Trucker's CB Channel on I-5? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 02-13-2020, 03:13 PM   #1
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Question Trucker's CB Channel on I-5?

If memory serves, it used to be Ch-17. Is it still, or has it changed?

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 03:26 PM   #2
cutplugherring
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Trucker's CB Channel on I-5?

I-5 was always 17 Don. East West was 19
Old 02-13-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
dirtman
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G Baldi View Post
If memory serves, it used to be Ch-17. Is it still, or has it changed?
Are you going to broadcast to all truckers that there are certain people who want to drastically eliminate their jobs by using the railroads for most freight?
dirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 04:55 PM   #4
STGRule
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger

I want to yell at the nimrod truck that is in the left lane of a three lane highway doing 1 mile an hour faster than the truck in the middle lane that is doing 1 mile an hour faster than the truck in the right lane......
STGRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:15 PM   #5
Williams
Sturgeon

Default Trucker's CB Channel on I-5?

Any of you older Truckers remember the ol’lady somewhere in Oklahoma or Kansas that use to sign off. “I got my panties on and I got my new shoes on,and I’m going to bed!” Good gawd that was some years ago. Sometimes you could receive skip up around Chehalis,Wa along the I-5. Had a lot of fun 30 years ago but the drivers and times have changed.

Last edited by Williams; 02-13-2020 at 05:17 PM.
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:43 PM   #6
sadiesassy
King Salmon

At least you have 3 lanes. We have I 17 that comes out of Phoenix. It climbs from 1200 ft to 4500 ft over two steeper grades. About 6-8 degrees. Most of the truckers are loaded and in two sections where it is steeper they are averaging 26 MPH and decide to pass another truck doing about 2 MPH slower. This on a 75 MPH freeway. Oh yeah - traffic signs say truckers need to stay in the right lane for 6 miles. ( Steeper part where they pass).

Quote:
Originally Posted by STGRule View Post
I want to yell at the nimrod truck that is in the left lane of a three lane highway doing 1 mile an hour faster than the truck in the middle lane that is doing 1 mile an hour faster than the truck in the right lane......
sadiesassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:52 PM   #7
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
I don't yell at any of the trucka's.
Unless my truck is BIGGER!
Old 02-13-2020, 06:07 PM   #8
JCJ
Chromer

Quote:
I remember when the trucks would stick to the right lane unless to pass but now they clog up the center lane doing 50 mph because all the idiots don"t know how to merge on the right lanes.Every day occurrence on all the freeways around here.
JCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:39 PM   #9
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutplugherring View Post
I-5 was always 17 Don. East West was 19
That was my recollection. Think we also ran 17 over on hwy 97 too. Bought a couple of walkie-talkies to mess around with the kid and ran one on 17 from Salem up to about Centralia. Only conversation we heard was in the middle of Puddletown. There used to be a lot more traffic on it back when I was driving.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:51 PM   #10
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman View Post
Are you going to broadcast to all truckers that there are certain people who want to drastically eliminate their jobs by using the railroads for most freight?
You bet, by name.

Williams, don't recall that gal and used to run back east on I-80. Hated Nebraska, straight and flat for hours. But there were some friendlies up and down I-5. Especially one around Brownsville. Oh, and a couple gals in Albany. And K-falls. Redding. And the truck stop at Dunnigan. Gals wore short black skirts that almost went below their knickers - also black with white frill. They sure sold a lot of coffee in that place. There used to be a bar in Bakersfield that was a real hot spot. Wouldn't be surprised if that's where Buck Owens and Merle Haggard became famous. That Cash guy, too. Ah, the memories. But that was a hard life.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:22 PM   #11
lingslayer
King Salmon

Ch 17 is used for North/South I-Hwys, and ch 19 is used on East/West I-Hwys.
Secondary hwys are anybody's guess. That's region dependent.

That's what I'm hearing anyway.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:36 PM   #12
cutplugherring
Ifish Nate

That place in Dunnigan was called “pantyhose Junction”. I never really got a big rush out of that place but for some guys It was a must stop. I was always more into putting some miles behind me. There was a lot more yaking on the radios in the 70s and 80s. I had a Cobra 148 gtl with a 500 watt linier amp and all the funny channels and could talk long distance with it. Trucking was kind of fun once.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:28 PM   #13
Splash
Sturgeon

Quote:
This!
Old 02-14-2020, 01:36 AM   #14
1pump
King Salmon

Quote:
There was a lot more yaking on the radios in the 70s and 80s. I had a Cobra 148 gtl with a 500 watt linier amp and all the funny channels and could talk long distance with it. Trucking was kind of fun once.
Too many other wireless devices to use. Nobody really talks any more. Plus the wonderful employers have driver cameras and audio, so nobody wants to be overheard by some twit behind a desk. The GPS tracking was bad enough, and now this, and the ELD mandate.

