Fort Stevens campground during Buoy 10 season - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 06-28-2020, 04:09 PM   #1
JasonsZ06
Tuna!

Default Fort Stevens campground during Buoy 10 season

Looks like those of us with Fort Stevens cabin or yurt reservations during the Buoy 10 season are out of luck. Unless you can prove a disability. I struggle to understand how it's not safe to use the yurts or cabins, unless you're disabled.

Copied and pasted from the Oregon State park Fort Stevens site:

COVID-19 UPDATE
Day Use
Day use areas are open with reduced services:
Historic Area, including batteries, Jetty Trail, disc golf course and restrooms, is open. Museum CLOSED.
Beach accesses OPEN
All trails are OPEN
Picnic shelters CLOSED through at least Sept. 7
Reduced garbage service. Please pack out trash.
Facilities may close without notice.
Do not travel far to visit. Be prepared to turn around if crowded.
Camping
Now accepting reservations up to 14 days in advance. Campers must have a reservation; no first-come, first-served camping. Book your stay at oregonstateparks.reserveamerica.com.

Note the following reduced services:
174 full-hookup sites (36 pull-through)
302 electrical sites with water (11 pull-through)
Six tent sites with water nearby
15 yurts (7 pet-friendly) CLOSED through at least Sept. 30
11 deluxe cabins (5 pet-friendly) CLOSED through at least Sept. 30
Hiker/biker camp CLOSED
Group camp CLOSED through at least Sept. 7
Flush toilets NO SHOWERS
RV dump station
Universal Access: Four sites, eight cabins and 10 yurts are accessible to campers with disabilities.

JasonsZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 01:01 PM   #2
JasonsZ06
Tuna!

Default Re: Fort Stevens campground during Buoy 10 season

Received a call back from a gentleman at Ft. Stevens campground. With a budget shortfall of several millions, they’re only getting 4 or 6 seasonal employees, many less than they’d normally have, and not enough to clean the yurts and cabins between stays. And apparently the statement on the website stating that the cabins would still be open for people with disabilities is incorrect. He’s checking into why it says that, but says they’re closed to everyone.
JasonsZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:26 PM   #3
crownpoint54
Steelhead

Not necessarily to do with Fort Stevens, but we camped at Honeyman State Park last week and it wasn't a good experience. Park Rangers would only open one restroom for two loops. You had to guess which one was open (they would alternate back and forth) and then share it with two loops. Restrooms were constantly out of either tp or paper towels. There was no hot water either. It's tuff being a tent camper. I wouldn't want to do it with kids.

I know this may sound petty, but we have been using OSP for a lot of years and I have never seen it like this. I guess we are paying the price for budget cuts.
crownpoint54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 01:50 PM   #4
Pinstriper
Chromer

I don’t think it is budget cuts per se. That work is done by camp hosts, who are generally full time RVers. Retired, the move from park to park across many states as the seasons change. I believe they get free campsites, but not much more. If they are paid at all it is a small stipend. They clean campsites between campers, clean the bathrooms, sell the firewood and generally serve as complaint desk in their loop. Couple two-three hours a day, plus on call for disturbances in their loop.

Most of them are in the high risk group for Covid, and so I wouldn’t be surprised seeing them skip a season and staying put where they are. Too, the governor’s lockdown basically upended all their plans, so again a lot will just sit the season out. As upset as we all were who had a weekend or two cancelled, these folks had the whole month or season cancelled. It isn’t so easy to turn that back on and find camp hosts for every loop, on demand.

Especially with the prospect of new closures. Would you set out for the summer from, say, New Mexico or Indiana or Louisiana to be an Oregon camp host, just to find when you get here, its all shut down again, and by the way so are all the campsites between here and home, so yeah good luck on your road trip ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pinstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:53 PM   #5
OregonSteel
Tuna!

Also, showers will be closed for the entire park. Imagine going a week tent camping, fishing everyday, cutting bait, cleaning fish, with no shower. I guess you could lather up and jump in eyeFISH style at the end of the fishing day?
OregonSteel is offline   Reply With Quote