Open bow boats on the ocean - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 08-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #1
JerryS
Coho

Default Open bow boats on the ocean

I have a nephew who is contemplating the purchase of his first boat. He lives inland, but has plans to move to the coast and undoubtedly word work into salmon, rockfish and halibut fishing over time. He has his heart set on one of the custom aluminum boats with an open bow. I have stressed to him that an open bow is not safe on the ocean and that he should rethink his choice for his "dream" boat. What do you think? Your input is much appreciated.

JerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2020, 07:10 PM   #2
geterdone
Tuna!

Default Re: Open bow boats on the ocean

It is not ideal as it can fill with water if the bow sticks a swell. Most aluminum boats in the ocean have an open bow though. Big thing is to make sure the drain holes are oversized to help drain water as quick as possible. Also if it is a custom boat, have it built as shallow as possible so it holds less water.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2020, 07:43 PM   #3
Salmonid
Steelhead

If he is set on an open bow boat, he could always make a hard cover out of plywood or aluminum to fit the opening. I’ve seen some nice covers people use just for running in the salt
Salmonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2020, 07:54 PM   #4
DylanG
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryS View Post
I have a nephew who is contemplating the purchase of his first boat. He lives inland, but has plans to move to the coast and undoubtedly word work into salmon, rockfish and halibut fishing over time. He has his heart set on one of the custom aluminum boats with an open bow. I have stressed to him that an open bow is not safe on the ocean and that he should rethink his choice for his "dream" boat. What do you think? Your input is much appreciated.
Are you referring to an open bow sled?

Or windshield boat with an open bow area?
DylanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:59 PM   #5
Catch n' Fillet
Steelhead

I have buried the bow in an ebb roller coming back in a few times. Not sure that an open bow would have spelled doom but I was sure happy to have that bow pop back out nice and fast. The thing about the edd rollers is that they are a moving current not a swell. It’s more like a rapid. On the snake the open bow is all the rage until you get into the serious white water boats. I have witnessed that open bow get used like hand grip by a roller on the snake, it wasn’t pretty. Since then I’ve never entertained the thought. A nice flat top with a little crown. I stand on mine to fish just as easy as the step downs I have fished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Catch n' Fillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:11 PM   #6
garyk
King Salmon

Oversized scuppers along with a strapped-in cooler which displaces the majority of the volume of the open bow area.
As mentioned earlier, a rigid bow cover with cut-out to accommodate the cooler takes safety up a notch.

"Truth Matters"
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:30 PM   #7
wdlfbio
Tuna!

What size and style of boat are you referring to? Every center console out there is an “open bow”. We need more specifics to give you a reasonable reply.
wdlfbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:11 PM   #8
LuckyKAST
Coho

You will probably get more precise advice if you have a model of boat he is looking at. Can you share that?

My perspective. Oregon can have some pretty ferocious seas and everyone has their own comfort level in them. Mine is somewhere in the middle and enhanced by my boat. Experience is as important if not more so than vessel type so you have to weigh that as well. Also, there is a lot you can do to improve the seaworthiness of the boat after purchase, but not infinitely so. Much depends on what is meant by open bow and particularly how much water can accumulate up there. There is a post by sundog on here that shows how to address an open bow With a cooler and plywood. Many have open bow boats and love them and will be able to chime in once you share a bit more detail. I’m a closed bow guy.

If he has an alternative and is excited about the pacific, he should consider a boat designed for that purpose and his comfort level. I wouldn’t prioritize a inshore boat if the ocean is his ultimate ambition. I bought mine thinking I would be in lakes and rivers and occasionally the ocean. It only took one trip out of Newport and the boat has been moored there since. If he is interested in the ocean, plan for being on it more often than you think. It I hard to go back to trout fishing and Kokanee trolling once you pull up a halibut.

Tight lines...
LuckyKAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:17 AM   #9
StrawberryMTN
Chromer

I have an open bow aluminum boat that I will be using in the ocean...learned a lot from the guys here about how to be safe with this setup.

Here are some options that you can marry together or whatever.

1. Custom cut plywood sheet that covers the whole bow so water can't get in nearly as easy
2. Bigger drain holes or more of them
3. Better sealed walk through door
4. 100qt cooler strapped down to displace any water trying to get in.

I plan to do the cooler thing myself...I have bigger than average drain holes already so that is good.
StrawberryMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:32 AM   #10
seekanddestroy
Tuna!

Quote:
With a opened bow you just got to pick a flat ocean
And the tides rights so just need to picky when you go out there
seekanddestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:55 AM   #11
Kingkiller
Ifish Nate

We have a 22ft NR, before that one a 21ft NR, before that one a 21ft Thunder Jet, and i had a 19ft Sea Swirl before that one. Before that one I have been numerous times out with a friend that had a 20ft Duckworth. I believe they were all open bow. I have taken water over the tops, bow in to waves and stuck in the Columbia River on hard running tides with rollers(scary). The boats I have been in did a great job of keeping me out of danger. But that is me with my skill level and my idea of what was safe. Don't get me wrong there were times I wished I could click my ruby slippers and be back on the dock but that wasn't going to happen. When we go out for tuna we do put a large cooler up front and it helps a lot in displacing the water. IMO you watch the weather, plan your trip and only stay out in water and weather you are comfortable in. They are pretty safe boats.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:11 AM   #12
ron m
King Salmon

The type of boat is important, but also consider your nephew: his age, attitude about risk, experience, how strong his desire to catch fish, how strong his drive to preserve, his judgement, his knowledge of the ocean. All or at least most of us consider the forecast carefully before we go, but it takes experience and judgement to be willing to cancel a trip when ya wanna go but the forecast isn't good enough to go. If you go often, IME it's likely you'll sometime encounter conditions that are very different that forecasted and that's when the boat and the captain need to be pretty good and capable of handling the conditions. and of course as noted above, bar crossings can get kinda hairy at times.

Consider taking your nephew out in your boat some so that he sees what the ocean can be like, both to fish and the conditions that can be encountered. He can start learning from you now so he's better prepared when he goes in whatever boat he gets.
ron m
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:19 AM   #13
pirk fan
Tuna!

My 18.5 foot Willies Asaltor has an open bow with a big built in fish box. I've never measured the volume of the box, but it's pretty much side to side and perhaps 15 inches deep, The box has a drain plug which actually goes straight down and out a hole in the bottom of the boat. If I forget to put the plug in that box, it fills up with water while running, right up to the open bow and water will actually start running out the scuppers (not particularly big ones at that, something I obsessed about before I got it, but has been a non-issue). This just results in a very sluggish boat, not a catastrophic sinking. Just stop the boat, let the water drain out of the box and put the plug in. Most open bow boats still have displacement under the bow deck as does mine. Because the boat is a deep V, I've never taken a wave over the bow, in part because I've got a very low tolerance for rough oceans and am VERY selective about the days I go out. But this boat is a 1994 model, so it's been out on the ocean quite a bit including a few albie runs. Not saying it couldn't happen but it hasn't happened in a lot of years. As others have said, it's dependent on the model of boat and design of the hull, as well as some common sense about when and where you use it. An open bow aluminum boat hull is far from a fatal flaw if it's the right boat.
pirk fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:54 AM   #14
Soulakala
King Salmon

Unless the boat is identified a general answer is all your going to get. Some boats have more volume area up front than others. Some common differences are; the interior from the gunnel to the deck is enclosed reducing volume, the deck is not recessed too much and built back bow that would allow for winlass.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Soulakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #15
adrenaline
King Salmon

More details please, as an open bow boat can be anywhere from full(no wind shield), like said center council, or a open sled fits that category, to small & shallow walk thru windshield to open bow, to large & deep walk thru windshield to open bow, no doubt small & shallow will be safer cause it will not hold nearly as much water when you stuff the bow, no top vrs 1/2 soft top vrs full soft top(side curtains & back drop curtain) vrs 1/2 hard top vrs 3/4 hard top vrs full hard top with back drop curtain to full hard bulkhead with door makes a big difference too, no doubt the latter is best. I've fished 14' full open boats boats near shore for salmon & bottomfish around Jetty's, but would not feel safe venturing any further, & that was back when I had more bravado than brains, took a 17' open bow bass type boat with 1/2 soft top out to the chicken ranch for Halibut once, but will admit, that was stupid as well, took a 19' Trophy center council full open bow boat way out for salmon & bottomfish many times, often fully loaded with scuba diving gear too, & took a 19' transom mount full soft top with walk thru windshield to small & shallow open bow river boat waaay out for Tuna many times, all those boats I/we have got too old to even consider today, as age, comfort level of yourself & crew, as well as skipper skills are also big factors when venturing out in a often quickly turning rough ocean, so having some weather knowledge of the mighty pacific ocean is also a big factor, if we knew what boat your talking about we could be more specific.

