Why tubing on spinners? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 01-13-2021, 06:54 AM   #1
Streamfixer
Chromer

Default Why tubing on spinners?

I am sure there is a reason tubing is used on spinners. However, no one has explained to me why. I would sure like to have the reasoning explained.

I am about to assemble some salmon trolling spinners..

Thank you

StreamFixer

Streamfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2021, 07:06 AM   #2
Snopro
Tuna!

Default Re: Why tubing on spinners?

The first three reasons that come to mind. Adds color and/or flash, keeps the hook inline with the rest of the components, convenient place to add scent.

I'm sure there are more.
Snopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:00 AM   #3
Fiskiller
Steelhead

X1 mostly to keep the hook in line.
Fiskiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2021, 08:17 AM   #4
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snopro View Post
The first three reasons that come to mind. Adds color and/or flash, keeps the hook inline with the rest of the components, convenient place to add scent.
+1

Long Live the Kings!
eyeFISH.... The Keen Eye MD
eyeFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:32 AM   #5
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskiller View Post
X1 mostly to keep the hook in line.
+1 and color
AnnaDraMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:44 AM   #6
Big Game Fishing
King Salmon

I build em both ways.

But for color, try any color tubing with a purple haze UV hootchie over the top. It's a different kind of pop of color. Make sure to try black tubing...
Big Game Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:48 AM   #7
NEUTRON
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Game Fishing View Post
I build em both ways.

But for color, try any color tubing with a purple haze UV hootchie over the top. It's a different kind of pop of color. Make sure to try black tubing...

Pictures .... or it didn't happen.
Buckeye Troll club, #1 poison nut hater. Cry Feeesh Member 91.
NEUTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:09 AM   #8
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUTRON View Post
Pictures .... or it didn't happen.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:12 AM   #9
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Black is the forgotten color.

Something nice about the Purple Haze Hoochie is it works at just about any depth it's fished. I always run some color and/or flash down the middle of them.

I always figure the water going by the spinner was sufficient to keep the hook reasonably close to absolutely perfect (whatever that is) without tubing. I quit thinking about it when I stopped building spinners on wire.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:20 AM   #10
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
I quit thinking about it when I stopped building spinners on wire.
Touchet Monfrere
Old 01-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #11
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Something else about wire that may or may not be an issue is the total length of the spinner. I like keeping the hook(s) close to the blade, like one or two large beads back from the blade tip. If I want something longer I can add a small hoochie and a couple of beads ahead of the hook.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:39 AM   #12
fishin"G"man
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Game Fishing View Post
I build em both ways.

But for color, try any color tubing with a purple haze UV hoochie over the top. It's a different kind of pop of color. Make sure to try black tubing...

I've been on a rant to educate myself on "spinner" building. I've watched a lot of big name guides building them on U tube, took a spinner building class and have read publications on how spinners are made correctly and why they are built "that" way.

The tubing is designed to keep the hook in line with the spinner thus having a greater effect on the balance of the spin. It's like tuning any presentation. It DOES matter.

BGF made a great point. Add a hoochie or try different colors on the tubing. I used to think spinners were just for steelhead or fall fish. Nope... add a few beads and a small blade like a colorado, cascade, willow leaf or indiana blade to your leader. Keep water flows/SOG in mind when choosing the blade.
fishin"G"man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:48 PM   #13
Siletz Steel
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamfixer View Post
I am sure there is a reason tubing is used on spinners. However, no one has explained to me why.
I am about to assemble some salmon trolling spinners.
Since I do the vast majority of my fishing from the bank I don't troll salmon spinners much but from a casting perspective in the last 25+ years of journal notes whether a spinner had tubing or not has not made any difference in the number of strikes. Also I have never felt at a disadvantage if the spinner didn't have tubing.
Siletz Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:03 PM   #14
The Overfishin Condition
King Salmon

Quote:
I quit thinking about it when I stopped building spinners on wire.
Interesting notion.

On wire spinners, I have always liked the tubing to keep things most optimally balanced. Little details make a big difference over time- just like tuning Kwiks.

I’m even more keen on the tubing when I don’t build the spinner on wire. I like the tubing to protect my knots and I observed a statistically significant difference in bites on my tubing spinners this fall versus non. (AND the color mattered).

This is probably blasphemy to some. To each their own, confidence is key.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:01 PM   #15
Big Game Fishing
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overfishin Condition View Post
Interesting notion.

On wire spinners, I have always liked the tubing to keep things most optimally balanced. Little details make a big difference over time- just like tuning Kwiks.

I’m even more keen on the tubing when I don’t build the spinner on wire. I like the tubing to protect my knots and I observed a statistically significant difference in bites on my tubing spinners this fall versus non. (AND the color mattered).

