Drift Fishing with Braid - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 01-20-2020, 09:05 PM   #1
denhambruce
Steelhead

Default Drift Fishing with Braid

Been putting a good amount of effort into drift fishing so far this winter and have yet to have any luck. Not sure whether its for lack of fish or just not doing things right on my end.

So far, I've been fishing 30-40lb braid with about 10ft of 15lb mono top shot leader tied to the end of the braid to my terminal gear. The thinking behind the top shot is to help with breaking off snags, abrasion resistance, and most importantly (or so I thought)... to add a little bit of body with the larger diameter and allow the current to help sweep my offering down river.

Just yesterday however I'd been fishing and broke off on a snag that snapped all the mono off my rig at the knot. But tying on another leader seemed like too much work at the time with cold hands so I just ran straight braid to my lead. What came to my surprise after this was how different of a drift I was getting without the mono leader.

For whatever reason I immedietely noticed how much smoother of a drift I was getting down river. With the mono leader it always felt like my lead was banging across the rocks down river whereas without it my gear seemed to glide ever so smoothly across the tops of the rocks down river. In addition to getting a smoother drift I noticed my gear kept in better contact with the bottom on the actual swing and thus kept me in the strike zone that much longer.

I know almost all the old-school guys say to drift fish with mono.. but I'm a braid guy and thats all I fish. I really thought the mono top-shot would be the best of both worlds since it usually is when fishing a technique that people generally use monfilament for. Turns out that didn't seem like the case here. I'm interested to hear what the guys who fish braid have to say about this.

denhambruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2020, 10:48 PM   #2
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Default Re: Drift Fishing with Braid

I fish with braid for most applications, but drift fishing is a non-negotiable "NO" for me.

Biggest issue is dealing with snags. Just too much potential to leave something bad as bad as superline in the river that takes an eternity to decompose (if ever).

Long Live the Kings!
eyeFISH.... The Keen Eye MD
eyeFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:40 AM   #3
ryank
Chromer

Always use a top shot with braid. For the reason mentioned above. Your mono breaking off is what you want. That way you’re not leaving 30yds of braid in the river ruining a drift. Try a little less mono for your top shot. Use just enough to where the mono doesn’t go into your reel. I fish a 9’6” rod and usually run 7-8’ of 15lb mono. Casts better that way.

Practice the double uni knot. Super easy knot, even with cold hands. Shouldn’t take more than a minute to re-tie your mono.

If you’re having problems hanging up a lot try slinkies. Use smaller diameter shot for longer slinkies. The feel takes a little getting used to but you’ll go several trips without breaking off a drift rig.

Last edited by ryank; 01-21-2020 at 04:43 AM.
ryank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 04:48 AM   #4
piscean
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeFISH View Post
I fish with braid for most applications, but drift fishing is a non-negotiable "NO" for me.

Biggest issue is dealing with snags. Just too much potential to leave something bad as bad as superline in the river that takes an eternity to decompose (if ever).
This. I cannot see myself in million years drifting with braid. I got braid on boat, bobbering fron bank, plunking but NO for drift set up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
piscean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:53 AM   #5
Rickster
Ifish Nate

Try a lighter leader. Might want to consider hauling in a second or third rod, too. It will keep you fishing in snaggy spots and allow different presentations while exploring. I don't mind the way braid drifts, but as mentioned, mono will break off short. Lesser of two evils.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:09 AM   #6
DogZilla15
King Salmon

The braid issue has been addressed so I'll mention the fish part. Your lack of success is probably due to lack of fish. Someone new to drift fishing must be good at reading water and dissecting a river. Cover lots of water with a few good casts to holding water and move. You are looking for biters and it doesn't take much to determine if any are present. The more "good" water you cover, the higher your success.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:52 AM   #7
flopearedmule
Chromer

If it was me, switch out the braid to 14lb mono (p line or similar with low memory) and fish #4 silver blade blue foxes in blues and greens. Try something different and fish tail outs and long runs. Something different, cover alot of water and nicely presented spinner will produce. You know you have one and no guessing when one hits it. If you do get bit and don't get it, You can switch to drifting and it might strike again. Serious doubt it will hit twice once it knows your lure is not edible.

Last edited by flopearedmule; 01-21-2020 at 06:56 AM.
flopearedmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:03 AM   #8
Califbill
Tuna!

