Shotgun fit gurus ?? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 12-01-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
steelheadslayer
King Salmon

Default Shotgun fit gurus ??

I have an A5 that I've struggled with since buying. I have a SX3 that fits me like a glove. I've researched the measurements and the only difference is the SX3 drop at comb is 1 3/8" where as the A5 is 1 3/4" drop at comb. How much of the rib should I be seeing when mounting, on the A5 I see more rib than the SX3 but not too terrible much. So, what can I do to improve the A5's sight picture?

Immediately they left their nets and followed him. Matthew 4:20

"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em"-Phil Robertson
steelheadslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2019, 11:03 AM   #2
joeer77
Chromer

Default Re: Shotgun fit gurus ??

With your cheek on the stock the rib should like like a rectangular box. If you can see the top of rib then either your not getting your cheek down or your stock is too high.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
joeer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:40 AM   #3
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Ignore the measurements. Sounds like you’re trying to fit your body to the gun. That doesn’t work. You shouldn’t need to do anything. Stand facing a wall, gun lowered, head vertical. Close your eyes, mount the gun so the butt hits your shoulder at the same time the comb hits your cheek. DO NOT MOVE YOUR HEAD. Open your eyes and see how your eye looks down the rib. If your eye isn’t centered on the rib, the gun doesn’t fit. You should not move your head to make it fit. If you mount the gun right handed and you are looking down the left side, the comb needs to be moved to the right. Sort of depends on the gun how you fix it. If your eye is on the right, the comb need to be moved toward your cheek. DO NOT MOVE YOUR HEAD.

As far as up and down goes, you’ll need to fix the other problem first. Now you’re ready to shoot at paper. The center of the pattern should be slightly above your point of aim. This sort of depends on how you normally hold on a bird. Cover it with the bead or see it above. There is no right way. Make sure you shoot the paper the same way you shoot birds. If your barrel has two beads, the front bead is typically stacked on top of the rear bead to form a figure 8. DO NOT MOVE YOUR HEAD. That is just a starting point. If the gun shoots where you want it to with this sight picture, great, you’re done. It’s all about where the gun shoots in relation to the sight picture, not the sight picture its self. It’s okay if the front and rear beads have a gap between them and you can see the top of the rib, if the gun shoots where you want it to. If at any time you need to move your head to get the gun to shoot where it should, the gun doesn’t fit. If you gotta think about the sight picture, the gun doesn’t fit. Two different guns can have completely different sight pictures and still shoot to the same point of aim. Your shooting eye must be centered on the rib with zero head movement as the first step in good gun fit. This is how the A-5’s fit me. Zero head movement.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2019, 12:17 PM   #4
jimh
King Salmon

I agree. They fit or they don’t. Fwiw, A5 doesn’t fit me either which is why I don’t own one. I kept mine for a while but was tired of missing easy shots.

Don’t worry though the A5 has a big following, and I’m sure someone will want to buy it from you. I guess you could restock it, but I think that’s a lot of money just to be able to shoot the A5.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #5
steelheadslayer
King Salmon

Maybe I'm overthinking it, I haven't shot it a lot since I bought it but the figure 8 on the beads is what I'm looking at when mounted. I like the gun and considered selling it but I want to try it out more first. The SX3 fits like a glove and feels like an extension of my arm, same with my Cynergy and both Citoris. Maybe I just need to get more comfortable with the A5, the inertia compared to the gas operation is a difference I'm trying to get used too.
Immediately they left their nets and followed him. Matthew 4:20

"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em"-Phil Robertson
steelheadslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:21 PM   #6
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I can’t shoot Citories and a lot of other guns for that matter. All guns that don’t fit have one thing in common, I look down the left side of the rib. On wood stocked guns it isn’t always a huge problem as a dose of precise woodworking can fix the problem. Wood can also be bent but this costs money. I honestly don’t know how much and only a few people do it. The inletting where stock meets steel is another option. Barrels can also be bent for guns that shoot high or low. Probably cheaper than stock work a person can’t do themself. Another trick with modern guns with screw in chokes is having a custom choke made that puts the pattern where you want it. I think there is more than one process to achieve this. One involves the choke, the other the barrel. Every problem has a solution.

I had an 11-87 that that didn’t shoot high enough to suite me. It had a two bead rib so I took the front one off which helped. You’d never notice the missing bead while looking down the barrel.

Some guns have adjustable butt stocks but this does no good for those that don’t.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:52 PM   #7
Flatfish
King Salmon

Tape a piece of foam pipe insulation (Like you use to wrap mooching rigs on), that's cut in half, onto comb. Easy to slice away foam until you get a solid cheek weld.

If you hit like magic, then raise the comb with more permanent pads. Should be available from any trap/skeet/clays type place.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:58 PM   #8
Stick'em
King Salmon

Sell it and buy another shotgun that "fits like a glove."
Old 12-01-2019, 02:13 PM   #9
RayandMandi
Tuna!

Have you shot a pattern board? I coach a highschool trap team and I don't care how good the gun "feels" if you haven't patterned it you really have no idea how it is actually "shooting". Send me a PM if you want to talk specifics and adjustment ideas

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
RayandMandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:21 PM   #10
baltz526
King Salmon

If you are seeing too much rib. Try a slip on recoil pad.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #11
dla
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayandMandi View Post
Have you shot a pattern board? I coach a highschool trap team and I don't care how good the gun "feels" if you haven't patterned it you really have no idea how it is actually "shooting". Send me a PM if you want to talk specifics and adjustment ideas

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
+ 1
Old 12-02-2019, 12:29 PM   #12
dla
Ifish Nate

Btw, if you want read about the thrashing I went through to make the best of my shotgun fit, read https://sites.google.com/site/hobbyh...ock-adjustment
|

But seriously, take that offer from Rayandmandi for help.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #13
444Marlin
Tuna!

My bird dog is probably the biggest advocate of me buying a gun that fits. I don't know how many birds I missed where he looked up at me and said, "Really?! You couldn't hit THAT?!....You need to buy a new shotgun that fits you better!"

After about a dozen gun purchases, he started saying, "...I don't think it's the gun!"
444Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:38 PM   #14
DogZilla15
King Salmon

.444: Your dog talks???

Had an old guy tell me, when the bird flushes, your body and gun should move in that direction so when gun meets shoulder and cheek, the bird should be where you don't need to go looking for it. I try to mount the gun with the correct lead already dialed in. Called, instinctive shooting.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #15
444Marlin
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
.444: Your dog talks???
Yes, he talks. But more importantly he points birds! AND, retrieves them! But only when I can hit them...which isn't often enough.
444Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote