Netarts boat ride? - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 06-24-2020, 07:27 AM   #1
joloni
Chromer

Default Netarts boat ride?

Aloha all, it's been a loooong time since i've logged onto these boards, good to see some old names/faces around still. This is a long shot, but my wife and I are backpacking a chunk of the oregon coast trail for my wife 40th next month, plan on going from Cape Meares to PC, and have been stymied trying to arrange a shuttle across Netarts Bay. I've tried Big Spruce and Netarts RV, both of whom don't/won't do shuttles. Anybody have any other ideas of commercial places to try, or longer shot still, anybody plan on crabbing Sunday July 12th that wouldn't mind giving us a ride across the bay?
Thanks for taking the time to read, Jonah

joloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2020, 09:41 PM   #2
NorthPlainsDrifter
Chromer

Default Re: Netarts boat ride?

I would go hang out at the boat ramp and just ask some of the boats crabbing, it's a really short trip to the spit.
NorthPlainsDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:02 PM   #3
dbjockey
Steelhead

Jonah, Aloha. I am out of town or would do this in a minute. What a cool way to celebrate a birthday. Netarts is a neat bay. I hope someone hooks you up with this ride.

Last edited by dbjockey; 06-29-2020 at 11:12 AM.
dbjockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2020, 02:45 PM   #4
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPlainsDrifter View Post
I would go hang out at the boat ramp and just ask some of the boats crabbing, it's a really short trip to the spit.
A couple years ago three college girls approached me at the Garibaldi ramp about getting a ride over to crab harbor. They were doing the trail and wanted to cross rather than go around the bay. A lot of dogs are pretty generous and I can't image having to ask very many to get a ride.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:38 AM   #5
joloni
Chromer

Thanks for the feedback everybody, we'll hang around the launch for a while and see if we can score a ride. Worse case scenario is we just walk the road to cape lookout, not a ton of traffic and nice views along that stretch.
joloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:44 PM   #6
jagosh
Steelhead

Howdy, is the boad ride a necessity for “following” the trail? Just curious why one would just walk around. Not a criticism but rather genuinely curious.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:39 AM   #7
SoylentGreen
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagosh View Post
Howdy, is the boad ride a necessity for “following” the trail? Just curious why one would just walk around. Not a criticism but rather genuinely curious.
not necessary but it would shave off a ton of time and get you off the road. So it's quicker and safer. netarts in particular the spit is immediately across from the ramp and I can't imagine many people telling you "No". If it were me I'd pick up an extra 6 pack at the market there and barter a ride. Bet it wouldn't take 5 minutes.
SoylentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:25 AM   #8
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Walking the beach would be so much better than the road between Netarts and Cape Lookout that I wouldn't consider the road option unless absolutely necessary. Make that 6 pack a 12 pack and you will get across the bay.

Once across the bay it is a nice, quiet walk to Cape Lookout, then the trail up and over, with a recommended walk out to the tip of the Cape at the top. Down to the beach on the South side and you can wade Sand Lake at low tide, back on the beach to Cape Kiwanda and PC.

At the top of Cape Lookout, it is about a two mile trail out to the tip, but the most spectacular view point is a much shorter detour, to a virtually unknown and very special clearing on the South side at the top of a steep slope above a 700 ft cliff.

There is an obscure but short foot trail thru the trees to get to this place from the main trail. It is a half mile walk out the trail from the parking lot on top. 850 to 900 paces. look for a pig trail to the left. Virtually no one knows of this spot. It is unmarked and only about 100 ft off the main trail.

This clearing pretty much has maintained itself as short salal brush for about 35 years since the rainy, foggy morning that a good friend and me created the place with our chainsaws in about an hour.

Created as one of the most spectacular bandito Hang Glider launches on the planet, the cut was well worth the risk and effort as a view point as well. Completely open to the South, to Cape Kiwanda and Cascade Head and beyond, and down to the deep, calm water at the base of the cliff, where on one still morning the tones of a gray whale and her calf conversing below came wafting clearly up the cliff for a half hour or more as I sat on a stump.

Anyway, consider checking this special place out. It is just another patch of illegally gained real estate, but I'll never regret that one. If any other people are on the main trail, just wait until they are out of sight before taking the side trail and you won't have company.
JE

Last edited by Joe Evens; 06-29-2020 at 10:30 PM.
Joe Evens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:02 AM   #9
DogZilla15
King Salmon

SG... Explain the “extra” sixpack theory. That’s a new one to me.

Always wanted to fish that entire beach for perch. Bet there’s a few hot spots on any given day.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:46 PM   #10
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
SG... Explain the “extra” sixpack theory. That’s a new one to me.

Always wanted to fish that entire beach for perch. Bet there’s a few hot spots on any given day.
The South end of the beach is one of the best surf perch places. From the day use area and parking lot to the Cape. Seems like there are always sand crabs and perch in front of that little rock bluff that sticks out of the bank and slopes to the sand, a bit south of the creek. I've walked the whole spit, looking for razors, but never fished North. It's quite a ways up and back.