Trucking wasn't really fun, it just didn't suck as bad as it does now. The only consistent good thing was the freedom, and now that's gone. And the industry wonders why they can't retain drivers.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:41 AM   #15
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutplugherring View Post
That place in Dunnigan was called “pantyhose Junction”. I never really got a big rush out of that place but for some guys It was a must stop. I was always more into putting some miles behind me. There was a lot more yaking on the radios in the 70s and 80s. I had a Cobra 148 gtl with a 500 watt linier amp and all the funny channels and could talk long distance with it. Trucking was kind of fun once.
Coming north it was time for a break after a run up from Fresno and through the Sac mess. From Dunnigan north it was a flat and straight run to our Corning fuel stop. Southbound it was time to caffeine up before running through Sac or over to the GB. Didn't always stop in, but as often as not.

A bit off topic but I was always amused by the myth that truckers only stop at a place that serves good food. Truth is they stop wherever they can park their truck.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:23 AM   #16
PaPa Jon
King Salmon

What freq do the log trucks run when zooming thru the woods ?
Old 02-14-2020, 08:55 AM   #17
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Spent one day on a log truck but don't recall the channel. Wife at the time wanted me home more so hooked me up with a relative that drove a log truck. 4:30 at the yard so we could be at the load site high on the mountain at daylight. Stick your head under the bunk to check the axle scale with mud and snow dripping down your next. Run a double to the mill and back at the yard do maintenance on the truck and trailer. Back home way after dark. No thanks. They have a tough life.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:45 AM   #18
TheCamel
Tuna!

Most truckers use their mobile phone instead of a CB radio. Citizens Band use has been relegated to areas where there is no phone signal available.

In my best Steven Wright imitation: How come Cowboys and Cowgirls don't become Cowmen and Cowwomen?
TheCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:18 AM   #19
gettin' fishy
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa Jon View Post
Usually there is a small sign when you leave the main road telling you what channel the trucks run.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
gettin' fishy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #20
1pump
King Salmon

Quote:
A bit off topic but I was always amused by the myth that truckers only stop at a place that serves good food. Truth is they stop wherever they can park their truck.

That's what I always told people. Finding enough room to park is not easy. On top of that, you have to be able to turn around and get out, aka "escape route."
Old 02-14-2020, 01:00 PM   #21
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pump View Post
That's what I always told people. Finding enough room to park is not easy. On top of that, you have to be able to turn around and get out, aka "escape route."
One of the first thing the guy that taught me to drive one was to always park pointed out. I didn't do that just one time and realized why.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:20 PM   #22
Afb
Tuna!

Talking Re: Trucker's CB Channel on I-5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin' fishy View Post
Usually there is a small sign when you leave the main road telling you what channel the trucks run.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Same with quarries and landfills. Each one is different so nobody gets fixed up
Afb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:56 PM   #23
Rocky
Tuna!

The good old days of good chatter on the radio is gone. Use to be you could yak from Bakersfield to Tulsa and catch the same guy up in Chicago next week and just continue your conversation. Nowadays I just don't see the same type of comaraderie and the quality of new drivers just ain't there. Times have changed as has the industry. 30+ years and I'm done in a couple months
Old 02-15-2020, 07:38 AM   #24
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
The good old days of good chatter on the radio is gone. Use to be you could yak from Bakersfield to Tulsa and catch the same guy up in Chicago next week and just continue your conversation. Nowadays I just don't see the same type of comaraderie and the quality of new drivers just ain't there. Times have changed as has the industry. 30+ years and I'm done in a couple months
I can't imagine how it is nowadays. My trucking was basically in the '70s, border to border and coast to coast. Box, refer and flats. It all depended on which company I was with at the time. Drove everything from a '52 Kenworth conventional with a Cummins 220NA with boxes to a new Mack conventional with a Cummins 350 fuel squeezer and a 7 speed. Oh, and a couple KW and Petes with Cat 440s. Loved the Cats. Hated the 318 Jimmys. Drove both solo and team and a few conventionals but mostly cab overs.

Rules were 10 on and 8 off, a weekly kind of limit I've forgotten, paper log books and most over the road drivers had at least 2. A few rigs had tattletales but those were largely ignored. Insurance companies didn't like us using hwy 97 vs I-5 but snuck over there fairly often anyway. Faster run. One big climb and then pretty much all downhill until that little patch between K Falls and Weed. I-5 was a roller coaster, up and down, up and down.

