11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna. - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2019, 12:53 PM   #1
Shake N Bake Sportfishing
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ilwaco, Washington
Posts: 2,236
Default 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Dogs,

17 of us (three missed the plane and two no showed) just finished a 2.75 day trip on the NLA out of San Diego.

104 YFT, and 11 BFT.

Total weight 3,666 lbs.

17 fish the first day and then a 98 fish stop the second day that lasted most of the day.

At last light on the second day a HUGE BFT blew up on a kite fished flying fish.

Our captain said it is the biggest fish ever hooked on the boat and way bigger than the 319 lb BFT they caught last week.

After the captain fought it for over an hour the hooks pulled 50 feet from the boat.

Great boat, great crew, and great fishing.

More to come when I am not so beat.

Mike C

__________________
www.shakenbakesportfishing.com
Shake N Bake Sportfishing is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-04-2019, 04:15 PM   #2
ron m
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Corvallis & Newport
Posts: 8,160
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Glad you had a good trip. Pretty good fishing, average between 6 or 7 fish of a little over 30 lbs each. Were the bluefin about the same average size as the yft or a bit bigger?

Having some huge bft around presents a challenge/dilemma; rig big for the huge bft and maybe not catch anything or rig for the size that are being caught steadily and have virtually no chance of landing a huge bft if one hits. I'm sure the kite rod was rigged for big fish, maybe the only rig in the water with a chance of catching a big 'un. Kinda surprised to hear the captain was fighting that fish instead of a paying customer.
ron m
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:57 PM   #3
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon
 
Gun Rod Bow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 14,091
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

You guys hit it good! Nice work
__________________
"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." Greek Proverb
Bundìn er bàtlaus mađur
Gun Rod Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-04-2019, 05:00 PM   #4
Quiet Riot
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia County
Posts: 5,489
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Nice job Mike and the rest! Seeing the pics is getting my blood pumping for our trip next week. Hope our timing and post full moon works out.
Quiet Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:08 PM   #5
Shake N Bake Sportfishing
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ilwaco, Washington
Posts: 2,236
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Ron,

They wanted us to fight it, even though it was way, way, out of our league.

The captain randomly picked one of us to fight it and Colin put up a great fight, but after gaining very little line in 30 minutes, he tapped out.

The rest of us wanted the pros to handle it, so the captain stepped up and we followed him around the boat like paparazzi (paparazzi with beers that is).

Adam was clearly devastated with the loss of the "fish of a lifetime" but s*&t happens and hooks pull.

I cannot say enough good things about Cpt Adam and the crew, they were a lot more patient than I could ever be with some big tuna newbies and they always had time to help us out.

I can't wait until our trip next year when we will step our game up.

Mike C
__________________
www.shakenbakesportfishing.com
Shake N Bake Sportfishing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:52 PM   #6
chrome obsession
King Salmon
 
chrome obsession's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ocean (Garibaldi), rivers and Aloha.
Posts: 5,853
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

So bad ass. Happy you guys had a killer trip Mike. That’s a load of tasty fish.

What were the common setups? What Lb mono/Fluro? Hook size? Circle hooks or J’s? Did you guys use weights at all?

I am on the 12-15th trip on that boat, any info helps. Even though a week later could be completely different fishing.

Thanks Mike and good job.
__________________

God is good
24' NR Seahawk. F/V T-Sea-Time
Served 7 years in the Army

OTC 09,10,13,14,15,16,17,18,19.Team aqua Dominion/No Bail/Meanwhile charters.
1st place OTC (DCC) 2019 champs.
chrome obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:11 PM   #7
Booja 1
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gresham
Posts: 1,335
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Yer timing was perfect, so nice to be on a trip when fish wanna play n Adam is driving. Beautiful grade as well.
So Sat u guys did da Bluefin thing n Sun did he go to different area fo da Yft carnage?

Too bad u guys did not wanna tag team that jumbo as u may neva get another opportunity on a tunafish that size. At least u got to see da sucka. Speaking of which, was deckhand Greg (beeg country da beeg dude) working? Can't believe he wudn't want a piece of "Beeg Mo" n spell Adam n take his turn at turning da handle

Lo An is a solid operation, immaculate boat, great customer service plus they even catch fish.

again congrats on da catching!!!
Booja 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #8
Jonbduncan
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Eugene
Posts: 121
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booja 1 View Post
Yer timing was perfect, so nice to be on a trip when fish wanna play n Adam is driving. Beautiful grade as well.
So Sat u guys did da Bluefin thing n Sun did he go to different area fo da Yft carnage?

