Whats the best and whats you favorite ? and Go

gottafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
Stick'em
King Salmon

Default Re: Lets buy a new upland shot gun

I have a pretty sweet Parker .20 I could part with.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:46 AM   #3
gottafish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick'em View Post
I have a pretty sweet Parker .20 I could part with.
thanks but I am looking for new, narrowed to
Browning
A4 hunter in 12gage

Benneli
Performance Shop Ultra Light Upland

Berretta
Silver Pigeon 1 MY19

Caesar Guerini
Magnus Sporting
gottafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #4
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I like 3 shots when hunting Chukars and Huns...... In Oregon, we hunt mostly Chukars and Huns. If I’m hunting pheasants in ND, I’ll pick up the Model 12, 28 as often as the A-5.

Best and favorite is to subjective to the person you’re asking. With that in mind, the Browning A-5 Light Twelve is as good as it gets. 100% reliable which is lots more than can be said for most modern stuff. Many folks say they’re not very pretty (butt ugly) but they fit like part of your body and you’ll shoot them like they are. I used to be part of the “butt ugly” crowd till I put one up to my shoulder where upon all the ugly went away. I immediately went out and bought one at the nearest gun show and now I own six. I’d part with two or three.....

If I were to buy a new shotgun, it’d be the new version of the A-5. If I wanted a pretty gun, A Zoli or Guerini in 28. Pretty doesn’t kill birds. I do have a pretty A-5. A real eye popper.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #5
Brian304
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottafish View Post
Browning
A4 hunter in 12gage

Benneli

Berretta
Silver Pigeon 1 MY19

Caesar Guerini
Magnus Sporting

I have a Silver Pigeon 1 sporting, 30" that I will be selling. Very little use.
Brian304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #6
USAFDentHunter
Coho

Last year I bought a 20 gauge Franchi Affinity and I really like it. Not super spendy either.
USAFDentHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #7
bigdawgwill44
Chromer

Just bought a Fabarm L4S Hunter w/ 26" Barrel for pheasants. Love it so far, knocked down two roosters with it last weekend. There are some great reviews of this shotgun on YouTube.
bigdawgwill44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #8
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Hee-hee, I have a little .410 side-by-side that feels like a 3-weight fly rod.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #9
Flatfish
King Salmon

Boss or WR.

If I gotta live in my budget, any SxS or OU that fits me well that aint heavy.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:57 AM   #10
444Marlin
Tuna!

I have a Ruger Red Label in 28 and 12. I like them both and would like to add a 20 gauge soon. My 28 gets the most use.
444Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:19 PM   #11
baltz526
King Salmon

Quote:
Whats the best and whats you favorite ? and Go
20ga BPS. Period
Old 11-06-2019, 08:42 AM   #12
James in Idaho
Sturgeon

Upland shotgun. That eliminates most 12 gauges, unless you like to carry heavy shotguns. Benelli...kicks like a rented mule. Beretta SP1, excellent gun, a little light in 20 gauge, and CG's are pretty sweet but $$$. How well do Beretta's and CG's fit? I can't get a Beretta to fit me without stock work, but Brownings are usually just fine for me. I really like my Browning CXS in 20 for upland hunting, in non-tox areas #2 steel seems to work pretty good on pheasants. It's a sporting clays gun with 32" barrels, and was only made one year. But bang for the buck it's a heck of a gun. If I had to carry a 12, I'd just grab my ancient Nikko O/U. Also really liking the 1948 A5 Sweet Sixteen, but no steel shot in that one. Need to find some other non-tox that's ok to shoot in it.

Uncork the Snake!
James in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #13
Flatfish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by James in Idaho View Post
Upland shotgun. That eliminates most 12 gauges, unless you like to carry heavy shotguns. Benelli...kicks like a rented mule. Beretta SP1, excellent gun, a little light in 20 gauge, and CG's are pretty sweet but $$$. How well do Beretta's and CG's fit? I can't get a Beretta to fit me without stock work, but Brownings are usually just fine for me. I really like my Browning CXS in 20 for upland hunting, in non-tox areas #2 steel seems to work pretty good on pheasants. It's a sporting clays gun with 32" barrels, and was only made one year. But bang for the buck it's a heck of a gun. If I had to carry a 12, I'd just grab my ancient Nikko O/U. Also really liking the 1948 A5 Sweet Sixteen, but no steel shot in that one. Need to find some other non-tox that's ok to shoot in it.
1-Our dimensions must be similar. Most any Beretta I look at, I am sighting down side of rib. Browning/Winchester/Remington/Ruger are fine.