California loved their scales. Over on a axle and they made you legal your load before getting released. Or and Wn just wrote you a ticket - usually. But, the highway patrol didn't use radar and paced you from a frontage road. Thought they were very professional and fair. Washington was just the opposite. Their state police would run radar and write you up for 2 or 3 MPH over the posted limit. Their manner was much less professional to boot. Oregon? Eh, mediocre all around.

Now I understand a lot of trucks are GPS tracked and drivers have to use some sort of electronic tracking for logs. That would take all the fun out of it. Hope you get to retire and spend a lot more time fishing and hunting. That should be a lot more fun.

Last edited by Don G Baldi; 02-15-2020 at 07:42 AM. Reason: hit post vs preview
Don G Baldi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:33 AM   #25
IdahoBeav
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa Jon View Post
It varies by logging crew, but as mentioned above, the channel is posted on a sign near the road entry. Whole and 1/2 mile markers are painted on trees. Making your mile marker call outs on the cb is a good method to keep from having to drive into the ditch to avoid a head-on. I can't believe how many clowns will drive into an active haul road without a cb.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2020, 02:52 AM   #26
1pump
King Salmon

Quote:
Hated the 318 Jimmys.
Good gawd, those things would ruin your hearing with the way they screamed. No guts in the hills, either. And I remember when all the Tri-Met buses had them. You couldn't even hear yourself think downtown when the buses were all gathered there. And they had 2-speed transmissions. The bus would get on the freeway, scream all the way to about 2400 RPM, hold there a few seconds, then upshift so hard the bus practically jumped forward.
Great engines for boats and a few other things, but terrible for on-road.

Quote:
California loved their scales. Over on a axle and they made you legal your load before getting released.
Oh,boy, did they ever. I couldn't stand those.....jerks. I did whatever I could to annoy them without getting a ticket. They jammed me up for hours at Dunsmuir once because one set of axles was 400 lbs over. Seriously? Then they decided that my attitude wasn't to their liking, and wrote me another ticket for the truck being improperly permitted. Then I dared them to go for three and nail me for their ridiculous 40' king pin to rear axle spacing, even though I'd already corrected that one, and it caused the 400 lbs over situation. They suggested that I might need a Level 1 inspection, so I wisely shut my yap, otherwise I would've been there a week collecting more tickets.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:07 AM   #27
cutplugherring
Ifish Nate

I had to run thru California a lot but every chance I got to stay out of there, I took it. In all of my years of driving I got several tickets, 1 on Washington state, 1 on Oregon (overweight and you paid the fine on the spot and was like a overweight permit), 1 fix it ticket in Colorado and ALL the rest were from the Golden State. Overweight (several), speeding, 3rd lane violation, excessive smoke, log book, permits and others too. The CHP was proud that they didn’t use radar to catch you speeding as they used to pace you. Inspections could be nasty. I was stopped at Truckee once and inspected there. Bogus violation but couldn’t move until it was corrected. But lucky me (and others too) there was a mobile repair truck on site that was giving a kick back to inspectors. The truck speed limit in Ca was 55, might be different now but then it was. cars would be doing 90 but trucks were stuck at 55. And don’t get me started on those Jimmys. 6-71, 8-71, 6-92, 8-92 noise makers that puked a quart of oil every where you stopped and had jakes that were not much better than holding a clip board out of the window. Lol, what fun.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:09 AM   #28
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

I was pulling a flatbed of something with juiced KW/Cat 440 that scaled out right at 80k gross. Went a bit light on fuel at Fresno to make sure. At Bakersfield i stopped for coffee before heading up the hill and another flatbed operator asked me to hook up a chain and recenter his load. Found out he was running the 'new' twin turbo Detroit that was all the rage. He was bragging on it.

Followed him through the scales at the foot of the Grapevine so I know he as legal. He wasn't half a mile from the scale when i passed him. Over on the other side of the hill I stopped at Magic Mountain for coffee (I did that a lot) and it was nearly a half hour before he showed.

The truck I learned on had a 318 with boxes and we ran east/west. The lead driver jacked up the cab for something one time and the stack never really settled into the lower pipe. It was so noisy in the bunk it hurt my ears. A day or so later he climbed up on the deck and kicked the pipe - it went down in the hole and made it much quieter. I blame that for my tinnitus.

Hate Jimmys.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:19 AM   #29
Newclear Fishin
Tuna!

I'm on a CB every day on logging roads. Each road system is a different channel and when actively logging each company uses their own channel. My CB is a little hand held that doesn't reach past the corner in front of you. When I hear a little crackle on the radio I put it in the ditch, count to 10 and usually a rock truck comes flying by.
Newclear Fishin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:06 PM   #30
flatman
King Salmon

olden days. im just 10 10 on the side.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote