North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2020, 11:44 AM   #1
jacksalmon
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: portland
Posts: 3,998
Default North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

I was surprised to see no threads relating to salmon fishing in the tidewater and river areas of the North Coast rivers, so I thought I would start one just to get some info on what kind of fishing people are experiencing there. But, maybe, people want to keep them as the last hush, hush fisheries and that is okay also.


Last edited by jacksalmon; 10-16-2020 at 11:45 AM.
jacksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #2
Whethole
Sturgeon
 
Whethole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Surrounding Hills
Posts: 4,828
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

I have been hitting river estuaries along the north coast, and have had a great fall season. Ive mainly been having them bury bobbers, but have also had some action on spinners. Its great to see the fishing rebound to some degree from the dismal last couple of years. Ive also been getting into some better sized fish, with one buck going 29.7 lbs on me scale. It's a miracle I even landed that one, as a seal damn near had an easy meal while fighting it, and then after I netted it. I'll soon begin drifting upper rivers in search of willing biters. I'm a few fish away from filling up my harvest card, so a hatch card may be in my future...
__________________
"Lets keep the stupid to a minimum."
18x60 Willies Drift Boat
Whethole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:22 PM   #3
DogZilla15
King Salmon
 
DogZilla15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 35,976
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Hush, hush.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-16-2020, 12:23 PM   #4
Bladdershy
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Oregon city
Posts: 1,427
Default

I was surprised on Tuesday evening fish pics weren't being posted. Rivers were prime as a slug a fish blew up most coast tribs. Bout the same time as they blew up last year. Maybe saw 4 boats on that stretch of river all day. 2for3 on sardine wrapped fickle pickle and double trouble.
Sure glad I loaded up on URB'S a few weeks ago.. I almost forgot how these coastal turds taste..
Bladdershy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:57 PM   #5
Whethole
Sturgeon
 
Whethole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Surrounding Hills
Posts: 4,828
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Bladder, me likey the fickle pickle. Its one of my go to in colored water. My first is the Seahawk.
__________________
"Lets keep the stupid to a minimum."
18x60 Willies Drift Boat
Whethole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #6
jacksalmon
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: portland
Posts: 3,998
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladdershy View Post
I was surprised on Tuesday evening fish pics weren't being posted. Rivers were prime as a slug a fish blew up most coast tribs. Bout the same time as they blew up last year. Maybe saw 4 boats on that stretch of river all day. 2for3 on sardine wrapped fickle pickle and double trouble.
Sure glad I loaded up on URB'S a few weeks ago.. I almost forgot how these coastal turds taste..
Maybe that is why there haven't been any reports. I keep hoping that the bubble around T Bay remains fishable til the end because those fish are better than river fish. But, even the rivers, will put out the occasional fresh, bright ones.
jacksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:51 PM   #7
Wildswede
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Posts: 1,045
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Fished the Wilson tidewater the past 3 days and it was dead, dead, dead. We expected it to be red hot following the recent rain and the river being on the drop but there were no fish. Where are they ???
Wildswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:14 PM   #8
lordblitzalot
Chromer
 
lordblitzalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: aloha,OR
Posts: 544
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildswede View Post
Fished the Wilson tidewater the past 3 days and it was dead, dead, dead. We expected it to be red hot following the recent rain and the river being on the drop but there were no fish. Where are they ???

up river
lordblitzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:38 AM   #9
NEUTRON
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Oregon City, Or, Usa
Posts: 3,897
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

"coastal turds" - you must be preparing them wrong... "loaded up" = killing too many. keep spreading the joy so valley turds from OC will stay home with their valley attitudes.


