Scotty pot puller reviews - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 12-02-2019, 07:24 PM   #1
bolen05
Chromer

Default Scotty pot puller reviews

I am thinking about getting a Scotty pot puller. Does anyone use one? I would be crabbing in less than 100’. How does the Scotty compare to the ace Brutus?

bolen05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 07:40 PM   #2
Dan Feller
Steelhead

Default Re: Scotty pot puller reviews

I can’t speak to either of those, but I love my Crabby Lift. My 8 year old daughter can use it to pull a heavy pot. Both the puller and the davit are locally made.
Dan Feller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:53 PM   #3
Reel fortunate
Tuna!

Check with Dave G. I believe he uses a scotty pot puller.

23x84 HT, Raider Coastal
Reel fortunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #4
Dave G
King Lingcod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel fortunate View Post
Check with Dave G. I believe he uses a scotty pot puller.

Yup, and get the 12 inch extension, your back will love you for it. My crew loves my Scotty puller.

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:48 PM   #5
bolen05
Chromer

I cannot find anyone selling an extension by chance would you have a link to one?

Yup, and get the 12 inch extension, your back will love you for it. My crew loves my Scotty puller. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/bouncy.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]
Old 12-02-2019, 08:53 PM   #6
Dave G
King Lingcod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolen05 View Post
I cannot find anyone selling an extension by chance would you have a link to one?

Yup, and get the 12 inch extension, your back will love you for it. My crew loves my Scotty puller. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/bouncy.gif[/IMG]
[/QUOTE]

https://www.amazon.com/Scotty-2606-D...348736&sr=8-37

Old 12-02-2019, 08:56 PM   #7
bolen05
Chromer

TY
Old 12-02-2019, 10:17 PM   #8
Dave G
King Lingcod

YW

Old 12-03-2019, 05:52 AM   #9
schaeway
Tuna!

Same thing here. Just love it! I also got the extension for it. It is a back saver!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crabbing 01-26-18 Rick with crab.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	735227  
schaeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:13 AM   #10
OverTheEdge
Fry

I use and love my Scotty puller as well. A question for those that have the extension. We use pretty heavy 32 inch pots. My mounting plate is on an aluminum gunnel which is not quite as solid as some fiberglass gunnels, but hasn't been a problem with rigidity at this point. I like the idea of an extension but am wondering if adding the extra height might increase the forces acting on the base an cause it to fail. Has anyone experienced this problem with the extensions? Don't want to snap the whole thing off on a big load of crabs! Thanks for any input on this.
OverTheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:29 AM   #11
Kingkiller
Ifish Nate

Same I am looking at the extension. We have the puller and agree it is nice but with the flat base you are picking the trap up further than you need. I would think that with the arm extended out that the force would be shared by the arm and the puller. The arm taking most of the downward pull and the extension and puller taking a sideways force and maybe a little downward pull. I am looking at ordering one and will give it a try with hopefully loaded traps.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #12
Dave G
King Lingcod

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheEdge View Post
I use and love my Scotty puller as well. A question for those that have the extension. We use pretty heavy 32 inch pots. My mounting plate is on an aluminum gunnel which is not quite as solid as some fiberglass gunnels, but hasn't been a problem with rigidity at this point. I like the idea of an extension but am wondering if adding the extra height might increase the forces acting on the base an cause it to fail. Has anyone experienced this problem with the extensions? Don't want to snap the whole thing off on a big load of crabs! Thanks for any input on this.

I have a NR Seahawk with the standard down-rigger mounts. I also have 6 of those famous Fish On Jon pots and been pulling the up from 165 feet down for many years now with no problem.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #13
ArtfulDodger
Steelhead

I've been very pleased with my scotty pot puller. My 5 year old used it this year and pulled his pots in like a pro.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:39 PM   #14
Threeweight
Ifish Nate

Love mine. Got it while visiting family in Seattle when Costco was having a sale on them during shrimping season (like $350 I think?)
Old 12-03-2019, 08:28 PM   #15
socket985
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolen05 View Post
I am thinking about getting a Scotty pot puller. Does anyone use one? I would be crabbing in less than 100’. How does the Scotty compare to the ace Brutus?
I have one, routinely pull stuffed full crab pots that are weighted (50-75 lbs) in 100-150 ft of water all day long. The nice part about it, is they will handle sectioned - mis matched rope and other flaws or weights in the line. I picked this one because the large pulley will coil the rope with ease.
socket985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:47 PM   #16
bendavis
Tuna!

Ive only shrimped with the scotty pot puller. its got just enough torque to pull a deep heavy pot. I think its a great compact design.
bendavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:02 AM   #17
Paddler
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheEdge View Post
Did you mean to say that your gunnels are aluminum?

The question or whether the torque at the gunnel is increased by the extension depends on the pulling angle. If the angle is straight down, ie, parallel to the extension, there would be no increase. If the angle is 90* to the extension, the torque would be increased by the relative height above the gunnel. If the stock height is 4" above the gunnel, the height of the puller itself, then the height with the extension would be 16", the torque would be increased fourfold. The smaller the angle, the smaller the increase in torque.

I really like mine, too. Not sure I need the extension, though.

Single main, no kicker.

Last edited by Paddler; 12-04-2019 at 07:22 AM.
Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:13 AM   #18
Brokeass Boater
Chromer

I have had mine for 4 seasons now, routinely crab 150-300' deep, great unit. Never heard any complaints from the crew, they love it in fact. We really don't have a problem grabbing and lifting full pots from the water level, I prefer it for my boat. I can see the extension being a nice upgrade in decent conditions, but I wouldn't want a pot swinging into my glass boat's finish with the short boom Scotty's have in some nautical conditions,,,gregg
Brokeass Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:36 AM   #19
Kingkiller
Ifish Nate

The side of our boat is scared by pulling the Fishermen Marine Supply Crab Pots over the side. They have been weighted and with numerous crabs they can get heavy fast. Several dabs of white paint covers the scratches but they are there. Anything to get it higher up would be a benefit IMO. My back tells me that plus when we have rookies on board that get the idea to get the trap in ASAP putting a niche here and there. Even after instructions of straight up and over.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:49 PM   #20
Threeweight
Ifish Nate

A chunk of carpet, or an astro-turf door mat, in a 3x4' or so size with some snaps/cord/zip ties/etc... added to hold it in place will protect your boat from crab pot damage.

I use cheap Danielsons w/ bricks or $1 gym weights I get from Goodwill. The vinyl on them seems to do a decent job of preventing scratches on my tin can.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #21
Soulakala
King Salmon

I use a ACE pulled but still need to pull the pot over the gunnel and with a full pot that can be an effort. To keep the boat from getting scratched I hang a 4x6 shop rug over the side held in place by two HD spring clamps.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:39 PM   #22
bolen05
Chromer

Good ideas!
Old 12-07-2019, 11:29 AM   #23
Slowsmokinhic
Steelhead

Great info guys 😉 Been kicking the can for a scotty in the future. My ? is. Are there any hiccups with the short boom? Maybe pots hanging up on the bottom of boat?
Old 12-07-2019, 02:22 PM   #24
Rseas
Coho

We have a Scotty puller and it works great. In our set up I am running an offshore bracket with the puller going diagonally off the aft starboard corner of my transom. So far the boat tends to drift diagonally away from the pull when pulling a pot. When the pot is almost up I grab it and set it on the OS bracket. Easy-peazy and no mess inside the boat.
Rseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:08 PM   #25
schaeway
Tuna!

No issues at all with short boom, works great!
schaeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:07 AM   #26
BlackDogFishMT
Cutthroat

For scratch prevention I use a thick rubber mat that is 4' x6' folded in half. It's about the thickness of 1/3rd of a horse blanket. Heavy enough not to slide or bounce off in waves but thick enough to save the top of my transom/side of my Weldcraft from most of the dings.

Last edited by BlackDogFishMT; 12-08-2019 at 07:07 AM. Reason: typo
BlackDogFishMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:12 AM   #27
wack0
Tuna!

I've been looking a the Ace line puller for a cannon Mag10s base but like the looks of the Scotty. Anyone know if a Scotty can be adapted to fit a Cannon base? If not, any input on the Ace for Cannon puller. Not trying to hijack. Sorry.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:05 AM   #28
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wack0 View Post
I've been looking a the Ace line puller for a cannon Mag10s base but like the looks of the Scotty. Anyone know if a Scotty can be adapted to fit a Cannon base? If not, any input on the Ace for Cannon puller. Not trying to hijack. Sorry.

As you have seen the Scotty puller and the ACE Brutus are completely two different pullers. The ACE has the advantage with one attachment to become not only a puller but a line coiler and auto pull, no hands on the line. I've had two ACE pullers and they have been great, I'm sure the Scotty is also a good unit with both being easily carried in the boat out of the elements.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #29
Threeweight
Ifish Nate

You can buy a Scotty to Cannon adapter plate, or make your own out of some aluminum stock, but they are not quickly removable (more of a bolt on thing). What I did was just install a Scotty rail mount downrigger set up and use it for nothing but the puller. It's out of the way, inexpensive and works great.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #30
wack0
Tuna!

Thanks guys.
Leaning toward the Ace.
Now if I can only find $550. in my couch cushions!
Old 12-12-2019, 06:42 AM   #31
Fiskiller
Cutthroat

I have an ace puller and I put it on modified Scotty mounts works great. My Scotty downrigger still work.Carpet is a must. I fish out of an Arima and I've beefed up underneath the gunnels to support the crab pots and the puller and everything else. I've beefed up both sides that way I can move the pot puller back and forth. Hardwired to the batteries with a waterproof plug.
Fiskiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:47 AM   #32
wack0
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskiller View Post
I fish out of an Arima and I've beefed up underneath the gunnels to support the crab pots and the puller and everything else.
I have an Arima also. Interested in how you "beefed up" the gunnels? The seem pretty dang solid to me but worry about the amount of stress on the mounts..
Any pics? You can PM me so not to hi-jack this thread.