Do you think OnX and the like have helped lead to overcrowding in some areas? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 10-03-2020, 08:54 AM   #1
B.J. Lilly Hunter
Steelhead

Default Do you think OnX and the like have helped lead to overcrowding in some areas?

It seems to me OnX has made it far to easy for people to find good hunting spots nowadays. Let's face it, if you know what elk like it is not very hard to scan almost any unit and find likely areas to hunt toggling from topo to satellite and they even have ton of springs marked. This has increased the amount of hunters in areas I like to hunt it seems to me.

I was lucky and had a dad that knew a lot about maps. We would buy the 7.5 minute usa topo maps of areas we planned to hunt and he taught me how to be proficient at reading them at an early age. We then got the national geographic map program when it first came out. This gave me the opportunity to be able to scan the entire state now and basically after some trial and error I became very good at finding likely elk areas. Next google earth came out and you were now able to look at the aerial view to make sure what it looked like and then shortly after you where able to do addons that let you download the topo maps to toggle also.

My point being is it took a little work and investment in the early days and has progressively gotten easier. Don't get me wrong, I have had OnX since right after it came out and I think it's great but to many people have realized the formula now and all of the types of areas I look for now appear over run with people. I am sure I have invaded someone else's honey hole because I have been on an endless search for that canyon that I can bugle into and get a real elk to respond every time on public land in Oregon. Haven't found it yet, but I am gonna keep searching.

Oh well, I guess I am gonna have to try and see how the elk adjust their patterns over the next few years and make adjustments to my system. Sounds like a good reason to spend time in the woods.

Happy hunting

B.J. Lilly Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2020, 09:05 AM   #2
Flatfish
King Salmon

Default Re: Do you think OnX and the like have helped lead to overcrowding in some areas?

Seen it waterfowl hunting.

They set decoys 20-30' from private property line, screw up a hunt for the guy on private (Who did all the leg work and spent the dollars necessary to make a great pond in the first place), and it ends up being a dumpster fire. Nobody wins.

Just because you are legal does not mean it's a good idea.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
loper
King Salmon

Default Re: Do you think OnX and the like have helped lead to overcrowding in some areas?

Perhaps those are areas they like to hunt too.

Education and participating in our hunting heritage is a good thing.

And digital knowledge of land ownership can help avoid issues; I know a hunter who retrieved an elk shot on public ground that died on private; the private had changed ownership and the new landowner didn’t allow the same type of access that the previous landowner had allowed because the land was leased; because contact wasn’t made first, the elk was seized and the hunter cited for trespass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
joe_camo
King Salmon

Although I have access to several areas of private land I almost exclusively hunt public land - often times the public land is better. Over the last few years I have actually seen a decrease in the pressure on the public land areas I hunt. In my case OnX may have put more pressure on other public areas resulting in a decrease in pressure on other areas.
joe_camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:03 AM   #5
switchback00
Tuna!

A lot more tree stands on springs over East that are out of the way and very few people ever knew about before.

Old 10-03-2020, 01:44 PM   #6
Cascade12
Cutthroat

Onx and Google Earth attracts everyone to meadows and springs. Seeing more folks venture further from trails but majority of the time they go where they want the elk to be, not where the elk are. Definitely alot of downsides to technology advances.
Cascade12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:14 PM   #7
jimh
King Salmon

On the plus side, it is easier you find a new spot, too. And ... if you can figure out where all of the hunters will be, you can hunt based on the hunters instead of the game.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:24 PM   #8
the-next-one
Steelhead

Yes OnX, their competition, social media and sites like this have combined to seriously screw up a lot of good hunting. Add in the YouTube sensations who profit by touting these companies and practicality begging people to come west and do what they do, and things are changing fast. Not to mention what’s happening in the preference point games 🤦🏻*♂️.
the-next-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:52 PM   #9
winterkill
Sturgeon

Most overcrowding today is due to diminishing access IMO. OnX may just be helping people identify areas with open access.
winterkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:13 PM   #10
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterkill View Post
Most overcrowding today is due to diminishing access IMO. OnX may just be helping people identify areas with open access.

Exactly, and this year opening day was quite crowded when people discovered their private timber lands gated due to fire danger.

Old 10-03-2020, 11:13 PM   #11
Bladdershy
Tuna!

Hunting spots, fishing holes, to mountain retreats you'd think nobody would find. It doesn't help when they highlight the blm boundrys and usf boundrys in green or blue. Now if one was really trying to scout out an area, satellite views shouldn't be needed. A topo map shows every bench, shelf, elevation needed to find that elusive big game.
Bladdershy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:33 AM   #12
LongBeard2010
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterkill View Post
Very good point. It always feels like access is reducing. It use to be you could walk down any logging rd and hunt, hike, berry pick, etc. Now you have to figure out if the the spot you want to go allows access.
LongBeard2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:07 AM   #13
444Marlin
Tuna!

E-scouting is definitely easier with different map programs, but the bottom line is you still need to get boots on the ground to see what is going on. Roads and trails can be washed out or choked out with windfall. Some of those benches and ridges look easier to walk on a map than they are in reality. 300 yards of vine maple, salmonberry thicket and devils club is enough to make me reconsider my route...and no way to sneak in on em' if they were in there.
444Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:54 AM   #14
ol'wyatt
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-next-one View Post
Yes OnX, their competition, social media and sites like this have combined to seriously screw up a lot of good hunting. Add in the YouTube sensations who profit by touting these companies and practicality begging people to come west and do what they do, and things are changing fast. Not to mention what’️s happening in the preference point games 🤦🏻*â™& #xfe0f;‚️.
This guy gets it
ol'wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:51 AM   #15
oregonmuley
Ifish Nate

Not to take this thread off topic but kind of new to using the OnX and it sure it handy. But had a run-in with a nasty landowner over the weekend that said OnX was wrong and insisted he was right in regards to a BLM boundary. If one was to believe what he said OnX was off by more than 1/3 mile on one side and about a 1/2 on another.

Rather hunt mule deer than do just about anything else......

"Team 7MM-08"
oregonmuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:24 AM   #16
onstep
Tuna!

Quote:
Yes OnX, their competition, social media and sites like this have combined to seriously screw up a lot of good hunting. Add in the YouTube sensations who profit by touting these companies and practicality begging people to come west and do what they do, and things are changing fast. Not to mention what’s happening in the preference point games 🤦🏻*♂️.

This is 100% spot on.
onstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:32 AM   #17
desperatehills
Steelhead

But had a run-in with a nasty landowner over the weekend that said OnX was wrong and insisted he was right in regards to a BLM boundary. If one was to believe what he said OnX was off by more than 1/3 mile on one side and about a 1/2 on another.[/QUOTE]

Had the same thing happen in Wyoming. Onx agreed with a fence but the land owner insisted she owned several hundred yards past the fence line. I asked a game warden if he would issue a citation on the owners word or would he use onx. He said he would never write that ticket. Not because he felt onx was right or the land owner was wrong. He did not want to bring that type of case before a judge. He only wanted to write tickets where a law has clearly been broken.

As for Onx and its effects on hunting, it certainly has change the game. I guess it depends if it has ruined your area weather onx is good or bad. I can say for sure that water not marked on onx is better hunting than water that is on the map.

On our wyoming antelope hunt we used onx to find small pockets of public land around the private. There were about seven good areas for us to hunt in our unit. Everyday we saw the same non-residents hunting those same areas. They were certainly using the app as well.
desperatehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:38 AM   #18
TheFishingWookie
Cutthroat

Sure, maybe, I definitely have noticed more traffic in the past couple years to areas OnX has identified as a trail/road that you can't see using google maps or accidentally stumbling on it driving around. So that can be kind of frustrating when you think you've found something few if any people know about. But OnX is really helpful for me personally figuring out private property. In my area there's a few spots that are Weyerhaeuser property surrounded by state forest land, Stimson, L&C and a lot of times it's not clearly marked physically out there, so it's really nice to know that using OnX so I avoid any run in's with their "security".

Just my
TheFishingWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:39 AM   #19
DogZilla15
King Salmon

OregonMuley: Dang! This is the single reason I'd consider OnX, boundaries. It'd be interesting to hear what the local BLM office had to say. That's a huge discrepancy. Kinda sounds like the landowner has run into this before since it appears he was monitoring your activities.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:53 AM   #20
Reel fortunate
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by onstep View Post
Quote:
Yes OnX, their competition, social media and sites like this have combined to seriously screw up a lot of good hunting. Add in the YouTube sensations who profit by touting these companies and practicality begging people to come west and do what they do, and things are changing fast. Not to mention what’️s happening in the preference point games 🤦🏻*â™& #xfe0f;‚️.