As to hitting the spinner again, maybe it is as Randy Pringle said during a bass seminar. If they miss that top water stick bait, pickup another rod with an underwater plug like a swim bait. That fish is looking for the wounded fish he just hit. Same with the steelhead. He is looking for that fish he just stunned. Requires less energy expenditure.
Califbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:59 AM   #9
Large Edward
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscean View Post
This. I cannot see myself in million years drifting with braid. I got braid on boat, bobbering fron bank, plunking but NO for drift set up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I agree. Drift fishing with braid is a bad idea. If you break off a chunk of braid, it stays in the river a very long time and ends up messing up anyone else's drift that is working the same area. If you do get a bite with braid, you'll probably pop your leader off with the set as it has zero stretch. If you get a birds nest in your reel with braid, plan on spending the next 30 minutes on the shore trying to get it out. If you are fishing a busy hole and someone else has a fish on and their line contacts your braid, they get sawn off and lose their fish. Braid is an amazing product to use, just not for drift fishing.
Large Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:13 AM   #10
denhambruce
Steelhead

Perhaps I need to clarify a few things. First off, not at all worried about my lack of success so far doing drift fishing. I understand there are other techniques and if I was really worried about catching fish I'd just float a jig or bobberdog a bead. However, I've never given drift fishing since its much of a lost art in my generation and wanted to add it to my arsenal.

As for the guys saying to use mono, is the only reason you use it to avoid leaving a bunch of line in the river? Because when I'm fishing with braid thats always the last of my worries. Even when I started fishing straight braid I never lost any line in the river to a snag. I'm drifting lead covered in shrink tubing so whenever I get snagged the tubing is always the first thing to go and not once have I not gotten my swivel back. This also kind of defeats the purpose of using mono top-shot just to break off easier since thats not the problem I'm having.

Like I said before, when I went to tying braid directly to my swivel without a leader I noticed that my offering immediately seemed to "fish" better. I want to know what you guys think is the best method for properly presenting your gear to the fish.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #11
Brine Shrimp
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhambruce View Post
Perhaps I need to clarify a few things. First off, not at all worried about my lack of success so far doing drift fishing. I understand there are other techniques and if I was really worried about catching fish I'd just float a jig or bobberdog a bead. However, I've never given drift fishing since its much of a lost art in my generation and wanted to add it to my arsenal.

As for the guys saying to use mono, is the only reason you use it to avoid leaving a bunch of line in the river? Because when I'm fishing with braid thats always the last of my worries. Even when I started fishing straight braid I never lost any line in the river to a snag. I'm drifting lead covered in shrink tubing so whenever I get snagged the tubing is always the first thing to go and not once have I not gotten my swivel back. This also kind of defeats the purpose of using mono top-shot just to break off easier since thats not the problem I'm having.

Like I said before, when I went to tying braid directly to my swivel without a leader I noticed that my offering immediately seemed to "fish" better. I want to know what you guys think is the best method for properly presenting your gear to the fish.

Well, out of consideration for the environment and other fishermen, you really should worry about it. You will eventually snag your mainline and donate your braid to the river. Guaranteed.

As for presenting the gear? It might be easier to feel the bottom with braid, but the presentation will be pretty much the same as if you are ticking bottom with mono.

Please don't fish direct braid to swivel. The people chiming in here have a lot of experience
Brine Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #12
I'd rather fish
Steelhead

While fishing on Sunday I decided to cut off my bobber dogging setup and drift fish instead, something I'd gotten away from the last couple years. It'd been awhile since I'd drift fished and I "seemed" to feel the rocks better with the braid than I remembered when I used straight mono. I did have a 3ft section of top shot mono.
I'd rather fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:53 AM   #13
uhmw
King Salmon

Well , when Im drift fishing I cast a lot and when I cast a lot - I Homer Simpson the spool(dooowww!) and their aint no mono birds nest that can defeat me. With braid when things go south and knot up on the bait caster you have to break out the shank to get going again. For steelhead about 12 lb mono and salmon never used more than 20 lb. Maxima Ultra green killed a lot of fish on my poles over the years but then again so did ugly sticks.

Last edited by uhmw; 01-21-2020 at 02:58 PM.
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:03 AM   #14
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Homer Simpson eh?
New moniker uhmw?
Old 01-21-2020, 11:05 AM   #15
KalamaGeo
King Salmon

Quote:

Just because you haven't lost any braid yet, doesn't mean it won't happen. It WILL

Braid is not very abrasion resistant. it WILL break and the it will be in the river for EVER.

You guys and your love affair with braid. I'll never get it. I use it in Salt and on my float rods but jeez..........
Old 01-21-2020, 11:53 AM   #16
Canzano
Steelhead

After fishing Alsea and salmon river its obvious guys are snagging up losing braid. Some holes are so messed up a flood cant release some of the mess I ran into. 3-5 'of 20lb floro is all you need to prevent it.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Canzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:55 AM   #17
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

There are many more cons than pros when it comes to using braid for drift fishing. As mentioned above, cons include:

1) Poor abrasion resistance. Drift fishing is hard on your mainline - why would you fish with something that will quickly fray and become weaker?
2) No stretch. When it comes to fighting fish from shore, which is typically where drift fishing is done, stretch in your mainline is your friend. You will lose fewer fish with that stretch mono gives you to absorb hooksets, head shakes, aerial displays, etc.
3) The thicker diameter of mono is also your friend when it comes to drift fishing. You want the current to push on the "body" of your mono line to push your offering downstream at a natural pace.
4) Leaving broken off braid in the river can ruin a hole for years.
5) Drift fishing involves lots of casting and often times with a casting reel. Backlash with braid sucks.
6) If you're fishing braid and your neighbor is fishing mono, he is going to hate you in short order if you: (a) tangle with him (braid sucks when it comes to undoing knots/tangles), or worse (b) if you cut him off.

Pros I have heard include:

1) Increased sensitivity. My experience (been drift fishing almost exclusively for Salmon and Steelhead for 30+ years) is that you don't need that level of sensitivity to be effective, and it can often times be a distraction to get that much "feedback" in your line.
2) Braid lasts longer - "I don't have to change my line for several seasons." If your drift fishing, it won't last as long (see above under abrasion resistance). Mono is cheap, and it's recycleable.

Last edited by Nor Cal Drifter; 01-21-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Nor Cal Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:46 PM   #18
KalamaGeo
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Drifter View Post
There are many more cons than pros when it comes to using braid for drift fishing. As mentioned above, cons include:

1) Poor abrasion resistance. Drift fishing is hard on your mainline - why would you fish with something that will quickly fray and become weaker?
2) No stretch. When it comes to fighting fish from shore, which is typically where drift fishing is done, stretch in your mainline is your friend. You will lose fewer fish with that stretch mono gives you to absorb hooksets, head shakes, aerial displays, etc.
3) The thicker diameter of mono is also your friend when it comes to drift fishing. You want the current to push on the "body" of your mono line to push your offering downstream at a natural pace.
5) Drift fishing involves lots of casting and often times with a casting reel. Backlash with braid sucks.
6) If you're fishing braid and your neighbor is fishing mono, he is going to hate you in short order if you: (a) tangle with him (braid sucks when it comes to undoing knots/tangles), or worse (b) if you cut him off.

1) Increased sensitivity. My experience (been drift fishing almost exclusively for Salmon and Steelhead for 30+ years) is that you don't need that level of sensitivity to be effective, and it can often times be a distraction to get that much "feedback" in your line.
2) Braid lasts longer - "I don't have to change my line for several seasons." If your drift fishing, it won't last as long (see above under abrasion resistance). Mono is cheap, and it's recycleable.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this this this.............................................. .....................................

WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2020, 05:19 PM   #19
Large Edward
Cutthroat

Quote:

When I drift fish with mono main line, I know that the line diameter is going to totally affect how fast my gear can "potentially" be pushed down river given a fixed amount of weight. So, I adjust my weight to match up with how the river current is pushing my line between my rod and my weight. I'm trying to feel the bottom throughout my drift but avoid snagging up. It feels like my weight must generally be ticking bottom every 3-5'. So, I don't (need to) use braid to feel the bottom. When you get a bite with mono, you can lay the wood to the fish without fear of the leader popping which happens a lot with braid. As was previously posted, the mono also acts as a shock absorber when fighting a fish, something no-stretch braid cannot do.
Large Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:31 PM   #20
I'd rather fish
Steelhead

Quote:

All good points.

I switched up on the river so braid was on the reel. Forgot how much I enjoyed drift fishing, am going to respool a reel/rod setup with mono. One more rod in the boat!
I'd rather fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:50 PM   #21
denhambruce
Steelhead

Quote:

Not sure why you old guys have such an affinity for mono... Its outdated and serves no real purpose other than leader material Anywho, I'll do my best to combat the "cons" of braid.

1) The abrasion resistance of braid really isn't that bad. Takes a sharp rock and a lot of line tension to cut braid off which doesn't really happen a whole lot in freshwater. Although a mono leader can fix that in a problem entirely.
2) No stretch is good.. Especially from the bank! Get super positive hook sets on long drifts where sometimes you might miss a hookup with the stretch of mono. Hooksets become too positive for your liking? Add a 8ft leader and you have 4x more stretch than before with just your drift leader.
3) Mono leader, or at least thats what I thought would do the trick with getting a better drift.
4) Have a weak link in you're rig that will break before your line or bring something to wrap the line about and pull, praying it breaks at the knot.
5) Backlashes with braid are better than mono. The line doesn't kink which weakens it and if you know what you're doing you'll never have to cut it out.
6) Last thing I'm going to worry about is another fisherman considering I'm usually alone.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:08 PM   #22
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Not sure why you old guys have such an affinity for mono... Its outdated and serves no real purpose other than leader material Anywho, I'll do my best to combat the "cons" of braid.