Too bad u guys did not wanna tag team that jumbo as u may neva get another opportunity on a tunafish that size. At least u got to see da sucka. Speaking of which, was deckhand Greg (beeg country da beeg dude) working? Can't believe he wudn't want a piece of "Beeg Mo" n spell Adam n take his turn at turning da handle

Lo An is a solid operation, immaculate boat, great customer service plus they even catch fish.

again congrats on da catching!!!


You know, it's funny how my feelings about harvesting big critters has changed as I've gotten older (really older!!--medicare old!)...I'm ok to take medium sized eating critters but really tend to pull for the big old ones to get away - with the pressure of modern day technology and numbers of harvesters, the ones the make it to a ripe old age get my sympathy!

It does sound like a really fun trip, though! jonb
Jonbduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:20 PM   #9
Chad D.
Chromer
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Leaburg, OR
Posts: 665
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.



Not big, but certainly looked fully mature. Had to toss him back to play another day...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #10
Chass
King Salmon
 
Chass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jasper OR
Posts: 5,042
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

What a great trip! Thanks for organizing it Mike!

So good to meet all of the great folks on this trip. I was amazed at how well that group fished together. I think we only farmed one fish at the boat due to a tangle. Our landing ratio was INCREDIBLE!

Adam was a rockstar. The whole crew was great. Adam even left the fishing grounds at 9 pm on Saturday night to run 35 miles up to San Clemente to make bait. We caught 100 squid and headed back to the fishing grounds at 3 am. We were there just in time for first light. That's dedication! Turns out the squid were super hot bait. Adam also found another charter boat run by a friend of his that was willing to offload their extra bait to us in the middle of the night. Without it, we wouldn't have had that epic second day.

The food was great, the bunks are small and not that comfortable but, hey, who needs sleep anyway?! I didn't sleep much at all. I didn't feel like I needed an extra blanket. I slept in my clothes and pulled the one blanket over the top of me. The pillows were acceptable.

A side note, if you want to drink, bring a little something with you. All they have is light beer for 3 bucks and some IPAs for 7 bucks each.

We were in a school of pretty good size yellow fin on day 2. We used #4 up to 1/0 size hooks in both J and circle hooks. Almost all of my 9 fish were caught on 1/0 J hooks but I did use a #2 circle for a while that also caught a couple fish. I only used one fishing reel. It was an Accurate 400 Valiant that I borrowed. I had it buttoned down to 20 lbs of drag on the first 4 or 5 fish. Then I pulled a couple of hooks on bigger fish so I lightened up the drag. I did use the lighter 30 lb setup a couple times and loaned the Avet MX 2 speed reel out to someone who caught a couple fish on it. Never caught anything on my new Fathom 40n 2 speed but I could have. I just liked the 40 lb setup the most. the 80 and 130 setups didn't catch anything but I plunked a lot of mackeral with the 80 setup that I borrowed from Mark MC. Very nice Avet 50. We just didn't find that size fish. Well, we didn't catch any . . . we did have one fellow who got bit off on a big mackeral but it was quick so maybe a shark.

I wore pants and a T shirt the whole time. I put a sweatshirt on when it got colder at night. That was all I wore. Some wore shorts but I thought it was a little cool for that this time of year.

Random pics that I took between horsing bluefin and yellowfin in!

Chass
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewLoAn1119-1.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	733633   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewLoAn1119-2.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	733635   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewLoAn1119-3.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	733637   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewLoAn1119-4.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	733639   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewLoAn1119-6.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	733643  

Click image for larger version

Name:	NewLoAn1119-7.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	733645   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewLoAn1119-8.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	733647   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewLoAn1119-9.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	733649   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewLoAn1119-10.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	733651   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewLoAn1119-11.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	733653  

__________________
260 Weldcraft Cuddy King. Team Flying Iron. Master Troller. Scofflaw. Tyrant.

Last edited by Chass; 11-06-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Chass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:28 PM   #11
Chass
King Salmon
 
Chass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jasper OR
Posts: 5,042
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

The pictures don't do justice to the crazy amount of fish we caught.

I took this short vid to show what the deck looked like. Note that they had already removed 2 huge carts full of fish before I took this.

https://youtu.be/rHgV3VEcYKg

https://youtu.be/M6JnIhyTBL8

Chass
__________________
260 Weldcraft Cuddy King. Team Flying Iron. Master Troller. Scofflaw. Tyrant.

