Lobster style boat in NW watets - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 10-14-2020, 09:43 PM   #1
crabbydan
Chromer

Default Lobster style boat in NW watets

So after our last crabbing trip, I realized my 19 foot harbercraft just doesn't have enough room on the aft deck. I have a sudden fascination with lobster style boats. The newhaven 24 especially has me day dreaming. That's a big dance floor for pulling pots and fishing! Paired with a Yamaha 4 stroke i feel it would be perfect.

Now what I wonder is, would that style hull be good for the CR and our ocean? Made for the Atlantic, so I would assume it would be fine?? Thoughts on this would be great.

crabbydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2020, 09:46 PM   #2
crabbydan
Chromer

Sorry, that's the north haven 24, not new haven. Also I meant NW waters, not watets. Fat thumbs.....
Old 10-15-2020, 04:37 AM   #3
DoryDrifter
Tuna!

Default Re: Lobster style boat in NW watets

I’ve always loved the lines of the NE lobster boats.
DoryDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2020, 06:04 AM   #4
Soulakala
King Salmon

Too low of gunnel height for me in that eastern design. Rocking and rolling off the CR I like the security of being able to lean into something hard rather than air.
Soulakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:27 AM   #5
snlphillips
Chromer

They'll work just fine IMO. The lower gunnel and shallower V is something to be aware of. Just adjust your expectations and plans accordingly. Going from a 19 foot harbercraft to a north haven 24, you'll gain a sizable safety factor and have a LOT more deck space.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:05 AM   #6
Tinman

My question would be how fast are they? My unresearched impression is they are semi-displacement hulls that run at 16 to 18 knots. My concern is do they have enough speed for bar crossings. Specifically can they get on the back of a wave and stay there? Most of our normal boats have plenty of power to do that at 25 knots+ even with the "going uphill" effect.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:45 AM   #7
crabbydan
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
My question would be how fast are they? My unresearched impression is they are semi-displacement hulls that run at 16 to 18 knots. My concern is do they have enough speed for bar crossings. Specifically can they get on the back of a wave and stay there? Most of our normal boats have plenty of power to do that at 25 knots+ even with the "going uphill" effect.

Tinman the designer named Devlin says easy cruise at 20-25 knots. At least for the north haven.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	115_North-Haven-24ft_002_v2_1602787499444.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	755913   Click image for larger version

Name:	115_north-haven-24ft_003_v1_1800_1602787509539.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	755915  
Old 10-15-2020, 01:02 PM   #8
Han Solo
King Salmon

Steigercraft Chesapeake 25'. Ridiculous deckspace with an outboard.

Customizing an 28' EdWing pilothouse for less.

Last edited by Han Solo; 10-21-2020 at 07:33 AM.
Han Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:43 PM   #9
crabbydan
Chromer

Oh wow, yeah I like the Stieger as well.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:27 PM   #10
montucky
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbydan View Post
So after our last crabbing trip, I realized my 19 foot harbercraft just doesn't have enough room on the aft deck. I have a sudden fascination with lobster style boats. The newhaven 24 especially has me day dreaming. That's a big dance floor for pulling pots and fishing! Paired with a Yamaha 4 stroke i feel it would be perfect.

Now what I wonder is, would that style hull be good for the CR and our ocean? Made for the Atlantic, so I would assume it would be fine?? Thoughts on this would be great.
I grew up around these boats...they were my first impression of what a boat is! part of my family operated lobster boats out of southern Maine. For the most part the traditional lobster boat there had flat bottomed dory origins but lobstermen also fished under sail in Friendship sloops. All of this DNA eventually evolved into a sort of semi-displacement "Deadrise" style with that classic sheerline and relatively flat bottom aft. They were meant to operate in the inshore environment of the Maine/NE coast, a very complex, meandering series of bays, inlets, and islands. (offshore lobster boats are a thing there also, but a different boat). The inshore seas just dont have the reach to build big swells...it can be rough but in a very different way. To give you an idea - there are a myriad of big river estuaries in Maine, but growing up I never once heard the term "bar" (except where you went to drink or much trepidations about entering or exiting rivers. Most of the time, there just isn't the big swells of the Pacific. The bad conditions there are often nasty chop and tighter spaced waves.

As Tinman said lobster boats are often semi-displacement and/or in their element cruising with a heavy load, knifing through chop at a modest speed. ...what i see as a problem for bar conditions, or just big Pacific swells in general, is the design of the bowstem and forefoot. This boat with finer entry and more deadrise would want to bury into a wave on the bar. THat may be ok going into a wave, but if the stern got picked up by a following wave, it would bury that deadrise surface area into the trough of the wave and the boat could get into a bad way pretty easily.

I dont know what this Devlin has for rocker - but some of the older/traditional lobster boat designs had a fair amount of rocker...this is also why they appear to have such a proud bow - because the rocker picks the bow up more. This would help mitigate the issue mentioned above and would make the boat much more maneuverable/agile in a bar crossing and safer in big swells - but the Devlin may be a straight bottom.

I would look at the forefoot/bow design of say a Bartender and compare it to this style of a boat and you maybe get a better idea of what I mean.

The Devlin "pocket lobster boat" may be a more versatile than I am giving it credit for, but still, that would be my take on it for whatever its worth.

Last edited by montucky; 10-17-2020 at 12:04 PM.
montucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:02 PM   #11
Openwide
Coho

I got a 31’ Steiger 5 years ago and have really enjoyed it. They are modeled after the East Coast Lobster boats - made in Long Island NY. Low gunnel height is great for hauling tuna over the side. Tons of deck space and heavy. With twin 300’s it will get up and go just fine. I haven’t owned many offshore boats so I don’t have much comparison but I think it rides nice and handles the CR bar great. It gets pretty good reviews from the Salty Dogs who fish with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C95E041A-3EFC-4155-AFBA-FCCD6CA78CD9.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	755967  
Openwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:00 PM   #12
8knots
Tuna!

Love the lines of the 31' Steiger. It looks like a real boat!
Old 10-17-2020, 07:08 PM   #13
BTA
Ifish Nate

Steigers are solid boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:17 PM   #14
crabbydan
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montucky View Post
Quote:

I grew up around these boats...they were my first impression of what a boat is! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/smile1.gif[/IMG] part of my family operated lobster boats out of southern Maine. For the most part the traditional lobster boat there had flat bottomed dory origins but lobstermen also fished under sail in Friendship sloops. All of this DNA eventually evolved into a sort of semi-displacement "Deadrise" style with that classic sheerline and relatively flat bottom aft. They were meant to operate in the inshore environment of the Maine/NE coast, a very complex, meandering series of bays, inlets, and islands. (offshore lobster boats are a thing there also, but a different boat). The inshore seas just dont have the reach to build big swells...it can be rough but in a very different way. To give you an idea - there are a myriad of big river estuaries in Maine, but growing up I never once heard the term "bar" (except where you went to drink[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/smile1.gif[/IMG] or much trepidations about entering or exiting rivers. Most of the time, there just isn't the big swells of the Pacific. The bad conditions there are often nasty chop and tighter spaced waves.

As Tinman said lobster boats are often semi-displacement and/or in their element cruising with a heavy load, knifing through chop at a modest speed. ...what i see as a problem for bar conditions, or just big Pacific swells in general, is the design of the bowstem and forefoot. This boat with finer entry and more deadrise would want to bury into a wave on the bar. THat may be ok going into a wave, but if the stern got picked up by a following wave, it would bury that deadrise surface area into the trough of the wave and the boat could get into a bad way pretty easily.

I dont know what this Devlin has for rocker - but some of the older/traditional lobster boat designs had a fair amount of rocker...this is also why they appear to have such a proud bow - because the rocker picks the bow up more. This would help mitigate the issue mentioned above and would make the boat much more maneuverable/agile in a bar crossing and safer in big swells - but the Devlin may be a straight bottom.

I would look at the forefoot/bow design of say a Bartender and compare it to this style of a boat and you maybe get a better idea of what I mean.

The Devlin "pocket lobster boat" may be a more versatile than I am giving it credit for, but still, that would be my take on it for whatever its worth.

I see what you are getting at, thank you for the insight. These guys are making me daydream about steigercrafts now haha. I sure like the looks of that Devlin though. Apparently they do well in the sound, but I imagine a rough day in the sound is nothing like a rough bar crossing, which I have never done yet. I have been bay bound, but I want to go to newport on a good day and get outside a little.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:18 PM   #15
crabbydan
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Openwide View Post
I got a 31’️ Steiger 5 years ago and have really enjoyed it. They are modeled after the East Coast Lobster boats - made in Long Island NY. Low gunnel height is great for hauling tuna over the side. Tons of deck space and heavy. With twin 300’️s it will get up and go just fine. I haven’️t owned many offshore boats so I don’️t have much comparison but I think it rides nice and handles the CR bar great. It gets pretty good reviews from the Salty Dogs who fish with me.

Thats a sweet vessel right there!!
Old 10-17-2020, 07:56 PM   #16
montucky
Steelhead

Quote:
I see what you are getting at, thank you for the insight. These guys are making me daydream about steigercrafts now haha. I sure like the looks of that Devlin though. Apparently they do well in the sound, but I imagine a rough day in the sound is nothing like a rough bar crossing, which I have never done yet. I have been bay bound, but I want to go to newport on a good day and get outside a little.
Looking at the Steigercraft - looks like they are best of both worlds - a modern sportfishing hull with a lobster boat sheerline, cabin and layout. The part of the hull in the water doesnt resemble the typical lobster boat design....
montucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:50 AM   #17
Sneaker
Tuna!

Wow, what a pretty boat!
Old 10-19-2020, 07:52 AM   #18
bllelk
Ifish Nate

Location: In a tent down by the river in Elkton, most of the time

When I buy something expensive, I also think about how hard it will be to get rid of it, no matter how much I like it. That's why I own an Arima.
My Son made a heck of a deal a some years ago on a Seasport, a N.W. boat. He bought it in New England. He now wishes to sell it and get a larger boat. He is now in N.C. No lookers, no takers, despite all the upgrades and excellent condition. Just sayin
Old 10-20-2020, 07:03 PM   #19
crabbydan
Chromer

I hear your point there on resale. Honestly I am now off of the north haven, and dreaming about the steigercraft. Been watching YouTube vids and I am in love.....
Old 10-20-2020, 07:56 PM   #20
Kimbrey
Steelhead

Just a FYI...Devlin's shop is in Olympia....might be an easy guy to contact. He did the finish work on my brother-in-laws stitch and glue blow boat. Does good stuff.

I also really like the lines of the Downeast style of boats. I think I've read they aren't the best in a following sea which might not be too good for our bar crossings. That was something I read a long time ago so it's a bit hazy.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:31 AM   #21
Han Solo
King Salmon

There is a boat shop in Chinook Wa. I think he might be a Steiger dealer. We often see one of those boats parked there when we are going to long beach for razorclams. I love the lines of that boat and I have to stop and look when I spot one. The back deck has a low gunnel. First thing I would do is install a railing. The main feature of that boat that caught my attention is is the size of the the working deck. The second thing was the fishbox under the house. 200 gallons. The cabin and comfort features are minimal like a Parker but the fit and finish is top notch.

I rode in a 25 DV Chesapeake when I was looking at buying one. I liked it and the way it handled on the CR and out to the #2 Salmon fishing. We did not get in a following sea so I don't know how that goes. Decided I could not afford the new price. Even used they are pretty spendy. This boat is common on the east coast.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:29 AM   #22
Fishing Dear
Tuna!

I've always liked the East coast boats but besides the low rails the thing that bothers me is the boats with removable, or no transom at all, does not look choice for our waters
Old 10-24-2020, 07:21 AM   #23
Reel Creel
Tuna!

I think they look great .. maybe a hand rail but after that step up and get one.. ive seen them at boat shows, i like hoe simple they are