upgrading my duck decoys. brand suggestions? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 01-13-2020, 11:06 AM   #1
Eugenius86
Steelhead

Default upgrading my duck decoys. brand suggestions?

With the season winding down, and being stuck at work, I've been checking out websites for new decoys.

What are your experiences with tanglefree, avianx and higdon? What am i missing? I don't want the foam filled as i've heard they're heavy and I dont have a nice cart. All my new decoys will be texas rig - hunted with a guy that had em and they were unbelievably clean and easy.

What sites do you go to for decoys? When is a great time to shop for them? end of season, black friday, christmas? I cant wait that long. i cant wait to buy em and put em in my garage for 8 months

Eugenius86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 11:48 AM   #2
garyk
King Salmon

Default Re: upgrading my duck decoys. brand suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenius86 View Post
With the season winding down, and being stuck at work, I've been checking out websites for new decoys.
What are your experiences with tanglefree, avianx and higdon? What am i missing? I don't want the foam filled as i've heard they're heavy and I dont have a nice cart. All my new decoys will be texas rig - hunted with a guy that had em and they were unbelievably clean and easy.
What sites do you go to for decoys? When is a great time to shop for them? end of season, black friday, christmas? I cant wait that long. i cant wait to buy em and put em in my garage for 8 months

The decoys that are getting the most use is my Dakota Extreme Packable's with flocked drakes. They look great and are very light weight. Long pushes with the cart or hauling everything in a pack causes me to minimize weight. I have these Texas rigged but when using a cart I put them in slot bags to protect them. I hope Dakota puts out this design in Pintails.

"Our best hatcheries, our most resilient, efficient and lasting hatcheries are in fact healthy rivers."

"Keep Public Lands Public - Now and Forever"
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:23 PM   #3
Clamman
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
The decoys that are getting the most use is my Dakota Extreme Packable's with flocked drakes. They look great and are very light weight. Long pushes with the cart or hauling everything in a pack causes me to minimize weight. I have these Texas rigged but when using a cart I put them in slot bags to protect them. I hope Dakota puts out this design in Pintails.
I have Avianx, Higdon, Tanglefree and Dakota's in my current decoy quiver. I will have to say that I do like them all but the best are the Dakota's. They are spendy but work well as my finisher decoy. The Higdon's and Avianx are also very good and they seem to make up the body of my set. Paint is tough on all of them and the flocked heads on the Higdon is still very good.

As far as best price, I shop around to see who has deals. It can vary monthly.

Clam
Clamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 12:50 PM   #4
andymac32
Chromer

I use DOA for mallards, tanglefree pintails and Dakota widgeon. All on Texas rigs. I obviously don’t have one brand I like the best. Don’t care for the Dakota pintails personally but I have shot lots of ducks over them... anymore the decoys are so nice that we’re just buying what we think looks good.

A mallard can’t tell the difference between a flocked head Dakota, tanglefree, or DOA, avian x, imo. All of these decoys I’ve mentioned are heavy so if you’re carting them over long distances you may wanna think about the packable dakotas. Every time we go there’s 4 of us so the decoy load is distributed amongst 4 carts so it’s not horrible.
andymac32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:00 PM   #5
SImudBogger
Brood stock

Default upgrading my duck decoys. brand suggestions?

Avian-X with the flocked heads for me. I have flocked and un-flocked versions and the flocked are ridiculously realistic. The preener and sleeper are amazing.

But really, any of the other brands mentioned are all good and will kill ducks. Decoys are mostly for hunters, imho. Decoyed and shot plenty of birds over the old faded hot buys for many years before I could afford the nice stuff. Location, wind, a quality hide, are all a higher priority to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2020, 01:02 PM   #6
Nq015a
Cutthroat

The manufacturer isn't important, they all make anatomical correct decoys with paint that cant stick to plastic so buy the ones that suit your fancy and shoot some ducks. I look for decoys that are lite weight as you mentioned no reason to haul around extra weight.
Nq015a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:13 PM   #7
The Sailor
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SImudBogger View Post
Avian-X with the flocked heads for me. I have flocked and un-flocked versions and the flocked are ridiculously realistic. The preener and sleeper are amazing.

But really, any of the other brands mentioned are all good and will kill ducks. Decoys are mostly for hunters, imho. Decoyed and shot plenty of birds over the old faded hot buys for many years before I could afford the nice stuff. Location, wind, a quality hide, are all a higher priority to me.

The Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:13 PM   #8
Wreckless
King Salmon

Does anyone have any experience with GHG XD's? They look great, are VERY light and seem durable. I bought a couple to see how they last, but I've been goose hunting.

I also REALLY like the Lifetime decoys for shallow water. They are very light and seem durable also, but like the others they have been "resting" this season so far. The Lifetimes are designed for the Texas rig for what it's worth.

Most of my decoys have 10'-20' of line and 6-12 oz weights so the Lifetimes aren't the best choice.

I too may upgrade.

There are some good deals out there right now.

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher

Last edited by Wreckless; 01-13-2020 at 02:28 PM.
Wreckless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #9
The Sailor
Steelhead

I run a mix of the early, late and backwater mallard Avian X, they are the most realistic, clean easy, durable and most important, they ride the water great! Double YES on the flocked heads! Mix them into your spread, you will be amazed! Rogers and Cabelas have great deals on them now. Yes, on the 8 months idea, got 4 boxes sitting in a brand new blind ready for this coming October!
Kapow!
Old 01-13-2020, 02:28 PM   #10
The Sailor
Steelhead

Quote:

Old 01-13-2020, 02:37 PM   #11
danger
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Decoys are mostly for hunters, imho. Decoyed and shot plenty of birds over the old faded hot buys for many years before I could afford the nice stuff. Location, wind, a quality hide, are all a higher priority to me.
Absolutely Not! Without perfect decoys, a computer generated $350 camo jacket, a 10 gauge, a $250 call and a genuine “cut’em” sticker on your shotgun you’ll never kill ducks.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:45 PM   #12
Wreckless
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sailor View Post
I run a mix of the early, late and backwater mallard Avian X, they are the most realistic, clean easy, durable and most important, they ride the water great! Double YES on the flocked heads! Mix them into your spread, you will be amazed! Rogers and Cabelas have great deals on them now. Yes, on the 8 months idea, got 4 boxes sitting in a brand new blind ready for this coming October!
Kapow!

So you mix flocked heads with painted heads?

Old 01-13-2020, 03:13 PM   #13
Flatfish
King Salmon

In a club.

I have Avain X with flocked heads.
Another fellow had Dakotas that are flocked.

IMO, the Dakotas are so exaggerated in style, they are starting to look not so realistic in the body. I refer to them as the Weatherby of decoys. Heads look great.

That being said, if the decoys will sit in a pond for long periods of time (weeks-months), I would suggest the Dakotas.

My Avian X blocks allow wader to puddle on the backs of several decoy postures, and this allows algae to grow.....so much for realistic looking blocks.

For day trips, the Avian X look very realistic.

Both Dakotas and Avian X are fairly heavy.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:20 PM   #14
Headhunter
Sturgeon

I have G&H and Avian X. The G&H are really durable, kill lots of ducks but cartoon looking compared to the newer decoys.

I like to looks of Avian X but not the keel system. They are not decoy line friendly. It has a couple of notches the thick tangle free style line can go through but no hook or nub to tie off a half hitch for other types of line. If you do Texas rigs no issues.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:32 PM   #15
garyk
King Salmon

It looks like this breaks down into decoy choices when weight matters, and when weight is not an issue at all and long term durability is.

Prior to this season, I did get 19 Columbia River mallard decoys (used, but not used at all) at a silly cheap price...they're so nice looking & so heavy that I haven't used them. I really should get them wet during these final days.

"Our best hatcheries, our most resilient, efficient and lasting hatcheries are in fact healthy rivers."

Old 01-13-2020, 08:19 PM   #16
SImudBogger
Brood stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger View Post
Absolutely Not! Without perfect decoys, a computer generated $350 camo jacket, a 10 gauge, a $250 call and a genuine “cut’em” sticker on your shotgun you’ll never kill ducks.

Don’t forget a cute name for your hunting crew.... or a catch phrase like “smoke ‘em”

Old 01-13-2020, 08:24 PM   #17
Headhunter
Sturgeon

If you have a barrel sticker you don’t need decoys.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger View Post
Absolutely Not! Without perfect decoys, a computer generated $350 camo jacket, a 10 gauge, a $250 call and a genuine “cut’️em” sticker on your shotgun you’️ll never kill ducks. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/doh.gif[/IMG]

Don’️t forget a cute name for your hunting crew.... or a catch phrase like “smoke ‘em”

Old 01-13-2020, 09:17 PM   #18
the-next-one
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
the-next-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:37 AM   #19
The Sailor
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
So you mix flocked heads with painted heads?
Yes, make your presentation look like a family, especially in early season.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:45 AM   #20
garyk
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post

On a recent midwest snow goose hunt, a dude had a sticker on his extended magazine shooter that I'd never seen. It read "Kill Whitey"

Old 01-14-2020, 09:58 AM   #21
Headhunter
Sturgeon

Yeah there are a bunch of funny ones out there. Still the stupidest thing ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
On a recent midwest snow goose hunt, a dude had a sticker on his extended magazine shooter that I'd never seen. It read "Kill Whitey"
Old 01-14-2020, 10:12 AM   #22
Dave Smith
Sturgeon

I am a firm believer in realism, and am not in the slightest bit interested in using decoys that are exaggerated so they "Show up" or "showing the birds something different". So, assuming the OP is asking about commercially available or mass-produced decoys, the best that have been made IMO: Avian X, Cabelas Real Image (Pat Godin carvings), GHG, and DOA. Head flocking is good, whole body flocking is better. Motion is needed with all types. DS

2010 appointee Oregon GOOSE TASK FORCE
Dave Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:03 PM   #23
Eugenius86
Steelhead

wow. lots of good info here. thank you!

i am leaning toward the dakota packables; came across this vid https://youtu.be/R-9wHhoPRw4. I love the idea of smooshing them to fit in a pack. i hate the cart. Do any of you pack them down and how have they held up?
Eugenius86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #24
outdrzman
Cutthroat

SImodBugger you are so correct... "Decoys are mostly for hunters,"... "Location, wind, a quality hide, are all a higher priority to me".

Decoys out in front makes us feel like we are duck hunting. Decoys with motion do help get 'em to look, but a good habitat where they want to come in and use along with a good hide and good (not overdone) calling are a priority.

For my duck lease the decoys are out all season. I repaint/repair a multitude of decoy types/brands including converting old mallard decoys into pintail, widgeon and wood duck decoys (Craigslist is great for used decoys).

But if I had to pack decoys in and out of a hunt, i'd go just with the lightest I can find irregardless of brand.
outdrzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:13 PM   #25
Labsforme
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
I am a firm believer in realism, and am not in the slightest bit interested in using decoys that are exaggerated so they "Show up" or "showing the birds something different". So, assuming the OP is asking about commercially available or mass-produced decoys, the best that have been made IMO: Avian X, Cabelas Real Image (Pat Godin carvings), GHG, and DOA. Head flocking is good, whole body flocking is better. Motion is needed with all types. DS
What goose decoys would you recommend?

Best to ya'll
Jeff G
Labsforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:50 AM   #26
Puffin
Sturgeon

Back in the day it was always G&H swivel heads with molded in color awesome decoys always the best. One day my buddy only wanted to use one dog (I asked him wont your dog be ****** cause I bought my dog to hunt with we can both hunt alone if we need). so we left his dog at home locked in the basement took my dog and hunted for the day when we returned home the dog had chewed the head off of 3 g&h swivel heads and had the runs over every piece of hunting or outdoor equipment in the basement I told my partner hey have a good evening and slid out the side door real quick
If the coast guard says GO FISH we do.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:35 AM   #27
Dave Smith
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenius86 View Post
wow. lots of good info here. thank you!

i am leaning toward the dakota packables; came across this vid https://youtu.be/R-9wHhoPRw4. I love the idea of smooshing them to fit in a pack. i hate the cart. Do any of you pack them down and how have they held up?
Well you'll have some decoys that show-up well and you'll be showing the birds something different

Notice he uses the word "bright" several times

2010 appointee Oregon GOOSE TASK FORCE
Dave Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:16 PM   #28
Wreckless
King Salmon

I never understood the need for "bright" decoys either. I hunt an area where some guys put out magnum Canvasback decoys even though Can's are far & few between. I'll be they can be seen from SPACE!

Quick research tells me:

Birds can see objects in fine detail two-and-a-half to three times farther away than people can, and their spectral sensitivity, which spans from near-ultraviolet (UV) to red, is far beyond that of humans. Source: DU

Those of you that are using Dakota packable. Do they re inflate by themselves in cold weather? Do you have to blow up each one? The ones I have are not returning to their original shape without sitting them next to the wood stove.

Thanks for input all.

Anyone want some 10 year old GHG Mallards? They are in good shape!

Old 01-15-2020, 12:59 PM   #29
andymac32
Chromer

I think brightness is overrated. I much prefer the dullness of a flocked greenhead decoy. I remember reading years ago that guys used to paint milk jugs flat black and it worked wonders. Like I said earlier, these decoys are more for the guy buying them then the ducks!!!!
andymac32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:28 PM   #30
garyk
King Salmon

[QUOTE=Wreckless;16227973
Those of you that are using Dakota packable. Do they re inflate by themselves in cold weather? Do you have to blow up each one? The ones I have are not returning to their original shape without sitting them next to the wood stove. [/QUOTE]

I actually never smoosh them flat and because the valves are leaky, do they stay flattened? Same way that if I blow up those that dont' maintain their desired shape, air leaks out the loose valve. I will have to try the wood stove trick as I have two or three out of dozen that stay deformed no matter how many times I inflate them. (They still look OK)

I wouldn't consider these to be "bright" as compared to my AvianX's.

Old 01-15-2020, 05:04 PM   #31
Cathunter1
Ifish Nate

Pfff ..cut up some old tires and paint them white .Worked for the market shooters 😳
Cathunter1 is online now   Reply With Quote