Last edited by adrenaline; 08-26-2020 at 10:37 AM.
adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:44 AM   #16
Marcus S
Steelhead

Default Open bow boats on the ocean

Safety in the ocean is mainly about experience and judgement, being able to interpret the weather forecast as well as the conditions/changing conditions you are witnessing while on the water. There is nothing inherently unsafe about an “open bow” boat with an experienced operator..... a lot of guys fishing offshore in open skiffs/dories myself included, but I am a student of the weather and do get surprised sometimes and turn around, or choose not to launch the boat.

Last edited by Marcus S; 08-26-2020 at 11:46 AM.
Marcus S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:13 PM   #17
oct6454
Cutthroat

I think that he should consider the flexibility of his fishing dates. If you can be somewhat picky, then any boat would work.

His comfort should also be considered. I can tell you that running 30 miles, in the rain/wind, in my center console is not nearly as comfortable as running in a boat with a windshield.

IMO, whatever boat he gets he should ensure that his deck is self-bailing. I'm sure that some will fight me on this but I truly believe in the ability of a self-bailing deck to reduce strain on your batteries/bilge pumps. I've yet to be on a commercial boat that does not have a self-bailing deck.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:39 PM   #18
JerryS
Coho

Sorry for the "general info" question, but "general" feedback is great for now. Everyone has good info and it all helps. I'm not familiar with the specific model that he is looking at, if there is one yet. He pointed out a Boulton boat in Brookings recently, but I don't know the specific model. I did see that it was open bow and expressed my concern about that. Boulton does make nice boats though. I cut my teeth on the ocean in a 17' open bow tri-hull and lived to tell about it, but I always kept one eye on the port because I knew I was risking it. It was completely safe IF I didn't go when I shouldn't, which isn't much fun. Thanks to all of you for responding.
JerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:46 PM   #19
messmaker
Coho

We have a true open bow boat that has seating up front. It is an edge marine sport os hull that was a custom one off boat. I am in the process of building an aluminum cover that lays flat across the open portion of the bow, but I dont have it done yet and have had this boat on the ocean with just the snap on canvas on it lots of times. I have only taken a one small wave over the bow once while drifting out tuna fishing last summer and all the water ran off and nothing came of it. The design of the hull makes a big difference on how for the bow rides out of the water and as far as im concerned the further the distance the bow rail is from the water the better, within reason of course. The edge we have now, while on plane is at least twice the height above the water line as our previous thunderjet luxor was and it really makes a big difference. And of course picking the right days is important.
messmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:24 PM   #20
Aleutian
Cutthroat

Zero Problems with the right open bow. Lots of hook to the front of the boat is Key. The likelihood of stuffing the nose into a swell with a flat bow is very high.. Find a boat that has a rise in the bow, and a decent amount of it then have the builder weld in a few tie down pockets and strap a large cooler in the front. That's what was suggested by my builder and he runs a 27' Raider Hard Top "Sea Raider" in the ocean. Rogue Jet and Raider I think take the cake on this. The edge looks to sit really high as well. I've ran offshore in a 26' Bolton.. no thanks, Great Lake boat but the hull design isn't an ocean design.
Aleutian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:40 AM   #21
motoxaaron03
Tuna!

Sun Dog... You out there?

I know you've posted the pics no less than a dozen times, but your custom bow cover / cooler combination on "Rainbow" is the perfect solution to open bow boats, in my opinion.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:50 AM   #22
motoxaaron03
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxaaron03 View Post
Sun Dog... You out there?

I know you've posted the pics no less than a dozen times, but your custom bow cover / cooler combination on "Rainbow" is the perfect solution to open bow boats, in my opinion.
Never mind... found the pics in a quick search.

See post #9 in this thread: https://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=1561205
Old 08-27-2020, 04:28 PM   #23
JeffO
Tuna!

There are some open-bow aluminum boats that would be nuts to take on the ocean; others are fine. What to look for: minimum "bow well"; this is usually defined by the placement of the windshield. Some boats it's very far foreward, minimizing the well. The well should be shallow. Basically just an aid to anchoring, not a "bass boat" forward fishin station. The scuppers should be large. Older Alumawelds are terrible in this way. And the well should be bulkheaded off from the hull proper, such that a bowfull of water doesn't drain back into the boat. Again old Alumawelds are bad that way as are most river sleds.

The problem with strapping a big cooler up there or covering it with plywood is the door thru the windshield swings into to bow well. At least on my boat. Plywood would mean no foreward access; and a cooler can't be TOO big or the same issue.

Last edited by JeffO; 08-28-2020 at 02:13 PM.
JeffO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:35 PM   #24
No Reservations
Ifish Nate

The 30 gallons my open bow Hewescraft ocean pro is of little concern to me!

Drains quickly now one of my fat fishing buddy’s sitting up there might

The benefits of easier docking is much more important to me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No Reservations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:14 PM   #25
PDXmGunner
Steelhead

Quote:
I just re-powered my new to me boat since DEC 2109, 17' Arima Chaser with a 2020 Suzuki DF90. This was ideal for my budget and needs in a vessel. I went from a 14' Smoker with a 15 Johnson. I Have taken my boat and caught fish in the Willamette, Columbia from Bonneville to B10 and in the Ocean 20 miles out of Tillamook, without a crew. If the stars align I might even get out for Tuna.. I know far more experienced fishermen than me that fish in the ocean with open bow boats and they pick their days and they are fine, just like I do really. But with the closed bow and flotation, the boat has gives me great confidence that I will have something to hold on to if the boat capsizes. Which, due to design and matched with a capable operator, likely won't happen. When trailered, single axel, easy to tow and solo launch. The downside is the number of people you can comfortably fish on the boat, if that is important to you, for me it wasn't. To each his own. I love fishing on my friend's aluminum boats, it's a relaxing fishing platform and great for half a dozen people. Oh and fiberglass maintenance..

But I would highly recommend my boat if it suited the desired needs. I love it. And even better my wife does too.

So you're telling me there's a chance

Last edited by PDXmGunner; 08-27-2020 at 07:20 PM.
PDXmGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:07 AM   #26
Soulakala
King Salmon

Lets be realistic on this issue of saying that bow well will be full of water. Try this for a test of having the well full. Take a glass of water fill it to the brim and then start jumping over hurdles. How much water do you think will be in that glass, not full to the brim I assure you. Its the same with a boat that bow is jumping up and down and any water in there is going out the scuppers as well as over the side, over the side will be almost as fast as its coming in as it sloshes around and out. Sure your going to have some water up there in rough seas but full to the brim, not realistically. If you think so give it the glass of water test.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:21 AM   #27
bendavis
Tuna!

Solution: your forecasted weather should be 5-10kn north wind with no predicted afternoon blow up, 4’ swell or smaller.
bendavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:28 PM   #28
No Reservations
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendavis View Post
Solution: your forecasted weather should be 5-10kn north wind with no predicted afternoon blow up, 4’ swell or smaller.

Because forecasters are always right!
Old 08-29-2020, 08:31 PM   #29
flatman
King Salmon

how many open boats on the pacific coast went down last year because they had an open bow? that is what matters to see if it is really such to be worried about.

and mostly for the fish he is going after he isnt too far of a run in if the weather goes bad.

an open bow might be much safer anyway as you can get to the front for important things.. a closed bow is very hard to go up front in anything but a flat ocean.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:45 AM   #30
JeffO
Tuna!

Wasn't it last year a big windshield Alumaweld went down on the Winchester bar from taking a standing wave over the bow? It does happen....
Old 08-30-2020, 07:47 AM   #31
mrkkstr
Fry

Just a thought - why not buy a used fiberglass boat which is probably going to be a safer boat to use while learning the ocean. Plus they will be a lot cheaper than a new aluminum boat. Spend time down there fishing, gain expirence, and in a few years buy his dream boat. I am sure that if he buys his “Perfect” boat now he will have a completely different idea of what the “perfect” dream boat is after a few years of trips in the salt under his belt.
mrkkstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:45 AM   #32
Just One More
Steelhead

In my 21 ft Seahawk we got caught last year 42 miles miles form Newport by the corners when a nasty south wind came up
4 hours with my nose into the waves at 10 mile / hr.
( hard to keep the nose trimmed up when you are going that slow )
Took many waves over the front
Filling the bow was the least of my worries , but I am sure it had lots of water in it many times.
We did have a cooler strapped in the front

To tell the truth I would be just as happy with my boat if it had an enclosed bow
Never really go up there unless we are tuna fishing and then the extra cooler with ice is nice to have

21 ft North River Seahawk
"Just one more"
Just One More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:19 PM   #33
Kingkiller
Ifish Nate

We have had our bow buried in a wave 2 years ago. I think any boat with a trim like our NR, recessed or not, would have acted the same. The water shed off easily. We also discussed if another wave would have hit back to back. It can only hold so much water and the first wave, which was big, did not stop it from coming back up. But I will never say never just depends on the circumstances.
Why does NR design their boat with a recessed front end or any other boat manufacturer. It would be easy to convert that at time of build to a flat deck that you could still stand on when conditions are calm. I would like the additional room in the front end if by chance you could modify the existing recessed front. A little cutting and welding. May have to look into that.
Those boats on the Columbia wreck sure sunk fast. ?

Last edited by Kingkiller; 08-30-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Kingkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:37 PM   #34
No Reservations
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffO View Post
Wasn't it last year a big windshield Alumaweld went down on the Winchester bar from taking a standing wave over the bow? It does happen....

They also go down from following waves just sayin! It does happen......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2020, 07:02 PM   #35
Tinman

Classic sea boats worldwide have a high bow to avoid the types of issues discussed in this thread.

Old 08-30-2020, 11:05 PM   #36
JeffO
Tuna!

Yeah but look at that thing, stuck helpless on the dang beach like that. You'd never see an open bow aluminum in such straights.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:08 PM   #37
JeffO
Tuna!

I've noticed those dory's run aground a lot. Inexperience? Cheap electronics led them astray? Asleep at the helm and missed the jetties? Are they all owned by a buncha hopheads?!
Old 08-31-2020, 06:30 AM   #38
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:
I've noticed those dory's run aground a lot. Inexperience? Cheap electronics led them astray? Asleep at the helm and missed the jetties? Are they all owned by a buncha hopheads?!
They couldn't afford a surf board so hence a dory.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:05 AM   #39
Rseas
Steelhead

LOL, dory fisherman around the world have been going to sea and doing beach landings since time began. For the most part the beach dories in So Cal don't even have electronics. Now did you mention hopp-heads? As a home brewer I resemble that remark...

Last edited by Rseas; 08-31-2020 at 07:07 AM.
Rseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:43 AM   #40
JeffO
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulakala View Post
Ah, so THAT'S it.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:38 AM   #41
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:
Yeah but look at that thing, stuck helpless on the dang beach like that. You'd never see an open bow aluminum in such straights.
But you sure see a lot of open bow aluminum stuck waiting in ramp lines at Newport and Depoe.

Last edited by Joe Evens; 08-31-2020 at 10:40 AM.
Joe Evens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:45 AM   #42
JeffO
Tuna!

Haha well played!
Old 08-31-2020, 01:04 PM   #43
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulakala View Post
Ha, have you priced dories? In good condition they always sell for more than when they were new. Often several times as much. Brand new dories tend to depreciate somewhat for 5 years or so as the new wears off, then steadily go up in value for the next several decades.

Last edited by Joe Evens; 08-31-2020 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:22 PM   #44
Tunamon
Ifish Nate

I've been running the my center console boat for 6 years and haven't had any issues with taking waves over the gunnels (spray now that's another story), but I do have scuppers (not oversized). For fishing on the ocean my boat is an excellent fishing platform (all one level) and when you have a powerful tuna taking laps around the boat not an issue, best Ocean and Columbia River boat I've ever had. I've taken it out 72 miles without a second thought because I pick good days. Having said all that I also have a lot of ocean experience and know my tides thus never run on a 1.5' or greater flow exchange per hour thus don't have to worry about stuffing my nose in a tight exchange wave set. On the ocean any thing greater than a .75 ratio of wave over duration is a pass (this one has some exceptions based on secondary and tertiary wave directions, but that's a much bigger conversation). Wind wave greater than 2.5' foot on any swell and duration my body will remind me I shouldn't have gone. Sustained 15 mph wind for 2+ hours generally will whip-up a 2-3 foot wind wave, but if it's in the late afternoon when I'm running home and it's from a direction from SW through N, I don't consider it an issue, but if it's S-NE then I'll pass with with pretty much any wave direction.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:26 PM   #45
Etonfish
Ifish Nate

Quote:
I actually had someone come up to me after landing at Cannon Beach and ask if we were okay. It took me a second to realize they were serious and thought we crashed into the beach (which I suppose is what it looks like to someone who hasn't seen it). I guess they didn't notice the trailer up the beach.
Etonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:29 PM   #46
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunamon View Post
I've been running the my center console boat for 6 years and haven't had any issues with taking waves over the gunnels (spray now that's another story), but I do have scuppers (not oversized). For fishing on the ocean my boat is an excellent fishing platform (all one level) and when you have a powerful tuna taking laps around the boat not an issue, best Ocean and Columbia River boat I've ever had. I've taken it out 72 miles without a second thought because I pick good days. Having said all that I also have a lot of ocean experience and know my tides thus never run on a 1.5' or greater flow exchange per hour thus don't have to worry about stuffing my nose in a tight exchange wave set. On the ocean any thing greater than a .75 ratio of wave over duration is a pass (this one has some exceptions based on secondary and tertiary wave directions, but that's a much bigger conversation). Wind wave greater than 2.5' foot on any swell and duration my body will remind me I shouldn't have gone. Sustained 15 mph wind for 2+ hours generally will whip-up a 2-3 foot wind wave, but if it's in the late afternoon when I'm running home and it's from a direction from SW through N, I don't consider it an issue, but if it's S-NE then I'll pass with with pretty much any wave direction.
Ah haw! I recognize that spot. Now your honey hole location is exposed!
Old 08-31-2020, 04:36 PM   #47
Tunamon
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G Baldi View Post
Ah haw! I recognize that spot. Now your honey hole location is exposed!

Don it's a great spot for photo ops.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:42 PM   #48
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Ya, and at least it ain't the pinnacle.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:12 PM   #49
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Tunamon, that is a good looking Fishing boat. The bulwark forward looks right. Functional. The extra height will certainly help keep the green water out. The bow should be more fishable with higher sides, and it should add considerable momentary displacement at the moment the bow tries to plunge into a wave.

With the helm a bit farther aft than on many boats, the ride for helmsman and crew should be noticeably better than the same hull with the more NW conventional windshield or cabin, forward to maximize the main dance floor.

Nice Boat.

Last edited by Joe Evens; 08-31-2020 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:16 AM   #50
Soulakala
King Salmon

Tunamon your boat is not a river hull vessel like those river sleds and from that bow height should be able to handle some nasty water. My boating has changed from not minding a pounding trip to lately picking only those days that offer up a great ride in and out leaving the wind chop days to the hardy bunch of fishermen. Some of those open bow river sleds are an accident waiting to happen crossing the bar. And I don't mean dory's in that remark as they are a different breed of cat. When I see a 24-26 foot sled going over the bar with 6 clients facing back and no one wearing PFDs I say to myself its only a matter of time before he takes on a big wave and stuffs the bow turning that sled instantly into a submarine. I've seen two sleds stuff their hull but lucky the wave timing was just spread out enough to allow the hull to level out and to reduce speed before the next wave hit.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:26 AM   #51
JeffO
Tuna!

Wasn't gonna post this but, well, I guess I am. This is why I keep mentioning older Alumawelds. Does anybody see scuppers on this hull? Maybe I'm just going blind. On these older ones it appears a bowfull of water = a boatfull of water with just buckets and the bilge pump to clear it out. My cousin's Blackhawk, much newer, is a nice boat but has scupper holes about 1/4 the size of my Hewes ProV and much more volume in the bow well too. Why?!

At some point, if the bow well is small "enough" and the scuppers big enough, and the rest of the hull properly bulkheaded off, what you have up front amounts to a self-bailing wet deck, more so than a bow well.

Anyway, all aluminum bow-well boats are most assuredly NOT created equally in this regard. For ocean use, buyer beware.

https://olympic.craigslist.org/boa/d...187419027.html
Old 09-01-2020, 01:20 PM   #52
Tunamon
Ifish Nate

JeffO that style of boat wouldn't support scuppers because it doesn't have a solid floor, it's marine grade wood with a vinyl covering for the segments on the walking floor board, thus scuppers would only get part of the water as water leaks into the sub-floor.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:05 PM   #53
JeffO
Tuna!