2-Bismuth shot for your Sweet 16. Kent makes a 1 oz load of Bismuth that will operate the action, be kind to the barrel, keep the game warden happy and kill well.

RST makes Bismuth loads as well. Dunno if they are lighter stuff (2.5") or 1-1 1/8 oz field loads.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Old 11-06-2019, 09:50 AM   #14
uhmw
King Salmon

I love my light sig and son side by side sweet 16 for the purpose of dispatching up land birds. My great grand father purchased it new in Leipzig. The Krupp steel barrels are remarkable as are the engraving and checkering done during that period of manufacturing(1895) by the Sig family. I have killed a lot of birds with it as it was my first gun. My quad gun/loaner is a Stoeger M3000 auto. Pretty sweet for a disposable.

Last edited by uhmw; 11-06-2019 at 09:54 AM.
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:00 AM   #15
jimh
King Salmon

My favorite is a Beretta Over/Under, but the low end not the high end models. Fits the same and shoots the same but are a lot cheaper. They also fit me really well.

But, it has a lot to do with what you plan to do with the gun and what fits. Might be worth shooting some to find out what fits.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #16
backpackhunter
Steelhead

For me, it's all about what fits you best. Moreso than brand.

For me the Browning A5 fits really well, and I can align quickly to the shot. It wasn't what I intended to buy when I went to the store, but after shouldering every brand at multiple stores I kept coming back to the A5 because of fit and speed of my eyesight aligning with that goofy "hump".

If you prefer O/U or S/S, then many brands work fine. Just depends on how "pretty" you want it to be. I handload RMC brass hulls for hunting loads in my O/U, so my O/U shooting is stupid expensive with extra bling of those brass hulls...but I enjoy it and those hulls may outlive me as many reloads as they get.
backpackhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #17
Fishfeet
King Salmon

A pair of John Wayne's "greeners".
Old 11-06-2019, 01:56 PM   #18
MattiG
Chromer

Benelli kicks like a rented mule?! SBE2/3 and Super Vinci have some of the lowest recoil out there.

I was very close to getting the A5 before I got my Super Vinci. The Benelli was just slightly more ergonomic for me, and I like the ease of takedown. Ability to handle 3.5" shells or cycle 1.125 target loads means it's the only gun I need. Other people I shoot with always have a story about how their buddy did this or that to their Benelli and it just kept on working. I normally associate Italian stuff with form and performance over reliability, but in the shotgun world, at least away from ifish, Benelli seems to have a great rep for all 3.
MattiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:28 PM   #19
Bikinjoe
Steelhead

I looked at the 20ga Silver Pigeon and had put money down, then shot a F.A.I.R SxS 20ga and transferred my $$ to that and have been very happy. part might be nostalgic as I grew up hunting 20ga SxS. Options for a good quality lower budget to higher budget guns.

https://www.fair.it/en/products/hunting-shotguns

Check out Mid Valley Sporting Range if you are in the Oregon area and can get there, they have quite the selection of shotguns new and some used, plus you can try out a few of the more popular options if they have one in their demo fleet.

The FABARM and/or Caeser Guerini are nice guns as well, my wife as has the Syren version and it is a nice shooting beautiful shotgun.

Last edited by Bikinjoe; 11-06-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Bikinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:34 PM   #20
robby
Steelhead

I purchase a couple years ago the Benelli u825 over and under is awesome to shoot, light to carry. As a shooter I’m not worthy of the gun but I love it. I don’t hunt ducks or turkeys however a variety of chokes available for both those activities. It is not inexpensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #21
Reel fortunate
Tuna!