This is 100% spot on.
Yep on all accounts....
Old 10-06-2020, 09:07 AM   #21
oregonmuley
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
OregonMuley: Dang! This is the single reason I'd consider OnX, boundaries. It'd be interesting to hear what the local BLM office had to say. That's a huge discrepancy. Kinda sounds like the landowner has run into this before since it appears he was monitoring your activities.

I have the BLM map that matches the OnX boundary so that checks out. This was in Gilliam county so may call the sheriff and ask how they would settle this. I'm not and have never been a trespasser but don't like landowners being jerks either, this guy has more than 4k of his own land and is trying to control maybe another 40-50 acres, granted its a choice piece of a canyon but anyway takes the fun out of hunting

Rather hunt mule deer than do just about anything else......

"Team 7MM-08"
oregonmuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:22 AM   #22
DogZilla15
King Salmon

"fun out of hunting." No kidding.... If you and BLM are in the right, this guy could/should be arrested for interfering with your hunt, it's illegal ya know. If this is an area you frequent, this is worth pursuing to the end.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:08 AM   #23
QSX15
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonmuley View Post
I have the BLM map that matches the OnX boundary so that checks out. This was in Gilliam county so may call the sheriff and ask how they would settle this. I'm not and have never been a trespasser but don't like landowners being jerks either, this guy has more than 4k of his own land and is trying to control maybe another 40-50 acres, granted its a choice piece of a canyon but anyway takes the fun out of hunting

I agree, landowners dont need to be jerks.
If your confident, tell him to either put his fence up or to call the Sheriff, but until then Im going hunting.

"O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken"
QSX15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:28 AM   #24
DogZilla15
King Salmon

+1...
Old 10-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #25
Reel fortunate
Ifish Nate

I know how the law reads but landowners should be responsible for posting access points. And should be legally liable for posting what isn't there's....
And I am a land owner ..
Old 10-06-2020, 03:36 PM   #26
Headhunter
King Salmon

I am a fan of OnX. Really like it for all the reasons listed...but

I had this same experience duck hunting a few years ago. Had been hunting a spot for over 10 years when one day a couple of years ago a guy actually drove his boat right through my spread saying this is my land. In fact one of the first things he said is are you using OnX? Yeah I was steaming mad about the decoy stunt. We had a conversation about it that never got heated or anything like that but he was firm phone in hand. I called him out on calling LOE. He knows about OnX and says he gets this from guys using OnX every year. We then we pulled out OnX and looked at boundary lines and it did not show anyone as a property owner. He had a very large property right across and next to the the slough. Another large landowner had property all around there too. It looks like a jumble of properties in odd shapes and sizes, not blocks that are easy to see property lines. We always felt it was public, all our access points were navigable and were careful to only use what we thought were public gaps in land ownership via Onx.

My buddy and I are thinking this is total BS. He let is hunt the rest of the day and off he went to his house.

So I called the county sheriff who knew this land owner and this happens a few times a year every year. He said he has gotten mixed messages about who actually owned the property, and I might want to be careful as he is getting old and drinks a lot. Sheriff was no help other than tell me I might get shot.

I called OSP wildlife for the area and he also knew the land owner. Again he gets calls, he tries to mediate because ownership is murky. Also said you need to be careful with OnX as its not always accurate, it can be off a little or quite a bit.

I called the local ODFW office to inquire. They knew the fella too, knows there are disputes but differed to LOE.

I then called the county Commissioner who put me in touch with the county Tax Assessor who was not much help other than tell me who the county Surveyor is with a number.

This is where it gets interesting. The surveyor knew the guy and also told me that you can't rely on OnX to give accurate boundaries. Property lines change often from dividing, sale, eminent domain, land swaps and such. The area in question was original platted in the 1800's with the idea of trying to entice people to settle the area and generate commerce from fish, clams, oysters, and market hunting game & fowl. The land boundaries extend significantly past the low tide mark. Like 500+ yards past low tide mark.