This is probably blasphemy to some. To each their own, confidence is key.
I put tubing on non-wire spinners as well. Sometimes no hootchie, just tube. A red tube, couple red beads, and a 3.5 brass or copper blade built right on the leader is always fishy.
Big Game Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:22 PM   #16
Wild Chrome
Sturgeon

FWIW, Jed Davis, the guy who literally wrote the book on fishing spinners for steelhead, stated that the main purpose of the tubing was to draw the fish's strike toward the hook and away from the blade. He was big on red for winter steelhead and kelly green for summer steelhead. I'm not sure how important it is or how it varies for trolling spinners. I fish them both ways and don't think it makes a big difference. I do think the tubing, if not done well, can mess with the ability of the hook to hold the fish, at least with steelhead on smaller hooks.

Wild Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:26 PM   #17
Stick'em
King Salmon

I don't believe Jack Glass uses tubing on the spinners he makes. He seems to be good at catching fish....
Old 01-13-2021, 04:00 PM   #18
FishOn81
Chromer

I like the tubing to protect my line from teeth on my mono spinners. I really thought that the tubing color mattered for my boat last fall.
FishOn81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:34 PM   #19
team anarchy
Sturgeon

Quote:
Black is the forgotten color.

Something nice about the Purple Haze Hoochie is it works at just about any depth it's fished. I always run some color and/or flash down the middle of them.

I always figure the water going by the spinner was sufficient to keep the hook reasonably close to absolutely perfect (whatever that is) without tubing. I quit thinking about it when I stopped building spinners on wire.

BLM.....Black Lures Matter
team anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:08 PM   #20
fishin"G"man
Ifish Nate

Yes, black seems to be a preferred color for some goof ball reason. The sparkly hoochie also seems to get them to bite. According to the books I've read, information on the subject gathered, and a few years of fishing experience, it's more about a profile and the even the absence of color plus reflections of sunlight that seems to get the fishes attention. In other words it's about what the fish sees, (what the lure is mimicking) as they look up at it against a clear, sunny or dingy sky in clouded or clear water that they ignore or attack. You should pay attention to scent as well because that is what actually what draws fish to the lure.

I'm no guide and I have no proof except that these shared tips came from folk who DO know and have had success using them.

One thing for sure... Never get stuck in a rut and refuse to change. What worked last year just might not work this year and for that matter what you used 5 years ago might be just the trick this year!
fishin"G"man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:33 PM   #21
DogZilla15
King Salmon

G Man... Most excellent post.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:35 AM   #22
DataFish
Steelhead

OK, I wish I had a picture to show, my spinners came with tubing, but over time that tubing gets looking bad, if they are wire spinners how do you fix this or do you. I generally get to the point I just cut it off. I don't know if that helps or hurts my success.
DataFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:55 AM   #23
Fiskiller
Steelhead

Sometimes what's working on the port side of the boat. Doesn't work on the starboard side. I always keep trying everything in the box if it's a slow day. The main thing when tying spinners is the type of hook you're using. And the position of the eye hook on the shank.
Fiskiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:14 AM   #24
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I try to keep my spinners as light as possible with the idea a fish will want to hang on to them a little longer. This theory has no evidence to support it. Sometimes I'll use Corkies and not beads because they float. When fishing on or near the bottom (bouncing lead) I don't want the spinner below the lead. I don't run treble hooks either, a single 5/0 sickle Siwash for summer/fall fish. For Silvers, I'll drop down a size or possibly go to a double 3/0 hook rig.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:00 AM   #25
Wreckless
King Salmon

Corkies as beads???!!!???!! That'll never work!!!

DataFish, that is an issue with wire spinners. The tubing gets gunked up with old scent. Those of us with a tying bench just rebuild them. Yes, I still like wire spinners in many applications.

Bob Toman believed (with science to back it up) that different materials in the spinner generated different electrical currents because of electroloisis in the water (I THINK I said that right).

Back to the subject......What Snopro said.

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:07 PM   #26
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

Quote:
I try to keep my spinners as light as possible with the idea a fish will want to hang on to them a little longer. This theory has no evidence to support it. Sometimes I'll use Corkies and not beads because they float. When fishing on or near the bottom (bouncing lead) I don't want the spinner below the lead. I don't run treble hooks either, a single 5/0 sickle Siwash for summer/fall fish. For Silvers, I'll drop down a size or possibly go to a double 3/0 hook rig.
I do this on my prawn rigs that I bounce using small cheaters.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:37 PM   #27
Roady
Tuna!

Quote:

I may or may not occasionally drift fish with a small clevis and spinner blade above a corky and yarn...

I have nothing useful to add regarding tubing though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2021, 01:59 PM   #28
jsim
Coho

Excellent thread. I've wondered about the purpose of tubing myself. Thanks all for sharing your experience and knowledge here!
jsim is offline   Reply With Quote