Furnace Repair - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 11-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Default Furnace Repair

We'd been without heat beyond a small electric heater for over a week. Had been dealing with a very well known heating and cooling company who came out and diagnosed the problem last Friday but couldn't get the part at that time. For that, they charged us $160. We got a price for coming out and installing the new part of $1770, said it was a flat rate for the job. Wife got a recommendation from someone she knows at the fitness center where she works out and called the guy. Furnace works now and we saved over $600. If someone gives you a flat rate price on something, keep looking.

DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
cptdarel
King Salmon

Default Re: Furnace Repair

Menu pricing is a licence to steal, heating companies get crazy, I had a fan motor put in the unit, he got me for $800, a universal motor may have cost him $79, and 30 min to install, I asked the next repair guy from a different company and they were half.

“Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed.”
Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by cptdarel; 11-06-2019 at 03:47 PM.
cptdarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
SteelCityIrish
Steelhead

As a recent homeowner... I've been lucky enough to make my own repairs via parts searching and YouTube. Mine are almost 20 so I know I'll have to bite the bullet soon. Sucks because these guys know you're probably not going to go all winter without heat.

S.C.I.
SteelCityIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

I decided to date a gal that has a kid in HVAC. Makes furnace work a lot cheaper...

She works in healthcare and so far that hasn't saved me any on insurance though. Guess I got to be domesticated partners or something..
Quiet Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:58 PM   #5
jimh
King Salmon

So far, I’ve been able to do my own repairs for a few years, too. The biggest issue is getting parts.

You pretty much have to mail order them since local parts houses won’t sell to individuals. A big advantage is you don’t have to schedule an appointment.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:05 PM   #6
baltz526
King Salmon

Amazing what furnace parts you can find at Amazon. A guy can sometimes buy a new furnace for less than the cost of a service call and a few parts.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:26 PM   #7
Amahnee
King Salmon

A gal on Nextdoor in my town had the circuit board go out on her furnace. She had a guy come out from a local heating and cooling company and swap it out in 15 minutes at the cost of $815. She went to Amazon and found the circuit board for $59 and watched a YT video and realized she could have easily made the repair. She was ******.
Amahnee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:11 AM   #8
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amahnee View Post
A gal on Nextdoor in my town had the circuit board go out on her furnace. She had a guy come out from a local heating and cooling company and swap it out in 15 minutes at the cost of $815. She went to Amazon and found the circuit board for $59 and watched a YT video and realized she could have easily made the repair. She was ******.
If she was able to trouble shoot it.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:44 AM   #9
Amahnee
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HntnFsh View Post
If she was able to trouble shoot it.
Should be pretty easy if you use the the owners manual and look at the troubleshooting page. My furnace had an issue after turning it on for the first time this year. Worked fine for the first few cycles then the next day I noticed it wasn't working. 🤔 The green light was on, but not the red. When I tried starting the furnace it wouldn't fire and was making a gurgling sound. I figured it was the condensate. Looked up videos on YouTube and fixed it in 5 minutes. Probably saved me a couple hundred bucks for a service call.
Amahnee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:51 AM   #10
jvdm2
Steelhead

These guys are helpful too:

https://vinjeandson.com/index.html
jvdm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:08 AM   #11
Cathunter1
Ifish Nate

Remember on +90 condensing FAU'S keep condensate clean ,no debris (lint ,etc.Etc.)and spider webs , cocoons .Look at the blinks on circuit board ,could help with your problem ,unless board is smoked ,
Cathunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:38 AM   #12
plumbertom
Steelhead

Grangers is a good reliable and reasonable priced source for parts.
As a retired plumbing and heating guy I don't have much problem about hiring a repair tech.
My home is equipped with a Heat pump Which if it requires any hard parts repaired I will have to call for service because I no longer have the tools for Freon handling.
Flat rate can work both in your favor or against you. Depends on the situation.
On the one hand If you sign a contract for a flat rate, you must make sure it states the furnace will be completely repaired for that price along with a guarantee to operate for a specified period.
That puts the repair at a specific price and you know what to expect it to cost. It also means the repair tech can't come back and say it was more complicated than expected and there will be extra charges.
That's pretty common for a time and materials repair, where you expect to pay the agreed upon price and suddenly it's twice as much or more.
Flat rate pricing is often a bit on the higher side because it covers the incidentals that commonly pop up during a repair. If a problem is uncovered beyond the scope of the contract repair then it must be renegotiated and a change order signed.
For a T&M job the price can be changed with nothing more than a advisory.
Flat rate is to protect both the contractor and customer.
That having been said there's no doubt some companies abuse the flat rate so I suggest you get at least three estimates.
A reputable service company will normally Take the original call fee off the repair if you contract with them for the repair.
Beware of those that offer free estimates. The norm in that case is the service person will not get paid unless they sell the job. It puts the tech on the line to not only sell you the repair but usually at a high price, He does after all have to get paid for those "estimates" he gives that he doesn't sell. That time will go into your estimate as well as the time your repair will take.
plumbertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #13
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Somehow the manual got lost so didn’t have a reference to look at. I absolutely hate paying someone to do what I can do.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:13 PM   #14
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Somehow the manual got lost so didn’t have a reference to look at. I absolutely hate paying someone to do what I can do.
Can't you download it?
Old 11-08-2019, 07:10 PM   #15
baltz526
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Surprising how many times I find the book taped inside the air handler. When I have done remodels and the furnace gets changed out.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:22 PM   #16
cptdarel
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbertom View Post
Grangers is a good reliable and reasonable priced source for parts.
As a retired plumbing and heating guy I don't have much problem about hiring a repair tech.
My home is equipped with a Heat pump Which if it requires any hard parts repaired I will have to call for service because I no longer have the tools for Freon handling.
Flat rate can work both in your favor or against you. Depends on the situation.
On the one hand If you sign a contract for a flat rate, you must make sure it states the furnace will be completely repaired for that price along with a guarantee to operate for a specified period.
That puts the repair at a specific price and you know what to expect it to cost. It also means the repair tech can't come back and say it was more complicated than expected and there will be extra charges.
That's pretty common for a time and materials repair, where you expect to pay the agreed upon price and suddenly it's twice as much or more.
Flat rate pricing is often a bit on the higher side because it covers the incidentals that commonly pop up during a repair. If a problem is uncovered beyond the scope of the contract repair then it must be renegotiated and a change order signed.
For a T&M job the price can be changed with nothing more than a advisory.
Flat rate is to protect both the contractor and customer.
That having been said there's no doubt some companies abuse the flat rate so I suggest you get at least three estimates.
A reputable service company will normally Take the original call fee off the repair if you contract with them for the repair.
Beware of those that offer free estimates. The norm in that case is the service person will not get paid unless they sell the job. It puts the tech on the line to not only sell you the repair but usually at a high price, He does after all have to get paid for those "estimates" he gives that he doesn't sell. That time will go into your estimate as well as the time your repair will take.

Pricing can be so subjective:

Flat Rate pricing is adjusted by the standards of timed procedures per industry standards of an operation.

Time and Materials are just that, "how long did it take Hours X $ per hour, and how much did parts cost"

Menu Pricing, is my charge what the Heck I want per operation.

$800 motor
$850 for circuit board
$250 for servicing

“Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed.”
Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by cptdarel; 11-10-2019 at 03:25 PM.
cptdarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:26 PM   #17
Canzano
Steelhead

Test your furnace and AC before you need it or you will need a lot of You Tube....rhymes with lube.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Canzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:54 PM   #18
sadiesassy
King Salmon

I have become more focused on You tube learning and buying parts.
But even on line - you can get a huge variation of prices - even for OEM parts.

The mark up some of these are places want is 300% above retail.
I bought some capacitors for $45 each (OEM) The contractor wanted $140 each.
Just did it myself.

I was going to install a 50 AMP RV plug outside. PArts at Home Depot were $70 and they were going to charge $300 for parts. UN believeable. They wanted $1000 for a hook up box that is next to the electrical panel. I said that was too high -- They go "I am not going to do it for free". I am not going to pay $1000 for a simple install. SO I will do next spring.

I had a board go out - The Guy did it for $160 board and labor. Seemed OK. That included the inital check.

But you know who has caught on to this profit line item. Automotive. I have seen many attempt to charge 300% markups on items they buy from NAPA. They go - well it isi n case the unit fails - warranty. Yeah. I will find a new person.
sadiesassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:16 PM   #19
IIonPilgrimg
Ifish Nate

DogZilla's all over it. Fixed!
How often has YouTube told me the everyday solution which has nothing to do with my problem? Can't count 'em. Latest is: turbo-pressure sensor on a 2005 Corolla XRS. This part may exist on a Lexus, somewhere... but ??? Maybe I'll find it... due to this post.
IIonPilgrimg is offline   Reply With Quote