OH fishing has been good. DUH. Gully washer rain, fish go home.
__________________
Buckeye Troll club, #1 poison nut hater. Cry Feeesh Member 91.
NEUTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:50 AM   #10
DogZilla15
King Salmon
 
DogZilla15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 35,976
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Jacksalmon: “Fresh bright ones.” Color outside is no indication of quality inside. Chromers may have meat that’s a little orange or completely white. A little orange is not prime, not even close. Agree with bladdershy, coastal turds. URB’s made me a salmon snob.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:10 AM   #11
alfon
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 147
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Caught a Buck Coho that had that beautiful red on it side in the freshwater about 10 miles from the saltwater. in one of the nearby S/W Washington Rivers. Meat was beautiful orange red, his sperm glands were still relatively small. Caught Chinook as well in the same general location earlier that were bronze and still had nice reddish / orange colored meat. These fish were good eating, nothing wrong with them.....
alfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:34 AM   #12
Tcoastal
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tillamook
Posts: 185
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Tidewater has been dead so far this year, everything appears to be moving right on through. Plenty of fish upriver though after the rains, if it doesn't rain for a few weeks they may start appearing in tidewater finally. +1 on the bigger fish this year, I'm surprised with how many were not caught in the bay with as many as I saw caught on Wednesday.
Tcoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:55 AM   #13
jacksalmon
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: portland
Posts: 3,998
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoastal View Post
Tidewater has been dead so far this year, everything appears to be moving right on through. Plenty of fish upriver though after the rains, if it doesn't rain for a few weeks they may start appearing in tidewater finally. +1 on the bigger fish this year, I'm surprised with how many were not caught in the bay with as many as I saw caught on Wednesday.
Were the fish you saw caught on Wednesday in river fish? Not asking for the name(s) of the river(s), just wondering if the action you saw was in some river as opposed to tidewater.
jacksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #14
Tcoastal
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tillamook
Posts: 185
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksalmon View Post
Were the fish you saw caught on Wednesday in river fish? Not asking for the name(s) of the river(s), just wondering if the action you saw was in some river as opposed to tidewater.
Yep, all upriver fish. Both Trask and Wilson are producing good fish upriver.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Tcoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:01 AM   #15
jacksalmon
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: portland
Posts: 3,998
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoastal View Post
Yep, all upriver fish. Both Trask and Wilson are producing good fish upriver.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks.
jacksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:02 PM   #16
jacksalmon
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: portland
Posts: 3,998
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Jacksalmon: “Fresh bright ones.” Color outside is no indication of quality inside. Chromers may have meat that’s a little orange or completely white. A little orange is not prime, not even close. Agree with bladdershy, coastal turds. URB’s made me a salmon snob.
Yes, you are correct. What I should have said was that the rivers can kick out some good-eating fish, from time to time. Actually, though, the salmon that made me a salmon snob were chinook caught off the NW end of Vancouver Island. I have never caught and eaten any fish in Oregon, from salt or fresh water, that even came close to those Canadian chinook. They were so oily and I have never found any Oregon fish to ever come close to the fat those fish had. Eating Oregon fish is like eating toast compared to those Canadian chinook, but the Oregon salmon are still pretty edible.

But what keeps me going back to Oregon rivers for fall chinook is the manner of fishing. I like trying to figure out where they are and what they'll take even if their table quality is not the finest. I would much rather fish for them in the rivers than troll for them in the ocean. For me, the river fishing offers more of what fishing is all about. But, whatever one prefers is good enough as long as one gets out there and enjoys it.

Last edited by jacksalmon; 10-17-2020 at 04:06 PM.
jacksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:13 PM   #17
BigBlueFisher
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Eugene
Posts: 148
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksalmon View Post
Yes, you are correct. What I should have said was that the rivers can kick out some good-eating fish, from time to time. Actually, though, the salmon that made me a salmon snob were chinook caught off the NW end of Vancouver Island. I have never caught and eaten any fish in Oregon, from salt or fresh water, that even came close to those Canadian chinook. They were so oily and I have never found any Oregon fish to ever come close to the fat those fish had. Eating Oregon fish is like eating toast compared to those Canadian chinook, but the Oregon salmon are still pretty edible.

But what keeps me going back to Oregon rivers for fall chinook is the manner of fishing. I like trying to figure out where they are and what they'll take even if their table quality is not the finest. I would much rather fish for them in the rivers than troll for them in the ocean. For me, the river fishing offers more of what fishing is all about. But, whatever one prefers is good enough as long as one gets out there and enjoys it.
Those fish were possibly heading to Oregon and bulking up on the way. The fish caught in the Oregon salt in early summer are typically very high quality fish.
BigBlueFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:29 PM   #18
CrazyCaptnWillie
Fry
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: PDX
Posts: 16
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Does anyone know whether Mills Bridge boat ramp has reopened? I may have an empty seat in my drift boat early this week
CrazyCaptnWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #19
roost4u
Tuna!
 
roost4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aloha, Oreon
Posts: 1,590
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

I didn't know it was closed. I bank fished down there Tuesday and didn't see any signage that it was closed. They were out of pay envelopes though.
roost4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:35 PM   #20
Tcoastal
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tillamook
Posts: 185
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by roost4u View Post
I didn't know it was closed. I bank fished down there Tuesday and didn't see any signage that it was closed. They were out of pay envelopes though.
How'd ya do Tuesday? I was on the Trask in the morning, fighting the wind and rain all for one missed bobber down

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Tcoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:41 PM   #21
roost4u
Tuna!
 
roost4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aloha, Oreon
Posts: 1,590
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

I went 2 for 7. The two were native coho so back they go. I also landed one Chinook that I snagged and broke off 3 other Chinook because my equipment was under rated for the heavy flows. Normally I'd be ecstatic to have so many bites in a day but I really wanted to take some fish home so it was so so. Plus I lost 3 of those things that the fish were biting really well.
roost4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:29 PM   #22
CrazyCaptnWillie
Fry
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: PDX
Posts: 16
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Floated today from Siskey to Mills Bridge - we were a little early before the high tide. River is pretty low and clear - hit the damnit rock with my drifter running minefield - casted to some rollers but didnt see any landed and none on the line.

Is Mills to Sollie Smith the drift to do for nooks? Im a more successful steelheader than chinook fisherman. I'm thinking I need to be there sooner after rains, and closer to the high tide.
CrazyCaptnWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:43 PM   #23
DT
Chromer
 
DT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 548
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

1:1 today with a smaller hatchery buck a fair ways from tidewater on a North Coast river. This one had a touch of bronze, but it was a hatchery fish, so I bonked it. Saw a few others caught -- a mix of dusky and fresher fish. Maybe the next slug of rain will push some more fish upriver.

DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:30 PM   #24
Siletz Steel
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 201
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Day late and a dollar short twice this week. Fished Friday showed up at 7:15 only to be greeted by 7 of my new best friends. Guys kept coming and going all Day never did have the spot to myself but no matter. The one thing they all had in common were stories of how Thursday was the day with stories of double digit hookups, everyone hooking fish with most getting one that was keep-able. Friday was pretty dead. Saw 6 fish hooked 4 landed 3 keepers the largest probably high teens the other 2 around 10-12. Fished from 7:15 to 6 got 1 dark jack. Knew Saturday would be even more crowded so stayed home and did chores. Fished again today and had the bank to myself the whole time. Talked to the 3 boats that came through all of them had their fish and all told me that where I was fishing was packed when they came through Saturday and there were several fish on the bank. I started this morning at 7:15 got a cutthroat and a dark jack by 7:30 then the hole went dead. Fished till 3:30 without getting so much as a sideways glance from a fish.
Siletz Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:53 AM   #25
roost4u
Tuna!
 
roost4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aloha, Oreon
Posts: 1,590
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Floated the Wilson yesterday. Light boat traffic. I only landed a couple native coho and I only saw one other fish landed and it was a native coho. I wasn't near them when they landed it but I had waited above them for a long time to land the fish. I finally went around on the inside and fished below them. 10 minutes later the coho came floating down belly up. It was only about 10lbs.

