Buying a car. Need expert advice - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 07-31-2020, 08:53 AM   #1
newportfisher
Tuna!

Default Buying a car. Need expert advice

I am looking at buying a new car and need some advice. What better place to come to than ifish?!

Background...I am looking into buying a new Subaru. I can get the same car for the same price at a local dealer (Subaru 5 year powertrain warranty and the dealer will include 2 years of oil changes). Or I can drive to Beaverton (an hour drive) and get the same car, pay the same price, and receive a lifetime powertrain warranty and 10 years of roadside assistance. What makes the most sense? Is the powertrain warranty not all it is cracked up to be? Is the roadside assistance only a limited area usually?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Cameron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2020, 09:36 AM   #2
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Default Re: Buying a car. Need expert advice

Car power trains are so reliable these days the warranty means little. Simply a sales gimmick. A person would have a hard time convincing me those oil changes are actually free. Try to negotiate a price without the "free" stuff. I would do a google search on the models you're considering to see just how reliable they are.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:39 AM   #3
newportfisher
Tuna!

Awesome, I really appreciate your response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
surfnfish
Chromer

Sube's are great cars, on our 4th, a 2020 Forester (wife loves it), however, they do have occasional tranny problems so why not get the longer warranty and roadside assistance.
BTW, if you're a Costco member, you can go through them and get great pricing. We custom ordered our 2020 and went out the door for 28K, 3K less then lot sticker price for the same car in a color we didn't want..
surfnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:48 AM   #5
jimh
King Salmon

You don’t say how much you drive or how long you plan to keep the vehicle. That would factor in.

From a quick look, most Subaru models come with 5 yr/60,000 mile warranties, so the one dealer seems to be only offering oil changes. Warranties are important along with loaners if you are hard on vehicles or are buying a new model.

I would also look at Edmunds TruePrice, Cosco, and Truecar for prices. Also, consider using a broker especially if you plan to trade. Do not trade without knowing the value of your Trade-in.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:28 AM   #6
newportfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
You don’t say how much you drive or how long you plan to keep the vehicle. That would factor in.

From a quick look, most Subaru models come with 5 yr/60,000 mile warranties, so the one dealer seems to be only offering oil changes. Warranties are important along with loaners if you are hard on vehicles or are buying a new model.

I would also look at Edmunds TruePrice, Cosco, and Truecar for prices. Also, consider using a broker especially if you plan to trade. Do not trade without knowing the value of your Trade-in.
Looking at a 2020 and plan on keeping it for a long time. We drive a significant amount, I would say.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:37 AM   #7
Fishsizzle
Chromer

My question is the fine print on the power train promise. Be that you are in Bend, are you willing to travel over the hill for ALL maintenance? I can almost guarantee that is what is required in the small print. If you miss an oil change or service interval, or have it done at another dealer, then it is void. I could be wrong, but there has to be a catch
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:45 AM   #8
namu mac
Sturgeon

I think you will get better service if you buy local. If there’s any problems that are in a grey area your dealer is more likely to go to vat for you. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2020, 11:51 AM   #9
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Any warranty beyond the standard factory type is an insurance policy, something you can buy on the open market when the factory one runs out. Save your money up front and make sure it isn't built into the purchase price.

Like Fishsizzle says, read the fine print on every document you sign. If the sales person offers something, get it in writing.

Deal with only one person. If the sales person says they gotta go talk to the boss, that's your invitation to get up and leave. Don't let 'em jerk you around.

Know exactly what you want and have an idea what you're willing to pay. Don't let them try to sell you something with a bunch of add-on's that jack the price up. Be willing to say you're not spending over a certain amount. Make them match your price, you don't have to match theirs.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:40 PM   #10
Grasshopper Green
Fry

Costco Costco Costco.

I own a shop in PDX. Wish I did more subies because "they are such great cars!" Transmission problems, head gasket problems, etc. I'd have more bigger toys with more subarus. Cars from Japan should say Toyota on the front. No comparison in quality or reliability. Just my .02 but go look at a RAV4 hybrid then order one through Costco
Grasshopper Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:11 PM   #11
Geemo
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper Green View Post
Costco Costco Costco.

I own a shop in PDX. Wish I did more subies because "they are such great cars!" Transmission problems, head gasket problems, etc. I'd have more bigger toys with more subarus. Cars from Japan should say Toyota on the front. No comparison in quality or reliability. Just my .02 but go look at a RAV4 hybrid then order one through Costco
Given all routine maintenance is done as scheduled and a person is a reasonable driver.....

