What happened to the Halibut - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 08-01-2020, 09:13 AM   #1
Capin' Dan
Ifish Nate

Default What happened to the Halibut

Ten years ago we went to the chicken ranch and always caught our halibut. Now I hear it is slow or no bites or just low 30 inchers. Halibut hill was a garantee to get your fish now its dead. Are we over fishing it are the commercials wiping out these areas before the sporties hit these spots. What can we do to restore this fishery. I have not gone out for Oregon hslibut because it is not worth it. If we could keep some lings then it is more worth it. Hoe can we get ODFW to let us jeep both Wa. Does it.

Capin' Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 09:52 AM   #2
myprozac
Steelhead

Default Re: What happened to the Halibut

When I had my Parker we could be at the Hill and drop down 4 rods and have all loaded up and reeling in letting anything less than 38' go. Headed back in before the fleet arrived most times. You shouldn't be able to keep anything under 32-34'' it just doesn't make sense. By catch and draggers have wiped it clean. I guess you call it a blast from the past. I see videos of guides out there catching Ling Cod and never even touch a Butt.
myprozac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
Stinkbait
Steelhead

Isn't there a depth restriction for commercial halibut? I was thinking 100 fa. They don't seem to very many or very long seasons but don't for sure. How much by-catch are they allow while black cod fishing or is there any? Are there other commercial fisheries in Oregon where there is a halibut by-catch? I wish I knew more about the commercials but everything can't be their fault.
Stinkbait is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 11:54 AM   #4
duke1122
Tuna!

There is hali bycatch for chinook trollers.
duke1122 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:43 PM   #5
gottafish
King Salmon

look what the commercials did to halibut hill its a ghost town out there
gottafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:33 PM   #6
Sun Dog
Sturgeon

Halibut move around. Last year's spots may not produce much this year, but could be good again next year. A guy just posted up a trip yesterday with limits at the Ranch, 46" biggest fish, you just have to find them. Of course, the Ranch is a big spot, just like the Thumb. I like to set way points where I catch them, often there are subtle differences that draw Halibut each year. I try to set my drifts to go through multiple spots where I have previously caught fish. I was 11/12 this season filling tags, with bunches of paddles and chickens thrown back... Then I took my friend Eric to my best spots and got Skunked! Rough ocean day, looking for new spots, I just never found the right spot that day. We fished half day at The Ranch a couple weeks ago when the Thumb died after our first 2 fish (40 & 47"), it was Dead at my favorite spot on the Ranch but we quickly filled our limits about a half mile away. Sometimes you just have to keep moving your drift.

Another good trick is to use a 2-hook rig, put an 8" white Gulp Grub tipped with Tuna belly or Shad on the top hook. This gives your rig more visibility, and keeps you fishing even if you get a bait stealer that hits your Herring. I also use a longer lead line, gets my baits up where they are easier to see.

Good luck!

- 24' NR Sea Hawk Hard Top
Sun Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:09 PM   #7
Little Buck
Tuna!

Thanks for the tips SunDog ! Appreciate it.
Little Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #8
duke1122
Tuna!

Thanks Sundog. Each little hint can make a day.
duke1122 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:35 PM   #9
rogueriverfisher
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Dog View Post
Another good trick is to use a 2-hook rig, put an 8" white Gulp Grub tipped with Tuna belly or Shad on the top hook.
Sun Dog, any thoughts on using salmon strips/bellies in lieu of shad or tuna bellies? I’ve been using strips of sockeye salmon, bought from Albertsons this year, and while I didn’t get the grade of fish of years before, we still caught lots halibut this year.

Do the bigger models seem to prefer shad and tuna belly? Do you think salmon is a good substitute for the bigguns?

Also, what size is the shad and tuna bellies your adding? Does the size of bait make a difference? We’ve been using 12-16” strips this year, some of my crew have been pushing me to use bigger pieces ... but I like that size, as far as number of baits vs cost of the salmon fillets, it ends up costing about the same as a tray of quality black label herring @ $7-8 dollars a tray for 5 or 6 herring.
rogueriverfisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:52 PM   #10
Sun Dog
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueriverfisher View Post
Sun Dog, any thoughts on using salmon strips/bellies in lieu of shad or tuna bellies? I’ve been using strips of sockeye salmon, bought from Albertsons this year, and while I didn’t get the grade of fish of years before, we still caught lots halibut this year.
Anything that puts out an oily scent trail and flutters on the end of the hook will work well.

Quote:
Do the bigger models seem to prefer shad and tuna belly? Do you think salmon is a good substitute for the bigguns?
For several years I have observed that most of our larger Halibut are caught on the Grub/Belly hook and not the Herring hook. Not always, but perhaps 75% of our bigger fish are on the grub. I always have an abundance of Tuna belly so that is all I use for Halibut fishing. Salmon bellies would absolutely be a good substitute.

Quote:
Also, what size is the shad and tuna bellies your adding? Does the size of bait make a difference? We’ve been using 12-16” strips this year, some of my crew have been pushing me to use bigger pieces ... but I like that size, as far as number of baits vs cost of the salmon fillets
I typically make 6" long x 1.5" wide strips. 4" strips are fine also.

One day several years ago we were skunked with increasing winds, I gave the typical "One more drift" speech... George put a whole Tuna belly on his grub, and sure enough... A bit Halibut took it on the last drift Sometimes you don't know, other times you just aren't certain!

- 24' NR Sea Hawk Hard Top
Sun Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:17 PM   #11
rogueriverfisher
Chromer

Thanks for the education Sun Dog!! Sincerely appreciate you investing your hard won knowledge and passing it to someone you’ve never met face-to-face. Can’t wait for my next opportunity to put it all to work, and see what I get!
rogueriverfisher is online now   Reply With Quote