The Surveyor then sent me a copy of the original plat map for the area. It's a pretty cool document to see the pioneer names and other interesting tidbits of the area.

To complicate things more, this large land owner gifted to the county 200 acres to develop a new nature park TBD down the road. For his generosity, he received a land swap right in the area. OnX did not reflect that. The surveyor then told me the only way to settle this dispute is to force it in court. No way ducks are worth taking on a multi millionaire in court. The only winner in that would be the attorneys.

I thought I was screwed out of a great place I have hunted for 10+ years whenever I wanted, how I wanted and now I had to ask. The best river levels, tides and weather went to other hunters. I took the high road knowing you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. I played by the new rules the rest of the season so I could hunt one of my all time favorite places. Calling to see if I could hunt was such a bummer after all this time without having to place a call or not get the spot I wanted due to other hunters who have access.

With all his land, he has multiple spots that can be hunted at the same time. He has three other dudes who have permission as long as we all play well in the sandbox. Be mindful of over hunting spots by resting it on scheduling/rotation. Police your shells, pick up your garbage and any other garbage you see. Help make & repair a few large timber/stick blinds each year. Don't skybust as he can see all the places he lets folks hunt from his deck with optics. Let's hope the optics dont have crosshairs. And finally he does not want to hear drama from the hunters. Work it out yourselves or we all get denied access. The other fellas were bummed to have a new guy but are cool about now.

Then next off season I went and met him, spent three hours chatting and listing to his 75 years of life & duck wisdom while drinking damm good whiskey. He not only gave me a few cocktails but also access to his property, and gave me access to his private boat launch up river a bit. I now try to bring him cooked/cleaned crab & some fish.

Moral of the story is OnX is not the end all, its a starting place. And nothing is better to get access than taking the time to appreciate the land owner, not just the land. and apparently Maker's Mark Private Selection helps too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSX15 View Post
I agree, landowners dont need to be jerks.
If your confident, tell him to either put his fence up or to call the Sheriff, but until then Im going hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post

Last edited by Headhunter; 10-06-2020 at 03:58 PM.
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:31 PM   #27
jimh
King Salmon

It sounds like OnX has some flaws. Go figure software with issues.

Hunters don’t have to be jerks either. Funny that you think property owners have to put up a fence to keep you out. Reality is you are responsible for knowing where you are as well as have written permission to hunt in many jurisdictions, and in many jurisdictions if you are asked to leave and don’t ... that’s trespassing. Enjoy your trip to court.

Seems like Headhunter worked his case out, maybe you can work yours out if you try something other than whining.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:54 PM   #28
crawdad
Chromer

I guess I feel like the cat is so far out of the bag at this point it’s hard to blame onX. The internet just led to a flood of easy to access information. Guys blabbing about spots online and hyping areas to me is a bigger concern. But there is no doubt onX changes the dynamic. But it doesn’t really give you much info that’s not readily available elsewhere online. It just puts it in your pocket and helps keep you legal. I don’t see it being a game changer in terms of blowing up areas. That happened a long time ago with ms Terra-server, google maps/earth and to be completely honest ifish, not to mention FB, youtube etc.

I was born in the early 70s. Growing up if one of my elders heard me blabbing about one of our fishing/hunting spots my butt would be in big trouble. Now guys can’t kill a damn squirrel without bragging about it online. To me this is a far bigger problem than onX. We always had BLM maps. But we knew how to keep our mouths shut. That’s the big difference
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:16 PM   #29
Hydrophilic
Ifish Nate

Social media / internet as others have stated. OnX maybe a little.

To me, one thing hasn't changed to my benefit. There are still canyons and rivers with no vehicle or atv access and people are still lazy, or getting lazier. Until personal hovercrafts come along...
Old 10-06-2020, 10:27 PM   #30
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrophilic View Post
Social media / internet as others have stated. OnX maybe a little.

To me, one thing hasn't changed to my benefit. There are still canyons and rivers with no vehicle or atv access and people are still lazy, or getting lazier. Until personal hovercrafts come along...

