On generator power once again! - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 01-13-2021, 03:04 PM   #1
Waterfish
Ifish Nate

Default On generator power once again!

In the Marmot area, ten miles east of Sandy we have been running the house on the generator since late last night when the windstorm took out the power. We ran on generator power for seven days during the fires in September. Then another couple of days during a November windstorm. Our generator has been having quite a work out lately.

Here is a link I posted earlier on how our generator is wired to run the house:

https://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=1626249

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2021, 05:29 PM   #2
BCFISHON1
Tuna!

Default Re: On generator power once again!

I woke up to my usual morning, showered and poured a cup of coffee and out the door and heard the generator running. It was at that moment I realized the power had gone out and how much I love my standby generator.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:00 PM   #3
sliverpicker
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterfish View Post
In the Marmot area, ten miles east of Sandy we have been running the house on the generator since late last night when the windstorm took out the power. We ran on generator power for seven days during the fires in September. Then another couple of days during a November windstorm. Our generator has been having quite a work out lately.

Here is a link I posted earlier on how our generator is wired to run the house:

https://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=1626249
Same thing over here Mike. Luke had a bunch of cedars falling near his house, they grabbed Ollie and bugged out at 12:45 this morning.
sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2021, 07:18 AM   #4
Soulakala
King Salmon

Neighbor had an electrician set up his 8,000 generator. It looked very simple a plug outside on his garage wall and a switch inside next to the power panel that thrown in one direction puts the house on PUD power, the other direction its on generator. The unit has its own main breaker which he said will trip if the load is too high. So he trips off the drier, oven, and hot water tank at the main breaker box. He said he can use the hot water tank but make sure the heat pump is turned off while the tank heats up. Lights, freezers and water pump are always on.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:30 AM   #5
Cathunter1
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulakala View Post
Neighbor had an electrician set up his 8,000 generator. It looked very simple a plug outside on his garage wall and a switch inside next to the power panel that thrown in one direction puts the house on PUD power, the other direction its on generator. The unit has its own main breaker which he said will trip if the load is too high. So he trips off the drier, oven, and hot water tank at the main breaker box. He said he can use the hot water tank but make sure the heat pump is turned off while the tank heats up. Lights, freezers and water pump are always on.
Some smart meters have a Generator Plug ,Thats simple .There is also the smaller. Lockout disconnect that’ will work .Just not as involved as a full on transfer .
Cathunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:39 AM   #6
Chad D.
Tuna!

Look up a Generlink. About as simple and safe as you can get if you’ve got a 200A service.

Since we have a 320A meter, it wasn’t an option. I did a standard generator inlet receptacle and have an interlock between my main breaker and the generator feed. Heats up the entire panel, but and limited to the generator’s output capacity. With 7,000 watts on my portable, it handles everything but the furnace/heat pump if we stagger heavy loads. Don’t shower while using the oven... For heat, we turn on the pellet stove.

Ours went from having 4’hours on the meter before Labor Day, to a hair over 300 at this time. Good purchase...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad D. is offline   Reply With Quote