Last edited by Chass; 11-06-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Chass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:36 PM   #12
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon
 
Gun Rod Bow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 14,091
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Nice pile guys. Thanks for the pics Chass.

I fly to SD tomorrow for our annual 7 day on Shogun.
__________________
"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." Greek Proverb
Bundìn er bàtlaus mađur
Gun Rod Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:41 PM   #13
Chass
King Salmon
 
Chass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jasper OR
Posts: 5,042
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Rod Bow View Post
Nice pile guys. Thanks for the pics Chass.

I fly to SD tomorrow for our annual 7 day on Shogun.
I hope you guys have as great of a trip as we did! We saw the Vagabond come back from an 8 day with quite a haul of Wahoo. Lots of small schooly yellowfin and all kinds of other random fish. They didn't find the cow YF they were looking for but they sure found Whooville!

Chass
__________________
260 Weldcraft Cuddy King. Team Flying Iron. Master Troller. Scofflaw. Tyrant.
Chass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:26 PM   #14
Shake N Bake Sportfishing
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ilwaco, Washington
Posts: 2,236
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Dogs,

For those of you who have not been and are going, here are my 2 cents.

Pool terminal gear with your friends if you can, as we had a lot of some things and not enough of others- next year the entire boat is pooling tackle and one guy is responsible for gathering it all.

A two speed reel is a must- I suffered badly trying to reel in a larger model by pumping it in albacore style.

My Accurate BV 500 2 speed was the perfect reel for everything we caught, I never needed my smaller or bigger stuff.

There was no reason to bring my 100lb spinning outfit as I never used it, but Jimmy Wu cleaned up on his, so you never know.

The way to get them in is to point your rod at them and winch them in. Once I switched to a two speed, life got a lot easier.

Buy a few flying fish at the tackle shop near the landing, they are not cheap, but they work.

Bring a light sleeping bag if you have one, the blankets are fine, but they move around and I wish I had a sleeping bag.

Ear plugs are a must.

Bring a small flashlight.

Iron produced ZERO bites for a lot of man hours, so don't waste too much $$ or time on jigs.

Buy fluoro from 25 on up, but don't spend too much $$ on anything over 60, as the bulk of the fish came on 30.

The rental reels were not very good, they cost some people fish and I never used mine as it has a big topshot of lousy mono with lots of memory.

Bring hooch and mixers if you want any, they do not seem to mind and they did not have much in the way of mixers.

Don't bring too many changes of clothes, as the shower is not ideal and you will likely just deal with being grungy until the last night.

Big fish and small baits means do not let them eat it like albacore, I did and missed a bunch until the captain told me to put it in gear as soon as the tuna took off, after that I started catching a lot more fish.

When they baited my hooks I got bit a lot more.

Do not be too proud to have them pitch it out for you, as these guys are really, really good at what they do.

Good luck on your trips.

Mike C
__________________
www.shakenbakesportfishing.com

Last edited by Shake N Bake Sportfishing; 11-06-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Shake N Bake Sportfishing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:15 PM   #15
chrome obsession
King Salmon
 
chrome obsession's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ocean (Garibaldi), rivers and Aloha.
Posts: 5,853
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Thanks for all the helpful info guys, much appreciated. Excited for the trip in a week.
__________________

God is good
24' NR Seahawk. F/V T-Sea-Time
Served 7 years in the Army

OTC 09,10,13,14,15,16,17,18,19.Team aqua Dominion/No Bail/Meanwhile charters.
1st place OTC (DCC) 2019 champs.
chrome obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:55 PM   #16
ron m
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Corvallis & Newport
Posts: 8,160
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

I haven't been on the New Lo Ann, but absolutely agree with taking a small flashlight and ear plugs, both are necessities IMO. Also some tennis, running, or deck shoes beside some boots. Keep one pair of the shotes dry for in the cabin, meals, and getting up in the night to take a leak.

Those of you going on a trip with all Oregon or fish folks, good for you. I think it's much better to go with a group you know that signing up as a single on an open boat.
ron m
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:37 PM   #17
Sun Dog
Sturgeon
 
Sun Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Junction City
Posts: 4,405
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron m View Post
Those of you going on a trip with all Oregon or fish folks, good for you. I think it's much better to go with a group you know that signing up as a single on an open boat.
ron m
Yep, chartering the whole boat lowered our costs by a bunch! And kept the passenger count down to 22 (with open charter it is 32, and the rail was a bit crowded). Great group of guys heading out next Tuesday Can't Wait!
__________________

- 24' NR Sea Hawk Hard Top
Sun Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:07 PM   #18
Booja 1
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gresham
Posts: 1,335
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Very nice Chass, can read excitement in yer post. Seems like one ends up using one rig whole time on this kind of fishing. Be easier next go around when u now know a little bit of what to expect. Towards evening or morning bump up to say 50lb n see if u can get bit. U hang something a skosh bigga 60-100, u will be glad. Adam when he tosses a bait, fishes 50 alot n gets bit then hands off. Fishing Bluefin may be tougher to get bit on 50 but Adam does it there as well.

Nice u guys were able to have da Tribute pass off some 'dines since he was going in, let Adam make da run to Clemente fo squirts instead of going all da way back to bait recievers. But making that long run to Clemente fo jus 100 pcs of bait was sure going waaay above n beyond in doing everything fo u guys to catch fish. Did the crew put lights ova side n jig em? Not enuff fo a full on float n crowder da things. Bet u guys turned that lil bit of squid into many yellowfin.
And da night driver getting back into position fo yer day to start da next morn AND giving Adam a chance to close his eyes so he can be on his game again da next day all da while when u guys were sleeping!! Just anotha day in da office fo da Lo An crew n shows how hard they try to catch fish for their folks.

Hope yer tips reflected da effort, catching is a bonus, effort is what really counts.

Really not necessary to buy any flyers as if needed boat will have em and they have good kite gear all wit Penn 50's

Yes crew will cast, bait yer hook, do connections n tie hooks but do learn how to do all of these things. Ask a deckhand if u aren't comfortable wit picking a bait, catching it n pinning it on to show u BUT do it at a dead time when Adam is driving around looking. Takes a while n alot of practice to finally pick out a good bait n prob shoulder hook it witout killing it.

Casting is anotha something to get profficient at. As Sundog said practice. Helps to have a wet spool, befo u get to fishing again when driving around, grab yer rig n let out a bunch of line off da stern, ck yer drag as well, not when yer pulling on a fish. Get so that u can lob yer bait, put a nice arc in yer cast where yer bait gently lands not a line drive where bait belly flops n goes belly up when hitting da water. And cast yer bait right where deckhand is tossing chum n follow it around stern.

U guys had a wonderful trip, everybody was bent, next time as we all know fish may not cooperate as much, then what do u do to get bit. Two yrs ago on partyboats (charters) many fish were caught on poppers, last yr not so much but 250g flat falls caught their share in da dark, this yr flat falls not so much but good bite on meter fish so who knows what will happen next yr or if they will even show up again, bluefin that is. Smaller boats wit speed have gotten into popper action n lotsa beeg kite Bluefin but a partyboat goes a whoppin 10 kts n catching one fish at a time on kite doesn't sit well wit some albeit fish maybe ova 200. And getting 3-4 fish while fine on a private boat wit only that many guys is not what skippers on charter boats like.

Anyways again great trip.
Booja 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #19
Chass
King Salmon
 
Chass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jasper OR
Posts: 5,042
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booja 1 View Post
Very nice Chass, can read excitement in yer post. Seems like one ends up using one rig whole time on this kind of fishing. Be easier next go around when u now know a little bit of what to expect. Towards evening or morning bump up to say 50lb n see if u can get bit. U hang something a skosh bigga 60-100, u will be glad. Adam when he tosses a bait, fishes 50 alot n gets bit then hands off. Fishing Bluefin may be tougher to get bit on 50 but Adam does it there as well.

Nice u guys were able to have da Tribute pass off some 'dines since he was going in, let Adam make da run to Clemente fo squirts instead of going all da way back to bait recievers. But making that long run to Clemente fo jus 100 pcs of bait was sure going waaay above n beyond in doing everything fo u guys to catch fish. Did the crew put lights ova side n jig em? Not enuff fo a full on float n crowder da things. Bet u guys turned that lil bit of squid into many yellowfin.
And da night driver getting back into position fo yer day to start da next morn AND giving Adam a chance to close his eyes so he can be on his game again da next day all da while when u guys were sleeping!! Just anotha day in da office fo da Lo An crew n shows how hard they try to catch fish for their folks.

Hope yer tips reflected da effort, catching is a bonus, effort is what really counts.

