1st season coast elk - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 11-06-2019, 07:35 PM   #1
Leatherneck
Chromer

Default 1st season coast elk

How many of you are going to be chasing the elusive Roosevelt elk around for 4 days. We are headed to elk camp Thursday morning in the Trask unit. Unfortunately for our area they are prepping a major logging operation. We are all headed to Netarts bay Friday morning to bring back a bounty of dungeness crab back to camp. Always a treat at elk camp.

Last edited by Leatherneck; 11-06-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Leatherneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
fishinpox
Ifish Nate

Default Re: 1st season coast elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherneck View Post
How many of you are going to be chasing the elusive Roosevelt elk around for 4 days. We are headed to elk camp Thursday morning in the Trask unit. Unfortunately for our area they are prepping a major logging operation. We are all headed to Netarts bay Friday morning to bring back a bounty of dungeness crab back to camp. Always a treat at elk camp.

We will be leaving bright and early Saturday morning after dropping the toddler off at the in-laws Friday night. Nothing better than a 4 day mini vacation with the wife that's also a hunting trip!
Old 11-07-2019, 08:29 AM   #3
blackdog
Sturgeon

I'm dreading it more and more the closer we get to the weekend, but I'll be there hoping to tag out again. Hate the general, over the counter tag anxiety that comes with not knowing how many guys you're going to have to deal with trying to horn in on your hunt or if you're going to have to go to Plan B, C, or even D opening morning because there's rigs at every gate and pullout.

But once the pack goes on and the rifle's slung over the shoulder and I head up the trail in the pre-dawn darkness, the calm will come and it'll be enjoyable to be in the woods regardless. Or at least that's the hope.
blackdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2019, 01:27 PM   #4
SouthCoastStu
Tuna!

Out scouting for Tioga #1 today (we get 5 days). Went to plan A camp spot last night and was awoken at 4:20 am by the first log truck 😬.
Logging to beat the band in my favorite valley. Moved to plan B camo spot. Saw 3 does and one nice buck. Lots of tracks and can still smell them. Looks like it's going to be dry and hot ☹️. Oh, well better than being at work 😆
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MmsCamera_2019-11-07-11-46-15_1573160983776.jpg
Views:	978
Size:	526.4 KB
ID:	733695  

SouthCoastStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:35 PM   #5
finnelle
Steelhead

I will probably wake up around 1am from the parade of vehicles driving up to the war zone. I'll finally get out off bed around 4:30 am stoke the fire and start the coffee pot. Around 5:00am I'll get in my chair and turn on the police scanner. With the full moon I expect first calls into dispatch around 5:45am - 6:00am. The early calls are usually shooting before first light. Trespassing calls are usually soon after first light after farmers find dead elk in their fields with people they have never seen before. The fist fights start around 8:30 and tire slashing at 10:00. Road blocking calls usually don't happen until Sunday or Monday after people get tired being beat to "their spot" by the same people. 1st season elk sure brings out the best in people! Good luck out there.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:05 PM   #6
whitey375
Ifish Nate

I am. I found elk in a spot and have actually seen them as recently a 3 days ago. My concerns are getting beat to the road, and having someone drive in on top of me in the dark while I'm actually hiking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
whitey375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:07 PM   #7
roosevelt
King Salmon

taking my wife, look forward to it
roosevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:43 PM   #8
willametteriveroutlaw
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
taking my wife, look forward to it
What's your plans second season? In know a guy with vacation who's game..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

-Flatfish
willametteriveroutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:16 AM   #9
338Shooter
Fry

I will be out in the Trask hoping to get lucky and have you guys push the elk right into my lap.
338Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #10
DogZilla15
King Salmon

..338..... I like your plan. Hope it works out for you.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:54 AM   #11
338Shooter
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
..338..... I like your plan. Hope it works out for you.
Yeah I still am very inexperienced in the elk hunting game and really hope that I can get my camping spot I like out there. I heard a cow call and found a ton of sign when I was out deer hunting right before the end of the season so I am sure they are out there. I just know they will be pushed so hard by a lot of people.
338Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #12
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by willametteriveroutlaw View Post
What's your plans second season? In know a guy with vacation who's game..

i'm deer hunting, but there is a very good chance of finding some elk in the process, and I would happily take a break from deer if it looks promising.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #13
Sirfishalots
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnelle View Post
I will probably wake up around 1am from the parade of vehicles driving up to the war zone. I'll finally get out off bed around 4:30 am stoke the fire and start the coffee pot. Around 5:00am I'll get in my chair and turn on the police scanner. With the full moon I expect first calls into dispatch around 5:45am - 6:00am. The early calls are usually shooting before first light. Trespassing calls are usually soon after first light after farmers find dead elk in their fields with people they have never seen before. The fist fights start around 8:30 and tire slashing at 10:00. Road blocking calls usually don't happen until Sunday or Monday after people get tired being beat to "their spot" by the same people. 1st season elk sure brings out the best in people! Good luck out there.
PM sent
Sirfishalots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #14
DogZilla15
King Salmon

.338.... You’ll want to position yourself where you think they’ll go, not where you think they are. Bulls may not be with cows. More likely to find small good eating bulls with the cows than an older bull. I’d take the eater. If you can find a spot around your chosen area that has everything an elk needs, or at least nearby, but shows little if any sign, that may be where you can find Mr. Big. Look at a map. Put your self in the middle of the area that is farthest from a road if the cover is correct and has concealment getting there. Stay out of the good cover while you get to your spot, don’t want to spook the elk. When you get to the X, stay there, no moving around unless you absolutely need to.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:04 PM   #15
piscean
Chromer

Great thread ...now I know where not to go...or really go...or not

piscean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:27 PM   #16
lilnorthfork
Sturgeon

1st time ever elk hunting. Planning to enjoy being out there and learning and hope to have nothing to do with finelle's scanner traffic.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:39 PM   #17
willametteriveroutlaw
King Salmon

Quote:
i'm deer hunting, but there is a very good chance of finding some elk in the process, and I would happily take a break from deer if it looks promising.
Let me know, It'd be fun to hunt together again..

-Flatfish
Old 11-08-2019, 05:57 PM   #18
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by willametteriveroutlaw View Post
Let me know, It'd be fun to hunt together again..
agreed! some cool stuff going on terrain wise locally too, for elk hunting. that will give me a good excuse to do some exploring too.... and honestly, if the activity holds up, it could be a short deer season for me.... I found a crazy funnel today, and there have been lots of bucks going through there... not sure how big, but if it's not a dink, i'm not feeling really picky..... this ain't the year to hold out for my biggest buck. i'm a better big buck hunter when I have an elk in the freezer

let's keep in touch. i'll be in the woods a lot between now and then, and if I find a good scenario, I can wait on deer hunting. there are a couple bulls that used up their good luck in front of me this year.... I glassed one of them up yesterday
Old 11-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #19
willametteriveroutlaw
King Salmon

Quote:
agreed! some cool stuff going on terrain wise locally too, for elk hunting. that will give me a good excuse to do some exploring too.... and honestly, if the activity holds up, it could be a short deer season for me.... I found a crazy funnel today, and there have been lots of bucks going through there... not sure how big, but if it's not a dink, i'm not feeling really picky..... this ain't the year to hold out for my biggest buck. i'm a better big buck hunter when I have an elk in the freezer

let's keep in touch. i'll be in the woods a lot between now and then, and if I find a good scenario, I can wait on deer hunting. there are a couple bulls that used up their good luck in front of me this year.... I glassed one of them up yesterday
Pick up your phone one of these days ..

-Flatfish
Old 11-08-2019, 07:07 PM   #20
Gunaddict
Steelhead

Just got back home after scouting for Tioga elk. 4 legal bulls spotted this evening.
Gunaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:28 PM   #21
Angler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunaddict View Post
Just got back home after scouting for Tioga elk. 4 legal bulls spotted this evening.
Can you be more specific on location?

"Politicians are dividing Americans into two classes—those who work for a living and those who vote for a living."
Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:29 PM   #22
Nightvisionary
Steelhead

Im skipping it. The area we have hunted for 30 years has slowly been acquired and closed off by the weyehauser carpet baggers. The spot where I got my 4x4 in 2015 is now posted and the company has security roaming around. If I am going to spend several hundred dollars for access I may as well go out of state.
Nightvisionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:46 PM   #23
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
Can you be more specific on location?
hahaha.... yeah, help out your fellow ifishers, they'll keep it to themselves

good luck guys! tough conditions this year, should be good escapement with this weather.... after the first 2 hours, it will be a tough season
Old 11-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #24
Joe
King Salmon

First time packing a rifle during elk season in 32 years. I've been seeing a nice 6 point bull all week while looking for a buck with the muzzleloader but of course some more entitled people than myself blocked the road going into the area he has been in. There hadn't been a person in there in 5 days so I thought there was a chance but didn't want to deal with the kind of people who block Forest Service roads so I went on to plan B, C, and D and found people there so I respectfully backed out and found a spot to sit and wait for a bull (or a buck since I was also packing my muzzleloader) to get pushed by. It didn't take long...

I'll just post a link to Instagram as photobucket really seems to suck nowdays. Not a big bull but the first one I've ever shot at with a rifle.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4qD3hsnNwt/

Hopefully that works.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #25
Santiam338
Sturgeon

Nice job Joe...Congrats...
Old 11-09-2019, 12:42 PM   #26
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Should have taken him with the smoke pole! Nice going Joe and yes that will be fine eating, the big 6 pt., not so much.

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #27
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Way to get it done Joe. You shot the correct bull. Good eats.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:35 PM   #28
Joe
King Salmon

Thanks guys. Rank, if he had crossed where I expected him to I was leaning towards the muzzleloader. The guns were laying there together and it would have been a slam dunk at that range, as it was he circled below me and at the maximum range of the muzzleloader. Plus I have never had the pleasure of putting crosshairs on an elk before so that was cool. Now I just need to find a blacktail buck. Today was day six of hunting and I have yet to see A DEER. I'm kind of dumfounded really but given the progression of deer numbers around here the last 5 years I'm not totally surprised...
Old 11-09-2019, 02:18 PM   #29
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Thanks guys. Rank, if he had crossed where I expected him to I was leaning towards the muzzleloader. The guns were laying there together and it would have been a slam dunk at that range, as it was he circled below me and at the maximum range of the muzzleloader. Plus I have never had the pleasure of putting crosshairs on an elk before so that was cool. Now I just need to find a blacktail buck. Today was day six of hunting and I have yet to see A DEER. I'm kind of dumfounded really but given the progression of deer numbers around here the last 5 years I'm not totally surprised...
Ha! I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to tell you that you are blind.......some suggested I get my glasses checked. I have been keeping track of my deer spotting since mid September, I have 74.5 hours on the clock for 23 deer and a fawn ratio of 31 per hundred (that's not a sustainable number).

Good luck on the buck hunting and don't feel too bad when you shoot him.

I did go for a drive today and saw a spike bull standing on the timbers edge, he was a real dummy..........

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #30
KingSlew
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
First time packing a rifle during elk season in 32 years. I've been seeing a nice 6 point bull all week while looking for a buck with the muzzleloader but of course some more entitled people than myself blocked the road going into the area he has been in. There hadn't been a person in there in 5 days so I thought there was a chance but didn't want to deal with the kind of people who block Forest Service roads so I went on to plan B, C, and D and found people there so I respectfully backed out and found a spot to sit and wait for a bull (or a buck since I was also packing my muzzleloader) to get pushed by. It didn't take long...

I'll just post a link to Instagram as photobucket really seems to suck nowdays. Not a big bull but the first one I've ever shot at with a rifle.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4qD3hsnNwt/

Hopefully that works.
That's the kind I like!
Wait 'til you stick a fork in him... yum, yum...
Old 11-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #31
TripleJ
Tuna!

Good job Joe!
TripleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #32
Gunaddict
Steelhead

My son in law and I shot 2 bulls right after daylight. 5x5 and 5x4.
Gunaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #33
roosevelt
King Salmon

Joe, that made my day! Nice work!
Old 11-09-2019, 10:02 PM   #34
kaseyfield
Tuna!

Hey whitey.... didnt you kill a HUGE BULL today!!!

Kasey
kaseyfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #35
whitey375
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyfield View Post
Hey whitey.... didnt you kill a HUGE BULL today!!!

Kasey

Old 11-10-2019, 10:03 PM   #36
winterkill
Ifish Nate

Good job, Joe! Spike = elk veal.
winterkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:04 PM   #37
winterkill
Ifish Nate

Went with a buddy and he shot a spike this morning! Got the meat to the rig via game cart. Done in one trip and home by early afternoon. Which is awesome because I have a flight to Vegas tonight!!!
Old 11-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #38
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
The area we have hunted for 30 years has slowly been acquired and closed off by the weyehauser carpet baggers.

Quote:
The spot where I got my 4x4 in 2015 is now posted and the company has security roaming around.
sounds like they planned for the future

Quote:
If I am going to spend several hundred dollars for access I may as well go out of state.
Might need to add a zero then.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:37 PM   #39
roosevelt
King Salmon

My wife had a banner year! Her first buck, and now her first bull... I’m a proud husband... long but epic day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15450532-1BE8-410E-B313-928B2B45A2DB.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	734085  
Old 11-12-2019, 07:41 PM   #40
whitey375
Ifish Nate

Quote:
My wife had a banner year! Her first buck, and now her first bull... I’m a proud husband... long but epic day
That's awesome! Congrats to her!

Old 11-12-2019, 08:21 PM   #41
HarvestNFaith
Steelhead

Quote:
My wife had a banner year! Her first buck, and now her first bull... I’️m a proud husband... long but epic day
Good stuff! Congratulations to her. Especially awesome to do it on what seemed to be an extra tough year (weather wise). He looks tasty.
HarvestNFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:26 PM   #42
Reel fortunate
Tuna!

Nice guiding job roosevelt! Pretty awesome!

23x84 HT, Raider Coastal
Reel fortunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #43
Joe
King Salmon

Quote:
Outstanding! Congrats to you both!!
Old 11-12-2019, 08:35 PM   #44
Joe
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterkill View Post
Went with a buddy and he shot a spike this morning! Got the meat to the rig via game cart. Done in one trip and home by early afternoon. Which is awesome because I have a flight to Vegas tonight!!!
Congrats! Hopefully you get to eat some of him. We had backstrap tonight and it was as succulent as I expected.....maybe even better. Not sure I will ever want to kill anything but a spike again.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:38 PM   #45
winterkill
Ifish Nate

Quote:
My wife had a banner year! Her first buck, and now her first bull... I’️m a proud husband... long but epic day
Heck yes! She seems like a great shot...is that 2 shots, 2 kills? So cool to see hunting shared by families. IMO that is one of the most important benefits from hunting. Spikes are the tastiest elk too
Old 11-12-2019, 08:51 PM   #46
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Nice going Ms. Roo. Too bad the hubby didn’t get it done. You should give lessons.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:53 PM   #47
Buck Fever
Steelhead

Wow, first buck and first bull in same season! Very cool, congrats to you both! So cool...
Buck Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:01 PM   #48
Coast Hunter
Steelhead

That's so cool roosevelt, congrats to her its always nice to have the wives back us up lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Coast Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:05 PM   #49
sparkleboy
Tuna!

Quote:

Awesome!!! I would someday really like to be in that exact situation with my wife. We'll see....

Aaron

Scombridae freak!
sparkleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:43 AM   #50
wak'm&stak'm
King Salmon

Congrats Misses Roosevelt

My son got a spike Saturday and my grandson got spike Tuesday, they also got a muzzle loader 5 pt in Colorado back in Sept......so I don’t think they will starve this winter.

My grandson walking meter said they walked , 13.8 miles on Saturday, packed meat out as well, and by Sunday evening they had put in a total of 28 miles. They have a real good harvest history, but really put in the miles.....
wak'm&stak'm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:28 AM   #51
sprigdog
Chromer

Talking with some OSP game cops, seems like this was the slowest season they had ever worked.
2nd season guys in the spike only areas are going to be seeing a lot of branch bulls for sure!
Spike rosies are probably the finest game meat out there.
sprigdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #52
in 'em

Nice Mike!! Glad she can provide meat for the family lol Really happy for her, is she hooked??
in 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #53
slave4chrome
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by in 'em View Post
Nice Mike!! Glad she can provide meat for the family lol Really happy for her, is she hooked??
Haha, beat me to the punch! Congrats to the wife. Nice shooting!

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
slave4chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:00 AM   #54
fishinpox
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
Talking with some OSP game cops, seems like this was the slowest season they had ever worked.
2nd season guys in the spike only areas are going to be seeing a lot of branch bulls for sure!
I don't generally rifle hunt for elk, but tried to this year. I usually don't seem to have much trouble finding elk to look at, but a big goose egg on sightings this year for us. We saw one dead elk in a truck, and it was in the back of the truck whole. I'm guessing they came around a corner on the road and there it was, right place right time?
Old 11-13-2019, 08:49 AM   #55
raised2hunt
Steelhead

You will eat well this winter. Spike elk are the absolute best tasting animals on earth.
raised2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:13 AM   #56
willametteriveroutlaw
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
I don't generally rifle hunt for elk, but tried to this year. I usually don't seem to have much trouble finding elk to look at, but a big goose egg on sightings this year for us. We saw one dead elk in a truck, and it was in the back of the truck whole. I'm guessing they came around a corner on the road and there it was, right place right time?
Elk on the coast come out whole often because of hillbilly engineering.

Lots and lots of haywire, capstans, etc..

-Flatfish
Old 11-13-2019, 10:06 AM   #57
TripleJ
Tuna!

Congrats to your wife Mike, that's awesome! You guys will be eating well!
TripleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #58
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
it was eerily quiet. we never heard more that 2 shots in any one day, and we were out most of the days every day. I had some friends who didn't kill elk who do every year. the people were still out trying though.

what my impression was, they were not hanging out or making tracks in clear cuts during daylight (for the most part) and the wind was crazy bad in the timber, all day..... there would be no steady wind direction for 10 minutes.

we got on fresh sign in the timber, but with the wind, we couldn't even get close enough to hear them bump out. hardest conditions for getting on elk I have experienced, and by far the quietest rifle season. I was curious if it was regional or just like that all over
Old 11-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #59
fishinpox
Ifish Nate

Quote:
it was eerily quiet. we never heard more that 2 shots in any one day, and we were out most of the days every day. I had some friends who didn't kill elk who do every year. the people were still out trying though.

what my impression was, they were not hanging out or making tracks in clear cuts during daylight (for the most part) and the wind was crazy bad in the timber, all day..... there would be no steady wind direction for 10 minutes.

we got on fresh sign in the timber, but with the wind, we couldn't even get close enough to hear them bump out. hardest conditions for getting on elk I have experienced, and by far the quietest rifle season. I was curious if it was regional or just like that all over
We had bad fog for saturday and sunday. Once that cleared off on Sunday night it was bright as could be out. I could clearly see for quite a ways at 1 am Monday morning. The wind picked up that night as well. My wife was woken up from the sound of a tree coming down somewhere close by.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:45 AM   #60
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by in 'em View Post
haha, me too! she was hooked last deer season when she didn't kill a deer... she's all in. we are both busy a lot, so if nothing else, it's a really cool way to spend time with each other, that aspect alone is really cool.

she is tough! she doesn't walk all over the woods all year, she runs a business and hangs out at her shop, but she can pretty much go on any hunt I can think up. I felt bad for her at times, knowing her legs must be burning, but not a single complaint... I would give her easier options, but she was having none of it. she has a lot of back issues too, so I was trying to not overdo it and get her hurt, but she just wanted to see some elk.

yesterday I had a good idea for a good hunt (parking one rig at the top of an area, and another below) and it was through some good country that didn't have much pressure.... the other option was a long steep walk in the dark (where we started our season, but was quiet) she suggested we do that, then we can do the other hunt if we don't find anything.... that was after 3 long, tough days in the woods.... pretty crazy how tough she is. we were getting up around 3am every day, and I know she felt rough, but she didn't show it.

she impresses me more all the time. I was really happy her effort was rewarded. we weren't going to spend much time back there, we had some other ideas to hunt, so we glassed everything at first light (skipping the draw we watched opening morning) and saw some other hunters coming in from a different direction, so we decided to glass everything on our way out once more and move on.

we made it back to the last draw in the area, I peeked over and oh boy! the exact same scenario I had envisioned for opening morning. I knew nobody could see these elk unless they were standing behind us, so we had time, which was huge for our scenario. took awhile to get the spike all the way by himself and in the open and broadside (I wasn't taking any chances on miscommunication on which elk she was on... I would rather let them all walk away) and it finally got all the way by himself, and that was that. after the shot, they all ran off besides one.

another thing I liked about this spot was if she killed one there, there was a different access from the bottom, knowing with her back, she wasn't carrying any heavy loads, I would be doing the packing.... it still wasn't easy, but it was better than the 4 miles we walked in with lots of hills.... I would still be hauling meat

can't wait for next year

I have some catching up to do now! got deer season starting on Saturday, and elk the following Saturday.... but the pressure is certainly off

Last edited by roosevelt; 11-13-2019 at 11:51 AM.