I love my Ithaca SKB in 12 ga. It is a semi automatic with vent rib. Killed a LOT of chuckar with it and drug it over many miles of sage covered hills, rim rocks and shale slides. It has treated me well.

23x84 HT, Raider Coastal
Reel fortunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:51 PM   #22
Land Cruiser
Coho

I think the budget should be considered first.

Here is a n example of a nice upland gun https://www.kevinsguns.com/product-p/3-100470.htm

Shoots like a dream, easy to carry also. Perazzi makes great shotguns as well.
Land Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:34 PM   #23
Desert Bighorn
Chromer

I have no interest in any new shotguns.

I have three old ones and if lost i would search the used market to replace them.

My go to one is an Ithaca SKB, side by side double, 3” 20 gauge, with a full and modified 28 inch barrels. With it I have taken wild turkey out to 25 yards, chukar, grouse, California quail and an uncountable number of mountain quail, which when on a diet of sweet Pinyon Nuts found in desert mountains are the sweetest tasting birds I have ever eaten.

Sadly the drought in the south west reduced their number to barely seed stock. My studies suggest that the suspected culprits for this population crash are eye parasites, which when these birds are on a poor diet really breed and reduce the quails ability to see predators.

Also of suspect is the fact that during times of drought plants produces high amounts of pytoestrogens which reduce fertility in any quail feeding on them,,,in effect giving them birth control. Plants have a lot of tricks up their leaves

Ohh this shotgun came with factory installed sling swivel studs,,,a must in rough country.

Next I have two vintage 2 ¾ inch New York made Ithaca model 37 pumps. One in 12 gauge for turkeys with a full and very tight choke. I have taken turkeys]out to 35 yards with this gun. And for reasons which mystify me, the quail just fall out of the sky when I use this gun. I really fits me.

My last shotgun is an Ithaca model 37 20 gauge 2 ¾ inch pump in modified choke. This is my favorite quail gun,,,as with my other 37, the birds just fall out of the sky too.

It has the scaled down receiver and is a trim fast three shot sweetheart.

None of these shotguns could take much if any steel shot. I bear them no ill will over this and used bismuth shot when hunting
Desert Bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #24
SlamminKokes
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawgwill44 View Post
Just bought a Fabarm L4S Hunter w/ 26" Barrel for pheasants. Love it so far, knocked down two roosters with it last weekend. There are some great reviews of this shotgun on YouTube.
Where did you get your Fabarms? I have a H368 that I need to replace the barrel on and cant find one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2019, 08:59 PM   #25
James in Idaho
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Cruiser View Post
I think the budget should be considered first.

Here is a n example of a nice upland gun https://www.kevinsguns.com/product-p/3-100470.htm

Shoots like a dream, easy to carry also. Perazzi makes great shotguns as well.

Shooting buddy has a 1898 Purdey...it's pretty nice! Can't seem to get him to drag it out pheasant hunting. It's worth about 3 of those Perazzi's! A friend who passed last June had just taken delivery of the Purdey and a John Rigby .416 Rigby, he never got a chance to shoot either. I sure would have liked touch one off in that .416.

Uncork the Snake!
Old 11-06-2019, 09:05 PM   #26
DogZilla15
King Salmon

James: Bet that Rigby is sweet. I go on-line every now and then to look at such stuff and drool all over the keyboard. The .416 is one great cartridge. Everyone should have two. One to hang above the fireplace and one to shoot. Sorry about your friend. He had good taste.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:39 PM   #27
Land Cruiser
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by James in Idaho View Post
Shooting buddy has a 1898 Purdey...it's pretty nice! Can't seem to get him to drag it out pheasant hunting. It's worth about 3 of those Perazzi's! A friend who passed last June had just taken delivery of the Purdey and a John Rigby .416 Rigby, he never got a chance to shoot either. I sure would have liked touch one off in that .416.
That's exactly what I mean, you should start with a budget. Although I'm pretty sure that however big that .416 is - it will not qualify as shotgun.
Land Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:09 AM   #28
baltz526
King Salmon

Packing a high dollar shotgun off the top of an ice covered rim in January. May very well reduce its value into affordable range for the next guy.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:19 AM   #29
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Baltz.... Good point. I took my pretty A-5 out one day and was nervous as hell. Next day I grabbed the huntin’ gun and fell coming down a hill, smacked the gun hard on a rock. Whew!!! Glad I had the right gun that day.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #30
Hockinson man
Tuna!

Quote:
Browning
A4 hunter in 12gage

Benneli

Berretta
Silver Pigeon 1 MY19

Caesar Guerini
Magnus Sporting
I own the Versamax and love it! Reliable, shoots anything, and the recoil is amazing. I broke it in on Geese with 3.5. It reached out and dropped them hard.
The one gun I would definitely entertain that is not on your list if you're looking for great value is the Winchester SX3. The the 3 is better than the new 4. You can get that gun starting at $900. My friend has it and it's a great gun. Very reliable and smooth. The other guns on your list look great. I'm not a Franchi/Benelli fan when it comes to hunting quail and using very light loads (click).. nothing. That was my experience with Franchi.. sold it. Never heard "click" with the Versamax. I'll probably buy the SX3 for back up waterfowl and upland.
Hockinson man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #31
backcountryhunter5
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Benelli kicks like a rented mule?! SBE2/3 and Super Vinci have some of the lowest recoil out there.

I was very close to getting the A5 before I got my Super Vinci. The Benelli was just slightly more ergonomic for me, and I like the ease of takedown. Ability to handle 3.5" shells or cycle 1.125 target loads means it's the only gun I need. Other people I shoot with always have a story about how their buddy did this or that to their Benelli and it just kept on working. I normally associate Italian stuff with form and performance over reliability, but in the shotgun world, at least away from ifish, Benelli seems to have a great rep for all 3.
Feel the very same way only I shoot an M2 and have never wanted any more or less from a shotgun for anything
backcountryhunter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #32
Sneaker
Steelhead

Benelli Montefeltro in 20 gauge.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:11 PM   #33
garyk
King Salmon

Lets buy a new upland shot gun...

The relatively new Benelli Ethos in 20 gauge is worth a look. Light weight for chukars or all-day carrying, nice wood, good looking gun.

The Ethos 20 gauge is barely heavier than my very light Silver Reserve 28g O/U.

"Our best hatcheries, our most resilient, efficient and lasting hatcheries are in fact healthy rivers."

"Keep Public Lands Public - Now and Forever"
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:44 PM   #34
winmag
Steelhead

+1 for the Browning Auto 5 Sweet Sixteen....with extra points for the vintage Belgium made ones
winmag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:28 PM   #35
Rocklock
Tuna!

As long as we're just throwing stuff out there. I went old school with my most recent upland shotgun acquisition this spring
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0893.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	733699  
Old 11-07-2019, 08:54 PM   #36
BeaverPride
Chromer

Benelux super Vinci, black.
BeaverPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:42 PM   #37
Wreckless
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Lets buy a new upland shot gun...

The relatively new Benelli Ethos in 20 gauge is worth a look. Light weight for chukars or all-day carrying, nice wood, good looking gun.

Thanks for bringing back the word "upland". To me that means light & nimble. If it's a 12 gauge it's a 2 3/4" light weight. Not an 8 pound waterfowl cannon. Plus to me it should have a wooden stock. Whether it's a model 12 that's seen a few thousand hunts, an A-5 or a pretty classic double, it should have good wood.

My upland gun is a 12 ga. Browning Citori Feather Lightening with an almost new pre '64 model 12 as a back up. I wish they didn't just sit there collecting dust, but someday I plan on putting some shells through 'em.

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:03 AM   #38
MattiG
Chromer

Those Citoris are cool guns. If I shot skeet/trap more, I'd really need one. Also, with a wood stock and lots of shiny bits up top, they have an esthetic and charm that will never be matched by my camo-clad waterfowl cannon. Nonetheless, the waterfowl cannon weighs a hair less than the Citori, and is happy to shoot the 2.75, 3.0, or 3.5 shells. It also does the laundry and washes my truck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2019, 12:13 AM   #39
jimh
King Salmon

I like the Brownings whether it is the Citori or A5. I just can’t shoot them very well. I had an A5 for years because all of my uncles had them when I was 8 or so. I fondly remember all of the types 20, 16, 12 when we were rabbit hunting behind their beagle of different sizes on holidays.

My brother in law at the time could shoot an A5 or any other shotgun, but I never could. He might have had an advantage since his granddad taught him to shoot and was apparently a fantastic skeet shooter. Finally gave up, and went to the Beretta which is far easier for me to shoot and actually hit something.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:43 AM   #40
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Wreckless: I ran into a guy (Dr. from Kalifornia) packing a gun with considerable wear, a lot of the wood finish was missing along with lots of bluing. The wood quality was still obvious and since I am a nice wood guy, I asked him what he was shooting. Browning Lightning, was his reply. It would have been a treat to to restore that gun for him so the real beauty of the wood could be seen.

Light an nimble does have merit, if a person can shoot such a gun, I can’t. If I shot only one gun, I would learn. Some of the land I hunt in ND is federal so non-toxic is required. Lots of those days I pack the 50’s something A-5 Magnum so I can shoot steel. Shoulders ache after a couple hours of lugging that thing around. It’s a little slow getting on birds but saving a half second is meaningless. Non-toxic is available in 28 so I’ve started carrying that, shoulders feel much better. It seems to get on the birds okay for such a light gun. If it were an O/U, probably not. But that’s just me.

The pre-64 thing did not affect the Model 12. They were either pre-war parts or post-war parts. Pre-war parts ran out at around serial number 1,200,000 or so, maybe before, early 50’s.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:30 AM   #41
Flatfish
King Salmon

One thing that I have not seen pointed out here yet
Pumps and autos are harder to carry than a double (Not matter if it's O/U or SxS). You can carry an auto/pump for a little while. But most folks are looking for a reprieve after a few hours.

Doubles fold up in the center. Makes an over the shoulder or crease in elbow/forearm simple.

The only way I have ever found to carry a pump or auto with any level of comfort is a sling. Depending in circumstances (If you have a dog, you likely have a little warning before the bird busts. If you are the dog, having a gun slung over the shoulder promises missed opportunities. With a double in your hands

With a double, if a bird flushes, you simply close the action and shoot.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #42
backpackhunter
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfish View Post
Pumps and autos are harder to carry than a double (Not matter if it's O/U or SxS). You can carry an auto/pump for a little while. But most folks are looking for a reprieve after a few hours.

Doubles fold up in the center. Makes an over the shoulder or crease in elbow/forearm simple.

The only way I have ever found to carry a pump or auto with any level of comfort is a sling. Depending in circumstances (If you have a dog, you likely have a little warning before the bird busts. If you are the dog, having a gun slung over the shoulder promises missed opportunities. With a double in your hands

My upland vest has a built in sling. I haven't noticed any speed differences of pulling a shotgun from my sling vs. bent over my shoulder. I usually have my O/U for upland, and still use the sling sometimes especially if covering a lot of ground.

But your point is valid for those without a quick access sling.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #43
MattiG
Chromer

More importantly, if you're wearing a few sheep's worth of stylish wool garments, perhaps a tweed jacket with leather elbows and a flannel hat, you will look and feel 10 times cooler with a break action slung over your forearm on the way out to birds and over your shoulder on the way back, smokin your pipe and reminiscing about the good old days.

Semi auto and pump will never be invited to the kind of party.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:55 AM   #44
James in Idaho
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
James: Bet that Rigby is sweet. I go on-line every now and then to look at such stuff and drool all over the keyboard. The .416 is one great cartridge. Everyone should have two. One to hang above the fireplace and one to shoot. Sorry about your friend. He had good taste.

It was a beautiful gun, the wood was what you would expect for a bench built Rigby. He was planning on Africa next year for Cape buffalo. He had been on safari before with a Ruger in .416, took an elephant and a really big buff with it. While I adopted his Airdale, and bought his Sweet Sixteen from the estate, I did NOT buy the buff mount! Here's the video:

Uncork the Snake!
Old 11-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #45
Flatfish
King Salmon

I freely admit that my mind has been bent by reading about arms and hunters from 100-150 years ago.

Nash Buckinghamn ran a pumpgun for a long time before a double. I choose to think of him with the double. As soon as the pump gun came out, market hunters bought them in bulk. I've owned several pumpguns. There's nothing sexy about them.

The interesting thing is, a modern plastic autoloader kills fine. But it aint elegant, handsome and has no appeal in terms of history. Tweed jackets and plastic stocks just don't have the same ring to it.

With time, perspective can change. When I was young, it was all about utility and performance. I no longer own any rifles with plastic stocks. I've never sat on a rim to rest the dog, and felt great pride of ownership while looking at a plastic autoloader...... and just been pleased by the fine craftsmanship of it's stamped parts and space age finish.

The funny thing is, I have a plastic autoloader for ducks. For me in those circumstances, it's all about getting the birds set up right and the dogs after the shot.

To each his own.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:30 AM   #46
brshooter
Ifish Nate

Don't hunt upland birds much anymore. Still have an old Mossberg 500 20 gauge I bought in 1969 with paper route money. Paid a whopping $59.00 for it brand new. Killed a lot of ducks and pheasants growing up in the farmland of the Columbia Basin area. Nowhere near the quality of those being discussed, but has been issue free and is light and shoots good. Took it out about 10 years ago to Tri-County and shot 23/25 on the trap range. Not sure when I will shoot it again.
Ifish Member #445

“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” Thomas Aquinas
brshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:34 AM   #47
backpackhunter
Steelhead

Quote:
I freely admit that my mind has been bent by reading about arms and hunters from 100-150 years ago.

Nash Buckinghamn ran a pumpgun for a long time before a double. I choose to think of him with the double. As soon as the pump gun came out, market hunters bought them in bulk. I've owned several pumpguns. There's nothing sexy about them.

The interesting thing is, a modern plastic autoloader kills fine. But it aint elegant, handsome and has no appeal in terms of history. Tweed jackets and plastic stocks just don't have the same ring to it.

With time, perspective can change. When I was young, it was all about utility and performance. I no longer own any rifles with plastic stocks. I've never sat on a rim to rest the dog, and felt great pride of ownership while looking at a plastic autoloader...... and just been pleased by the fine craftsmanship of it's stamped parts and space age finish.

The funny thing is, I have a plastic autoloader for ducks. For me in those circumstances, it's all about getting the birds set up right and the dogs after the shot.

To each his own.
Agreed...upland hunting for me is all about enjoying time with my dogs.

Although I have fond memories of that old side by side double triggers 12ga that my dad let me use sometimes as a kid. Was handed down by my grandfather. Beautiful old gun. Too much time has passed for me to remember which brand S/S it was. But dad kept it in beautiful condition, and hunted with it.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:00 PM   #48
DogZilla15
King Salmon

James: Cool video, nice Buff. Better than nice. Not what you see hanging on a lot of walls. They’re about the only critter I’d think about hunting in Africa should I actually go. Would hate to settle for anything less than what your friend shot.

Better to hunt with an ugly dog than an ugly shotgun.

Flatfish: “Nothing sexy about a pump.” There is one. The Remington Model 31TC, if it has nice wood.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:42 PM   #49
Hockinson man
Tuna!

Quote:
Those Citoris are cool guns. If I shot skeet/trap more, I'd really need one. Also, with a wood stock and lots of shiny bits up top, they have an esthetic and charm that will never be matched by my camo-clad waterfowl cannon. Nonetheless, the waterfowl cannon weighs a hair less than the Citori, and is happy to shoot the 2.75, 3.0, or 3.5 shells. It also does the laundry and washes my truck.

I have the 12 gauge OU Citori and it shoots up to 3.5. I think I got a great deal new for around $1500 at Keith's in Gresham. No regrets. It'll see birds in SD,ND, and ID more in the future.
Hockinson man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:05 PM   #50
bigdawgwill44
Chromer

Keith's Sporting Goods ordered it for me. Thy are the only dealer in the Portland/Metro area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamminKokes View Post
Where did you get your Fabarms? I have a H368 that I need to replace the barrel on and cant find one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
bigdawgwill44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #51
MattiG
Chromer

Quote:

To each his own.
I agree on all accounts with respect to the look and feel of an old wood gun. I wish my auto loader could look like that, and that I could gracefully fold it over my forearm while walking through the countryside with family, friends, and mutts.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #52
James in Idaho
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Better to hunt with an ugly dog than an ugly shotgun.

My Sweet Sixteen and my small Munsterlander...only thing ugly out hunting with those is ME!

Uncork the Snake!
Old 11-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #53
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Good for me to have an ugly dog so I know which one is the wife. If I had a Moonster, it’d be a tossup.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:45 AM   #54
458win
Tuna!

Holland & Holland royal with single trigger in 16g

Really matters to what fits you and your budget. Most expensive shotgun in the world isn’t worth a thing if you can’t hit anything with it. Gauge wise I’d say go with a 20. I’m a 28 guy myself or a 16. But occasionally I’ll use my 20g super sport. With today’s ammo a good 20g is hard to beat.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:39 AM   #55
baltz526
King Salmon

Quote:

Not an issue with the 20ga BPS. It is much nicer to carry than the OU I tried for a couple years. The BPS has no sling on it. No need.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:39 AM   #56
big foot
Chromer

My first shotgun was a 16 ga Mossberg bolt action with a poly choke . The first honker with that gun only broke a wing and when my red cocker went to retrieve it that big goose taught him a lesson . So I decided that I needed more horse power and traded for a A5 12 ga with full choke 32" barrel . My first chukar trip with that gun to the white horse country I believe was 1963 ? and the season started Sept 1st ? , I know we shot a lot of real small birds . Anyway after 2 years with that A5 I decided I needed a better chukar gun . Found a used Ithaca 37 16 ga pump . Now after almost 60 years that Ithaca has only about 5% bluing left on the receiver , the stock has been refinished 2 or 3 times and is need of it again . When I set on a rimrock now with my dog , a vest with a few birds , enjoying a drink and candy bar and looking at that old Ithaca with a poly choke , sling and very little bluing left I think that gun was made for this type of hunting .
big foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #57
Wreckless
King Salmon

Quote:

Oh I love my waterfowl cannon, they swing once & like you say, they happily devour any load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
I like the Brownings whether it is the Citori or A5. I just can’t shoot them very well. I had an A5 for years because all of my uncles had them when I was 8 or so. I fondly remember all of the types 20, 16, 12 when we were rabbit hunting behind their beagle of different sizes on holidays.

My brother in law at the time could shoot an A5 or any other shotgun, but I never could. He might have had an advantage since his granddad taught him to shoot and was apparently a fantastic skeet shooter. Finally gave up, and went to the Beretta which is far easier for me to shoot and actually hit something.

I never said I was any good with short, quick guns. I just like to pretend look like I know what I'm doing.

I think the shotgun I could shoot the best over the years was my old Savage 311 SXS. It kicks like a mule, weighs a ton, has 30" barrels......you can't help but swing through with that thing!

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:42 PM   #58
James in Idaho
Sturgeon

The easiest gun that I own to carry is a good old Model 12 20 gauge. Mine was made in 1928, and it's living proof that it's pretty hard to wear a Model 12 out. It's still the only gun I've shot a limit of chukar with. Today's pumps don't come close, if that's the way you go look for an 870 Wingmaster, it really will do anything you want it to. Most of my shooting (about 10,000 rounds of sporting clays a year) is done with O/U, so that's what I tend to carry.

Uncork the Snake!
Old 11-09-2019, 10:20 PM   #59
DogZilla15
King Salmon

James. Nice gun. Got a 1926 edition. Have fired it 3 or 4 times, killed one chukar. Great gun to carry, just not a fan of the 20. Shame on me.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:02 AM   #60
Bonecrusher 0.338
Ifish Nate

Lately my favorite is a Browning BPS Upland Special with English stock in 16 gauge with 26" barrel and choke tubes. Built on a 20 gauge frame it weighs about 5 lbs. Can carry for days with one hand, feels like balsa wood. Loaded with Magnum Winchester Super X #4's 1 1/8 oz lead, it will go toe to toe with any 12 gauge made, without the weight. Excellent for Pheasant and Chukar !