Boat down at Netarts Monday - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 01-21-2020, 07:08 AM   #1
Soulakala
King Salmon

Default Boat down at Netarts Monday

72 year old man plucked off his 18 foot boat that capsized while crabbing Monday at Netarts Bay. It seems while crabbing his boat got caught up on a sandbar and then took on water causing it to flip. He was rescued by FD personal using jet skis.

Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 07:21 AM   #2
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Default Re: Boat down at Netarts Monday

Yikes.
Glad he made it out alive.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:13 AM   #3
joeer77
Chromer

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020...-bay-surf.html

Is that the Sheriff boat in 3 inches of water?
joeer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #4
JeffO
Chromer

Huh. Article says he was crossing the bar, in 10' seas. In an 18' boat. Alone.

Edit: I wasn't familiar with Netarts Bay. Just looked at imagery... I can certainly see how someone could get hung up on a sandbar! Also, no jetty.

Last edited by JeffO; 01-21-2020 at 10:40 AM.
JeffO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #5
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffO View Post
Huh. Article says he was crossing the bar, in 10' seas. In an 18' boat. Alone.

Edit: I wasn't familiar with Netarts Bay. Just looked at imagery... I can certainly see how someone could get hung up on a sandbar! Also, no jetty.

Here is the story from KATU it differs.

https://www.kptv.com/news/crews-resc...9fce25e96.html
Old 01-21-2020, 11:30 AM   #6
Dave G
King Lingcod

Glad he made it.

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #7
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

One of the reports say he was wearing a PFD. If he got swept out, or was crabbing solo outside, it likely saved his life. Boats can be replaced.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:44 AM   #8
Fisher Dude
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeer77 View Post
https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020...-bay-surf.html

Is that the Sheriff boat in 3 inches of water?
Sure looks like sheriffs boat in very shallow water, good job to all for the rescue!!
Old 01-21-2020, 12:01 PM   #9
uhmw
King Salmon

A Big burly jet ski and his brave rider save the day
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:09 PM   #10
BigbearLittlebear
Cutthroat

Default Boat down at Netarts Monday

I was at Netarts just yesterday crabbing in the bay we got our limits and left by 10am. Not sure why the guy needed or wanted to go out in the ocean for crab. Glad he is alive though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by BigbearLittlebear; 01-21-2020 at 12:13 PM.
BigbearLittlebear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:16 AM   #11
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

If he crossed the bar, his boat didn't, and he did not intend to. I suspect that more people have crossed Netarts bar unintentionally than on purpose. Most begin the crossing in a boat, get out on the first breaker, and just float the rest.

Netarts is easy to cross, a real no brainer. Just be in the lower half mile on an outgoing tide, have most any kind of problem with power or control, and within3 or 5 minutes, you're halfway across.

Hell, some folks do it with no boat problems at all. Motor running great. Full throttle, going slowly backwards, right in the channel. It might take 15-20 minutes to get there that way. I dunno, It seems like a better option to go sideways for one minute, ground the boat and get out. Like I said, no brainer.

When I was a little kid we lived in Netarts. Much busier place, back in the '50's, places renting skiffs and rowboats, big groups coming from the Valley and camping and harvesting, big kettles of seafood stew over the campfires, free if you had your own bowl or mug.

Dad scratched up a living on the bay with an old 28 ft crabber and 40 pots. Frank Mock ran a charter boat over the bar. Different time, different folks, different world.

Glad this guy didn't cross the bar.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:43 AM   #12
Dan Feller
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Evens View Post

Netarts is easy to cross, a real no brainer. Just be in the lower half mile on an outgoing tide, have most any kind of problem with power or control, and within3 or 5 minutes, you're halfway across.
My neighbor and I went crabbing at Netarts on an outgoing tide in my 14’ Zodiac about 12 years ago. We were near the bar when my motor (25HP 1999 Mercury 4S) suddenly smelled like burning electrical. Within a few seconds it died of a fried stator.

That morning I had thought to throw in an anchor, just in case. If we hadn’t had it we most certainly would have been some sort of Coast Guard statistic. As it was, we were able to flag down help and get towed back to shore.

I have always kept a good anchor, chain, and plenty of rope on my boat since that day!
Dan Feller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:24 AM   #13
Tinman

Quote:
If he crossed the bar, his boat didn't, and he did not intend to. I suspect that more people have crossed Netarts bar unintentionally than on purpose. Most begin the crossing in a boat, get out on the first breaker, and just float the rest.

Hell, some folks do it with no boat problems at all. Motor running great. Full throttle, going slowly backwards, right in the channel. It might take 15-20 minutes to get there that way. I dunno, It seems like a better option to go sideways for one minute, ground the boat and get out. Like I said, no brainer.

When I was a little kid we lived in Netarts. Much busier place, back in the '50's, places renting skiffs and rowboats, big groups coming from the Valley and camping and harvesting, big kettles of seafood stew over the campfires, free if you had your own bowl or mug.

Dad scratched up a living on the bay with an old 28 ft crabber and 40 pots. Frank Mock ran a charter boat over the bar. Different time, different folks, different world.

Glad this guy didn't cross the bar.

Great post Joe. To many folks perish on that bar, just the way you say, when they get swept out by an ebb current. Curiously, they often could save themselves by motoring/rowing/paddling sideways to ground the boat, rather than fighting a futile battle against the current.

A few years back a boat lost power. A good samaritan rushed to assist, propellers got tangled in tow lines, both boats got swept into the surf. The good samaritan died, the other man survived. Heartbreaking.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #14
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

The one's that scare me are the folks who stay out in that current, barely making headway. Nearer to the side, in 4-5 fow, the current is much lighter.

Heck, with a pair of oars, one could ferry back and forth across the channel easily. Not even much effort, some knowledge of the ferry technique needed.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #15
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:
The one's that scare me are the folks who stay out in that current, barely making headway. Nearer to the side, in 4-5 fow, the current is much lighter.

Heck, with a pair of oars, one could ferry back and forth across the channel easily. Not even much effort, some knowledge of the ferry technique needed.

I've seen the making barely headway in the CR off Chinook a few times when folks wanted to fish and had no clue about their surroundings. Called the USCG a number of years back when just off the hole in the island here was this 10-12 lake skiff with four people aboard and what looked like a 4 hp pointed upstream in a flying ebb. They were loosing the battle with the tide until the USCG grabbed them. Several of us hung around until help arrived. Just a case in point it happens everywhere not just Netarts.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:22 PM   #16
fishy2k
Tuna!

The report I read was that he was pulling a crab pot, and was not under power. Motor was turned off or died I don’t know. The tide was going out and Inthink he drifted onto the sand bar. We drove out to Happy Camp on Wednesday and the boat is still capsized on the sand bar on the south side of the channel just inside the surf. Not sure if that’s where it capsized or drifted there.