2021 Ocean Coho season, anyone have a clue what we may see this year? - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 01-11-2021, 11:08 AM   #1
Radke
Ifish Nate

Default 2021 Ocean Coho season, anyone have a clue what we may see this year?

I know it is a bit early, but has there been any predictions about what Coho numbers might be this year? I mean things actually compiled from a reliable source, not rumors and 'I heard from so and so'. I usually get this information in the OSIG meeting held in Newport in late February, but that meeting may not happen (online?) and I know the information is available before that meeting.

Ron? Chummie?

Radke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2021, 11:19 AM   #2
ron m
King Salmon

Default Re: 2021 Ocean Coho season, anyone have a clue what we may see this year?

I don
t think the info is yet available online or if it is, I don't know where.

I've been told by an informed and reliable source that the expectation is for at the least a good coho season this year and that it might be an excellent season. As always, much will depend on both the wild and clipped coho numbers. Also the numbers for some of the runs/rivers.
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:05 PM   #3
Pirate
Ifish Nate

Smile Re: 2021 Ocean Coho season, anyone have a clue what we may see this year?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2021, 09:25 PM   #4
dbjockey
Steelhead

Default Re: 2021 Ocean Coho season, anyone have a clue what we may see this year?

Jack numbers in Columbia very very high. Might be reason for optimism. After this lousy year we can use some optimism
dbjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:56 PM   #5
Mark Mc
King Salmon

Hi All,

So, I was actually talking to one of the panel members from the joint commission. I slyly hinted at the question....what to expect. I didn't get one bit of specific information. Only vague tidbits. My best guess is:

The options, then the final coho season will be announced. There will be one or more quota numbers, matched to season dates.

Fishermen (especially the internet types) will react. The reactions will include, but not limited to:

- those quotas are (a) great (b) average (c) terrible (d) other____ numbers

- those dates are (a) great (b) average (c) terrible

- PFMC / ODFW's logic is (quietly think to yourself the adjective)

There will be interesting but not necessarily logical responses such as:

"the quota is really high, therefore it will be a great season of catching"

Ron will try to be the voice of reason, and not use sarcasm like some people.

Eventually, the conspiracies will get to the point that Chum King will chime in.

Several people will thank Chum King.

"Happy New Year" everyone

Stay Healthy
Old 01-12-2021, 08:55 AM   #6
Radke
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mc View Post
Hi All,

So, I was actually talking to one of the panel members from the joint commission. I slyly hinted at the question....what to expect. I didn't get one bit of specific information. Only vague tidbits. My best guess is:

The options, then the final coho season will be announced. There will be one or more quota numbers, matched to season dates.

Fishermen (especially the internet types) will react. The reactions will include, but not limited to:

- those quotas are (a) great (b) average (c) terrible (d) other____ numbers

- those dates are (a) great (b) average (c) terrible

- PFMC / ODFW's logic is (quietly think to yourself the adjective)

There will be interesting but not necessarily logical responses such as:

"the quota is really high, therefore it will be a great season of catching"

Ron will try to be the voice of reason, and not use sarcasm like some people.

Eventually, the conspiracies will get to the point that Chum King will chime in.

Several people will thank Chum King.

"Happy New Year" everyone

Stay Healthy

WOOOHOOO Thanks Mark, ya got me all excited now.

I can now schedule my vacation so I can intercept them silvery buggers when they get here. Oh wait, I'm retired, I don't get vacation any more....
Old 01-12-2021, 08:59 AM   #7
Radke
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron m View Post
I don
t think the info is yet available online or if it is, I don't know where.

I've been told by an informed and reliable source that the expectation is for at the least a good coho season this year and that it might be an excellent season. As always, much will depend on both the wild and clipped coho numbers. Also the numbers for some of the runs/rivers.
Thanks Ron, I was hoping either you or Eric might chime in. I knew when I posted this it was a long shot this far out, but Coho fishing is my favorite outdoor activity anymore and I just couldn't help myself.

Grant
Old 01-12-2021, 09:14 AM   #8
DogZilla15
King Salmon

...We'll open it early so we can shut it down early when the quota is reached. Happens every year....
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:42 AM   #9
The Sailor
Steelhead

There will be a school that's 7 miles long and a mile wide off the mouth of the Columbia in early June.... Dog: just like other year's....
The Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:33 AM   #10
DogZilla15
King Salmon

3 and 4 lb. fish....
Old 01-12-2021, 12:10 PM   #11
The Sailor
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
3 and 4 lb. fish....
Yup! See-thru fillets!

Last edited by The Sailor; 01-12-2021 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Add
The Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:55 AM   #12
Dave G
King Lingcod

My inside sources say better than last year and last year wasn't bad for me, just over too soon.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:42 AM   #13
hoghauler
Tuna!

Smiles on peoples faces as they put those silvers in the box after watching them do their thing on the end of the line As far as how many fish will show up--- it seems to be a guessing game to me because the estimates from the (people in the know) have not been very accurate for several years now. I aint bashing anyone, just saying how I see it. Lets have fun and put fish in the box and who knows-- there might be some more of those BIG FAT nooks mixed in with those silvers again
hoghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:09 AM   #14
fishin"G"man
Ifish Nate

No clue on the forecast but what ever there is for a season I'll enjoy all that tug on my line. It's my favorite fish after Springer.

However, it seems I did hear something said about a good speculation on Coho. Lets hope the ocean currents favor fish forage and a "good" forecast for the Houdini's of escapement from the fish hook.
fishin"G"man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:47 PM   #15
wak'm&stak'm
King Salmon

My sources tell me..... I don’t have any freak’n sources.....so I am just going make some stuff up.

Coho good....probably smaller in June and larger in August.
wak'm&stak'm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:30 PM   #16
TyBoo
Steelhead

Maybe if we go back to calling them silvers they will figure they can sneak by because they don't think we are after coho.

Years ago in CB and dock talk they weren't even referred to as salmon. The coho were called silvers and the chinook were called salmon. I was just a high school kid and held that belief for quite a while after. I remember very clearly getting on the CB from the charter shop and calling, "KBT 1212 base to Unit 1 the Martex, how's fishing?" The reply would be something like, "We have 14 in the box, 5 of 'em salmon." Or it could have been Bud Painter on Unit 2 the Kimmie Sue saying the silvers were still small but one of the salmon was close to 40 pounds.

Now I prefer fishing for coho/silver salmon over chinook. I actually like it when they shut off the chinook at B10 and the crowds thin out, although it hurts a little to release a big bright one.

Last edited by TyBoo; 01-20-2021 at 10:20 AM.
TyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:38 PM   #17
DogZilla15
King Salmon

TyBoo... I hear ya, they're Silvers. The big ones are Chinook, not shinooks. I did tag a Silver incorrectly one day because it was a big one.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:56 PM   #18
TyBoo
Steelhead

Don't pay any mind to me. I'm just feeling old lately.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:46 PM   #19
remdog
Tuna!

I think it’s going to be great. It was great in Marine Area 1 like every year I’ve fished it the last 40 (When Open) Problem was we chewed through that quota super quick. I was laid off for the first time in 30 years and was stoked that I was out there almost every fishable day. Later on in the river, I couldn't believe the number of coho jacks we caught the last few days we went. Never hooked that many ever. If that’s any revelation of what's to come I think we're in for a bumper crop. I live on the Cowlitz River and the jack numbers there were equally as impressive clear into late November. And the steelhead that kinda mirrors the coho runs is off to a good start where I fish. So in summary I have no idea other than a hunch that I will have plenty of extra fish for friends and family again. Hoping for a larger ocean quota cause I think they just taste delicious compared to the river coho. Ready for some good news and my winter sthd season not being Interrupted by a pandemic and overzealous government mandate. Still shaking my head on that one. Fish on boys and girls!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2021, 10:33 AM   #20
Radke
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
...We'll open it early so we can shut it down early when the quota is reached. Happens every year....

I looked back over the past 4 seasons, we have only hit the quota one time, 2017 and that was the non selective season. I'm basing this off the salmon catch index that ODFW produces each year.

actually, shutting it down wouldn't be so bad, it would indicate a pretty good season, at least for a short while.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:39 AM   #21
TH
Ifish Nate

it will continue to be the best salmon fishery we have on the Oregon coast

Guns dont kill people.... Dad's with pretty daughters do.

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make some more!!!!
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:55 AM   #22
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radke View Post

I looked back over the past 4 seasons, we have only hit the quota one time, 2017 and that was the non selective season. I'm basing this off the salmon catch index that ODFW produces each year.

actually, shutting it down wouldn't be so bad, it would indicate a pretty good season, at least for a short while.
You're obviously looking at an area somewhere other than where I fish that's been shut down in the ocean every year I can remember but one I think.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Quiet Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:56 AM   #23
remdog
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
You're obviously looking at an area somewhere other than where I fish that's been shut down in the ocean every year I can remember but one I think.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Agreed Joe

Old 01-15-2021, 12:04 PM   #24
ron m
King Salmon

I'm pretty sure Radke fishes off Pacific and/or G - and hence was referencing SoF and I certainly was as I fish out of Newport - and some of you are referencing the CR area (NoF) as that's where you fish.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:29 PM   #25
remdog
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron m View Post
I'm pretty sure Radke fishes off Pacific and/or G - and hence was referencing SoF and I certainly was as I fish out of Newport - and some of you are referencing the CR area (NoF) as that's where you fish.

You are correct sir.

Old 01-15-2021, 01:20 PM   #26
kittiwake
Steelhead

The local hatchery is reporting a bumper crop of jacks this year in SONC ESU. Fingers crossed for a good ocean season!
kittiwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:59 PM   #27
West Wind Dave
Chromer

Columbia River hatcheries saw the largest number of Jack’s returning since 1977. Hoping that’s a good indication of a positive season

https://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/OSC...pectations.pdf

Last edited by West Wind Dave; 01-18-2021 at 03:01 PM.
West Wind Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:09 PM   #28
fishin"G"man
Ifish Nate

Coho 140,190 predicted adult return Preliminary return >2X forecast Jack return highest since 1977

MUCHO thanks for that web site info Dave!
fishin"G"man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:17 AM   #29
Puffin
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjockey View Post
Jack numbers in Columbia very very high. Might be reason for optimism. After this lousy year we can use some optimism
I don’t know about the Columbia but Newport was off the hook this year kings up to 50 pounds out of the ocean tons of silvers totally out of control hopefully we have another like that.
If the coast guard says GO FISH we do.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:31 AM   #30
Badsmerf
Steelhead

Is ocean fishing really that much better than in-river (coho and chinook)? With the way you guys describe it, it seems like you can catch all the salmon you want in the ocean and have no reason to even fish in-river!
Badsmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:01 PM   #31
ron m
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
Is ocean fishing really that much better than in-river (coho and chinook)? With the way you guys describe it, it seems like you can catch all the salmon you want in the ocean and have no reason to even fish in-river!
Your interpation is a little too optimistic about ocean salmon fishing. Some years the coho are plentiful and easy to catch on at least some days, rarely every day. And some years the coho are very elusive, difficult to find and catch.

I've rarely experienced chinook being easy to find and catch, I've had many more days without any chinook than I've had days where I caught even one, never mind two.

I'm an ocean guy, I rarely fish the riders, pretty much just occasionally for springers when the ocean is a no-go, so I don't know how easy or difficult it is to catch coho in the rivers. I've certainly not found springers easy to find and catch.

I've had salmon caught in rivers, even one considered an URB. IMO ocean salmon is the best eating with early springers being close to a tie with ocean chinook. I know folks that prefer ocean coho to any other salmon and I agree that it's pretty darn good.
ron m
Old 01-19-2021, 12:16 PM   #32
Flatfish
King Salmon

Quote:
The window on silvers is bigger in the ocean. When there's lots o silvers around, a limit aint too hard.

Once they hit freshwater, they don't bite as readily.

There can be some epic bites on cohos in freshwater. But not as often as in July and August (Season permitting) in the salt.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:15 PM   #33
West Wind Dave
Chromer

Quote:
There isn't a simple response, it's an apples to oranges comparison. I've been skunked in both arenas... plenty.

However, if you can find salmon in the ocean, in a good year with an abundance of fish, it's an absolute blast. Nothing quite like the chaos on a boat that takes place with a good Silver bite.

Note - in a good year. Sometimes we don't have good years. And sometimes you can go a few weeks without fishing because of less than ideal ocean conditions.
West Wind Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:38 PM   #34
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Prefer the ocean VS the river. But weather/conditions is a bigger determining factor for the ocean. When the ocean is "on" its a blast.
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:27 AM   #35
Puffin
Sturgeon

Quote:
Ding ding ding you win the prize. if you fish the ocean the river is known as the poison water because fish don’t live there. there’s no substitute for ocean salmon fishing. I have had days where we got eight Kings on the downrigger and laughed about the guys fission Springers up in the river hoping they would hook one. That’s in the spring the real salmon fishin hasn’t even started yet
If the coast guard says GO FISH we do.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #36
TH
Ifish Nate

Quote:
hard to have 20+ salmon days in the river, in the ocean those days are expected on the sc, especially at the river mouths

Guns dont kill people.... Dad's with pretty daughters do.

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make some more!!!!

Last edited by TH; 01-20-2021 at 10:16 AM.
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:09 AM   #37
Badsmerf
Steelhead

Since moving back to the PNW after a small 18 year stint in the MidWest... I'm learning the ins and outs of fishing here vs SE AK. I never dreamed of keeping fish in-river up there and fishing here is soooo much different. A boat isn't in my future for a few years, but I'd love to take some trips with guys crossing the bar to learn/experience what its like out there. I just can't give up the idea of running purple hearing or big plugs 200' on the downrigger for monster kings.
Badsmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:07 PM   #38
pearl
King Salmon

2021 PRE-SEASON PLANNING: OCEAN SALMON MEETING NOTICE
01/19/2021
The 2021 Ocean Salmon Industry Group meeting (OSIG) is scheduled for Thursday, February 25, 2021. This pre-season planning meeting will provide a review of the 2020 seasons, take a first look at the 2021 salmon forecasts, and develop a set of Oregon preferred recreational and commercial ocean salmon season concepts via public input to take forward through the Pacific Fishery Management Council (PFMC) regulation setting process. The OSIG meeting will be held virtually on-line this year due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic limitations (see details below).
The OSIG meeting is open to all ocean sport fishing anglers and charter operators, commercial salmon troll fishers, and any others interested in participating in the development of the 2021 ocean salmon seasons. Staff from ODFW will provide background materials and presentations and then work with meeting attendees to develop preferred season alternatives to use as guidance moving forward through the Pacific Fishery Management Council's season setting process. The on-line meeting is planned to start at 10:00 AM on Thursday, February 25. It is recommended that participants test their system prior to the meeting to iron out any technical problems they may have (option is available to call in by phone). There will be a lunch break between 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM that will also give participants time to formulate concepts for proposals. Links to the agenda and briefing materials for the meeting will be posted at www.dfw.state.or.us/mrp/salmon/ as they come available in January and February.
The first of the two salmon season setting meetings by the Pacific Fishery Management Council (PFMC) will be held virtually to develop a set of season alternatives. The final season setting meeting will occur in April 2-11 and will also be conducted in a virtual setting. Please visit the PFMC’s website at www.pcouncil.org for details.

Topic: 2021 Ocean Salmon Industry Group Meeting
Time: Feb 25, 2021 10:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join ZoomGov Meeting
https://www.zoomgov.com/j/1615325489

Meeting ID: 161 532 5489
One tap mobile
+16692545252,,1615325489# US (San Jose)
+16692161590,,1615325489# US (San Jose)

Dial by your location
+1 669 254 5252 US (San Jose)
+1 669 216 1590 US (San Jose)
+1 646 828 7666 US (New York)
+1 551 285 1373 US
Meeting ID: 161 532 5489
Find your local number: https://www.zoomgov.com/u/ab2sXAU4yY

Join by Skype for Business
https://www.zoomgov.com/skype/1615325489

If you have questions prior to the meeting, please email Eric Schindler at [email protected]
Old 01-20-2021, 06:37 PM   #39
dbjockey
Steelhead

Quote:
In a word, yes. Salmon are actively feeding in the ocean and the fishing can be bonkers but also is more often just consistently good. Lots of options in the ocean, bottomfish, flat fish, salmon, crab...

River fishing is what I do because I have a driftboat (and get seasick pretty badly) and it is fun but CATCHING in the ocean vs the river is not even a fair comparison. Ocean is where it is at.
dbjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:14 PM   #40
ssriverrat
Steelhead

Fingers crossed for at least as good as last year. I'm still kinda new, this will be my sixth season, but last year was pretty fun! The non selective weekend was awesome for getting the family out after em. Anxious to see what the quota looks like.
ssriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:10 AM   #41
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
Ding ding ding you win the prize. if you fish the ocean the river is known as the poison water because fish don’t live there. there’s no substitute for ocean salmon fishing. I have had days where we got eight Kings on the downrigger and laughed about the guys fission Springers up in the river hoping they would hook one. That’s in the spring the real salmon fishin hasn’t even started yet
In the 50s and 60s fishing with Dad he was pretty much done fishing by the first week in August. He felt the early ocean fishery produced the best quality fish and he wanted nothing to do with those Tules. In fact I've heard him ask folks at West End Basin dragging a Tule to the cleaning table if they had a lot of cats as your fish makes good cat food.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:25 AM   #42
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I paid for my slip yesterday so that’s probably a bad omen.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:46 AM   #43
Radke
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radke View Post

I thought about this statement over the past week, and I think it is partially bogus. I was only looking at what % of the quota was caught by the time the season ended, and if it wasn't 100%, then we didn't hit our quota. Well, at least in 2018 and again in 2020 we did not hit 100%, (high 90's), but no fish were caught in late September. That tells me they shut fishing down do to an expected catch rate that would have exceeded the quota, so for those years, I think I would agree we hit the quota.

And Ron M is correct, I only was looking at SOF, I do all my fishing out of Pacific City.

Radke.

Last edited by Radke; 01-22-2021 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:19 AM   #44
ron m
King Salmon

For some years now, we (central OR coast) have had 2 coho seasons, selective usually starting in June and non-selective starting end of Aug or early in Sept each year. So talk of catching the quota needs to be clarified by stating which season is being discussed.

My memory says that in the years since we've had the non-selective quota we haven't reached the selective quota in any of those years. But we've reached the quota in the non-selective season every year. I count the quota as having been reached if we're close enough that the managers do not allow another day of fishing. Most years the non-selective quota is not enough for very many days of fishing in Sept, but it often has terrific fishing for large coho which is why it's become such a popular season. Often terrific fishing for coho, but not every year, but most years. On non-selective days, the ramp in Newport looks like it's an all-depth halibut day with nice weather, that is it's a long wait to launch and a long wait to take out and rigs are parked out to and sometimes past the bridge.