Wiring up a Bayrunner - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 01-13-2021, 10:53 AM   #1
jasonfrost
Fry

Default Wiring up a Bayrunner

Hi all,

First off, electrical work is not my forte so thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide on this.

I recently purchased a used 18' Bayrunner and am gutting it. I've been working on this wiring diagram so I don't purchase the wrong parts. Am I missing anything? I think technically I should have a common bus, but the fusebox I'm looking at has a bus that won't handle the amps of starting the outboard (will probably be a 40hp). Also, I have the 14awg marine wire on-hand already so would love to use that for all the accessories, but I can bump that up if need be.

Again, thanks for any input. In case the links in this pdf don't work here are the components I have in mind:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Boat Wiring.pdf (1.36 MB, 16 views)

jasonfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2021, 10:55 AM   #2
jasonfrost
Fry

Default Re: Wiring up a Bayrunner

Image of the wiring diagram
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat Wiring.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	761563  
Old 01-13-2021, 02:18 PM   #3
joeer77
Chromer

Similar to another recent thread.

I think you are close. I would simplify the accessory circuit.

1. Send 1 wire from circuit breaker to switch panel. Let the switch panel distribute the 12V to each device. Do not connect to fuseblock.

2. Switch panel 4304 contains fuse holders for each device (all contained) and distributes 12V to each device.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/430...ay_4_Positions

3. Replace Fuseblock with ground bus bar. Run all device grounds to bus bar. Connect busbar to negative battery post.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/230...ang_with_Cover

Remember KISS.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bayliner.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	761575  
joeer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2021, 03:00 PM   #4
jasonfrost
Fry

Sheesh, how did I not see the fused switch panel (4304) before? That's perfect for what I'm wanting. Thanks!

Thoughts on the 14awg to the accessories? All of the accessories I plan on running are drawing less than 5amps so I figured I should be ok with that.

Thanks again
Old 01-13-2021, 03:42 PM   #5
joeer77
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfrost View Post
Sheesh, how did I not see the fused switch panel (4304) before? That's perfect for what I'm wanting. Thanks!

Thoughts on the 14awg to the accessories? All of the accessories I plan on running are drawing less than 5amps so I figured I should be ok with that.

Thanks again
It depends how long the wire is and how many amps you plan to send through it. I would add up all the amp draws from each device in the event you have them all turned on it once and gauge the wire for that.

https://www.bluesea.com/resources/1437
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	23
Size:	509.0 KB
ID:	761581  
Old 01-13-2021, 05:37 PM   #6
Califbill
Tuna!

i would buy a good crimper for the connectors. I use the FTZ ratchet one.
Califbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:08 PM   #7
100% Siwash
Ifish Nate

schematic looks good, I'd add a 2nd battery to the mix
100% Siwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:00 AM   #8
joeer77
Chromer

If you ever think you will have a 2nd battery, you may as well buy the Blue Sea dual and combine switch. I have the black version.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/600...y_Switch_-_Red

2nd deep cycle battery is nice for trolling motor or if you sit on anchor for hours and hours. Or for emergency motor start.

Updated schematic. I like to go to O'Reily Auto Parts for battery cables. They are cheap and have many different lengths. Yeah I know I'm supposed to use marine grade and blah blah blah. Good enough cables for my duck boat. Combine 1 + 2 battery switch position is just for emergencies FYI.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bayliner2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	761617  
Old 01-14-2021, 11:57 AM   #9
Califbill
Tuna!

Be careful of the auto parts store battery cables. Just had to redo the ends of a couple of my cables. The ends on lots of those auto cables are tinned steel, and will rust, giving bad connection. What happened on my boat. Bought a couple of copper cable ends at ace Hardware and soldered on to the cables.
Califbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:45 PM   #10
jasonfrost
Fry

Thanks for all of the feedback. I've got marine grade wire for all of this, and I'll use copper lugs for the larger terminal connections.

For trolling, I'll have two deepcycles wired for 24v on a bow mount motor.
Accessory usage will be minimal, so I'll probably stick with the single battery for starting/accessories. If I ever get in a jam I could always pull a bow battery and swap the connections. If I wanted to wire the trolling motor battery bank in as a backup to the starter, I think I would have to use a stepdown converter to get the 24 down to 12?

Last edited by jasonfrost; 01-14-2021 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:48 AM   #11
samntrllr
Tuna!

Pay close attention to wire size and select for distance and amperage. Use tinned wire, use shrink tubes to waterproof and heat shrink connectors. A simple inline fuse is good to your distribution point. Research a dedicated common ground and bring everything off that connected to your hull. There is some good info to be had here. I bought a new Bayrunner in Anchorage in 1985, one of the best all around hulls I ever had. Do not underpower.

When all think alike, no one is thinking very much;
Walter Lippmann
samntrllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:29 PM   #12
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Not sure but a bilge pump has two circuits. The manual that runs through the switch panel and the switch activated by the float on the pump its self. Experts correct me if I'm wrong.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:52 AM   #13
jasonfrost
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by samntrllr View Post
Pay close attention to wire size and select for distance and amperage. Use tinned wire, use shrink tubes to waterproof and heat shrink connectors. A simple inline fuse is good to your distribution point. Research a dedicated common ground and bring everything off that connected to your hull. There is some good info to be had here. I bought a new Bayrunner in Anchorage in 1985, one of the best all around hulls I ever had. Do not underpower.
I grew up in Alaska and saw these boats all the time. Funny that I'm finally picking one up in Oregon. What size Bayrunner did you have and what size engine did you run on it?
Old 01-18-2021, 09:07 AM   #14
samntrllr
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfrost View Post
I grew up in Alaska and saw these boats all the time. Funny that I'm finally picking one up in Oregon. What size Bayrunner did you have and what size engine did you run on it?
I had the 18' Open, it had 6" higher sides than the standard 18'. I started with a 40hp but went to a 50 hp, it was rated to 60. 50 was a lot better. I did like that hull, had it for 13 years.

When all think alike, no one is thinking very much;
Walter Lippmann
samntrllr is offline   Reply With Quote