Jet packs

Old 10-06-2020, 10:55 PM   #31
Hydrophilic
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by loper View Post
Jet packs

Old 10-07-2020, 01:26 PM   #32
kfallscody
Coho

I guess I will just say I am kind of on the other side. As a kid my father and I did a lot of hunting and he always had a spot for everything. Go here for deer, go to these places for ducks, geese, pheasant, go to another spot for trout, etc. Sadly, stuff happened and all that came to a halt when I was 14. I was lucky enough to kill a cow elk the last day my father and I hunted together before everything went sideways... but I digress.

Fast forward to being in my mid/late 30's(this was 2016) and I decide to pick up hunting again, this time with a bow. I had/have a good grasp on land navigation but spending 23 years out of the hunting game leaves you with no freaking clue where to even begin other than "in the woods." The property owners that my Dad knew previously have either moved away or died which left me having to do it the hard way. I don't have any spots that I've hunted for decades that are now being messed up by newcomers... as I am the newcomer! Yes I spent more hours than I care to count on google maps but it is pretty useless for being able to tell what is public and what is private. I also used to use the topo maps at wilderness.net as they had information that google maps didn't show. This is where I like onx because it hopefully gives me fairly accurate borders between public and private.

So yes, I am probably the guy you all hate as I'm in the woods trying to find spots to hunt. Without onx though, I'd be limiting myself to known/posted national forest/wilderness while staying away from borders or risking unknowingly trespassing. Hoping there is room out there for a guy who is just trying to find success with the tools available.
kfallscody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:31 PM   #33
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfallscody View Post
So yes, I am probably the guy you all hate as I'm in the woods trying to find spots to hunt.
No hate coming from here

Enjoy engaging in our hunting heritage

Old 10-07-2020, 02:32 PM   #34
Etonfish
Ifish Nate

OnX has probably done more to spread us out than to concentrate us. It's now easier to find spots, so those that only hunted the obvious public land are now hunting other places.

However, it someone uses OnX to find the spot you've had to yourself for years, then yes it can look like overcrowding.
Etonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 04:14 PM   #35
B.J. Lilly Hunter
Steelhead

I don't hate anyone for finding hunting spots I like, especially areas I am hunting because I know people are putting in work to be there. I am scouting and putting up cameras almost all year in new areas I haven't been before, because as I mentioned earlier I am constantly in search of that elusive canyon that real elk always answer me on public land in Oregon. The original point I was trying to make is that it seems like there are more people hunting the big roadless areas now than I have witnessed in the past and I feel Onx and the like have made it too easy to find these areas. Not mad at anyone and they are not "My spots" as I am sure the new areas I like to investigate each year people consider their spots.
B.J. Lilly Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:46 PM   #36
Headhunter
King Salmon

Not sure if you fellas have seen this new feature yet? The new Bata of OnX 3D is pretty freaking cool. Just tried it, like it.

Last edited by Headhunter; 10-07-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:40 PM   #37
Doozy
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etonfish View Post
OnX has probably done more to spread us out than to concentrate us. It's now easier to find spots, so those that only hunted the obvious public land are now hunting other places.

However, it someone uses OnX to find the spot you've had to yourself for years, then yes it can look like overcrowding.

Agree with this and kfallscody. If someone has invested the time and money into onX to identify quality hunting areas they are the ones we want in our sport. Same people are Identifying property lines to the best of their ability instead of playing dumb and asking for forgiveness. Of course that means a migration of hunters that could overlap with an area you’ve hunted your entire life, but that’s just how it goes from fishing to hunting to that quiet family town you grew up in that is now over run by the nearby metropolitan or “Californians”.

90% of hunters don’t travel far from roads so it hasn’t effected my hunting much. When I run into hunters for WA archery they’ve “hunted here all my life”. We are usually 5-13 miles from the nearest trailhead. In OR, we are 2-5 miles from the trailheads on nasty steep crap and people come and go every year traveling overgrown roads sweaty and complaining as they walk right by the elk. By Monday, it’s been the same camps for 5 years and counting.

Cameron Hanes, go hunt, BaseMap, onx, YouTube, FB, Ifish... all the same: tools that change the game and hunters need to adjust accordingly because like it or not, it’s all here to stay. The more people in the sport the longer we’ll be able to hunt.
Doozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:13 AM   #38
kodiakfisher
Chromer

Something doesn't compute for me....

We are worried about the next generation of hunters and youth hunters dwindling but it seems like constant complaints about ATV's/UTV's and hunters everywhere. How can it be both.

I have an area where I'm 3/4 mile in behind a locked gate that requires written permission that grants private access so about another 1/2 mile in on private land then 1/4 mile drop into clearing. Well last year I find ribbons going diagonally through this clearing. I thought holy chit whoever came in here earned it. As there is a spot to sort of step diagonally across the property corner to get into this area from different private property. I had my daughter with me and I just said wow very impressive these guys earned it. Now I do have a trail camera up in a tree and this year so far no humans have been back down there....I suspect the pack out last year was painful.

We complain about the road hunters and ATV's, I love them because the push animals to more predictable places. We complain about to many hunters instead of smiling and appreciating people sharing our passions however they choose to hunt. Road/ATV, over bait, tree stands etc. We get frustrated when someone else is in "our area" instead of saying hello and showing respect and appreciation that someone else put in the effort and got off the road.

I suspect 100 years ago hunters didn't care for those that used horses to hunt. Hunting is always changing and no matter what walk of life there are always going to be people doing stupid things.

Kodiakfisher
Old 10-17-2020, 06:04 PM   #39
Beamerfish
Ifish Nate

Default Do you think OnX and the like have helped lead to overcrowding in some areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatehills View Post
But had a run-in with a nasty landowner over the weekend that said OnX was wrong and insisted he was right in regards to a BLM boundary. If one was to believe what he said OnX was off by more than 1/3 mile on one side and about a 1/2 on another.
Had the same thing happen in Wyoming. Onx agreed with a fence but the land owner insisted she owned several hundred yards past the fence line. I asked a game warden if he would issue a citation on the owners word or would he use onx. He said he would never write that ticket. Not because he felt onx was right or the land owner was wrong. He did not want to bring that type of case before a judge. He only wanted to write tickets where a law has clearly been broken.

As for Onx and its effects on hunting, it certainly has change the game. I guess it depends if it has ruined your area weather onx is good or bad. I can say for sure that water not marked on onx is better hunting than water that is on the map.

On our wyoming antelope hunt we used onx to find small pockets of public land around the private. There were about seven good areas for us to hunt in our unit. Everyday we saw the same non-residents hunting those same areas. They were certainly using the app as well.[/QUOTE]

OnX has definitely been a boon to knowing for sure while hunting public antelope and deer where we go in Wyoming but have also seen it lead to trouble on the ranch we hunt.

This year we came across 4 Oregon guys several miles, a couple of ranches and one gate back looking to hunt a landlocked state parcel. If you have to cross private to get to public, it is trespass. (When advised they had to trespass majorly to get back there, the response was “are we?”)

A few years back, a guide crossed a ridge top fence line to shoot a deer on a state parcel that straddled the fence. Technically legal but not how things are done there. They fence partly for convenience and often some of the neighbors land is on your side and some of yours is on theirs. However, the fence is the fence and crossing is not ok.

There is a good bit of landlocked blm (leased by the ranches) and neighbors typically don’t allow access across their ranches to get to it. Really good way to p.o. your neighbors and they have to live and work together so it’s just not done.

Last thing is a chronic problem with trespass, poaching and damage from hunters. They have to be constantly on guard and will often run out to check on you if you stop on the county road for very long looking at game in a field. This year somebody shot a $4000 bull during the season at a ranch down the road.

Not looking for arguments on the right and wrong of things, just interesting how things work there.

Beamerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:27 PM   #40
Bladdershy
Tuna!

I know personally of a guy who used to horse pack 18 miles into a spring on the east side every year for the past 30 years up until 2017.. you all think he was pi$$ed when he seen 3 sets of horses and riders the year after that stupid app came out? I've never seen a more angry face than the one I seen pull in for the last time elk hunting. He was an elk killing machine and what's sad is you probably won't catch him out in the woods again because of that instance.. whats funny is Google earth's been around for a while now.. it just took some stupid hinting app to make people pay more attention?

Last edited by Bladdershy; 10-17-2020 at 06:31 PM.
Bladdershy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:49 PM   #41
Cascade12
Cutthroat

Rr

Last edited by Cascade12; 10-17-2020 at 07:57 PM.
Cascade12 is offline   Reply With Quote