. Dan
Old 05-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #8
sly man
Steelhead

i have the vacuum chamber also. i will only use 5 mil for fish. it seals way tighter and stays fresher longer. spend the extra money for 5 mil. you won't regret it...
sly man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
fishwhenican
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wak'm&stak'm View Post
I am finally getting around to ordering that Vacmaster Vp210. I see they have 3ml bags, but has anyone used thicker bags?
Seems Uline or someone I saw had 5ml or something but I am not sure they will seal.
Thanks in advance?
Dan,
I switched last year to a much better machine. I haven't had problems sealing fish with the 3mil bags, but something like jerky or dried pears have to be wrapped or they will poke a hole in the bag. Looks like next time I'll bump up to at least 4mil bags.

I also found you get a better seal if you fill the bag up. In other words a large tuna loin in the center leaves too much area on both sides, better to slice in half and fill the bag side to side. If the product doesn't go all the way to the end of the bag, trim the bag, the less air space in the bag before vacuuming the better.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #10
Dylan
Chromer

Wow, for that price does it clean the fish too?!?!

Looks like a nice machine. . .but I will stick w/ my little foodsaver till I wear it out.
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #11
No Reservations
Ifish Nate

Dylan
You might consider the price you are paying for your foodsaver bags 30 to 40 cents per bag compared to the 3 cents per bag for vacmaster bags not to mention the bags come sealed on three sides and always seal even a bag of liquid if you want. I have been through several food savers the last couple of years but I do a lot of fishing. I had to convince my wife that a 1100.00 was justifiable but she uses the vacmaster more than me and said she does not miss the trips to costco for bags at the tune of 40.00 bucks a pop for foodsaver bags every time I return from a fishing trip.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:03 AM   #12
vudo
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Wow, for that price does it clean the fish too?!?!

Looks like a nice machine. . .but I will stick w/ my little foodsaver till I wear it out.
Really all depends how much fish you catch

http://www.ccapnw.org/
vudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #13
elim
Steelhead

I buy all my stuff from a guy named Thom i forget the name of his company.You will have to buy a box of 1000 because he does not stock these bags.My machine is a little bigger than your so call Thom and ask if your machine will seal it or not.If you pm me your address I will send you a few bags to try.

Eli

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Reservations View Post
elam
Will the vacmaster sealer seal retort bags for canning also where do you buy them.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #14
Dylan
Chromer

No reservations,

thanks for the suggestions. I am estimating my cost around 20 cents / bag for the foodsaver (22 ft rolls at ~$6/roll and 8" per bag). I totally agree the bags are a major rip-off. I bought in bulk w/ some guys through the Foodsaver website.
Compared to the boat gas contributions, gear, lodging, that doesn't seem that bad to me. maybe I have to see one in use. . .I'll help you put up tuna for an hour this summer?? Can you really seal a bag of liquid??

and Vudo - I'm catching plenty of fish, thanks though.

Dylan
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:21 AM   #15
vudo
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
No reservations,

thanks for the suggestions. I am estimating my cost around 20 cents / bag for the foodsaver (22 ft rolls at ~$6/roll and 8" per bag). I totally agree the bags are a major rip-off. I bought in bulk w/ some guys through the Foodsaver website.
Compared to the boat gas contributions, gear, lodging, that doesn't seem that bad to me. maybe I have to see one in use. . .I'll help you put up tuna for an hour this summer?? Can you really seal a bag of liquid??

and Vudo - I'm catching plenty of fish, thanks though.

Dylan
I know you do Dylan. And thanks sharing your knowledge.

http://www.ccapnw.org/
vudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #16
One Eyed Jack
Chromer

Can anyone tell if you seal chamber bag in a vacuum sealer? Ibought one from Cabelas last year and it works great.But the bag are thin and spendy.
Is there anyone in the Aloha area that has acouple bag I could try out?
Old 05-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #17
No Reservations
Ifish Nate

No they are not compatible the foodsaver bags have the texture on them which allows air to be sucked through them like little canals . poly bags are smooth.
Dylan that sounds great we will get together and seal a few up sometime I will be going over for the opener maybe some fresh halibut on the way. Also liquid works fine just did some clamming and sealed a bunch of them up in milk anxious to see how they taste after being frozen

Last edited by No Reservations; 05-08-2010 at 08:05 AM. Reason: content
Old 05-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #18
elim
Steelhead

Ok guys I have had a lot of you guys pm me on retort bags.They work way better than glass.Rather than saving those jars you just throw the bags away when you are done.If you go to www.vacuumpackers.com on the left side look for "canning with a vacuum packer" you can watch the video.The machine in the video is the same machine I use.The guys name is Thom his number is 425-264-0195 tell him Eli sent you for the same retort bags I have.The bags do come in diffrent sizes but I thought this was the perfect size.Most machines come with a heat bar and a cut off wire.Thom does a lot of repair aswell as sales and we modified my machine to have a double raised heat bar and no cut off wire.I tried it both ways and a double heat wire worked way better.I am sure he can do this to any chamber style machine.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #19
Salmonater
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elim View Post
Ok guys I have had a lot of you guys pm me on retort bags.They work way better than glass.Rather than saving those jars you just throw the bags away when you are done.If you go to www.vacuumpackers.com on the left side look for "canning with a vacuum packer" you can watch the video.The machine in the video is the same machine I use.The guys name is Thom his number is 425-264-0195 tell him Eli sent you for the same retort bags I have.The bags do come in diffrent sizes but I thought this was the perfect size.Most machines come with a heat bar and a cut off wire.Thom does a lot of repair aswell as sales and we modified my machine to have a double raised heat bar and no cut off wire.I tried it both ways and a double heat wire worked way better.I am sure he can do this to any chamber style machine.
Thanks for the info. I now want one of those!
Salmonater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #20
elim
Steelhead

My wife chewed my butt when I first bought the machine.We already had a external vacuum packer that I would drag out of the closet to use.She did not under stand just why we needed a $2000 vacuum packer.Now every thing that goes in the frig is vacuum packed.She uses it more than me.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #21
timmer1533
Steelhead

saran wrap or aluminum foil no difference it dont last that long in my freezer burn in my freezer.
timmer1533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:19 AM   #22
wak'm&stak'm
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elim View Post
I spoke with Tom today, he is very helpful and very knowledgeable. I learned more in 15 minutes then I learned in 2 days of reading up on different units.
The retort canning bags was an option I had never heard about, but I can see all kinds of new things to try.

Thanks again, you were all very helpful, Dan
Old 05-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #23
Grover
Steelhead

I recently purchased the VP-215 model and 5 mil bags. Very please with results and it was bought local to Portland area where I can get the bags. PM me if you need contact info. Grover
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #24
sturgn
Tuna!

I just got my VP-215 today and I am very impressed, its alot of $$ but I think its well worth it!

Follow us in our around the world adventure! http://www.sturgn.com

Sturgn
"We Ride!"
NEVER FORGET!
Member #690
sturgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #25
CAPT KUJO
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonater View Post
Thanks for the info. I now want one of those!
check the pricing...http://www.qualitymatters.com has the VP215 for $1295.00 $200 cheaper and they are in Tualitin.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #26
CAPT KUJO
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver slayer View Post
I use atleast the 4 mil in mine and 5 if i can get them the 3 mil that it comes with is ok for halibut and tuna but the bones in the lingcod poke through quite a bit i have'nt had a problem sealing the 4 and 5 mil with mine

4 and 5 mil are available from qualitymatters.com they are in Tualitin. If you want to save money and shipping. I only saw a couple of sizes in 5 mil but alot of sizes in the 4 mil and every imaginable size in the 3 mil.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #27
Killertraylor
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT KUJO View Post
4 and 5 mil are available from qualitymatters.com they are in Tualitin. If you want to save money and shipping. I only saw a couple of sizes in 5 mil but alot of sizes in the 4 mil and every imaginable size in the 3 mil.
And he's a great guy - will get you 5 mil bags in any size available in a day or two - use the 5 mil, the cost is negligible and the finished product is so much better.
Killertraylor is offline   Reply With Quote