Semi-Official 2020 Spring Bear Thread - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 03-14-2020, 07:22 PM   #1
SouthCoastStu
Ifish Nate

Thumbs up Semi-Official 2020 Spring Bear Thread

'Bout time to kick-off a thread for Spring Bear

This is the first year I've purchased a tag. I'll be giving it a try in the Tioga Unit. Been learning a new little honey hole the last several years and have noticed a lot of sign and saw a few Bear last year. Cougars too.

Is there a particular exposure that is better for Bear? I would think southern in the spring? Mostly feeding on grasses? Is morning or evening more productive?

Can't wait to get out I'm thinking I should wait for the new moon that starts around 4/18 to get really serious.

Good luck to everyone

SouthCoastStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2020, 08:26 PM   #2
Joe
King Salmon

Default Re: Semi-Official 2020 Spring Bear Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCoastStu View Post
'Bout time to kick-off a thread for Spring Bear

This is the first year I've purchased a tag. I'll be giving it a try in the Tioga Unit. Been learning a new little honey hole the last several years and have noticed a lot of sign and saw a few Bear last year. Cougars too.

Is there a particular exposure that is better for Bear? I would think southern in the spring? Mostly feeding on grasses? Is morning or evening more productive?

Can't wait to get out I'm thinking I should wait for the new moon that starts around 4/18 to get really serious.

Good luck to everyone
I'm getting excited to get out and do some hunting! Can't decide if I will hunt with the bow, 30-30, muzzleloader or just get down to business with the .308.

First half of the season I would say evening is way more productive. Southern exposure and some new growth is good. I wouldn't give any thought to the moon phase, based on many years of running trail cams I don't think Spring bears are very active at night regardless of moon phase.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:20 AM   #3
SouthCoastStu
Ifish Nate

Thumbs up Re: Semi-Official 2020 Spring Bear Thread

Thanks for the advice

I found a very inaccessible valley a long way from any open roads (not easy to find in the coast range). It's close to a 3 mile hike back into it. I bought a Seek Outside Titanium wood stove almost 3 years ago and have never used it yet. I also just got a connecting tarp to go with my SO LBO. Looking forward to "self-isolating" for a few long weekends in April
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2020, 09:45 AM   #4
BowTaco
Steelhead

That sounds fun, I’m also trying to get as isolated as I can. I drew sw, so I have been escouting a bunch and have a few spots to keep me busy.
BowTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #5
Santiam338
Sturgeon

Pack plenty of permethrin with ya...Going to be a BAD tick year..
Old 03-15-2020, 10:33 PM   #6
Hogan7381
Fry

Any thoughts on the S Blues? Just relocated over to central oregon and am not familiar with most of the units. Desolation is all I really know but with having a baby recently I think I was a bit too hopeful to get the time away I thought I might. Im most likely going to be reduced to day hunting the Ochoco or Grizzly unit. Ive done some scouting up around round mountain and big summit prairie, but have never been in there and actually seen any bears. Is there a decent population annually in these units? Or should I focus my time on earning a weekend away and going to desolation or heppner, two units I know better? Any advice is much appreciated.
Hogan7381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:48 AM   #7
StrawberryMTN
Steelhead

So...Who is hunting my spots around Coos Bay/Reedsport?
StrawberryMTN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:19 AM   #8
SouthCoastStu
Ifish Nate

Wink Re: Semi-Official 2020 Spring Bear Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryMTN View Post
So...Who is hunting my spots around Coos Bay/Reedsport?
Send me some coordinates and I'll let you know
Old 03-16-2020, 08:03 AM   #9
uhmw
King Salmon

No plans to hunt. ODFW combined the metro area bear hunts to get more application $ and they instantly became hard to draw. I have lots of time to hunt with no where to go.
uhmw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:36 AM   #10
riverratt33
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhmw View Post
No plans to hunt. ODFW combined the metro area bear hunts to get more application $ and they instantly became hard to draw. I have lots of time to hunt with no where to go.
There's always Turkeys, and Cougars eat quite well. Get out there and have some fun..
riverratt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #11
in 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I'm getting excited to get out and do some hunting! Can't decide if I will hunt with the bow, 30-30, muzzleloader or just get down to business with the .308.
Or whether to wear leather boots or RUBBER BOOTS!?

Looking forward to the official thread...or Santiam's approval to make this one THE official thread.

I've got a SW tag, as does my dad, we'll see if we can find one for him or a kiddo to shoot. Just looking forward to getting out and about.
in 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:09 PM   #12
SouthCoastStu
Ifish Nate

Talking Re: Semi-Official 2020 Spring Bear Thread

I took the 30-06 out last weekend to punch some paper - good to go if need be. The suppressor for the Tikka Super Lite in 300 WM should be getting here any week now
Old 03-16-2020, 03:52 PM   #13
uhmw
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverratt33 View Post
There's always Turkeys, and Cougars eat quite well. Get out there and have some fun..
Ill be camping, fishing, shooting and ATV riding. I wont let ODFW ruin my fun while finding clever ways to charge me more for less.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:11 PM   #14
QuazyQuinton
Tuna!

Quote:
No plans to hunt. ODFW combined the metro area bear hunts to get more application $ and they instantly became hard to draw. I have lots of time to hunt with no where to go. All I get is a chip on my shoulder for my tax contributions to Governor Brown and her department.
Ifish has more to do with you not drawing a bear tag than some ODFW conspiracy.

QQ
Old 03-16-2020, 05:08 PM   #15
Joe
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by in 'em View Post
Or whether to wear leather boots or RUBBER BOOTS!?

Looking forward to the official thread...or Santiam's approval to make this one THE official thread.

I've got a SW tag, as does my dad, we'll see if we can find one for him or a kiddo to shoot. Just looking forward to getting out and about.
I actually just broke out some new Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and I just might wear them a time or two. Only on dry days of course...
Old 03-17-2020, 09:21 AM   #16
uhmw
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuazyQuinton View Post

QQ
No Quazy It has every thing to do with ODFW. In past years the trask unit was a sure draw in spring as were several other metro units. This year they combined it with a bunch of other metro units to increase the # of application fees the department could collect. Ifish is a venue that can provide checks and balances to governor Browns loyal metro driven department that will probably bail due to the virus .

Last edited by uhmw; 03-17-2020 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:07 AM   #17
QuazyQuinton
Tuna!

Quote:
No Quazy It has every thing to do with ODFW. In past years the trask unit was a sure draw in spring as were several other metro units. This year they combined it with a bunch of other metro units to increase the # of application fees the department could collect.
Not to disrupt your passionate rant with actual facts, but....

1. Glad you brought up the Trask unit, since that is where I live and hunt. I used to be able to draw a Trask spring bear tag as a second choice pretty consistently. While I waited for the eastside tag I was after, I could hunt the Trask unit every spring. Over the past few years, the Trask unit tag has become more difficult to draw. For a few years, I have not been able to get the tag as a second choice any more. For the past couple years, there have been more first choice applicants than tags, so some people have not drawn as a first choice. There is a long-term increase in demand for this tag, and it is getting harder to draw.

2. For the life of me, I can't see how combining the metro area spring bear tags is an attempt to bring in more application fees. As discussed previously here on Ifish, the total number of tags is the same. Are you suggesting there are significantly more people who now want the tag since the units are combined? Maybe, but I'd have to see that to be convinced. I preferred the hunts to be separate, but I don't see how it increases application numbers.

3. While you may see Ifish as a political checks and balance mechanism against state government (I don't have much faith in that.), you are missing that Ifish is much more a venue where spring bear hunting is discussed and promoted. How many people have seen Joe's spring bears pictures or In 'em's videos or Santiam338's stories and decided to give it a try? My point is that Ifish has attracted more attention to spring bear hunting, and this leads to more applicants for every spring bear tag. This is good for hunting overall, even though it means I get fewer tags.

I'm sorry you didn't get your tag this year. My guess is that when the point summary is released, you will see that you are part of the unlucky 5% or 10% who didn't draw. That's disappointing, but when applicant numbers exceed tag numbers, somebody has to be unlucky. I've never looked at the numbers to verify, but my sense is that spring bear hunting is becoming more popular overall, and that is going to make spring bear tags more difficult to obtain. Some things can be explained without an ODFW conspiracy theory.

QQ
Old 03-17-2020, 10:30 AM   #18
QuazyQuinton
Tuna!

Just to follow up on my previous post, after I sent it, I scrolled back up the thread to the top. The original poster, SouthCoastStu, said in his first post, "This is the first year I've purchased a tag." Hmm, an Ifisher getting a spring bear tag for the first time. So SCS got a tag as a first-timer this year, but that means that someone else, who probably has more experience than SCS, didn't get a tag they wanted. Good for SCS, but somewhere someone is saying, "That #@!% ODFW didn't give me the #@!% tag that I #@!% deserve!"

QQ
Old 03-17-2020, 10:50 AM   #19
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
"...the #@!% tag that I #@!% deserve!"
That goes to the heart of the matter

Rephrasing J.G. Wentworth:
"It's my tag and I want it now!"

I wonder if there has been consideration that some on ifish actually wanted the consolidation of these separate controlled hunts to occur; it broadens the area that one can choose to hunt in when one draws the tag.

Probably not.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:15 PM   #20
SouthCoastStu
Ifish Nate

Smile Re: Semi-Official 2020 Spring Bear Thread

Quote:
Just to follow up on my previous post, after I sent it, I scrolled back up the thread to the top. The original poster, SouthCoastStu, said in his first post, "This is the first year I've purchased a tag." Hmm, an Ifisher getting a spring bear tag for the first time. So SCS got a tag as a first-timer this year, but that means that someone else, who probably has more experience than SCS, didn't get a tag they wanted. Good for SCS, but somewhere someone is saying, "That #@!% ODFW didn't give me the #@!% tag that I #@!% deserve!"

QQ
A couple of things:

First, I didn't put in for a tag because of anything posted here. I have previously posted that a blew an opportunity at a point by choosing SW as a first choice when I probably could have drawn as second choice. We'll see when the point summary comes out, but I believe SW is 100% for second choice (I could be wrong).

Second, I made a conscience decision about 4 years ago to spend more time/effort/money on hunting rather than fishing. Probably has a lot to do with having a Son that likes to hunt but not so much into fishing. In my 20's and mid-30's I use to hunt more than fish. Somewhere along the line that changed. Probably had something to do with moving to the Oregon Coast. I've now grown bored with fishing for the most part and want to have more hunting adventures. For me, Spring bear is just an excuse to get out into the woods to have some fun, check out new gear and learn an area better. I honestly don't care that much if I get a Bear, I'd rather eat Deer and Elk anyways

But to your point, I think there are always people getting in/out of an activity for various reasons. We all have unique life circumstances.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:16 PM   #21
backpackhunter
Steelhead

I've got the SW OR tag this year. Which is a large area. Will spend the weekend of the 18th down in the Applegate unit calling turkeys into archery range at my friends place, then the afternoons looking for bear up the mountain from him with the rifle....practicing with 356W, 35 Whelen, and 7mmRM but not sure which one I'll use as primary this year. Not sure where I'll spend the rest of spring bear within the SW region. Probably some in Indigo once the snow melts in the areas that I know. Maybe do some scouting Dixon and Rogue too. Spring bear opens in 15 days so it's coming up fast. Granted bears may not be awake yet in much of the unit....and access will be iffy in much of the mountain regions of the SW units for awhile. Got a new bear call that I may try later season. Looking forward to getting out hunting again.
backpackhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:06 PM   #22
uhmw
King Salmon

Quote:

1. Glad you brought up the Trask unit, since that is where I live and hunt. I used to be able to draw a Trask spring bear tag as a second choice pretty consistently. While I waited for the eastside tag I was after, I could hunt the Trask unit every spring. Over the past few years, the Trask unit tag has become more difficult to draw. For a few years, I have not been able to get the tag as a second choice any more. For the past couple years, there have been more first choice applicants than tags, so some people have not drawn as a first choice. There is a long-term increase in demand for this tag, and it is getting harder to draw.

2. For the life of me, I can't see how combining the metro area spring bear tags is an attempt to bring in more application fees. As discussed previously here on Ifish, the total number of tags is the same. Are you suggesting there are significantly more people who now want the tag since the units are combined? Maybe, but I'd have to see that to be convinced. I preferred the hunts to be separate, but I don't see how it increases application numbers.
QQ

Hmm Doesn't hunting the NW region to include the high country cascades near rim rock around mt Hood all the way down towards Detroit , across to the freaking coast sound a lot more appealing then just the Wilson trask??? Heck I bet some guys saw that and thought Heck ya I will apply. I might get out that way fishin and I could bring the 5.56 to hunt for a day. They were the few local metro units that were easy to draw spring bear hunts and now are not. Do you get your points back if the season gets canceled on account of the corona cause, 0 pts is slim Pickens now.?? Im surprised anyone would still be showing up at the department to conduct what Governor brown considers non essential business. I could see the tax supported employees at ODFW jumping on the furlough bus any time now. They will be ok though cause they are tax supported. Don't get me started on ODFW administrators and their pay and tax suported retirement benefits. That will be for another thread. I have to get some public info first.

Last edited by uhmw; 03-17-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:18 PM   #23
StrawberryMTN
Steelhead

This is my first year applying for a spring tag...I drew SW.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #24
sprigdog
Chromer

Quote:

QQ
Spot on. The “this bear hunting thing is cool, because I saw pics on Ifish” crowd is why I didn’t draw either.
50% wont even hunt. 25% will drive around in the woods twice on weekends.
15% will go around 3 times.
The same 10% will hunt often and probably be successful or pass on bears.
Yes, I’m pretty pizzed I didn’t draw.
sprigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:37 PM   #25
jjelkhorn
Chromer

[QUOTE=SouthCoastStu;16285363]A couple of things:

First, I didn't put in for a tag because of anything posted here. I have previously posted that a blew an opportunity at a point by choosing SW as a first choice when I probably could have drawn as second choice. We'll see when the point summary comes out, but I believe SW is 100% for second choice (I could be wrong).

Last year there were 335 tags available for second choice applicants and there were 835 applicants for a 40% chance.

Good luck out there!
jjelkhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:05 PM   #26
SouthCoastStu
Ifish Nate

Question Re: Semi-Official 2020 Spring Bear Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryMTN View Post
This is my first year applying for a spring tag...I drew SW.
First choice?
Old 03-17-2020, 04:59 PM   #27
Joe
King Salmon

Quote:

3. While you may see Ifish as a political checks and balance mechanism against state government (I don't have much faith in that.), you are missing that Ifish is much more a venue where spring bear hunting is discussed and promoted. How many people have seen Joe's spring bears pictures or In 'em's videos or Santiam338's stories and decided to give it a try? My point is that Ifish has attracted more attention to spring bear hunting, and this leads to more applicants for every spring bear tag. This is good for hunting overall, even though it means I get fewer tags.

I'm sorry you didn't get your tag this year. My guess is that when the point summary is released, you will see that you are part of the unlucky 5% or 10% who didn't draw. That's disappointing, but when applicant numbers exceed tag numbers, somebody has to be unlucky. I've never looked at the numbers to verify, but my sense is that spring bear hunting is becoming more popular overall, and that is going to make spring bear tags more difficult to obtain. Some things can be explained without an ODFW conspiracy theory.

QQ
Guilty as charged. When I posted my first youtube video I knew it was a mistake if I looked at it from a selfish perspective. Someday soon I will not draw "my" tag due in part to sharing about Spring Bear hunting. Hopefully enough people benefited in a positive way that it will have been worth it.

Realistically I see no reason to not increase tag numbers as a very small percentage of people put in much effort. Hopefully we will see some increases to meet the demand! Plenty of bears...
Old 03-17-2020, 05:03 PM   #28
Santiam338
Sturgeon

Semi-official is cool,unless it gets to far off track..

We'll see... A "official" thread may become necessary.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:14 PM   #29
Santiam338
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Guilty as charged. .

And you are not guilty of anything... The rise in popularity of spring bear hunting has far more to do with the dwindling populations of deer and elk and the rise in the popularity of long range shooting..

Glassing large expanses of real estate for bear is right up the long range shooters alley.. A tailor made hunt for those guys..

My 2 cents..
Old 03-17-2020, 06:04 PM   #30
sprigdog
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiam338 View Post
And you are not guilty of anything... The rise in popularity of spring bear hunting has far more to do with the dwindling populations of deer and elk and the rise in the popularity of long range shooting..

Glassing large expanses of real estate for bear is right up the long range shooters alley.. A tailor made hunt for those guys..

My 2 cents..
BS.

Look at the harvest statistics and hunter days and hunters.
Less than 50% actually hunt.

I challenge you to find a “horned critter” with the same percentage.
People apply, draw, and have no desire to even try.
I’ve been successful 4 out of 5 last years on bears. I thoroughly enjoy spring season.
Can you imagine people drawing a Norrhside or Heppner deer or elk tag and only 50% actually going hunting? Folks who didn’t draw would not be happy.
Count me as the guy who isn’t happy.
Ridiculous.

Last edited by sprigdog; 03-17-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:25 PM   #31
Santiam338
Sturgeon

I think that is a problem you need to take up with the game commission and not with us bear hunters..Not sure what that has to do with us..

Actually the game commission sets tag numbers using harvest numbers and success rates.. The lower the success rate the more tags they can sell, so they probably like it when folks don't go bear hunting.. Lowers the success rate and they raise the tag numbers..

They just decided that everyone can have TWO fall bear tags good for the entire state...If they think the population can sustain that,there is no logical argument for a spring controlled hunt.. Should be a general season and run into the middle of June..

I for one am going to take advantage of the two fall bear tags and go back for the sagebrush bears...I usually pass on average bears,but with two tags I can be a tad less picky. More fun over there anyway and less ticks than the coast.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:31 PM   #32
sprigdog
Chromer

Quote:
I think that is a problem you need to take up with the game commission and not with us bear hunters..Not sure what that has to do with us..

Actually the game commission sets tag numbers using harvest numbers and success rates.. The lower the success rate the more tags they can sell, so they probably like it when folks don't go bear hunting.. Lowers the success rate and they raise the tag numbers..

They just decided that everyone can have TWO fall bear tags good for the entire state...If they think the population can sustain that,there is no logical argument for a spring controlled hunt.. Should be a general season and run into the middle of June..

I for one am going to take advantage of the two fall bear tags and go back for the sagebrush bears...I usually pass on average bears,but with two tags I can be a tad less picky. More fun over there anyway and less ticks than the coast.
I have no problem with “bear hunters”.
I have a problem with people who think they want to be bear hunters, draw tags, and don’t bear hunt.
Fall bear hunting ain’t Spring bear hunting.
Not even close. Non fat veal versus Vaseline encased rankness.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:57 PM   #33
RandyT
Steelhead

I realize my opinion means exactly diddly, but I for one sure hope this does not become the “official” spring bear thread. It’s one of the last great threads on here that so far to now hasn’t been turned upside down.
Just my
RandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:03 PM   #34
tailchaser
Sturgeon

Here I thought I was going to read about Bear hunting...was quickly reminded it’s ifish with the same people arguing about ODFW and the same ones defending it. My only addition to that discussion is there shouldn’t even be limits on spring tags. More dead bears = more fawn survival.

Back to the original topic, for the beginning bear crowd out there, early season bears are eating heavily on grass so open knolls with green up are prime to spot a Bruin. As the weather warms in May start looking for areas with torn up logs and middle age cuts. Bears start to grub more so pay attention to ripped up logs in clear cuts to verify a bear is in the region. Get good glass and use it.

Tc
tailchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:14 AM   #35
BowTaco
Steelhead

Had the day off yesterday, so decided to go scout an area for opening weekend. Spotted a really small guy at 800 yards. I have not punched a bear tag yet, but I definitely would have passed on this little guy with German Shepard ears. Excited for the official thread to start, hopefully cat killer gets some big ones again. I’m dreaming about a bear of that caliber.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:28 AM   #36
Rosco2469
Cutthroat

Quote:
I took the 30-06 out last weekend to punch some paper - good to go if need be. The suppressor for the Tikka Super Lite in 300 WM should be getting here any week now

You will love the suppressed 300wm.
Rosco2469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:42 AM   #37
SouthCoastStu
Ifish Nate

Cool Re: Semi-Official 2020 Spring Bear Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco2469 View Post
You will love the suppressed 300wm.
They cashed my check on 9/5. I'm thinking maybe the virus thing is going to throw things off?

That Superlite kicks like a mule, can't wait to see how much the brake/suppressor calms it down....
Old 03-18-2020, 06:57 AM   #38
StrawberryMTN
Steelhead

Quote:
First choice?
Correct
Old 03-18-2020, 10:24 AM   #39
Chad717
Fry

Quote:

My 2 cents..
Chad717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:25 AM   #40
Chad717
Fry

Spot on
Chad717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:48 AM   #41
daniel81
Steelhead

Quote:
They cashed my check on 9/5. I'm thinking maybe the virus thing is going to throw things off?

That Superlite kicks like a mule, can't wait to see how much the brake/suppressor calms it down....
I was kicking around the idea of putting a can on my Tikka but was told it’s not a good idea on such a thin barrel. Was I misinformed?
Thanks
daniel81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:54 AM   #42
SouthCoastStu
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel81 View Post
I was kicking around the idea of putting a can on my Tikka but was told it’s not a good idea on such a thin barrel. Was I misinformed?
Thanks
I'll let you know.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:25 PM   #43
tailchaser
Sturgeon

Pretty sure the issue about the tikka is the ability to thread it properly and leave enough meat on the barrel to work like it’s supposed to. If it gets cut too deep the thinner wall could be an issue for accuracy.

I took mine to a very good gunsmith and had a tight tolerance setup. It’s currently shooting great. My can should be here in the next few months so I’ll report back on it. I’ve been discussing trimming the barrel lately with the added length of the can. I’m not sure though if it’s going to burn all of the powder so I’m still debating it and researching.

Tc
tailchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:59 AM   #44
in 'em

Santiam, start an official thread at your leisure....

I'll keep this comment here on this sidetracked bear thread...one consideration as I follow the news closely for work...is if they announce a shelter in place order here at some point, going hunting would likely not be deemed "essential travel"...I'm guessing......which would not be cool. Depending on how strict they enforce it of course. They've already done this in CA, NY, Italy, and it seems what's happened there follows here a week later. I've also heard closing I-5 is on the docket, but that one's a little deeper in the weeds. I'd like to say "no wayyyy", but given what's already happened I can't say that any longer. Just a crazy time.
in 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 01:58 PM   #45
mtn300
Ifish Nate

We have 8 wenaha spring bear tags so we will do our best to help the dawn and calf survival rate.
mtn300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:26 PM   #46
jlg
Tuna!

They waived the check in requirement for bear and cougar today. One just needs to call. Sounds good to me. I just hope I get to hunt and use the streamlined process. Good boars on my cameras. I need some bear jerky! I'm all out of last year's.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
jlg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:29 PM   #47
BowTaco
Steelhead

I plan to leave straight from work to hunt the weekends, and come back to work for the week. If we get a shelter in place order, I’ll just travel in my scrubs 😂
Old 03-20-2020, 08:43 PM   #48
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

They said it is fine for people to take hikes, I will just be taking my rifle along..........

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:08 AM   #49
Sneaker
Tuna!

Quote:

Factory pad?
Sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:45 AM   #50
SouthCoastStu
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaker View Post
Factory pad?
Yes. When I ordered the can I asked my gun smith about installing a new pad. He said I wouldn't need it. We'll see....
Old 03-21-2020, 08:00 PM   #51
444Marlin
Tuna!

Quote:
They've already done this in CA, NY, Italy, and it seems what's happened there follows here a week later. I've also heard closing I-5 is on the docket, but that one's a little deeper in the weeds. I'd like to say "no wayyyy", but given what's already happened I can't say that any longer. Just a crazy time.
Spending a little time out in the woods sounds good in times like these, but I'm worried about if things got goofy with my friends/family while I was a couple hours from the home. If the wife or kids got sick while I'm off the grid, it would be be pretty bad. Plus, work hours have been cut way back...so if we get back to something resembling 'normal', I might have to make up for lost hours.

Sorry to to one of those guys who holds a tag who might not make it out...but sometimes we need to adapt to what life throws at us.
444Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:12 PM   #52
jagermiester
Steelhead

Quote:
Santiam, start an official thread at your leisure....

I'll keep this comment here on this sidetracked bear thread...one consideration as I follow the news closely for work...is if they announce a shelter in place order here at some point, going hunting would likely not be deemed "essential travel"...I'm guessing......which would not be cool. Depending on how strict they enforce it of course. They've already done this in CA, NY, Italy, and it seems what's happened there follows here a week later. I've also heard closing I-5 is on the docket, but that one's a little deeper in the weeds. I'd like to say "no wayyyy", but given what's already happened I can't say that any longer. Just a crazy time.
Shelter in Place -Stay Home (keeping people away from people)
"Federal guidelines give state and local authorities leeway in what they consider "essential" businesses during an emergency. But in general, those industries include grocery stores and food production, pharmacies, health care, utilities, shipping, banking, other governmental services, law enforcement, emergency personnel and journalists." USA Today

Hunting for Food= Grocery Store/Food Production
Where else are you going to get organic Turkey/Bear Meat????
jagermiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:41 PM   #53
458win
Tuna!

Well couldn’t find a grizzly out and about. Did come across a couple fox... pile of moose, herd of caribou and a few flocks of ptarmigan. Going to be snowed in for a few days... will try again this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABDA06CF-1320-4A5A-991B-2E726807607D.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	742331   Click image for larger version

Name:	25E95CF8-514B-4D8D-9A75-F3B1380F9455.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	742333  
Old 03-26-2020, 06:09 AM   #54
SouthCoastStu
Ifish Nate

Cool Re: Semi-Official 2020 Spring Bear Thread

Nice! Alaska? What region?
Old 03-31-2020, 09:52 PM   #55
BarbDeep
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
BS.

Look at the harvest statistics and hunter days and hunters.
Less than 50% actually hunt.

The reason there is people who don't go, is because they have never been... bit of a yogiism (wow I'm on a roll)!! There isn't a better time to be in the hills than spring, and having a bear tag in your back pocket, makes it that much better. It's unfortunate so many draw tags and then go over to drive around for a day or two, or don't even go at all.. Their loss!