Be that as it may, I'll put it forth as an example of how SOME aluminum bow-well boats could be quite dangerous out on the pond. If that boat scooped 50 gallons in the bow well, it'd be a disaster and take forever for the bilge pump to get rid of.

I think folks looking at their first aluminum windshield boat- like the OP's nephew- tend to think they are all about the same, because they share a very similar form-factor to the novice eye. I was certainly guilty of that. If the Big Pond is on the menu, they surely aren't all the same.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:19 PM   #54
flatman
King Salmon

most boats have far too small holes in the bow. hewes isnt bad but you want that water out now. so best to cut in more holes or make what you have much larger. you can always put a screen over them if you worry about something going overboard. and two large pumps in the bilge.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:42 PM   #55
pirk fan
Tuna!

As I posted earlier, my boat has a (big) fish box in the open bow which can fill under pressure if I forget to put in the drain plug when under way. And once full, water starts running out the (smallish) scuppers. I don't know how many gallons this thing is but it's a lot. However it does not result in a catastrophic sinking, the boat just gets a little sluggish which then reminds me..."Oh crap, forgot the drain plug (again)". I think if the hull on an open bow boat is appropriately shaped (The Asaltor is a deep vee), an open bow isn't the kiss of death, unless you do what surfers refer to as pearling, in which case a lot of hull shapes would be in trouble
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fish box.PNG
Views:	231
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	753219   Click image for larger version

Name:	fish box drain hole.PNG
Views:	230
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	753221  
pirk fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:35 PM   #56
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:

At some point, if the bow well is small "enough" and the scuppers big enough, and the rest of the hull properly bulkheaded off, what you have up front amounts to a self-bailing wet deck, more so than a bow well.

Anyway, all aluminum bow-well boats are most assuredly NOT created equally in this regard. For ocean use, buyer beware.

https://olympic.craigslist.org/boa/d...187419027.html
Good, very valid point about being or potentially modifying to become a self bailing deck.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #57
Califbill
Tuna!

My 1991 Jetcraft had small bow holes with s clamshell over them. Looked nice, slooooow drain. I took a hole saw and made bigger holes. Maybe a little big for looks, but they will drain a lot of water. When you see river jet boats in Green Water over the windshield, and not sinking, I think the bow is a non consideration. My recessed bow has never had anything but spray come in. So maybe the boat design helps as they are sharp bow entry. As to seeing them on the beach, those aluminum jets do park there at times. Been on a couple gravel bars over the years, and once while visiting Angel Island in SF Bay, tide went out and was high and dry. Some people on the beach helped slide it back in to the water. Nice to not have a prop down below.
Califbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:02 PM   #58
Sallysea
Chromer

I wrote an article in Northwest Sportsman magazine last fall, maybe September or November issue about a guy getting caught in rough seas in an open bow boat. Might want to find the issue and read about it, I believe the issues are available on their website. The story was told to me by one of the people on board that day.
For those who put the cooler up front and load it with tuna might consider moving the fish to the rear of the boat to allow the bow to rise if conditions turn on you.
Also wrote an article a month later about getting caught in a storm in my 21' Bayliner. If you survive these experiences, they do make you smarter.
Sallysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:15 PM   #59
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallysea View Post
I wrote an article in Northwest Sportsman magazine last fall, maybe September or November issue about a guy getting caught in rough seas in an open bow boat. Might want to find the issue and read about it, I believe the issues are available on their website. The story was told to me by one of the people on board that day.
For those who put the cooler up front and load it with tuna might consider moving the fish to the rear of the boat to allow the bow to rise if conditions turn on you.
Also wrote an article a month later about getting caught in a storm in my 21' Bayliner. If you survive these experiences, they do make you smarter.
Can you include a link to your article? I couldn't find it n the NW Sportsman site.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:23 PM   #60
Sallysea
Chromer

You are right, they appear to have changed their website, I could not find a way to search the archives. I have attached a draft that was most of it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A rough day at sea.pdf (288.2 KB, 147 views)
Sallysea is offline   Reply With Quote