new NR seahawk - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 12-02-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
maxxumjetboat
Steelhead

Default new NR seahawk

my new 22ft seahawk will be here in a couple weeks.
I wan t to add flush mount scotty rod holder bases,
anybody do this on their north river? do I need to
worry about stress cracks around the holes drilled ?
cant remember the size of the hole, I know its over a inch.

thank you
jeff

maxxumjetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 12:51 PM   #2
Tinman

Default Re: new NR seahawk

I have no opinion on your question......but CONGRATULATIONS on your new ride!
Old 12-02-2019, 01:41 PM   #3
jokofish
Chromer

Maxxum,
I am not sure if this is what you are talking about, but this is the way (flush) I have always mounted my Scotty's and they work great (see pic). on the mounts, I did switch from the Scotty to this other brand due to the aluminum construction but still run the Scotty holder and the hole pattern was the same as Scotty. They are made locally and sold at Fisherman's. Congrats on the new NRSH! Have you gone down to the factory to see it in process? If not, I would recomend doing so. Very cool
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8305.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	735159  

Last edited by jokofish; 12-02-2019 at 03:26 PM.
jokofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
No Reservations
Tuna!

Stress cracks should not be a problem. The problem I did have was corrosion once the paint had been compromised stainless steel screws also contribute because of the dissimilar metals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No Reservations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:28 PM   #5
tailchaser
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxumjetboat View Post

thank you
jeff
I've mounted a lot of Scotties to my sleds over the years and the advise I can give you is buy a couple of different style mounts only with a single rod holder. Go all around the boat with a rod in the holder and see if the mount works and gives enough room for the rod not only sitting in the holder but if it also allows the ability to get it out. Too many times friends of mine have mounted Scotty's only to do it too far forward with flush mounts and find that the rod no longer fits. Those locations usually become bait tray's. If you're wanting the flush look, there are simple extensions like the one shown that can help but they don't always hold up to a tuna strike or a heavy halibut rig dragging bottom.

Also keep in mind with the flush mounts they're not totally waterproof when closed. So whatever cavity you're drilling out you may not want water in it. Buddy of mine did one right over the top of the batteries, he couldn't figure out why he had such bad corrosion on them until I pointed it out.

tc
tailchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
Drinkin' Buddy
Fry

Maxxum,

First off congrats on the new ride. I have a 24' NR hardtop starting in a few weeks. to answer your question so long as you are drilling with a quality hole saw you should be golden. Not sure if you are dug in on the Scotty's or not but if not, give the burnewiin's a hard look. I've researched the heck out of this same thing and if you're heading offshore the BW's are a much, much stouter solution. A little bigger hole to drill but you get a bullet proof set up long term. Just MHO. Awesome ride, enjoy it!

GB
Drinkin' Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:44 PM   #7
No Reservations
Tuna!

Do they make aluminum screws it sure would reduce corrosion maybe strength might be a problem.

Old 12-02-2019, 08:36 PM   #8
garyk
King Salmon

Quote:
thank you jeff

Jeff, you might give some thought to whether you really want fixed position rod holders. Maybe yes. Maybe no. There's lots of reasons to adjust the positions and that's why slider tracks are popular. (On my Seahawk I installed the MacTrak system which appears to be a Delrin-like material and use Folbes. I like it.)

"Our best hatcheries, our most resilient, efficient and lasting hatcheries are in fact healthy rivers."

"Keep Public Lands Public - Now and Forever"
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:10 AM   #9
Tesoro
Tuna!

A few comments:

- Think 10 times, measure thrice and then drill once on your aluminum boat!!

- https://www.ultratef-gel.com/product.../ultratef-gel/

- Service all your ss fasteners once a year. Take em off one by one and brush clean/re-lubricate with the above goop. You will retard galvanic corrosion if you do this religiously. The paint bubbling that you will see around your male snaps and other thru hull drill holes is not 'paint bubbling' but is the alum underneath corroding and expanding outwards. This is called crevice corrosion and happens when salt water seeps between the paint film and the alum where a hole is drilled ( or a scratch in paint). An anaerobic chemical reaction occurs that creates an acid that eats up the aluminum. Tef-gel prolongs the inevitable on the canvas snaps if you remove them and apply when brand new.

- If you order a tub of tef-gel get a dozen applicators as they bend with use.
Tesoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #10
Threeweight
Ifish Nate

Congrats!

+1 on investing in a tube of TeffGel, and treating any holes you drill in the boat with the stuff to reduce the potential for corrosion. It electrically isolates the aluminum from any stainless fasteners going through it. Also, only use quality marine-grade 316 stainless fasteners (avoid cheap Home Depot stuff).

When flush mounting, use the biggest washers you can fit on the underside to reduce stress on the aluminum. It's not a bad idea to also use a plastic washer under the stainless one to reduce corrosion potential as well.

Last edited by Threeweight; 12-03-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Threeweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:45 PM   #11
socket985
Chromer

Quote:

thank you
jeff

Go have the miller marine rail system installed. The Scotty's mount to blocks which are attached to an aluminum rail that allows them to slide and be positioned anywhere you want. This also means your not drilling holes in your new boat. Miller Marine bait/salmon cleaning trays and there River anchor nest is also a must have for your new boat.
socket985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:48 PM   #12
socket985
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Jeff, you might give some thought to whether you really want fixed position rod holders. Maybe yes. Maybe no. There's lots of reasons to adjust the positions and that's why slider tracks are popular. (On my Seahawk I installed the MacTrak system which appears to be a Delrin-like material and use Folbes. I like it.)

I agree 100 percent. I move the rod holders on the rail all the time. Different people and different fishing (Salmon trolling/down riggers/halibut) mean they all are located at different locations all the time.
socket985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:57 PM   #13
No Reservations
Tuna!

Default new NR seahawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by socket985 View Post
Go have the miller marine rail system installed. The Scotty's mount to blocks which are attached to an aluminum rail that allows them to slide and be positioned anywhere you want. This also means your not drilling holes in your new boat. Miller Marine bait/salmon cleaning trays and there River anchor nest is also a must have for your new boat.

I have the miller marine rail system. It’s is very versatile but I really dislike the way the rod holders flex up and down on the sliding rail especially when halibut fishing.You just can’t tighten them enough once you get them where want them. At least I can’t seem to get them tight.

His customer service is second to none I might add!

I also might add I had flush mount rod holders on my old North. River on the rear transom. I loved them for halibut and also for holding the rods when traveling to a new fishing spot on the water.

WesWitty

Last edited by No Reservations; 12-04-2019 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:41 AM   #14
maxxumjetboat
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokofish View Post
Maxxum,
I am not sure if this is what you are talking about, but this is the way (flush) I have always mounted my Scotty's and they work great (see pic). on the mounts, I did switch from the Scotty to this other brand due to the aluminum construction but still run the Scotty holder and the hole pattern was the same as Scotty. They are made locally and sold at Fisherman's. Congrats on the new NRSH! Have you gone down to the factory to see it in process? If not, I would recomend doing so. Very cool
I like that rod holder setup, I had the same setup in my willie raptor.
I bought a 2019 from clemons, didn't go to the factory.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:45 AM   #15
maxxumjetboat
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
I've mounted a lot of Scotties to my sleds over the years and the advise I can give you is buy a couple of different style mounts only with a single rod holder. Go all around the boat with a rod in the holder and see if the mount works and gives enough room for the rod not only sitting in the holder but if it also allows the ability to get it out. Too many times friends of mine have mounted Scotty's only to do it too far forward with flush mounts and find that the rod no longer fits. Those locations usually become bait tray's. If you're wanting the flush look, there are simple extensions like the one shown that can help but they don't always hold up to a tuna strike or a heavy halibut rig dragging bottom.

Also keep in mind with the flush mounts they're not totally waterproof when closed. So whatever cavity you're drilling out you may not want water in it. Buddy of mine did one right over the top of the batteries, he couldn't figure out why he had such bad corrosion on them until I pointed it out.

didn't think about water intrusion, thank you
tc
Old 12-05-2019, 07:48 AM   #16
maxxumjetboat
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drinkin' Buddy View Post
Maxxum,

First off congrats on the new ride. I have a 24' NR hardtop starting in a few weeks. to answer your question so long as you are drilling with a quality hole saw you should be golden. Not sure if you are dug in on the Scotty's or not but if not, give the burnewiin's a hard look. I've researched the heck out of this same thing and if you're heading offshore the BW's are a much, much stouter solution. A little bigger hole to drill but you get a bullet proof set up long term. Just MHO. Awesome ride, enjoy it!

GB
never heard of that brand of rod holders, I will research them.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:51 AM   #17
maxxumjetboat
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesoro View Post
A few comments:

- Think 10 times, measure thrice and then drill once on your aluminum boat!!

- https://www.ultratef-gel.com/product.../ultratef-gel/

- Service all your ss fasteners once a year. Take em off one by one and brush clean/re-lubricate with the above goop. You will retard galvanic corrosion if you do this religiously. The paint bubbling that you will see around your male snaps and other thru hull drill holes is not 'paint bubbling' but is the alum underneath corroding and expanding outwards. This is called crevice corrosion and happens when salt water seeps between the paint film and the alum where a hole is drilled ( or a scratch in paint). An anaerobic chemical reaction occurs that creates an acid that eats up the aluminum. Tef-gel prolongs the inevitable on the canvas snaps if you remove them and apply when brand new.

- If you order a tub of tef-gel get a dozen applicators as they bend with use.

I will get some ordered, thank you
Old 12-05-2019, 09:50 PM   #18
Gundog
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Reservations View Post
I have the miller marine rail system. It’s is very versatile but I really dislike the way the rod holders flex up and down on the sliding rail especially when halibut fishing.You just can’t tighten them enough once you get them where want them. At least I can’t seem to get them tight.

His customer service is second to none I might add!

I have new rod holder mounts out that remove all the flex from the holders and I also have a retrofit exchange program you can send in your old mounts and I re-manufacture them to the new design..
Gundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:54 PM   #19
No Reservations
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundog View Post
I have new rod holder mounts out that remove all the flex from the holders and I also have a retrofit exchange program you can send in your old mounts and I re-manufacture them to the new design..

Thanks that sounds great! Again super customer service.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:16 AM   #20
Kingkiller
Ifish Nate

I started a thread 'North River Improvements' that the OP may want to look at for ideas on how to get the biggest bang. Lots of good ideas on the thread.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:18 PM   #21
SpinnerMan
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingkiller View Post
I started a thread 'North River Improvements' that the OP may want to look at for ideas on how to get the biggest bang. Lots of good ideas on the thread.

Here's Kingkiller's thread:

https://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=1591815
SpinnerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:01 PM   #22
NorthRiverRick
Tuna!

Do Not put flush mount holders in your gunnels!!!

I did that when I had my Seahawk and they always leak into or onto whatever is underneath. Use one of those other great options for mounting versatility suggested above.

Buy yourself a tube of TefGel now! Don’t wait for the boat delivery. Use it on every hole and screw that you put in your aluminum.

Congrats on the new boat.

Cheers,

Sea Sport 2400
NorthRiverRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:58 AM   #23
927f
Steelhead

I like the Miller marine rails with the new upgraded mounts. It eliminates the movement of the old ones. I am always moving them.
927f is offline   Reply With Quote