Cordless Weed Wacker - What's Best - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 05-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #1
Artwo
King Salmon

Default Cordless Weed Wacker - What's Best

I'm wanting to buy a cordless electric weed eater. I don't need a gas one as my yard is only medium size and I only have a few area's where I'd use it......

Battery life and power are my main issues....

What have you guys experienced and what brand would you recommend?

Thanks

Artwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 10:42 AM   #2
jimh
King Salmon

Default Re: Cordless Weed Wacker - What's Best

We have a Ryobi 18V because that’s the brand our drills/saws/etc are. The battery dies pretty quickly, but it is plenty powerful. I’d suggest more than one battery, and of course, there isn’t any reason why you couldn’t just wait for a quick charge assuming your brand does a fast charge.

Most of the time, we just use our gas powered one.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
cascadebull
Tuna!

I have a WORX that I have had for many years. It works for regular trimming but not made for bushwacking foot tall grass and definately not blackberries. It will do it, just not efficiently. Battery life is ok for small yards, but The latest model I just got for my step father came with 2 batteries. Lowes stocks them still I believe. Last one we ordered form WORX website with no problems. Free line spools with the ol pay for shipping catch. I now wind my old spools with a slight mod to a .80 line. Their .65 factory line works just fine too, I just watch Youtube too much where I got the mod idea haha.

If you have batteries for other cordless tools like Jimh, I would go that route as batteries cost almost as much as the tools.
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
garyk
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwo View Post
I'm wanting to buy a cordless electric weed eater. I don't need a gas one as my yard is only medium size and I only have a few area's where I'd use it......

Battery life and power are my main issues....

What have you guys experienced and what brand would you recommend?

Thanks

I have a series of the Greenworks 40V Lithium tools. The mrs wanted a weed trimmer...it works fine for grass/weeds. You get a lot of run time from their batteries. In the case of Greenworks, the batteries ARE more expensive than the tools.

"Our best hatcheries, our most resilient, efficient and lasting hatcheries are in fact healthy rivers."

"Keep Public Lands Public - Now and Forever"
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:09 PM   #5
fop
Ifish Nate

I've had the Worx for several years and like it as my back can't handle much. A battery will do my yard but always put the extra one in my pocket.

fop
fop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:01 PM   #6
Pinstriper
Chromer

Ryobi 40v for the big jobs with a disc. Ryobi 18v with the plastic blades for right around the house and stairs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pinstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:24 PM   #7
Rod Buster
Steelhead

Ryobi 40v, been happy for three years.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:42 PM   #8
LineIsTight
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinstriper View Post
Ryobi 40v for the big jobs with a disc. Ryobi 18v with the plastic blades for right around the house and stairs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
X2

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
LineIsTight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:47 AM   #9
Big Bubba
Chromer

I have been converting from gas powered to battery cordless. Two brands I have are Greenworks and Ryobi. Like both. With the limited battery power, when I am in the market for a new battery powered tool, I make sure the battery needed will match the ones I use for my existing Greenwork or Ryobi tools. That way I have more then one battery for the tool. If the first battery discharges, I have a second in the charger ready to go. When the second one runs dry, I have the first one recharged.

The costs for these cordless tools is in the batteries, so make sure they are interchangeable. Not all will be even with same brand. Also, spend a little more to get the better batteries.
Big Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:08 AM   #10
Fish mojo
Ifish Nate

Lowe’s Kobalt 80v series. I have the lawnmower, blower, and string trimmer. Great battery life and powerful. Highly recommended. Check the reviews on line
"I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
Fish mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:19 AM   #11
Fishsizzle
Chromer

EGO with carbon fiber shaft and auto load string is awesome. We use ours weekly, you wold throw the Ryobi away after trying the EGO, We did anyway

Last edited by Fishsizzle; 05-23-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #12
Amahnee
King Salmon

Awhile back I was in OC Home Depot and they had a half dozen Echo 58v trimmers that were normally $271 on close-out for $50. I bought one, but I should have bought two. My mindset has been we have a lot of oil left and by golly, I'll use it till I die! I've had a Husqvarna 2-stroke since 2001 that has given great service, but I left the tank dry all winter and she wouldn't start this spring. I didn't feel like cleaning the carb, so I broke out this Echo. I had tried to sell it here on ifish, on CL, and Nextdoor for $100 without luck and I'm glad I didn't. This thing kicks butt and does a better job than the gas trimmer ever did. I love it.

The Husqvarna could be running fine again with a new carb kit off Amazon for $20 and a half hour to swap them out. If anyone is interested, let me know? 😉
Amahnee is offline   Reply With Quote