Come on people, land the fish. Stop fighting them forever. If you're in a boat and the fish isn't making a run down river you should be able to land just about any fish in under 5 minutes. Take the time to revive them as well. Even if it takes a while. Be respectful of the resource.
roost4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:08 PM   #26
adamg
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 343
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Trask tidewater today. First light till around noon. A few boats, fewer fish. Dead dead dead. Saw one hooked and lost around first light, saw one or two roll throughout the morning but that was it.
adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:12 PM   #27
shouldbehunting
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: El Tigre
Posts: 1,112
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

We need some more rain!
shouldbehunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:31 PM   #28
In2theoutdoors
Fry
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Dallas
Posts: 15
Default

Are there any shuttle services on the Trask or Wilson? I’d like to drift them, but not sure how to get the truck down river if I’m on the boat.
In2theoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:22 AM   #29
roost4u
Tuna!
 
roost4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aloha, Oreon
Posts: 1,590
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

503-812-3887. That's who I use on the Wilson. Not sure if he does the Trask. Cost is 20 bucks.
roost4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:24 AM   #30
adamg
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 343
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by roost4u View Post
503-812-3887. That's who I use on the Wilson. Not sure if he does the Trask. Cost is 20 bucks.

Yes, Jim shuttles on the trask, wilson and kilchis. Great service , never had a problem. I usually dump my boat and call him from the first hole.
adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:33 AM   #31
jacksalmon
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: portland
Posts: 3,998
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldbehunting View Post
We need some more rain!
One would think that is the answer. However, I went outside T Bay the other day and it was not only devoid of fishers, but also fish, chinook, or silvers. The absence of fishers tells me that the recent experience has not been very good out there. So, there may not be many fish outside waiting to come in when it does rain.

By the way, there is no serious rain in the forecast through November 1, so it'll be close to two weeks before that will even happen. It seems the serious fall rains start later and later each year. However, we did have some good rainfall 10 days ago. That brought some fish in, but I still wonder how many are out there waiting for more, judging by how bad it was outside the Bay the other day.
jacksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:07 AM   #32
Greenleaf
Chromer
 
Greenleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 611
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Robert Bradley, the ODFW north coast district fish biologist, presented at the recent Nestucca, Neskowin and Sand Lake Watersheds Council board meeting and stated that the conditions this year are shaping up like last year, in which we experienced that worst Cryptobia outbreak in recent memory. We definitely need some rain! And less water being removed from the river through the summer, but that is a different issue...
__________________
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water- Loren Eiseley
Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #33
CrazyCaptnWillie
Fry
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: PDX
Posts: 16
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

I will second Jim and usually call him from the first hole.
CrazyCaptnWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #34
AlseaAssassin
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Upper Clack
Posts: 4,683
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

When the rivers had some water in them last week it was some great fishing. I know late report but I would have been a fool to post it then.
AlseaAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:04 AM   #35
Tcoastal
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tillamook
Posts: 185
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlseaAssassin View Post
When the rivers had some water in them last week it was some great fishing. I know late report but I would have been a fool to post it then.
Anybody with even a little experience fishing knows you go after the rain, and don't wait for the reports. A LOT of fish moved upriver with the rain, I was surprised at the numbers given how slow the bay was most days

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Tcoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:56 PM   #36
AlseaAssassin
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Upper Clack
Posts: 4,683
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoastal View Post
Anybody with even a little experience fishing knows you go after the rain, and don't wait for the reports. A LOT of fish moved upriver with the rain, I was surprised at the numbers given how slow the bay was most days

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I was pleasantly surprised at how many fish were around. Should be plenty on redds soon.
AlseaAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:26 PM   #37
Kirkll
Steelhead
 
Kirkll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mulino
Posts: 391
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoastal View Post
Anybody with even a little experience fishing knows you go after the rain, and don't wait for the reports. A LOT of fish moved upriver with the rain, I was surprised at the numbers given how slow the bay was most days

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I can testify to it being slow in the Bay. i fished Thurs, Friday , and half of last Saturday with only one take down to show for it. in 3 days time i saw very few chinook boated and there were 50 boats out there....The sea weed was really bad in the ghost hole too.... tough fishing conditions, but beautiful weather.

Kirk
Kirkll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #38
Siletz Steel
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 201
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

With the water extremely low clear and cold my plan was to stick and move hitting several spots some well known others not so much. The plan was solid and I was very optimistic that I would hook up. Arrived at my most upstream location just after first light there was 1/2 dozen rigs already launched and a couple more waiting got down to the water and was fishing by 7:20. I saw one fish roll then the hole went dead. Not loosing my optimism I kept moving and each spot was the same nothing moving only saw 3 others on the bank all day and none had as much as a bobber down. I threw everything in my pack including (wait for it) eggs! Don't think I even got a sideways glance from a fish. What started out as a solid plan with a lot of optimism turned into the definition of insanity (doing the same thing over and over hoping for a different result). At 5:30 I decided that 10 hours of whipping a dead horse was enough so I packed it in. Talked with several boats over the course of my travels, a few keepers were caught along with some dark fish but there were a lot of goose eggs on the board as well. Hope springs eternal so I'll be back at it again soon. Hope they were biting where you were fishing.
Siletz Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:36 AM   #39
jacksalmon
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: portland
Posts: 3,998
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siletz Steel View Post
With the water extremely low clear and cold my plan was to stick and move hitting several spots some well known others not so much. The plan was solid and I was very optimistic that I would hook up. Arrived at my most upstream location just after first light there was 1/2 dozen rigs already launched and a couple more waiting got down to the water and was fishing by 7:20. I saw one fish roll then the hole went dead. Not loosing my optimism I kept moving and each spot was the same nothing moving only saw 3 others on the bank all day and none had as much as a bobber down. I threw everything in my pack including (wait for it) eggs! Don't think I even got a sideways glance from a fish. What started out as a solid plan with a lot of optimism turned into the definition of insanity (doing the same thing over and over hoping for a different result). At 5:30 I decided that 10 hours of whipping a dead horse was enough so I packed it in. Talked with several boats over the course of my travels, a few keepers were caught along with some dark fish but there were a lot of goose eggs on the board as well. Hope springs eternal so I'll be back at it again soon. Hope they were biting where you were fishing.
Were you on the Siletz? If so, your experience might indicate why there is a one chinook per year limit on that river. Although, I have read where the expected return did not justify the extremely small limit. Otherwise, one might not expect much action in the rivers with no rain for so long. But, what is concerning is the multitude of poor reports from places like T Bay and the ocean just outside it. These places are where chinook should be staging awaiting the next rain. The poor reports might indicate the chinook just aren't there. Who knows?

Last edited by jacksalmon; 10-24-2020 at 10:22 AM.
jacksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:53 AM   #40
Rank Amateur
King Salmon
 
Rank Amateur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vernonia Or.
Posts: 15,945
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

I would suggest that the two different rain events we had provided ample river rises to spur the fish to move upstream. You can see on the graph the historical average for the stream and then these two events. Chinook appear to be very river height sensitive. This is for the Nehalem, but if your stream experienced the same rainfall it should be close to the same.

__________________
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass without consideration."- Izaak Walton

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:03 AM   #41
Tcoastal
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tillamook
Posts: 185
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksalmon View Post
Were you on the Siletz? If so, your experience might indicate why there is a one chinook per year limit on that river. Although, I have read where the expected return did not justify the extremely small limit. Otherwise, one might not expect much action in the rivers with no rain for so long. But, what is concerning is the multitude of poor reports from place like T Bay and the ocean just outside it. These places are where chinook should be staging awaiting the next rain. The poor reports might indicate the chinook just aren't there. Who knows?
That was what was surprising to me on the Trask with the last rain event we had, prior to the rain the bay and tidewater wasn't very loaded with fish, I managed to hook a few and land even fewer in the bay this year, for how many boats were out there I had assumed it was just gonna be another soso year, most days you'd see 5 or 6 landed for 40 boats. not ot that many fish, same old story as the last couple years. Then with the rain this huge influx of fish, from bright to dark, to big fish (that also appeared absent in the bay) came out of nowhere. It was hot fishing for a week or so everywhere up there. The question everyone had was where did they come from? Since they appear absent again with it being so slow out there again, what happens after the next rain?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Tcoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:58 AM   #42
DogZilla15
King Salmon
 
DogZilla15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 35,976
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

A lot of fish stage in the ocean and go straight from there to the rivers. The best upper bay fishing has been two days before a big rain. The closer it gets to that event, the less willing the fish are to bite. This is a shrimp and egg show either bobber or back bounce the outgoing.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:40 AM   #43
jacksalmon
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: portland
Posts: 3,998
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rank Amateur View Post
I would suggest that the two different rain events we had provided ample river rises to spur the fish to move upstream. You can see on the graph the historical average for the stream and then these two events. Chinook appear to be very river height sensitive. This is for the Nehalem, but if your stream experienced the same rainfall it should be close to the same.



I know nothing about fishing T Bay and its Ghost Hole and other spots like along the North Jetty because I just don't want to spend my time cleaning weeds from my line. That is why I always fish outside when I head to Garibaldi. Using this graph for the Nehalem as an indicator for all rivers north of the Nestucca, it would appear that there was plenty of river rise from late September to October 17 to bring in fish from the salt as noted by several posters in this thread. There is little doubt that most of the action in the Bay and outside is provided by fish staging for the rivers to rise. Perhaps, there just aren't enough fish staging yet to provide decent action in the salt after the October rises. The rivers are now below their historical flow levels, so there should be some staging going on. However, it could be that there is just enough water in the rivers currently that the fish are not staging and are just going straight through to the rivers. I can tell you that on October 19th, in the ocean, there were very few fishers and there were no, or few, (I can't see every fish brought to the net when I am out there, but I see most of the action) fish caught.

But, it also could be that there just aren't that many fish returning so the staging numbers are low. With no rain in sight for the rest of the salt season which closes after 10/31, we should find out as the ocean should allow people to get out some this week. There will not be any big pushes into the rivers this coming week, but whether they are out in the ocean/Bay remains to be seen. I hope there are a few around out there as I plan to get out as the ocean allows.

Last edited by jacksalmon; 10-24-2020 at 05:05 PM.
jacksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:27 AM   #44
Quick Fish
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 211
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

I fished the Wilson above tidewater after the September rise and also the October rise. The conditions were excellent both times as the river was falling, color was perfect, and the amount of leaves in the water was not a factor. I failed to touch a fish either time at a spot that has produced well for me under similar conditions for the last 45 years. On the September day I saw what was either a sea-run or a mini jack jump and a bright large jack roll. On the October day I did not see any fish roll or jump which seemed amazing as I anticipated that the river would be alive with fish. Where are they?
Quick Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:49 AM   #45
In2theoutdoors
Fry
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Dallas
Posts: 15
Default

Sitting on the lower Trask, nothing much to write home about. I had a bite on bobber and eggs, and another bite on a twitching jig. Pretty dead out here otherwise.
In2theoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:02 PM   #46
Steel'n Time
Steelhead
 
Steel'n Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland
Posts: 166
Default

Fished the Wilson Oct 15 which was day two after the rain event. Hooked 7 on plugs for the day Mills to Solly.

Took the sled to Memaloos Thursday 10/23 and fished the afternoon high with no action. Fished Memaloos again 10/24 primarily at or near the picket fence and saw one chinook landed for the entire morning tide.

Tight lines.
Steel'n Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:28 AM   #47
R Bob
Chromer
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Neotsu
Posts: 536
Default Re: North Coast Tidewater/In-River Reports

We fished 10/23-24 in the upper tidewater of the Wilson and on Friday the spot we were at was plugged with bright fish. They were gone yesterday after a slight bump from the rain Friday afternoon/evening (We got .22 inches at our place outside Lincoln City).
R Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:17 PM.

Terms of Service
 
Page generated in 0.46246 seconds with 60 queries