1) The abrasion resistance of braid really isn't that bad. Takes a sharp rock and a lot of line tension to cut braid off which doesn't really happen a whole lot in freshwater. Although a mono leader can fix that in a problem entirely. Not really - some places I fish have ledges that can scrape your line 20 ft or more up from your hook.
2) No stretch is good.. Especially from the bank! Get super positive hook sets on long drifts where sometimes you might miss a hookup with the stretch of mono. Hooksets become too positive for your liking? Add a 8ft leader and you have 4x more stretch than before with just your drift leader. Seen more fish lost to lack of stretch with braid than any other identifiable factor.
3) Mono leader, or at least thats what I thought would do the trick with getting a better drift. Unless your running a 40 ft leader you’re not getting the full effect of the current pushing your mainline mono.
4) Have a weak link in you're rig that will break before your line or bring something to wrap the line about and pull, praying it breaks at the knot.
5) Backlashes with braid are better than mono. The line doesn't kink which weakens it and if you know what you're doing you'll never have to cut it out.
6) Last thing I'm going to worry about is another fisherman considering I'm usually alone. Good thing!
Not sure why you asked for feedback - sounds like you already made up your mind. Us “old guys” just know what works cause we’ve been doing it for awhile.

Last edited by Nor Cal Drifter; 01-21-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:23 PM   #23
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

Someone breaks a length of braid off in a "drift", next guy comes along driftfishing with monofilament. His mono drifts on top / across the braid his mono gets chaffed to an unusable condition if it doesn't get cut first.
AnnaDraMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:37 PM   #24
Bankbound
Tuna!

Doesn’t that mean mono has worse abrasion resistance?
Old 01-21-2020, 06:41 PM   #25
eyeFISH
King Salmon

For the record, braid is WAY more susceptible to abrasion...

Long Live the Kings!
Old 01-21-2020, 06:50 PM   #26
StumpySteelheader
Steelhead

ahhhhhh, just another "old guy" opinion.
StumpySteelheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:17 PM   #27
Whethole
Sturgeon

Quote:
Damn! That video is pretty telling. I had no idea braid was that much weaker to abrasion.

For me, this "middle aged guy" prefers mono hands down for drifting. It's what I've always used, and I've learned the hard way a few times. If you're sold on braid, then use what comes easier to you. There are pros and cons to anything, so weigh the options and rock it.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:18 PM   #28
CRD4Liberty
Tuna!

That's a bogus test, braid is usually bought at a similar diameter to mono and used, try putting 80 lb. braid on there and see which lasts longer. You have to cut every fiber in braid till you get it weak enough to fail, mono can just get a good kink in it from a professional over run and fail the next time you cast the lure after removing the birds nest, and away goes all your gear. Mono is like glass, start a fracture and it's done.
Take braid similar in size to 8-10 lb. mono and saw it back and forth through a guide on your fishing rod, which one turned into a flat ribbon than failed first, I rest my case.
CRD4Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:23 PM   #29
denhambruce
Steelhead

^^^ Totally right. If anything they need to do a test where both lines are the same diameter.

Also I am asking for feedback here, but I'm asking to hear it from guys who drift fish with braid, not mono. I even specified that I'm not going to use mono so whats the point of even saying anything? It can be done with braid and its not going to be the end of the world
Old 01-21-2020, 07:48 PM   #30
jagosh
Steelhead

Quote:
^^^ Totally right. If anything they need to do a test where both lines are the same diameter.

Also I am asking for feedback here, but I'm asking to hear it from guys who drift fish with braid, not mono. I even specified that I'm not going to use mono so whats the point of even saying anything? It can be done with braid and its not going to be the end of the world
I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt as I have had many of the same questions regarding the use of braid... and then you made your “I don’t care what you old guys think”.

First, the young bucks on Facebook are a dime a dozen and will come and go. There are more than a few Addicts who have offered tons of advice and video, then they got their first girlfriend and are long gone. (Founders are good guys and fisherman).

At some point in your fishing career it becomes important what your fellow fisherman think and as a loner, this was a painful lesson to learn and I am fortunate that a few ifishers tolerated me and brought me along (read my old posts from 2015).

I wanted to use braid for plunking, I still do. Can go from Salmon to Sturgeon and back. But to do so is rude, and I accept that. Not to mention a that age and guile beat youth and a bad haircut all day every day!

Braid is more sensitive, you are 100% correct, but you don’t need it or that level of sensitivity.

Take your lumps here, smile, enjoy and you will find so much more info and fun.

Peace
Old 01-21-2020, 08:45 PM   #31
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Quote:

Fair enough - you should definitely use what you have confidence in. I have used braid for drift fishing in the past, but quickly went back to mono for reasons listed above. Thought you might be interested in some first hand experience from an “old guy.” You sound determined to fish braid so go for it.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:01 PM   #32
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD4Liberty View Post
That's a bogus test, braid is usually bought at a similar diameter to mono and used, try putting 80 lb. braid on there and see which lasts longer.
OK... so 80# is 4 times stronger due to 4 times the cross sectional area of material. Geometrically, area = pi X radius squared. That works out to about twice the diameter (square root of 4 = 2) for 80# versus 20#

So instead of 1 oscillation against the sandpaper with 20# braid, the 80# might be expected to withstand 2 oscillations. Giving it the benefit of the doubt, possibly 3 TOPS... no where even close to the mono which went a full 27 oscillations.

Mono still wins. Not because I said so, but because it IS so.

Long Live the Kings!
Old 01-21-2020, 11:01 PM   #33
Whethole
Sturgeon

The test is not hard to conduct. Try it of you have questions. I feel the proof was in the pudding. 4 or 5 strokes of the sandpaper test and 80 lb braid would be done for.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:10 AM   #34
James in Idaho
Sturgeon

Wow, upriver from you guys almost everyone I know drift fishes with braid if it's above freezing. Rarely do they loose a fish, and break offs tend to happen at the swivel. Lack of stretch I think is helpful when fishing barbless as is required here. I usually use 20 lb braid direct to the swivel, with a 12 lb leader to my hook. Mono is reserved for when it's below freezing for all applications...and I ain't no young flat brimmer! (ok boomer is appropriate at this point).

Uncork the Snake!
James in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:32 AM   #35
FishOnShawn
Ifish Nate

Wow everyone harpin on this dude about fishing with braid because of the POSSIBILITY of losing some and how bad it is for the environment better not be fishing with any sort of lead.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:35 AM   #36
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOnShawn View Post
Wow everyone harpin on this dude about fishing with braid because of the POSSIBILITY of losing some and how bad it is for the environment better not be fishing with any sort of lead.
And braid petunia's f's up mono
AnnaDraMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:35 AM   #37
Cali stlhdr
Chromer

Yeah well the other day we kept snagging on some braid in one of the prime runs on the river because some knuckleheads decided it was a good idea to side drift with braided line and snagged up,broke 30 feet of it in the river,and essentially ruined a whole drift. Go ahead and drift fish it but just know you won't be popular on the river,and god forbid if you are in a line up doing it. I don't combat fish any more ,too old for that . No one is harping. This is just my experience. That said I float fish with braid,and it's all I use in the surf for stripers. LOVE it.
Cali stlhdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #38
Cali stlhdr
Chromer

Denham Bruce. I have read your postings here before. I would like to offer you a couple suggestions ,if you will have them. I remember you really digging your heels in over suggestions of using flourocarbon leaders. I have learned in over decades of fishing for steelhead that there are 3 things that are most important,for me.

1. Learning to read water. I read it well,and I am always learning new things.

2. Have an open mind. I always watch what others are doing,even beginners. Maybe they do something goofy and hook a fish in a weird spot,or use some odd duck rig and a lightbulb in me goes off. I always try and be humble and learn. I'm not the best,never will be,nor do I profess to know much. I catch fish. Consistently,because of my attitude.

3. Fish with people that know what they are doing. There are many on this site,I bet,that would go fishing with you. I certainly would take you,but on the condition that hey,this is fishing,we are here to HAVE FUN! I think many people forget that. I see a lot of "serious" guys on the river. I bet it is because they lack confidence. The best fishermen I know have fun. We fish because nothing on earth makes us happier.

Good luck bubba. Listen to these guys,even if you're 90 lol.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #39
fisherman_rick
Chromer

Quote:
Gotta love the Scientific Method. How do we find out if our theory is any good? We measure! Great video.
fisherman_rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:23 PM   #40
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali stlhdr View Post
Denham Bruce. I have read your postings here before. I would like to offer you a couple suggestions ,if you will have them. I remember you really digging your heels in over suggestions of using flourocarbon leaders. I have learned in over decades of fishing for steelhead that there are 3 things that are most important,for me.

1. Learning to read water. I read it well,and I am always learning new things.

2. Have an open mind. I always watch what others are doing,even beginners. Maybe they do something goofy and hook a fish in a weird spot,or use some odd duck rig and a lightbulb in me goes off. I always try and be humble and learn. I'm not the best,never will be,nor do I profess to know much. I catch fish. Consistently,because of my attitude.

3. Fish with people that know what they are doing. There are many on this site,I bet,that would go fishing with you. I certainly would take you,but on the condition that hey,this is fishing,we are here to HAVE FUN! I think many people forget that. I see a lot of "serious" guys on the river. I bet it is because they lack confidence. The best fishermen I know have fun. We fish because nothing on earth makes us happier.

Good luck bubba. Listen to these guys,even if you're 90 lol.
Well said. Good post.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:43 PM   #41
Spinitrode
King Salmon

Quote:

1) Same diameter, really? Seriously, who drift fishes for steelhead w/ 65-80lb braid? I use braid for many applications, the advantage being you can step up several lb/test classes to lessen the difference in diameter in order to get a more reliable knot, but the braid is still thinner ~ that's one of the chief advantages, so you can get a functionally comparable amount of line capacity on a smaller/lighter reel.

2) You say you want feedback, but obviously not really since "I even specified that I'm not going to use mono so whats the point of even saying anything?" Just cuz most guys apparently choose to use mono doesn't mean they've never used braid before and decided to switch back for some reason(s). So what's the point of even posting a question if you don't want to listen to the answers?

If all you want to hear is affirmation of choosing the new thang, then sure dude, those ultra-skinny jeans look TOTALLY awesome!
Spinitrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:37 PM   #42
LineIsTight
Steelhead

Quote:
Well said. Good post.
x2...nicely put
LineIsTight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:59 PM   #43
Roady
Tuna!

I guess I’m in the minority group that likes drift fishing and side-drifting with braid. I run 20lb hi-viz yellow Tuf Line tied directly to my swivel, then leader of my choice (12, 10, or 8 lb) I like braid for multiple reasons.

1.) When I snag up, I normally break off at one of two points; either at the swivel knot or right above the hook. Every now and then, my leader will break somewhere in between those two points. With braid, I often am able to straighten my hook to retrieve all of my gear, that rarely happened with mono. If my lead is what gets hung up, I am normally able to straighten out the snap swivel, only losing the lead.

I can think of MAYBE a half dozen times I’ve ever broken braided line, and that was spinner or spoon fishing with braid attached directly to the lure. Now, I use a short mono bumper to alleviate that happening.

2.) I like the sensitivity with braid. I admit, I’m not always paying attention to what’s going on with my rod. I might be looking at an eagle, admiring how a cloud looks like a elephant, or more often spotting something shiny. Braid helps telegraph not only the tick-tick-tick of the bottom, but for me, makes translation of a fish strike much easier to detect. Since I may otherwise be distracted, causing a slower response time, combined with braid’s lack of stretch, hook-sets for me are typically a reel down and raise the rod. No need for long sweeping hook-sets to compensate for mono’s stretch. At first, this was a skill I had to learn. I probably over-set many times when I first started using braid. In addition I can use cheaper or stiffer rods with braid and not lose sensitivity.

3.) Line diameter and strength. Pretty simple.

4.) It works for me. I try to not fish around too many people, but even when I do, I don’t have any problems coexisting with straight mono users. Heck, I’m even able to drift fish next to guys float fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2020, 09:41 PM   #44
Whethole
Sturgeon

Roady, I liked the comment you made about being able to co-fish with bobber guys while drift fishing. I have a similar skill in being able to fish spinners and spoons next to a bobber guy and have no issues with others. Braid or mono main line.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:40 PM   #45
Roady
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whethole View Post
Roady, I liked the comment you made about being able to co-fish with bobber guys while drift fishing. I have a similar skill in being able to fish spinners and spoons next to a bobber guy and have no issues with others. Braid or mono main line.

It’s those pesky Spey casters that really bug me. Standing out in the middle of the run, almost up to the top of their waders.

Hahaha I kid, I kid.

Old 01-23-2020, 08:35 AM   #46
denhambruce
Steelhead

This whole thread really turned into something quite amusing!

Its funny how in my original post I specified how I'm going to use braid but then immediately get a ton of responses about why I have to use mono. Then after insisting a second time that I really don't want to use mono, I get scolded for it! You guys are saying I need to listen to other peoples experiences and what not but thing is I've already heard it.

I went through all the past threads on Ifish relating to this topic trying to find some answers and on every thread I see people interjecting about how mono is best. I thought that by making a point that I wanted to hear from other guys who fish braid that I would have just that, responses from guys who fish braid. But all the boomers just couldn't resist chiming in and now I'm dubbed as being some naive flat-biller

NorCal, as it turns out I've read a whole bunch of your posts in past threads about drift fishing. I know you are a mono guy who tried braid once, but didn't care for it a whole lot and went back to mono. I'm also pretty sure the Str1045 is your favorite drift rod, something I picked up in another old thread.

My point is I've gathered lots of good information from things I've read on Ifish. Thats why I decided to bring up my question here, because the people who visit this forum have lots of experience. I was just hoping to hear something from people who have experience doing what I'm trying to do, which is drift fish with braid. If you don't like to drift fish with braid then thats fine, but I probably already read about it in an older thread
Old 01-23-2020, 08:59 AM   #47
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
This whole thread really turned into something quite amusing!

Its funny how in my original post I specified how I'm going to use braid but then immediately get a ton of responses about why I have to use mono. Then after insisting a second time that I really don't want to use mono, I get scolded for it! You guys are saying I need to listen to other peoples experiences and what not but thing is I've already heard it.

I went through all the past threads on Ifish relating to this topic trying to find some answers and on every thread I see people interjecting about how mono is best. I thought that by making a point that I wanted to hear from other guys who fish braid that I would have just that, responses from guys who fish braid. But all the boomers just couldn't resist chiming in and now I'm dubbed as being some naive flat-biller

NorCal, as it turns out I've read a whole bunch of your posts in past threads about drift fishing. I know you are a mono guy who tried braid once, but didn't care for it a whole lot and went back to mono. I'm also pretty sure the Str1045 is your favorite drift rod, something I picked up in another old thread.

My point is I've gathered lots of good information from things I've read on Ifish. Thats why I decided to bring up my question here, because the people who visit this forum have lots of experience. I was just hoping to hear something from people who have experience doing what I'm trying to do, which is drift fish with braid. If you don't like to drift fish with braid then thats fine, but I probably already read about it in an older thread
It's not the "what" of your approach that got people fired up, it's the "how." Coming out and calling people "old timers" and "boomers" as a put down makes you sound like a naive flat-biller, not the fact that you drift fish with braid. It's all good - I'm not offended - just some unsolicited feedback. Drift fish with braid if that's what works for you - like I said, confidence in what you are using is most important. For the record, I'm a Gen Xer.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:32 AM   #48
CRD4Liberty
Tuna!

Have some 35 lb. Tufline on the old school Diawa Millionaire reels, you know the old school Tufline with the black thread wove in it, the stuff came out in 1994 and one of their saleperson's gave it to me to try before it was in the stores, still catching fish, have cut off a frayed length from time to time, but rarely and what angler doesn't with any line, and turned it around on the reel maybe 10 years ago. UV doesn't affect it, lots of chemicals don't either, how does mono do there? All my sturgeon rods have 80 lb Tufline on them, at least 10 years since the last reel. Have fished the Columbia Gorge a lot for oversizes, not once has the line failed on it's own, the bottom is basalt rock, sunk log jams, sunk log rafts, cable, chain, boats. Never a failure with a fish on, fish to 10 foot.
Do I use it for everything? Of course not, but I'm not afraid of using it. When was the last time I saw a river bottom full of sandpaper? How would you rub the line on it if you could? Most of been a long time ago, I can't remember, most times my line is angled away from the bottom.

Last edited by CRD4Liberty; 01-23-2020 at 09:49 AM.
CRD4Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:49 AM   #49
Hawgbuster
Steelhead

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ilksQgUMg
One needs to compare the same diameter, not pound test. I never break braid fishing. Always the mono or flouro leader. The test is therefore flawed.
Hawgbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:28 AM   #50
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD4Liberty View Post
Have some 35 lb. Tufline on the old school Diawa Millionaire reels, you know the old school Tufline with the black thread wove in it, the stuff came out in 1994 and one of their saleperson's gave it to me to try before it was in the stores, still catching fish, have cut off a frayed length from time to time, but rarely and what angler doesn't with any line, and turned it around on the reel maybe 10 years ago. UV doesn't affect it, lots of chemicals don't either, how does mono do there? All my sturgeon rods have 80 lb Tufline on them, at least 10 years since the last reel. Have fished the Columbia Gorge a lot for oversizes, not once has the line failed on it's own, the bottom is basalt rock, sunk log jams, sunk log rafts, cable, chain, boats. Never a failure with a fish on, fish to 10 foot.
Do I use it for everything? Of course not, but I'm not afraid of using it. When was the last time I saw a river bottom full of sandpaper? How would you rub the line on it if you could? Most of been a long time ago, I can't remember, most times my line is angled away from the bottom.
One of the areas I fish has a steep ledge drop off about 15 ft from the shore. Hooked fish will often dive deep right up against that ledge and hunker down. You can feel the sawing action on your line as they do this. Another place I fish has a boulder the size of a small car right in the middle. Hooked fish will head straight for this rock and in the process often wrap your mainline around it. Again, you can feel the line rubbing on the rock. A few years back I hooked a fresh Chinook from shore in another area where there was a steep drop off about 5 ft from shore. During the fight I watched this fish swim right toward the clay bank and shove its face in it and move its head back and forth trying to dislodge the hook (I'm assuming). Long story short, abrasion resistance is important to my style of fishing...

Last edited by Nor Cal Drifter; 01-23-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:31 PM   #51
Cali stlhdr
Chromer

Quote:

now I'm dubbed as being some naive flat-biller

No,NOW you are!!
Old 01-23-2020, 06:46 PM   #52
Bankrunner
Steelhead

All my spinning setups are spooled with 20-40lb braid with a 5-6’ mono bumper. Primarily use them for smaller rivers or light offerings. Drifting and hardware chucking are my typical offerings. The feel/sensation that braid provides over mono is crisper. Easier to feel blades spinning, spoons wobbling, weights bouncing, and fish takes. With mono I can feel all of the above, but everything is softer.

I don’t recall losing much sensitivity running a bumper vs. no bumper. Only spent 1 outing running braid directly to swivel. After that, went to mono bumper. Primarily to keep from breaking off long sections of braid in the river. I loose more line when I break off with my mono setups than the braid set ups.

Love running braid as it gets down quicker than mono, but also floats when running bobbers (for the limited times I switch to that type of fishing). I would run braid in my casters, but don’t like dealing with the backlashes. Only time I don’t get backlashes is when running I am in a trolling position, which is only a few times each year.

In 8 years of running braid, I have only had a handful of times of crossing lines with others that were using mono. Not one time was there ever an issue with me using braid. maybe I have been lucky enough to cross lines with people that don’t care or understand that crossing lines happens sometimes when fishing around people. I’m sure if I was acting like I owned the river of that particular stretch or being a d*** before it happen the interaction may have been different.

Just my experience and 2 cents.
Bankrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:20 PM   #53
driven2fish
Ifish Nate

Tough crowd here.

Drift fishing is my favorite way to fish steelhead, I’ve tried to fish with braid and it wasn’t for me. That said one of the best drift fisherman I know uses braid. I would also say I can’t remember a time where braid left in the water has ruined a spot I was fishing. I do know I’ve pulled a lot of mono out of runs.

I’m glad some people are still drift fishing it’s becoming rare.

driven2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:29 PM   #54
Whethole
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2fish View Post
I’m glad some people are still drift fishing it’s becoming rare.
People still drift fish, but many have morphed it into snagging. Sad, to say the least. One of the main reasons it has been banned on some rivers. The few mess it up for the many.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:44 PM   #55
Cali stlhdr
Chromer

Quote:
People still drift fish, but many have morphed it into snagging. Sad, to say the least. One of the main reasons it has been banned on some rivers. The few mess it up for the many.
75% of my fishing is drift fishing these days. 10% float and jig. 15% swinging spoons .
Old 01-23-2020, 07:48 PM   #56
Whethole
Sturgeon

Quote:
75% of my fishing is drift fishing these days. 10% float and jig. 15% swinging spoons .
I do spinners/spoons, drifting/side drifting, and bobber and ______ evenly. I predominantly fish out of my drifter.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:03 PM   #57
Cali stlhdr
Chromer

Quote:
I do spinners/spoons, drifting/side drifting, and bobber and ______ evenly. I predominantly fish out of my drifter.
Dude I wanna go ______ fishing with you!
Old 01-23-2020, 09:41 PM   #58
Whethole
Sturgeon

Quote:
Dude I wanna go ______ fishing with you!
Next time you're on the northern Oregon coast area, PM me. I would gladly f___ with you.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #59
Cali stlhdr
Chromer

Quote:
Next time you're on the northern Oregon coast area, PM me. I would gladly f___ with you.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:58 AM   #60
Roady
Tuna!

Default Drift Fishing with Braid

Last edited by Roady; 01-24-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Roady is offline   Reply With Quote