22 suggestions for squirrel hunting - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 11-21-2020, 06:22 PM   #1
s10swany
Steelhead

Default 22 suggestions for squirrel hunting

I have been doing a ton of research on a good 22 for squirrel hunting and there seem to be a lot of options out there. From what I have read, bolt actions are a bit more accurate than semi autos out of the box. I'd like to spend much less than 500 dollars for one, but if there is one that is incredible I am willing to adjust. Anyone have any suggestions for a good 22 rifle? Thank you in advance!

s10swany is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2020, 06:33 PM   #2
Cathunter1
Sturgeon

Check out CZ maybe 455 or others ..22and .17 Barrel combo .
Cathunter1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:38 PM   #3
Cathunter1
Sturgeon

Looks like the 457 is the current model with combo barrels
Cathunter1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2020, 08:14 PM   #4
Fishndiver
Steelhead

Location: Far enough out of Eugene that I can’t see the tents.
Default Re: 22 suggestions for squirrel hunting

Savage fvsr. Sweet little bolt rifle and very accurate. I purchased it to mount a suppressor on it for backyard Starlings using sub-sonic ammo. It’s seen some action this fall on squrriels and has put a few in the freezer. I would suggest putting a good scope on it. I think most people cheap out on the scope for a duece, duece and never get the full potential out of it. I’ll break the norm of Internet forums and be honest here; I have had some feeding issues with the rifle. Like super annoying feeding issues usually when there is a herd bull squrriel making his way higher up a tree and I can’t get a bullet to chamber. I’m not sure if it’s the soft lead hollow point sub-sonic ammo I’m using or what.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A5F114BA-CA9A-46BF-883B-134D09D63EDB.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	758165  
Fishndiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:17 PM   #5
Sneaker
Tuna!

Tikka T1x.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:33 PM   #6
DogZilla15
King Salmon

CZ, have two.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:32 PM   #7
458win
Tuna!

Cz, tikka, ruger whichever suits your fancy. I’d look at 17hmr if you’re going for squirrels. Always good to have a solid 22 though.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:50 PM   #8
Creeping Death
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10swany View Post
I have been doing a ton of research on a good 22 for squirrel hunting and there seem to be a lot of options out there. From what I have read, bolt actions are a bit more accurate than semi autos out of the box. I'd like to spend much less than 500 dollars for one, but if there is one that is incredible I am willing to adjust. Anyone have any suggestions for a good 22 rifle? Thank you in advance!
Don’t complicate things. It’s a squirrel. Ruger 10/22. Tons of upgrades to improve accuracy. My 10/22 with ER Shaw barrel upgrade puts 25 rounds inside a quarter at 50 yds. That’ll kill lots of rodents.
Creeping Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:03 PM   #9
DD877
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post
Don’t complicate things. It’s a squirrel. Ruger 10/22. Tons of upgrades to improve accuracy. My 10/22 with ER Shaw barrel upgrade puts 25 rounds inside a quarter at 50 yds. That’ll kill lots of rodents.
That's why they are called a " Sage O Matic ".
DD877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:44 AM   #10
Pacific Fisher
Tuna!

My favorite is my old Winchester Model 63 pump that has been reliably killing squirrels and other small game since the early 1960's.

I also own a CZ 455 American with swap barrels in 22 LR and 17 HMR.
That 17 round can accurately reach way out there if the wind is not blowing

Craig Bell
Pacific Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:00 AM   #11
DogZilla15
King Salmon

PF.... The 63 is an autoloader. Outside his $500 price range by a couple hundred. This is based on what I see on-line. Have no idea if folks are getting their asking price??? Probably not.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:21 AM   #12
Pacific Fisher
Tuna!

Good catch Dog,
I have a Model 61 Winchester pump as I just edited.
I have Model 63 on my mind because I have been searching the net for days without success for a tang sight for a buddies Taurus Model 63 autoloader. As you may be aware Taurus made a run of Replicas of the superb old Winchester autos and pumps.
The Taurus copies look pretty darn good "old school classic" and would be in the posters price range. I have read of some cycling issues with the Model 63 clones, but my buddy's has worked fine.

There are a lot of folks really liking Marlin Model 60 autoloaders even over the very popular Ruger 10/22. Many report better out of the box accuracy than the 10/22. The 60 is a good low budget choice in an auto 22. I like the feel of the Marlins better than the Ruger 10/22's.
I have buddies that hunt Jackrabbits in Oregon that use Model 60's, especially for running shots which is always great sport.

Craig Bell

Last edited by Pacific Fisher; 11-22-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:38 AM   #13
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I've seen a couple of the Taurus 63's and agree they don't look too bad. The negative reviews are out there but maybe they're just a rifle that needs to be, "broken in." The Winchester tang sight model must be pretty rare, don't recall ever seeing one in person. If I read correctly, you're just looking for the sight. Probably be a long search. It'd be a shame if you had to buy the entire rifle just to get the sight.......... or not.

I will admit, my 455 isn't what I'd call accurate but neither are my eyes. One day I did some ammo testing and used cheap stuff along with stuff that had good reviews in the magazines. Did a half dozen 25 shot groups with each. The cheap stuff wasn't much different than the high grade, a couple extra flyers but otherwise the same. Testing is just as likely to be operator error as faults with the ammo. The only ammo that showed a likeness for my rifle was CCI Stinger. The longer case of the Stinger was a light crush fit in the chamber which was probably the reason. If I had to draw any conclusion from this testing I'd say my rifle has a sloppy chamber and standard ammo is just too loose. I thought getting the chamber sleeved and cut to tighter specs but haven't done it. I know it would help. So would an extended break in period.

Another possibility would be a Winchester Model 69A. Sweet guns.

I've owned two or three 10/.22's and was not happy with them. Mostly crappy triggers which affected accuracy. Without a good trigger on any rifle, accuracy cannot be accurately judged. If a person built a 10/.22 from the ground up it would probably pass any accuracy test with flying colors.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:51 AM   #14
Pacific Fisher
Tuna!

Dog,

Taurus offered factory tang sight for $20 when they were making those model 63's and for a while longer in their parts department. That supply has dried up. They come up on Ebay now and then for $30 to $50. They are not the same/interchangeable with the Winchester models. Those sights are expensive and not too available either.

My CZ is pretty accurate. These days it is the crappy 22 ammo that hamstrings good accuracy of 22 rifles. Even a lot of previously known to be accurate target grade stuff is no longer consistent. Hate that when my money is no good to buy something that is supposed to "high quality". A ton of good info about this over on the excellent "rimfirecentral" site.

Concerning eyes, long gone is my ability to head shoot a Squirrel feeling safe high up in a notch of a tall Beech tree with my open sighted 61. My 61 like all my rifles wears a scope.

Craig Bell

Last edited by Pacific Fisher; 11-22-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:20 AM   #15
gettin' fishy
Sturgeon

My favorite 22 currently in the safe is an old Ithica model 49. It's a little single shot with open sights but it's a good little shooter. I have some CCI cb shorts that I use in it. It proved itself this year at deer camp putting a few grouse in the pot.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
gettin' fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:25 AM   #16
Banknote
Steelhead

Dang, I thought I was about to read a list of 22 tips for squirrel hunting.

I’ve been using an old Mossberg 146B-A with cheap 4x scope for almost 40 years. Bolt action with barrel length tube magazine that I think holds 20 rounds of 22LR (it’s been a while since I loaded it fully.) Also shoots shorts. It’s always been super accurate for me, but maybe it’s time to upgrade the scope.

A quick search turned a couple up on popular auction site for $250-$330 starting bids.
Banknote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:20 PM   #17
James in Idaho
Sturgeon

I've got a CZ with a Leopold 2 x 7 and I really like it, as accurate as I can be. Also have a Henry, which is a blast, need to get a better scope on it. Like many of us with the road in front being shorter than the one behind us, my eyes don't do open sights very well any more. Also have a 10/22, upgraded the trigger springs, it's ok, but I rarely shoot it. But if you want to tinkertoy a rifle, it's got the most after market stuff. Then again, showing my age with "tinkertoy", I had several sets!

Uncork the Snake!
James in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:27 PM   #18
pinhead2
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndiver View Post
Savage fvsr. Sweet little bolt rifle and very accurate. I purchased it to mount a suppressor on it for backyard Starlings using sub-sonic ammo. It’s seen some action this fall on squrriels and has put a few in the freezer. I would suggest putting a good scope on it. I think most people cheap out on the scope for a duece, duece and never get the full potential out of it. I’ll break the norm of Internet forums and be honest here; I have had some feeding issues with the rifle. Like super annoying feeding issues usually when there is a herd bull squrriel making his way higher up a tree and I can’t get a bullet to chamber. I’m not sure if it’s the soft lead hollow point sub-sonic ammo I’m using or what.
Have you tried a different magazine? I have the 17HMR version of that rifle and have had zero issues. I definitely recommend it. The accutrigger is exceptional--as good as a $200 Farquharson that I have on one of my 10-22s, and the accuracy is phenomenal. A 17hmr is a bit much for a squirrel that you intend to eat, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Savage17hmr.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	758231   Click image for larger version

Name:	17hmr50yd.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	758233  
pinhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:36 PM   #19
willametteriveroutlaw
King Salmon

I really like my ruger rpr 22..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Call Sign: Leadbetter
willametteriveroutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:01 AM   #20
Lucky Guy
King Salmon

Here you go, Henry Pump Octagon

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/pump...octagon-rifle/

Hard to beat an older CZ 452 American too for a walk around plinker, getting harder to find now.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/884075059 They made them with 22" barrels if the 25" is too long.

If you're fond of older american rifles a 60's beehive remington is hard to beat, 512's and 511's, also with 25" bbl's.
Lucky Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:43 AM   #21
Oregonboy8
Chromer

I was in the same boat earlier this year and picked up a Tikka T1X.

Very impressed.
Oregonboy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #22
DogZilla15
King Salmon

A lot of older .22's have barrels much too long. To keep them legal, cutting them back to 18 1/2" is a practical move. Maybe not for open sights but a scoped gun might benefit. Make for easier packing if nothing else.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:04 AM   #23
458win
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead2 View Post
Have you tried a different magazine? I have the 17HMR version of that rifle and have had zero issues. I definitely recommend it. The accutrigger is exceptional--as good as a $200 Farquharson that I have on one of my 10-22s, and the accuracy is phenomenal. A 17hmr is a bit much for a squirrel that you intend to eat, though.
Volquartsen trigger? A Farquharson may be a little out of the OPs price range...
Old 11-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #24
pinhead2
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 458win View Post
Volquartsen trigger? A Farquharson may be a little out of the OPs price range...
I never get that spelled right. Gotta be careful or it comes out obscene.
pinhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:15 AM   #25
StrawberryMTN
Tuna!

Marlin .22. Semi auto with tube feed. Don't get semi auto with mags...they jam a lot. .22 is a dirty bullet.
StrawberryMTN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #26
jimh
King Salmon

What kind of squirrels are you hunting? Fox squirrels are a lot bigger. Growing up we only head shot gray squirrels with 22s. Most of us had Marlin or Glenfield semiautos with a tiny rimfire scopes. Our shots were usually less than 40 yds because that’s as far as we could see.

If I was going to do it now, I’d probably just use a Ruger 10/22 with good trigger and a nice regular sized scope.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:21 AM   #27
Flatfish
King Salmon

A Kimber would work well.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote