Have you ever missed a big game animal with a rifle? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

View Poll Results: Have you missed big game animals with a rifle?
No way, I no my limitations. 13 10.66%
1-5 96 78.69%
6-10 8 6.56%
11-15 1 0.82%
More than 15 4 3.28%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2019, 06:30 PM   #1
jimh
King Salmon

Default Have you ever missed a big game animal with a rifle?

Another poll, have you ever missed a big game animal with a rifle. Maybe I’m conservative, but I never have. Maybe it’s because I grew up head shooting squirrels with a 22.

Sorry for the no instead of know and the other grammar error ... I can’t see how to edit the poll.

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2019, 06:41 PM   #2
Sneaker
Chromer

Default Re: Have you ever missed a big game animal with a rifle?

Yes. This poll should be binary.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
jimh
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaker View Post
Yes. This poll should be binary.
Probably, I’ll blame the Wild Turkey 101, ok?
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2019, 06:57 PM   #4
lingslayer
King Salmon

Just one.
With a borrowed rifle.
Filled my tag 3 days later in the same spot, with my own rifle.

ETA: My BIL killed the one I missed, about one minute after I missed it.

Last edited by lingslayer; 11-29-2019 at 06:59 PM.
lingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
winmag
Steelhead

I've missed...more than once.

Always the same root cause of rushed shots and/or jerking the trigger
winmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:29 PM   #6
DB Crouper
Ifish Nate

In 59 hunting seasons I could write a Bob Dylan copyright violation:
I've missed them when I'm driving in my car
I've missed them while I'm playing my guitar
I've missed them like they said I would
I've missed them and hit my hood
I should not feel so all alone
Everybody must miss some
DB Crouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:47 PM   #7
ClearCreek
Steelhead

I once heard a crusty old deer hunter tell a blow hard, "If you haven't missed, you haven't hunted much".

I kinda like that statement.

ClearCreek
ClearCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:58 PM   #8
Twodogs
Tuna!

Watched a bull elk for 10 min in my scope then missed him at 18 yards way over confident.
Twodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:16 PM   #9
wildwood
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearcreek View Post
i once heard a crusty old deer hunter tell a blow hard, "if you haven't missed, you haven't hunted much".

Clearcreek
bingo!!!
wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:24 PM   #10
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I was handed a gun and began hunting with zero trigger time behind a centerfire rifle. The rifle I was handed was sighted in by someone else so had no idea where it hit. Got to around a hundred feet from the buck which was bedded when I began the stalk but was now standing looking at me, broadside. Had a steady aim while resting the rifle on an old dead snag. Squeezed the trigger with the front sight resting perfectly behind the front shoulder. My first miss. How was that possible. Repeated the effort, second miss. Impossible, was doing everything right. Chambered another round, figured I better adjust my aim. Held on the lower hairline behind the shoulder and fired. Buck jumped a bit but just stood there again, thought I missed. Shot number four, I held around a foot under the buck and put the bullet dead center through the lungs. Had my first buck, second day of deer season 1960.

Next year I was packing my dad’s Model 12 with slugs, he was walking with me. We came over a little rise and a fork was standing in front of us around 35/40 ft. I fired three time, flinched like hell and hit air over the buck all three shots. Dad handed me his ‘06 and I broke the bucks back. Two deer, 5 misses.

Missed a couple of running deer after that, probably shot in front of them like I would shoot birds with a shotgun.

Walked up on a nice 4X5 right at sunup. I was above him in the shade, he was in the sun below with a spike and two does. Distance to the big boy was around 30 ft. at most. He had his head down feeding so I began to raise my rifle and he raised his head, spotting me instantly. Wasting no time he began to turn so I had no opportunity to find him in the scope. Looked over the scope and tried to hold on his neck but missed. All this happened in less than 5 seconds. Was trying to break his neck as he ran away but he was moving kind of erratically and I missed three more times. He turned to head up the hill and I shot over his back when he came into the open. This entire encounter lasted no more than 15 seconds. I haven't missed since that day. Don’t remember the date but it was probably the early 70’s. Finally had my own gun, a nice Remington 721 in .30-‘06. Shot several bucks and two bulls with that rifle.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:26 PM   #11
RayandMandi
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
bingo!!!
X3

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
RayandMandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:43 PM   #12
Megaphone
Steelhead

I've missed mostly when I was a teenager. Buck fever is real and while I've gotten much better at controlling it my excitement still is tough to control. The bull I killed this year was feeding and had no idea I was there and I put my scope on him 3 different times before i pulled the trigger. I've always told myself that this is due to how much I love hunting but maybe that's just and excuse I give myself
Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:06 PM   #13
jagermiester
Steelhead

I usually don’t miss, but when I do, they are freaking BIG!
jagermiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:08 PM   #14
444Marlin
Tuna!

Missed a bull standing broadside at about 45 yards with my rifle. I totally flinched and shot right under him. Stupid. It was part buck fever but I also just climbed up a mountain side to get into position when he walked out quicker and closer than I expected.
444Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:51 PM   #15
jimh
King Salmon

I don’t think it’s about how many times someone has shot or how much they hunted. As noted, some people miss at the beginning of their hunting career.

Also, as I noted, I haven’t missed because I’m taking conservative shots and not trying to stretch my ability. For instance, I would never shoot at a running deer even though it’s not supposed to be that hard.

My trigger squeeze is automatic. Part of that is from prior hunting experience, and part of that is from intense years of competitive shooting with mostly bows but also with pistols.

My father missed every deer he ever shot at with bow or gun. He wasn’t a bad shot (he was at least marksman with every weapons in WW II), but shooting at a deer was a different process for him.I wish he would killed one before he died.

Lately, I’ve watched a few youtube videos with kids missing approximately 50 yd shots on relatively unalert nonmoving deer. It’s interesting to me. No, I’m not chastising, just wondering how much of this is truly Buck fever. Nevertheless, they are missing what I consider to be a relatively large target at close range. No solution ... just kind of a question.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:57 PM   #16
joe_camo
King Salmon

Once, it was a mule deer at 75 yards. I was going to harvest a doe for meat with a 357 marlin lever action. Now, at 75 yards I can drive a tack with this gun. I was shooting 158 grain jacketed hollow points and had ultimate confidence.

The only issue was a few blades of grass and one sprig of sage brush. I put the sights on the bread basket and start to think of all the work that is about to happen, pull the trigger and the doe runs away without a hint of injury, she runs off over the flat and picks up speed going uphill - nothing is wrong with that animal.

I searched for two hours for any hint of a blood trail and nothing, at that range or at 200 yards I do not miss with that weapon. That bullet was defected at about 45 yards and never found the intended target. Just to be sure I spent another two days looking for that animal but never filed the tag on another animal - just in case.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:05 PM   #17
Flatfish
King Salmon

Once in 30 years.

Pronghorn at 230 yards. Adrenaline got the best of me......shut my eyes and yanked the trigger. Missed him clean.

Caught up with him a few minutes later and did my job correctly.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:29 AM   #18
Gills92
Steelhead

Needs an option for, "Not yet."

I've only been hunting on 5 tags and have been blessed enough to have one shot kills on the 3 bucks I have had in my sights. I know the day will come, and I fear it. Probably why I have connected on all three so far.
Gills92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:17 AM   #19
jokester
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearCreek View Post
I once heard a crusty old deer hunter tell a blow hard, "If you haven't missed, you haven't hunted much".

ClearCreek
This is 100% accurate! If you've hunted long enough, it's not IF you'll miss, it's WHEN 🙂

-jokester

"Pull a few weeds while you're resting..." - Grandpa

Romans 8:28
jokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:25 AM   #20
tailchaser
Sturgeon

Missing an animal and knowing your range are two completely different things in terms of assuming you missed solely because of distance. There are a lot of factors that come into play when hitting or missing a target. Range is only one of them.

I’ve missed several animals in my life, none that will live in my brain more than a 400”+ bull in Utah. A perfect 6x6 to boot. Not sure I’ll ever lay eyes on another one in that caliber with a tag in my pocket. FYI the reason I missed had nothing to do with my effective range in case someone was wondering.

Tc

Last edited by tailchaser; 11-30-2019 at 08:26 AM.
tailchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:35 AM   #21
Calcoyote
Chromer

Took my 10 year old son hunting with me in Colorado. He dropped my gun and it knocked the zero off on my scope. Later that day I missed several shots at the largest buck I have ever shot at. It was NOT my son's fault. I was STUPID for not checking the zero on my scope. My fault.

Another time I missed a shot on a good size Blacktail because I did not have a shell in the chamber. I put the crosshairs on him, pulled the trigger and all I heard was CLICK. By the time I racked a shell in the chamber the buck was gone.

Another time I missed a buck that was SO CLOSE that when I threw my rifle up to take the shot all I could see was fur in the scope (about a 12 yard shot with a 7mm mag). He ran off unhurt. There was no blood. There was no fur. I followed his tracks for a long ways with NO sign of being hit. I just missed him is all.

All three of the above happened over 25 years ago. I have learned from my mistakes.

I have also made some SPECTACULAR shots on other animals over the years including a very good shot on an Idaho Whitetail just last week.

Oh, I forgot the monster antelope I missed in August of 1987. That one still haunts me, but I connected on another one almost as good a few days later.

Last edited by Calcoyote; 11-30-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Calcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:18 AM   #22
Newclear Fishin
Tuna!

I attribute my blood hound abilities too 2 things. My surveyors eyes and all the misses I've made. When you grow up off the grid in what my friends would say is the nastiest brushiest steepest section in the alsea unit with a 30-30, you get really good at looking for blood that isn't there and figuring out what went wrong. I could take you on a bullets in trees tour on my property. Don't remember any miss was over 80 yards. Probably because past 80 yards im usually taking shots with a good rest and unaware animal and dont miss.

I also think you need to shoot your rifle before your hunt. Ive only been going east for about 8 years but i am about 30-40 clicks high with my 30-30 when im sighted in just above sea level and take shots at 6000ft in eastern Oregon. Seems like a lot to me but it happens every time.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:36 AM   #23
Quaka Wacka
Ifish Nate

Little bit of a loaded poll...? Appears that your more than just asking a question, but making a suggestion or statement. I don’t believe a miss equals a person shooting beyond their ability. Shooting within your ability means taking high percentage shots.

Like most folks the majority of my misses were when I was young and learning how to hunt. Even including them I’m just over 93% hit/recovery percentage. Exclude those and I am 98%. Im happy with that. If that started to drop, I’d need to re-evaluate my decision making.
Quaka Wacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:54 PM   #24
bradly11
King Salmon

I have one ‘season’ of rifle under my belt.
12 years old. Stepped out of the truck. Spotted a group of deer at about 125 yards off a logging deck.
One shot, dead deer. Turned to my dad and asked if that’s all there is to it. 2 minutes in, tagged out
Been chasing them with stick and string ever since and that’s a different story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by bradly11; 11-30-2019 at 07:55 PM.
bradly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:06 PM   #25
IdahoBeav
Ifish Nate

Twice with a rifle when I was a teenager

Many times with a bow and as recently as two years ago if an arrow deflected by a branch counts as a miss.

I don't so much miss anymore as I do pass up shot opportunities because I think they need to be perfect and they're not. The number of animals I've had within kill range that got away without a shot fired is quite impressive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2019, 08:21 PM   #26
SquarePeg
Tuna!

Most of my misses have been with iron sighted muzzleloaders trying to make a shot offhand that I shouldn't try. They're short range, just .. too many variables.

One was on a big bodied, small racked buck. I saw him coming up the hill toward me through the timber, then lost him. Figured he'd somehow peeled off and left. Nope. Next time I saw him was at about 50 yards. He was laying down behind a log below me and looking downhill. All I could see was his head and about 3 inches of neck. I tried to shoot him in the back of the head and muffed it.

Guess I didn't learn 'cause later that day, same ridge, I was walking home and glanced to my right. Huge, huge 4x4 standing there at 30 yards broadside looking right at me. I tried to "get cute" and break his neck .. missed.

The same season I missed another HUGE buck, big ol' palmated rack, 4x4, twice within 2 minutes at 25 yards (he was cornered in a crack in a rock face and hiding behind a tree I tried to shoot through), then again a few days later at 85 yards or so. I was going up to take another crack at him and found a smaller 4x4 which I shot .. smaller, but still my biggest buck to date. That other one was bigger by a good margin.

Missed one with a pistol .. I was climbing a steep ridge. Knew there was a buck up there, I'd seen him. Stepped up on a log, looked up, and there he was, 10-15 yards. I drew, thumb the hammer back, lined up the sights, and the log broke dumping me down the hill. I pointed as away from myself as I could and pulled the trigger so I wouldn't shoot myself when I landed.

But with a centerfire rifle, I can only think of one. .. and that's a story I can't tell 'cept to say I was 12, "pushed" by the nominally responsible adults to do something beyond my ability, and do it with an inappropriate gun, optics, and bullet for the situation. I've learned a bit including when to be stubborn and say "no."
Old 11-30-2019, 08:40 PM   #27
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Missed a timber tiger at 15 feet once. With a 12 gauge, and peasant shot.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:25 PM   #28
Joe
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB Crouper View Post
Everybody must miss some
Poetry..
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:26 PM   #29
Hydrophilic
Tuna!

I was 13 or so, my dad left me at the top of a big opening. It was my first time hunting alone and of course right when he left I saw a big one on the edge of the timber, probably 350 yards. I got elk fever pretty bad and let a few rip, dont think I even got close, he didn’t stumble and just bolted. My dad came running back with his eyes wide open! We went down to check and verified no blood. I havent missed many since then but most of them have been under 100 yards.
Hydrophilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:48 PM   #30
M combs
Steelhead

If being honest... plenty when i was a teen.... missed a bull at 50 yds a few years back.... bull/ buck fever.... but ive killed deer 23/24 years
M combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:02 PM   #31
in 'em

When these discussions come up I find myself thinking about folks that hunted for subsistence throughout history. Cowboys and Indians, first settlers, even our parents and grandparents who didn’t have the conveniences we have today. Did they feel the same responsibility to make clean, quick kills? Did they wait for still, broadside shots within an effective range? Did they have these same conversations? Did they miss?

I agree there was more necessity and need back then than there is now, but the innate drive for subsistence is rooted in most of us...supporting yourself and your family, putting meat in the freezer yourself, taking part in the entire process. Are we under stricter ethics now than those who came before us?

It’s an honest question. If I NEEDED game meat to survive I’d take any shot I could on an animal. But I am very calculated and patient under most circumstances now. It’s an interesting dynamic...

I’ve missed, but mostly when I was younger. I’ve just learned a LOT by hunting and filming many folks. With a good rifle/scope/bipod/sandbag combo, it’s a big advantage. My 9 and 11 year old son’s have killed 10 or so big game animals now without a miss even, which I would’ve never imagined before they were old enough to hunt. I’m sure they’ll miss eventually, but they’re benefitting from things I’ve learned. Had I known what I know now when I was growing up I wouldn’t have missed much.

Style of hunting makes a big difference too. Spot and stalk or stand hunting (sitting and waiting), or methodical still hunting probably has a higher “ethical shot rating” than brush busting simply because there’s a good chance you’ll shoot an animal that’s not alert or moving. But making drives is super effective too, and in the right terrain I’d absolutely do it and shoot a moving animal. I’ve shot 2-3 bucks while they were moving actually. Lots of people do it.

In the end I’m reminded of a basketball saying...you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. Maybe I should’ve just said that...lol

Last edited by in 'em; 11-30-2019 at 10:15 PM.
in 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:41 AM   #32
Blacktail sniper
Tuna!

Missing a shot from time to time is part of hunting! I missed my buck twice this year before I got him. Turned out my scope was off. My fault for not shooting it before season, I must of hit it while dragging out my spring bear. Re sighted my rifle and missed a bull during the first season! Apparently I need practice at long ranges! Years ago I missed a big four point buck in the timber, 50 yards or so, I'll never know I missed, unseen branch, maybe I jerked the shot? It happens...
Blacktail sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:46 AM   #33
CKthumper
Sturgeon

"More than I care to admit" would have been a good option....Most of them poorly chosen through inexperience or over excitement. One that will baffle me forever was a deer wherein I had a prone shot at 100 +/- yds, held on the ribs. Complete airball, buck didn't flinch. Second shot, same hold, flopped him.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:06 AM   #34
traks44
Ifish Nate

I try and forget about the misses, especially when it comes to muzzleloader season it’s impossible to keep track of all the animals I have missed! I have missed 180 inch mulies, 160 inch whitetails, and 300+ inch bulls with rifles or archery gear. I have guided my brother in law on what would have been a new state record whitetail during rifle season to watch him miss 3 times within 100 yards. Next year watched him miss a legit 185 inch typical mule deer. We don’t hunt much together anymore lol.

This one did not escape on thanksgiving day.

Last edited by traks44; 12-01-2019 at 12:32 PM.
traks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:30 AM   #35
Timber hunter
Ifish Nate

I don’t miss often but I have missed two deer and one bull. On the deer one was to far and the other I’m not sure what happened, he did fall and roll down the hill but then got up and ran off. The only thing I can come up with is I hit his antlers and knocked him out temporarily. The elk was a small spike I was going to shoot in the head. Just as I shot he dropped his head for a bite that saved his life.
Timber hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:27 AM   #36
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB Crouper View Post

Everybody must miss some

Old 12-01-2019, 10:34 AM   #37
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagermiester View Post
...when I do, they are freaking BIG!

Very relatable

Old 12-01-2019, 03:16 PM   #38
SquarePeg
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by in 'em View Post
I agree there was more necessity and need back then than there is now, but the innate drive for subsistence is rooted in most of us...supporting yourself and your family, putting meat in the freezer yourself, taking part in the entire process. Are we under stricter ethics now than those who came before us?

I never heard any discussion of ethics from my grandfathers or my great grandfather. If there was a chance to shoot, you shot. I heard frustration over lost critters but never remorse.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:21 PM   #39
chuck combs
Steelhead

Look's to me that P.E.T.A is trying to set you all up!!!

Last edited by chuck combs; 12-02-2019 at 08:17 AM. Reason: add word
chuck combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:29 AM   #40
chummer
Sturgeon

Yes I have missed, but the one that I find interesting is the deer I killed that had no sign of gunshot wound. I found this deer bedded as I came over a small mound, looking right at me at a distance of about 40 yards. Shooting a .22-250 scope dialed at 2" high @ 100yd. I decided to try a head shot putting the cross hairs on it's nose. On the shot, it simply fell dead while still bedded. I could never find any sign of a wound anywhere. No exit wound, no blood at all anywhere! I decided that I must have missed but killed it with a heart attack
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:40 AM   #41
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Chummer: Had the same thing happen. I’d hit the deer but it was just a glancing shot and the bullet just bounced off the side of the deer and left a hole in the stomach. Didn’t penetrate more than an inch. No, it wasn’t a 7-‘08, it was a .30-06 with 165 gr. Partitions. Next shot the deer was broadside standing still around 40 yards away. The deer just disappeared at the shot, dropped like a rock, straight down. Never found a hole anywhere. The deer could have lived a couple of days with the first shot before it died from infection.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #42
blehto
Steelhead

Quote:

ClearCreek

So true!

blehto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:25 PM   #43
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck combs View Post
Look's to me that P.E.T.A is trying to set you all up!!!

Because a relatable and relevant hunting question was asked in public?
Old 12-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #44
Puffin
Sturgeon

In em rifle scope bipod sandbag where and what are you hunting? I hike in. the last thing I’m doing is lugging sandbags and bipods with me. Seems like hunting constitutes different things to different people I have a certain amount of weight I’m willing to carry with me I’m not driving around on a private piece of property I’m marching around in the public woods looking for an elk. I’m going to find the most stable rest I can and take the shot. An Elk doesn’t usually give you two chances to kill him he gives you one and it lasts a few seconds in my world. On my buddies ranch with 6000 acres and a deer to shoot it’s a little bit different story so I think it’s different depending on your situation. If you’ve never missed anything you probably haven’t shot at very much that’s my experience I have a saying shooting doesn’t mean Killing I don’t care if you’re hunting mice or moose Ducks or dogs it’s all the same
If the coast guard says GO FISH we do.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:07 PM   #45
in 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
In em rifle scope bipod sandbag where and what are you hunting? I hike in. the last thing I’m doing is lugging sandbags and bipods with me.

I should’ve said, it’s a small rabbit ear rear bag, 4lbs or so I hike in too. Northwest Oregon for blacktails and elk, SW for bears, in areas open to public, often hiking in where most don’t go...so yes, I “lug” a sandbag most times out...especially if my kids are shooting. Any hunting rifle I carry has a bipod now as well. The combination turns 70-80-90% shots into 99% shots.

I don’t mess around when it comes to making a shot, I use all the tools I can to avoid a track job. 9 out 10 shots I’ll use the bipod, 8 of 10 a sand bag now as well. Definitely wasn’t always this way! I’ve used plenty of stumps, taken off hand shots, off my pack, etc...I won’t hesitate to take a shot like that when necessary still, but when there’s time I just like taking as much wiggle out of a shot as I can. It boosts my confidence, extends my accuracy if a longer shot is necessary...and with less experienced hunters it can make a world of difference.

Last edited by in 'em; 12-02-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:16 AM   #46
Moosenose
Cutthroat

Quote:

ClearCreek

Very true.
Moosenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:28 AM   #47
Merganser99
Tuna!

Only one that I missed had a vine maple branch about 5 feet in front of the muzzle to thank! Hard to see them that close through a scope.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:17 PM   #48
Puffin
Sturgeon

Hey In Em I got a couple buddies from Idaho and Washington that carry a crown royal bag with them when they’re back in the area they are going to be hunting or hanging out in the stand or whatever they’re doing they fill the bag there on the way in and out it’s empty. Better than using one of your spare socks anyway
If the coast guard says GO FISH we do.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:29 PM   #49
in 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
Hey In Em I got a couple buddies from Idaho and Washington that carry a crown royal bag with them when they’re back in the area they are going to be hunting or hanging out in the stand or whatever they’re doing they fill the bag there on the way in and out it’s empty. Better than using one of your spare socks anyway

I’ve thought about that! Good reminder. Might do that at some point. I usually have enough weight the extra 4lbs isn’t the end of the world (tripod/camera/ammo/gun etc), but if the miles start to stretch out sand bag would be the first thing to go, and a good option to have a empty bag to use.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:14 PM   #50
Flatfish
King Salmon

Scissor for rear support. Good as a bag, and you can carry it on your belt.

Think I got mine from MOA.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:34 PM   #51
BarbDeep
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Yes I have missed, but the one that I find interesting is the deer I killed that had no sign of gunshot wound. I found this deer bedded as I came over a small mound, looking right at me at a distance of about 40 yards. Shooting a .22-250 scope dialed at 2" high @ 100yd. I decided to try a head shot putting the cross hairs on it's nose. On the shot, it simply fell dead while still bedded. I could never find any sign of a wound anywhere. No exit wound, no blood at all anywhere! I decided that I must have missed but killed it with a heart attack

I've killed an antelope that was the same way. It was a good goat so I took it to the taxi and had told him the story, when he skull capped it he sent the following picture... Turns out the shockwave was what put him down.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:38 PM   #52
BarbDeep
Chromer

Had to post from phone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97BEA416-718A-478A-9F1E-107E9554581E_1575513486253.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	735275