Need help with flyfishing - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Flyfishers

Old 11-20-2020, 02:14 PM   #1
Fishin4life!
Steelhead

Default Need help with flyfishing

I'm not a fly guy, but my Son-in-law is. He is stationed in Italy and has been flyfishing quite a bit and doing ok on Browns. I want to get him some gear/flies, what are some good flies for browns and must have gear? Thanks any help is much appreciated.

Fishin4life! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2020, 02:38 PM   #2
Snapt
Super Moderator

Default Re: Need help with flyfishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin4life! View Post
I'm not a fly guy, but my Son-in-law is. He is stationed in Italy and has been flyfishing quite a bit and doing ok on Browns. I want to get him some gear/flies, what are some good flies for browns and must have gear? Thanks any help is much appreciated.
Brown trout will rise to small insects like mayflies, caddies and midges, during a hatch. They will also take nymphs and streamers. The standard trout fishing rod is a 9ft 5wt with a reel that balances with it and a weight forward 5wt. Floating line. If you have a fly shop in your area they can give you ideas on flies and other equipment. Or, you can look for a fly shop online and order from them. Other equipment might include nippers, pliers, fly boxes, leaders, tippet material, a vest or gear pack, books, on and on.
Snapt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:27 PM   #3
Tagster
Ifish Nate

If he is already fishing alot, then a monogrammed custom fly box would be a nice gift.

I got an aluminum engraved Richard Wheatley for my 50th from my wife and it is a super cool gift.

Fishing pliers are stupid expensive and a good pair of simms, Van Staals, Cheekies would be well received.

I also really like my waterproof Simms DryZ backpack - spendy, but super practical when wading.

Have fun shopping!
Tagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2020, 07:24 PM   #4
CopperMan
Chromer

I don't know anything about fishing in Italy so it's hard to recommend a fly selection. I like the fly box idea. We all need more storage for flies. I'm also guessing that the Brown Trout are of normal size (6 to 20"), so I think a nice pair of forceps and barb crimpers would be a great gift. Look at the Dr. Slick web site for ideas.

Does your son-in-law tie his own flies? If so, then a good pair of scissors and/or a bobbin make sense. I'm not exclusively promoting Dr. Slick products, but they do make good fly tying scissors and bobbins too.

Since you have to ship the stuff to Italy, these items are all fairly small and easy to package up. I imagine since he already fishes there that he has rod/reel/lines in good order. Plus shipping a rod would be expensive I think. If you knew what weight rod he fishes with, a nice Weight Forward floating line like Rio's Avid Trout series is a good choice. The WF5F (weight forward 5 weight floating) is on sale at Amazon for $60. Good fly lines are in the $60 to $90+ range.

Oh, another idea is fluorocarbon tippet in 3x, 4x, 5x, and 6x diameters would always be welcomed in my house, plus the spools snap together and would be easy to ship.

Wow ... I think I'll just copy this post and give it to my wife for Christmas ideas ... LoL. Good luck and I'm sure whatever you come up with will be welcomed and appreciated, CopperMan.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:27 PM   #5
dbjockey
Steelhead

A decent vest is a good gift. Most guys when they are starting out will spend on rod and reel and get a piece of junk vest. Then when you finally get a decent one (my father in law actually bought my "good" vest for me) you wonder "What the heck was I doing?"
dbjockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #6
Sparky of SoCal
Steelhead

Someone gave me a fancy dandy embroidered journal to use as a trip/catch diary. It took me awhile to use it and appreciate it. 20 some years later I am surprised how I cherish something so simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sparky of SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:14 PM   #7
SquarePeg
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin4life! View Post

Son in law suggests there's a daughter in there somewhere and she's your ally. Maybe she can sneak into his fishing stuff and send you pictures of the flies he's using, also his rod and reel, and that would give you some ideas of where you could help him upgrade vs where he's already top of the line, what flies might help him, etc. Likewise, if he is getting his stuff there, she might help you find out where .. maybe you could contact them and find out more about what flies would be better than what he already has, or what sizes to get, or ... something of that sort. Just guessing though.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:26 PM   #8
Dave Smith
Sturgeon

I have friends that fish for Browns in Italy. They use small dry flies much more than large streamers. Lot's crystal clear water and picky fish, if that helps at all. DS

2010 appointee Oregon GOOSE TASK FORCE
Dave Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:09 PM   #9
Fishin4life!
Steelhead

Thanks all for the helpful suggestions.
Fishin4life! is offline   Reply With Quote