What are the service problems you see with Subaru Forrester's?
Is there a certain mileage problems begin to happen?
Geemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:28 AM   #12
HntnFsh
King Salmon

I remember when my Mother in law wanted me to take her car shopping for a subaru. I told her I would take her car shopping for just about anything but a subaru. Ended up getting her a nice Rav4.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:42 AM   #13
DogZilla15
King Salmon

If you get something other than a Subaru you can keep your man card. Are you willing to give that up?
Old 08-01-2020, 05:55 AM   #14
Grasshopper Green
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geemo View Post
Given all routine maintenance is done as scheduled and a person is a reasonable driver.....

What are the service problems you see with Subaru Forrester's?
Is there a certain mileage problems begin to happen?
All the four cylinders since the 2.2L went away puke head gaskets. We are doing them on one right now with 130k.

Got an Impreza in the shop popping out of third gear (manual.)

Auto transmission problems are fairly common.

There is a class action lawsuit over the crappy CVT transmissions they made around 8 years ago.

The Crosstrek hybrid is absolutely one of the dumbest hybrids out there. How many Toyota hybrids have 2 12v batteries?

They can't innovate anything. So they license stuff from Toyota then make it crappy. Subaru has revolutionized what? Oh wait nothing.

They get really crappy gas mileage for a four-cylinder.

They can only be justified if you live somewhere with ice. They do well in that.

But absolutely the Japanese car company that wins for highest maintenance costs.

You could get an Audi! That is definitely way worse as far as maintenance costs. But Subaru is not awful, they are just nowhere in the same league as Toyota.

The non prime is the hottest selling Toyota right now. Prime just came out does 0-60 in like 6 seconds but gets over 40mpg, AWD, and will need basically nothing except tires and oil until 200k. Hell it doesn't even use brakes 90% of the time, we see em go to 150-250,000 miles on Toyota hybrids.

https://youtu.be/ZCyguTNOA_4

I don't understand the justification for people buying Subarus.

If you can't tell I'm slightly jaded because I have to listen to people whine about how much money it costs to fix cars everyday.

"The Subaru needs about as much money in repairs as it's worth"
Old 08-01-2020, 08:14 AM   #15
socket985
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper Green View Post
All the four cylinders since the 2.2L went away puke head gaskets. We are doing them on one right now with 130k.

Got an Impreza in the shop popping out of third gear (manual.)

Auto transmission problems are fairly common.

There is a class action lawsuit over the crappy CVT transmissions they made around 8 years ago.

The Crosstrek hybrid is absolutely one of the dumbest hybrids out there. How many Toyota hybrids have 2 12v batteries?

They can't innovate anything. So they license stuff from Toyota then make it crappy. Subaru has revolutionized what? Oh wait nothing.

They get really crappy gas mileage for a four-cylinder.

They can only be justified if you live somewhere with ice. They do well in that.

But absolutely the Japanese car company that wins for highest maintenance costs.

You could get an Audi! That is definitely way worse as far as maintenance costs. But Subaru is not awful, they are just nowhere in the same league as Toyota.

The non prime is the hottest selling Toyota right now. Prime just came out does 0-60 in like 6 seconds but gets over 40mpg, AWD, and will need basically nothing except tires and oil until 200k. Hell it doesn't even use brakes 90% of the time, we see em go to 150-250,000 miles on Toyota hybrids.

https://youtu.be/ZCyguTNOA_4

I don't understand the justification for people buying Subarus.

If you can't tell I'm slightly jaded because I have to listen to people whine about how much money it costs to fix cars everyday.

"The Subaru needs about as much money in repairs as it's worth"

Well Said and spot on 100 percent. The Subaru's are horrible in regards to there engine, general power train costs for upkeep and repair. however you can run them a long time, oil is cheap and they do navigate well in adverse conditions.

I bought two of my kids subaru's as in western washington you can experience bouts of bad weather without much notice. The kids don't tend to " stay Home " when they should or get stuck away from home and I figured for this reason alone, we bought em. I know on multiple occasions it helped contribute to them getting home safely.

Last edited by socket985; 08-01-2020 at 08:17 AM.
socket985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:49 AM   #16
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Dunno about the adverse conditions thing. Whenever the road conditions get bad around here, it's always a pain in the butt to get stuck behind a Sub. Probably a driver thing more than the car but it still sucks.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:55 AM   #17
SlamminKokes
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
If you get something other than a Subaru you can keep your man card. Are you willing to give that up?

Not if he buys a Prius instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #18
DogZilla15
King Salmon

SK... Good point. Lots of vehicles out there that will get a man card revoked.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:32 AM   #19
Grasshopper Green
Fry

Prius is a real mans car. I drive one and when people give me **** I say "cars are for losers want to go fly in my airplane? "

Cheapest most reliable car you could ever possibly own. It takes a real man to admit that that's what's important.

Save your money for real toys. A fancy car just gets scratched up and wears out sitting in traffic.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:42 AM   #20
fishnhunt13
Chromer

Back to the OP.
Personally I'd go with the extended warranty rather than the oil changes.
The oil change interval in cars has gotten to be so long that you do very few oil changes in two years. So the oil change package that they're offering is 4 or maybe 5 oil changes. Not that huge of a value.
I usually put extended warranties in the 'hard to justify' category because they're picking up that small period between when the original manufacturer warranty expires and when most of the original owners sell the vehicle due to age or wear or.....
In this case if you're going to have a catastrophic powertrain issue they're most common when they're new (ie manufacturer defect) or age/wear (note wear related items ie CV shafts aren't covered) related once you get into the high mileage category (125k to 150k+ for a modern car). So for most people they're buying a third party warranty (insurance essentially) to cover what should be the lowest risk period of ownership.
So what's the tradeoff? 200 bucks worth of oil changes (4 @ $50) or extended warranty plus towing. For me its the low value warranty. I wouldn't pay the $1,500 that they want when you buy the car but I'd trade a few oil changes that I can do myself for it.
PS. You'll love your Subaru. My wife bought one two years ago and she loves it. Been completely trouble and worry free.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
fishnhunt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #21
SHJunky
Tuna!

Extended warranty for sure. Every Subaru owner i know has had problems with theirs. Especially if they are turbo.

My sisters just about killed her financially. My neighbors just traded theirs because it was nickel and diming them

To be fair, one of my buddies in AK had a Subaru for “guests”. It got to the point i looked forward to driving it because it had 360k on it and i thought that was cool.
SHJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:55 AM   #22
newportfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
I've driven a Subaru since 2008. Not having a man card has treated me pretty well.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:15 AM   #23
Cookieman
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by newportfisher View Post
I've driven a Subaru since 2008. Not having a man card has treated me pretty well.

Oh Boy!

I don't always tell people where I fish, but when I do, its a lie!
Cookieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:48 AM   #24
Foreel
Tuna!

My wife just got a lemon law new subaru. The 2013 outback burned oil from day one. She drove it for almost 100,000 miles and they gave her a new one for 5k. However she had to jump through hoops all along The way. At first they tried to tell her burning a quart of oil every 2000 miles was normal. Ha. She's a school teacher and doesn't give up. So 2020 new subaru in the driveway right now. Guy at the shop said there are years of subaru to stay away from. Guess that was one of them. When they took the 2013 outback they said they would resale it as used. Watch out for a 2013 blue outback.
Foreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:15 PM   #25
Rick S
Steelhead

It's interesting how they vary.

My '02 WRX was perfect for the 12 years I kept it (fun too). My wife is on her second Outback. Her '13 with the 2.5L 4 cylinder and CVT had zero problems but was a bit sluggish. Her latest '17 has the 3.6L 6 cylinder and has been mechanically perfect. It's smooth and pretty quick. Our only issues are fairly poor fuel economy (too many short trips) and a reverse object detector that sometimes falses backing out the driveway. None have burned oil or had head gasket leaks and I've kept close watch for both.
Rick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:18 PM   #26
Hobbyfarmer
Tuna!

Just bought a new outback 3 weeks ago. The only way I know of that the lifetime power train is with the car is if it includes the extended warranty through Subaru. Based on what the dealership told me.

The cost for the extended warranty was cut in half after I said no twice. You can also add it later on as long as the car is still under the factory warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newportfisher View Post
I am looking at buying a new car and need some advice. What better place to come to than ifish?!

Background...I am looking into buying a new Subaru. I can get the same car for the same price at a local dealer (Subaru 5 year powertrain warranty and the dealer will include 2 years of oil changes). Or I can drive to Beaverton (an hour drive) and get the same car, pay the same price, and receive a lifetime powertrain warranty and 10 years of roadside assistance. What makes the most sense? Is the powertrain warranty not all it is cracked up to be? Is the roadside assistance only a limited area usually?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Cameron
Hobbyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote