How many years are you willing to wait to hunt? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

View Poll Results: How long are you willing to wait for a tag (deer)?
I already quit hunting due to this factor. 6 8.11%
2 years 36 48.65%
4 years 11 14.86%
6 years 2 2.70%
8 years 1 1.35%
>10 years 18 24.32%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2020, 06:57 PM   #1
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Default How many years are you willing to wait to hunt?

This is the second part of my other poll, while success rates for deer may be high enough for you, the wait between tags is the second part of the equation.

As ODF&W will have to continue ratchet down on tags or make all hunting controlled hunts, the chances of drawing will most likely get longer and longer.

Many fall back on general hunts, but if they go away, just how long do you wait and still remain interested?

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 07:26 PM   #2
Bbkiller89
Steelhead

Default Re: How many years are you willing to wait to hunt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rank Amateur View Post
This is the second part of my other poll, while success rates for deer may be high enough for you, the wait between tags is the second part of the equation.

As ODF&W will have to continue ratchet down on tags or make all hunting controlled hunts, the chances of drawing will most likely get longer and longer.

Many fall back on general hunts, but if they go away, just how long do you wait and still remain interested?
The idea of having to wait to hunt Oregon is not one I like to think about. I guess on a positive note Oregon will always have plenty of predators to hunt at this rate!
Bbkiller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:37 PM   #3
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbkiller89 View Post
The idea of having to wait to hunt Oregon is not one I like to think about. I guess on a positive note Oregon will always have plenty of predators to hunt at this rate!
Predator hunting is my retirement plan, so far they haven't messed that up, but they will become less too as the game herds continue the decline.

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 07:56 PM   #4
444Marlin
Tuna!

0 wasn't an option. I wouldn't wait to hunt. I'd seek out OTC tags in other states. I currently hunt WA and OR, and will likely start hitting some of the other western states in the next few years.
444Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:10 PM   #5
raised2hunt
Chromer

I actually haven't hunted east for deer in 7 years. I've had some youth hunts, general season blacktail tags, and elk tags to keep me busy. As soon as I decide to burn my deer points, I'd be okay only hunting east for deer every 2 or 3 years, but I would really want an east side elk tag every year so I can set up the wall tent, burn fire wood, and drink coffee.
raised2hunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:35 PM   #6
Flatfish
King Salmon

I have not hunted deer in 10 years. Maybe in another 5-10 more, I will find a tag worth a gamble.

Warner was the plan. If we get a few good winters in a row, and predators are kept in check....
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:54 PM   #7
joe_camo
King Salmon

Hunting small game provides long seasons and full freezers.

"You're a winner as long as you squeeze every drop out of the opportunity"
joe_camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:35 AM   #8
Reel fortunate
Ifish Nate

0 - wasn't and option I noticed also. I too don't condone the thought of not hunting. In my opinion when there are not a lot of animals I find myself being more selective on my standards and won't just kill somthing to kill somthing.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:26 AM   #9
Timber hunter
Ifish Nate

My average wait for the last 25 years has been 7 years in between mule deer tags. I’ve never been interested in any of the hunts that are overcrowded so I typically muzzle loader hunt. I would wait 10 years if I thought it would be an awesome hunt with multiple opportunities a nice bucks. But I’m not holding my breath. The hunting just gets worse and it’s taking to draw a tag. I’m at 5 points no with zero interest in drawing anything Oregon has to offer today.i will continue to apply for a muzzle loader tag simply because I don’t like to be crowded. The hunts are no better than rifle hunts as far as trophy quality but way fewer people to contend with. It will likely be another 5-7 yeas till my next muzzy tag.
If I couldn’t hunt the Cascades while waiting for a tag I wouldn’t be as patient. But I seem to do just as good or better with my rifle in the Cascades as I do on the muzzle loader hunts.
If everything went to draw I would probably not have to wait as long in between muzzle loader hunts. More people would have to choose to hunt or not hunt therefore burning up the points they’re banking, pretty much eliminating point saver options for them selves. Point savers would be for people who don’t care if they hunt or people who don’t hunt and are just a way to gain an edge as happens now. I wouldn’t mind not hunting deer for a few years to improve the quality of the hunt.

I’ve never been one to be excited just to be out there, I do that all years long. When it’s time to hunt I want to see what I’m hunting for. If your one who doesn’t care if you kill anything or not, ask ODFyW to offer antelope tags in the coast range and have a ball. You won’t kill anything but your hunting.

I stopped applying for typical antelope hunts Oregon after I drew, premium only for me. 15 years is way to long to wait for an antelope hunt. I was looking at 20-25 years till my next tag. I Would rather gamble in a premium tag.

Last edited by Timber hunter; 02-14-2020 at 06:02 AM.
Timber hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:42 AM   #10
Kenamatic
Tuna!

0 would be my choice also. A bad day (short of an accident) hunting is WAY better than working in a cubical. I don't feel I need to shoot or see monster bucks every day in order to have a successful season. If that is my desire I can always go to another state and hunt a private ranch for monster whitetails.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:02 AM   #11
SquarePeg
Tuna!

0, my choice, isn't on the list.

I'll put in for a "good" hunt but while I'm waiting, I'm hunting.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:06 AM   #12
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Another zero here.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:33 AM   #13
TheKnigit
Coho

0 would have been my choice also. I would be willing to wait 2 years for a deer tag, as long as there are other critters that I can chase. Whether that is small game, birds, elk or predators.
TheKnigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:58 AM   #14
Cathunter1
Ifish Nate

How would a state change draw system .And just go random pulls.Applicants with max points would want the system to stay the same ,but when their points were used I bet the answer would change .And people with lower points ,bet they would want a random pull at Draw.RA maybe you can start a poll on a new type draw system .Sorry for the detour .
Cathunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:03 AM   #15
mtn300
Ifish Nate

I would wait 5 to 10 years for a tag IF the quality was really good. As of now I won’t shoot a mule deer in Oregon due to numbers being so low. Time to stop being selfish and do what is best for game populations. Limited hunting is one of the few things we can control at this point. Yes predators are an issue but that is partially out of our hands. While you wait it would be a good opportunity to explore what other states have to offer for hunting 👍👍👍👍
mtn300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:27 AM   #16
Flatfish
King Salmon

Quality opportunity is relative to points.

For a shot at a tag every other year, I don't expect 30" bucks behind every tree. But there needs to be deer out there. Otherwise it's just a camping trip.

For a tag I wait 15+ years for, the expectation of the size of antlers is different than a 0-2 point tag.

As an example, we had 16 points for antelope and did the Warner hunt. Easily exceeded expectations. Totally worth the wait in my eyes.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:38 AM   #17
oregonoutdoors
Tuna!

I archery hunted every year with some decent success while waiting for a mule deer rut hunt. It took 18 years of waiting for that tag. I hunted blacktails in the rut every year that I hadn't already killed a mule deer during the early season. Oregon does allow for plenty of opportunity for a guy that embraces the opportunity. We simply don't have the herd strength to allow for increased quality opportunities during the rut ect.
oregonoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:47 AM   #18
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn300 View Post
While you wait it would be a good opportunity to explore what other states have to offer for hunting 👍👍👍👍
Many of us have been doing that most of our lives
Old 02-14-2020, 10:00 AM   #19
switchback00
Tuna!

Default How many years are you willing to wait to hunt?

Go out of state and hunt. You will get some real perspective of where Oregon is currently. Your eyes will be opened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2020, 09:27 AM   #20
Beer Waggin
Ifish Nate

I currently have 16 deer points... nothing in Oregon has me excited enough to apply.

I’ll likely use the points to mentor my son somewhere. He’ll get to have the memory for a lot longer than I will.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:36 AM   #21
Oregon-Jet
Tuna!

Im the same as Beer Waggin only I have 13 points, have been scouting for a few years and cams in 3 units looking for the "one" when I find him ill apply.

><((((~>~~~><((((~> ~~~><((((~>
Winter's coming. Steelhead fishing is on !
Oregon-Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:48 AM   #22
outdrzman
Coho

Another zero here...I'm an archery hunter and get OTC. Though I do have a few points for the Ochoco archery elk I haven't applied for a couple of years.
outdrzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:52 PM   #23
chromebright
Tuna!

In my current theme of ODFW bashing I'll say this... Yes, in the short term, until deer, buck, and bull to cow ratios increase there would be some increased wait times for tags, BUT once MOs were changed and brought up to levels consistent with other states both the quantity and quality of hunting would be soooo much better I think the short term pains would be forgotten about.

I can't even begin to explain what the mule deer hunting is like in CO compared to Oregon. You'd have to see it first hand to believe it. A resident their can hunt a 2nd choice tag every year that blows away ANYTHING Oregon has to offer.

Until Oregon drastically changes their MOs it's just ******* in the wind.
chromebright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:58 PM   #24
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromebright View Post
In my current theme of ODFW bashing I'll say this... Yes, in the short term, until deer, buck, and bull to cow ratios increase there would be some increased wait times for tags, BUT once MOs were changed and brought up to levels consistent with other states both the quantity and quality of hunting would be soooo much better I think the short term pains would be forgotten about.

I can't even begin to explain what the mule deer hunting is like in CO compared to Oregon. You'd have to see it first hand to believe it. A resident their can hunt a 2nd choice tag every year that blows away ANYTHING Oregon has to offer.

Until Oregon drastically changes their MOs it's just ******* in the wind.
Scoutdog and I both think they will be changing the MO's, downward.............

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:39 PM   #25
Blacktail Slayer
Sturgeon

Quote:
Scoutdog and I both think they will be changing the MO's, downward.............
I don't care if ODFW has the population MOs stay the same, decreased, or increased as long as vegetation surveys and habitat assessments are completed. This will take time and partnering with BLM, FS, and some large landowners if permission can be gained. In the meantime tag numbers should be dropped, seasons shortened, archery go controlled, and limit technology in certain areas.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:58 PM   #26
Bbkiller89
Steelhead

I got hated on a lot for asking the question about youth hunts and how the first time hunter program could have 300 youth hunting the steens or the interstate on top of the tag quota that people draw. How is that helping our herds? The youth rut hunts are targeting only Mature deer. But I was the bad guy for thinking they need to get rid of these as well.

Step one no doe or cow hunts period.

Step two no first time hunter tags. Yes I understand guys will hat this but I have helped youth on these tags kill deer that otherwise would not have been killed and could have bread more does.

Step 3 find a way to motivate people to do more predator hunting and get some
Kind of program going to get more predators managed with a lot higher success rate for managing cats.

Step 4 start these for a time period and see what happens to the numbers. Before we turn the entire state into a draw.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:53 AM   #27
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Bbkiller.... You won't get any hate mail from me. I think there's a lot of folks on your side. You forgot land owner preference and damage control tags and maybe some other stuff. I don't really know what all is out there because I don't participate in any of it.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:37 AM   #28
Timber hunter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
I got hated on a lot for asking the question about youth hunts and how the first time hunter program could have 300 youth hunting the steens or the interstate on top of the tag quota that people draw. How is that helping our herds? The youth rut hunts are targeting only Mature deer. But I was the bad guy for thinking they need to get rid of these as well.

Step two no first time hunter tags. Yes I understand guys will hat this but I have helped youth on these tags kill deer that otherwise would not have been killed and could have bread more does.

Kind of program going to get more predators managed with a lot higher success rate for managing cats.

Step 4 start these for a time period and see what happens to the numbers. Before we turn the entire state into a draw.
I’m with you
Timber hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:20 AM   #29
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Quote:

I'm only a fan of those hunts if the populations are at M.O. and they definitely are not. Interstate is only 44% of population M.O.

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:01 AM   #30
Bbkiller89
Steelhead

Quote:
I'm only a fan of those hunts if the populations are at M.O. and they definitely are not. Interstate is only 44% of population M.O.
I agree if our herds were healthy. I support getting youth involved and a better chance with season dates but not with the herds in the shape they are in. Youth can build points fast. They can draw a tag if they want to use them but being guaranteed with no limit isn’t helping. I’m also for getting rid of a lot of the spike bull hunts the more bulls we let grow to bread with not killing cows and does our numbers would start to increase quickly.

Last edited by Bbkiller89; 02-16-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:28 PM   #31
chromebright
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktail Slayer View Post
I don't care if ODFW has the population MOs stay the same, decreased, or increased as long as vegetation surveys and habitat assessments are completed. This will take time and partnering with BLM, FS, and some large landowners if permission can be gained. In the meantime tag numbers should be dropped, seasons shortened, archery go controlled, and limit technology in certain areas.
I don't buy habitat in Oregon as an argument for wildlife populations and health at all! I sped a TON of time hunting in areas where habitat is in abundance. Large areas of roadless, thriving natural grasses, water, vast private lands full of green food on and on.... And... I can go thru areas looking at green pivots devoid of deer where there once where 100's of deer on any given day!!! Spend some time in Central to SE Oregon looking at the habitat with no deer and then go to CO, WY, MT, ID(some locals would argue this one. Too close to OR) and tell me the deer #'s are due to habitat. They are not!

You need deer and bucks to make more deer. You need elk and bulls to make more elk. If you drive down populations with completely pathetic MOs there is no other solution that will fix the problem. As I've said many times, if wildlife mangers in other states tried to propose what OR sells as MOs they would get fired!!!
chromebright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:43 PM   #32
Blacktail Slayer
Sturgeon

Quote:
I don't buy habitat in Oregon as an argument for wildlife populations and health at all! I sped a TON of time hunting in areas where habitat is in abundance. Large areas of roadless, thriving natural grasses, water, vast private lands full of green food on and on.... And... I can go thru areas looking at green pivots devoid of deer where there once where 100's of deer on any given day!!! Spend some time in Central to SE Oregon looking at the habitat with no deer and then go to CO, WY, MT, ID(some locals would argue this one. Too close to OR) and tell me the deer #'s are due to habitat. They are not!

You need deer and bucks to make more deer. You need elk and bulls to make more elk. If you drive down populations with completely pathetic MOs there is no other solution that will fix the problem. As I've said many times, if wildlife mangers in other states tried to propose what OR sells as MOs they would get fired!!!
Noted
Old 02-17-2020, 07:40 AM   #33
Puffin
Sturgeon

“ Management“ Will definitely get the job done maybe in June we can go catch some 125 pound June hog salmon in the Columbia River then in the fall will go shoot giant mule deer because of the awesome management around here. Wait a minute there are no hundred pound salmon here.
If the coast guard says GO FISH we do.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:38 AM   #34
desperatehills
Steelhead

The poll doesn't ask enough questions. I would wait 10 years for a good mule deer hunt. I wont wait for what Oregon currently offers. I apply in all western states so I am not counting on Oregon to provide me with quality hunting opportunities.
desperatehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:16 PM   #35
Hookset
King Salmon

Quote:
If you drive down populations with completely pathetic MOs there is no other solution that will fix the problem.
I agree with you.

What I believe..... Oregon hunters were sold out in favor of private land owners when ODFW created and adopted MO's that significantly reduced game populations. Why? Because wildlife damage complaints were costing ODFW to much of their annual budget.

So instead of having enough animals where people can buy OTC tags for any animal, species and season they like, everyone is forced into controlled hunts. How pathetic that hunting has turned so bad in this state.
Hookset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #36
fish_guy10
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookset View Post
I agree with you.

What I believe..... Oregon hunters were sold out in favor of private land owners when ODFW created and adopted MO's that significantly reduced game populations. Why? Because wildlife damage complaints were costing ODFW to much of their annual budget.

So instead of having enough animals where people can buy OTC tags for any animal, species and season they like, everyone is forced into controlled hunts. How pathetic that hunting has turned so bad in this state.

You do realize that state wildlife is not managed exclusively for hunters don’t you? That there’s no law requiring the state to make any species available to hunters at all? That there’s no law that requires species be managed for a harvestable surplus or maximum sustained yield?

So how could hunters be “sold out” if they have no right or privileged interest in wildlife? Particularly when, in contrast, landowners actually have reserved rights to protect their property.

How much was ODFW spending on the damage complaints that you claim were such a large proportion of their budget and what were they spending the money on?

Controlled hunts were instituted long before any of the current damage hunt programs and following a long period of decline in mule deer and short but rapid period of elk population increases so how could they be related to ODFW adopting the current MOs?

If I understand the basis of your “beliefs” it’s that the economic interests of landowners are directly responsible for impairing your recreational opportunity....what I can’t understand is how you get to those conclusions when I get to such completely different ones when we are supposedly relying on the same set of facts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
fish_guy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:36 PM   #37
Hookset
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_guy10 View Post
what I can’t understand is how you get to those conclusions when I get to such completely different ones when we are supposedly relying on the same set of facts?
Ok, I'm listening. What are the facts and what is your conclusions?
Hookset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:15 PM   #38
fish_guy10
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookset View Post
Ok, I'm listening. What are the facts and what is your conclusions?

They are plain in the text.

Again, how can hunters be “sold out”, as you claim, if they have no right, title or entitlement to wildlife?

Oregon has no damage compensation program so what damage efforts were costing the state so much money?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
fish_guy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:41 PM   #39
Tiny
Chromer

If predators were controlled and Indians had to join us, I would like to see rolling 2 year closures for all units below a more strict MO, on a schedule that would cover all units every 10 years so we could improve the quality of hunting in this state.
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote