Ordering glasses over the Net - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 11-06-2020, 05:05 AM   #1
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Default Ordering glasses over the Net

Well, I had this unfilled prescription -- been relying on readers -- but decided my vision needed full correction. So I tried an online vendor, measured the distance between pupils the best I could in the mirror, and pulled the trigger. I used Zenni, as they get some good reviews and their prices are attractive, at least to me. We'll see how accurately the progressives come out in a few days. Fingers crossed.

Advertisement

Old 11-06-2020, 05:41 AM   #2
Rickster
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Ordering glasses over the Net

I used Zenni last time. The glasses were about the same quality as I got from Wal-Mart's optical dept. The prices were significantly better. I ordered the basic distance and readers from WM, so I already knew all the measurements. I ordered shades, bifocals, and music readers from Zenni. I am looking forward to the next prescription, so I can add to that order. I'm thinking of adding driving glasses, safety glasses, and shades with bifocals to the heard. Hope it works out for you.

Last edited by Rickster; 11-06-2020 at 05:42 AM.
Rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:18 AM   #3
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Rickster, in the most recent past I had used Costco and America's Best (and priciest). Never tried Walmart. The specs I ordered are progressives, rimless, with anti-reflective coating and blue light protection, for $115 delivered, with tax.
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2020, 06:53 AM   #4
shanem
Ifish Nate

Bill - If it doesn’t work out you should check out Warby Parker. I’ve ordered a few times from them and it worked out well. Good prices too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2020, 07:31 AM   #5
GodLovesUgly
Coho

I can never tell what something is going to look like on my dome until I actually put it on my face
GodLovesUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:34 AM   #6
ampersat
King Salmon

I've used Zenni several times in the past. You save a lot of money but I have to say that I'm a lot happier with the current pair that I got at Costco.
Zenni frames almost always have something weird going on with them. Inspect them very closely, millimeter by millimeter. Those frames are on a deep discount because a lot of them are bug ugly. Even the decent ones will have something weird that you maybe didn't notice while you were appreciating their low low price on the website.
The "try it on with a picture" thing is no substitute for actually putting a physical object on your face and seeing how it feels. Glasses can be too narrow, too wide, too heavy.
I've been a lot happier with the lenses in my current Costco pair. I can't really say what/how is different but my Zenni glasses always seemed a little 'off'.
I had gone into Costco on a regular shopping run and noticed the optical area didn't have much of a line so I grabbed a ticket. A minute later I was explaining that my somewhat new glasses slide down my nose. The very nice person did a quick and accurate fitting on my frames and I haven't been this happy with glasses in years. Yeah, you can probably get your internet glasses fit by someone somewhere and be as satisfied with them. I was never able to get the fitting done well on my own and it's the sort of thing that you deal with every hour of every day of wearing your glasses.
If you are going to buy online glasses, you can stop by an optical department in the store of your choice and have them do a quick pupillary distance measurement with the proper tool in under a minute. Seriously, getting this part wrong is a recipe for not seeing well and possibly making your vision worse.

If you spend $200 on a pair of glasses and wear them every day for a year, that's $.55 a day. That seems cheap to me. For me, trying to save on eyewear is not a good value.

The days are long but the years are short.
ampersat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
bllelk
Ifish Nate

Location: In a tent down by the river in Elkton, most of the time

Bill, You're right on the border. Don't they have dentists and opticians in your nearest border town? We usually get those things taken care of in Algadones, Mx. which is right next to Yuma. Az.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:07 AM   #8
positize
Sturgeon

Our family of 6 has used Zenni for the last ten years or so. And my brother's family too. Dozens of pairs between all of us. Not one problem with all those different glasses. My kids are pretty darn picky and they have have been happy with them too.

My wife buys multiple styles of glasses for various purposes - and does not feel guilty because they are so reasonably priced. I suppose if you are someone that needs to try on a dozen shirts and stare at each in the mirror before you find 'the perfect one' - then maybe buying items over the Internet is not for you. But we're all a lot less picky than that - and appreciate Zenni's very reasonable prices and quality.
Old 11-07-2020, 04:58 AM   #9
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Well, we shall see how these Zennis look and fit. Hope they are useable. Shane, Warby Parker was next on the list.
Bill, I updated my passport just so I could go to Palomas, but that avenue is currently closed by the virus. Besides, I would have to self-quarantine for 14 days and miss two weeks of work even if I came back healthy.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:20 AM   #10
Chad D.
Tuna!

I went to a local eye doc for my annual exam and received my prescription. I then went to Eyeglasses USA dot-whatever and picked the frames I liked. Pick the lens type I want, any coatings, you get it. Enter my prescription and insurance info and click to make the purchase. Was that easy. Frame choices were very plentiful. Prices were acceptable and the turnaround time was good.
Chad D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:46 AM   #11
Han Solo
King Salmon

x2 for Warby Parker. We added the auto shading feature and paid about 1/2 what the eye clinic charged last time.

So far so good.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:17 AM   #12
Tagster
Ifish Nate

I buy glasses once every 4 or 5 years and contacts once a year.

It is a little more expensive for me to buy them from my local optometrist, but I am happy to pay a little extra to help keep him in business.

If I had to outfit a family multiple times, I may feel differently.
Tagster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:33 AM   #13
goodie
Chromer

Where do you go to get the glasses fitted to your face after you buy them on the internet?
3:00 am for fishing
goodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:45 AM   #14
gettin' fishy
Sturgeon

I don't know if I could buy online. I go through 3 or 4 pairs in my eye doctors office before I find something that fits my face and I like. I may pay a little more at the office, but they have always treated me good and taken care of any repairs right away. When they can get my insurance to cover my Maui Jim prescription sunglasses, I'm not going to complain.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
gettin' fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:54 AM   #15
James in Idaho
Sturgeon

I can't even buy boots that fit over the Net...I'll stick with my eye doc! But I only wear contacts.

Uncork the Snake!
James in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:04 PM   #16
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Glad y'all are in a financial position to pay $400 instead of $100. Hope none of you ever has to rely on just Social Security for income.
Got the Zennis and need to fiddle with the temples. Have to wear them for a few days.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:07 AM   #17
Grantspastor
King Salmon

Default Ordering glasses over the Net

I’ll answer this as an Optician for fifty years. Single vision and bifocals should be fine. Progressive lenses are the problem. There are over two thousand on the market, and some are really bad. Guess which ones they use?
Even their “upgrade” is a lower tier lens. Your PD is an important measurement. I take them for people at no charge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grantspastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:36 PM   #18
s10swany
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanem View Post
Bill - If it doesn’t work out you should check out Warby Parker. I’ve ordered a few times from them and it worked out well. Good prices too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have had great luck from Warby Parker as well. My wife and I have used them a few times over the last 5 years.
s10swany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:07 PM   #19
Sneaker
Tuna!

Hey Bill, how do you measure pupil to pupil? Yardstick?
Old 11-22-2020, 06:51 AM   #20
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Zenni instructs that you measure with a ruler in millimeters looking into the mirror from about 8 inches. I think I got it pretty close.