Really not necessary to buy any flyers as if needed boat will have em and they have good kite gear all wit Penn 50's

Yes crew will cast, bait yer hook, do connections n tie hooks but do learn how to do all of these things. Ask a deckhand if u aren't comfortable wit picking a bait, catching it n pinning it on to show u BUT do it at a dead time when Adam is driving around looking. Takes a while n alot of practice to finally pick out a good bait n prob shoulder hook it witout killing it.

Casting is anotha something to get profficient at. As Sundog said practice. Helps to have a wet spool, befo u get to fishing again when driving around, grab yer rig n let out a bunch of line off da stern, ck yer drag as well, not when yer pulling on a fish. Get so that u can lob yer bait, put a nice arc in yer cast where yer bait gently lands not a line drive where bait belly flops n goes belly up when hitting da water. And cast yer bait right where deckhand is tossing chum n follow it around stern.

U guys had a wonderful trip, everybody was bent, next time as we all know fish may not cooperate as much, then what do u do to get bit. Two yrs ago on partyboats (charters) many fish were caught on poppers, last yr not so much but 250g flat falls caught their share in da dark, this yr flat falls not so much but good bite on meter fish so who knows what will happen next yr or if they will even show up again, bluefin that is. Smaller boats wit speed have gotten into popper action n lotsa beeg kite Bluefin but a partyboat goes a whoppin 10 kts n catching one fish at a time on kite doesn't sit well wit some albeit fish maybe ova 200. And getting 3-4 fish while fine on a private boat wit only that many guys is not what skippers on charter boats like.

Anyways again great trip.
All good points and good advice.

Yes, we are fully aware of how far they went out of their way to make our trip great. VERY aware and we all tipped accordingly. I think the standard was a couple hundred per passenger to the crew. Some tipped significantly more but I didn't watch everyone put their money in the bowl. I know I put in 200 bucks and everyone else I talked to put in at least that much. I can tell you this, three of us saw Adam leaving the boat later that day. He went out of his way to thank us for taking care of the crew. I think we did good, probably over the top good just like they did for us.

I happened to have stayed up on the way to San Clemente. They did put a big 600 watt metal halide over the side. It brought in the squid almost instantly. Tons of other stuff too. There were a couple of squid jigs in the water but I think they only caught a few on those. The crew were using nets to dip them. That only worked when the squid were RIGHT at the surface because as soon as the net touched the water, they took off. I found that if I held the net right in front of the light in the water, some of the squid would swim at the light and end up against the net. Then just scoop. I got doubles that way pretty frequently. I think I caught about 1/2 to 3/4 of the squid we ended up with that night. The long handle net was key. It was a blast to catch them too! I really wanted to eat them!

Chass
ct
__________________
260 Weldcraft Cuddy King. Team Flying Iron. Master Troller. Scofflaw. Tyrant.

Last edited by Chass; 11-07-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Chass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:25 PM   #20
Booja 1
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gresham
Posts: 1,335
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Good on u guys fo taking care of crew. They will remember da group next go around.

Sheesh u made squid as well? Heckeva effort on yer part!! So wud u rather eat calamari or yellowfin?

Think them long handle nets dbl to catch flyers up next to Island. Like catching butterflys as u motor along flushing em like quail. Sometime u hafta duck or move outta way as they can fly toward u clearing da rail landing on deck
Booja 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:41 PM   #21
Chass
King Salmon
 
Chass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jasper OR
Posts: 5,042
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booja 1 View Post
Good on u guys fo taking care of crew. They will remember da group next go around.

Sheesh u made squid as well? Heckeva effort on yer part!! So wud u rather eat calamari or yellowfin?

Think them long handle nets dbl to catch flyers up next to Island. Like catching butterflys as u motor along flushing em like quail. Sometime u hafta duck or move outta way as they can fly toward u clearing da rail landing on deck
Haha! I'm gona go with yellowfin . . . but I also love calamari! I am going to try to find a big bright underwater light so we can fish squid at night. I love eating them. Just another untapped resource for me!

Chass
__________________
260 Weldcraft Cuddy King. Team Flying Iron. Master Troller. Scofflaw. Tyrant.
Chass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #22
Puffin
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Portland
Posts: 3,941
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Hey Mike are you talking the yummy flying fish Lures
__________________
The original Salty dog
If you fish the prediction you will never fish.
You can't cook it if you don't hook it.
If the coast guard says GO FISH we do.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:51 PM   #23
Chass
King Salmon
 
Chass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jasper OR
Posts: 5,042
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
Hey Mike are you talking the yummy flying fish Lures
No, we bought the real deal. The boat had a bunch too. Trussed up flying fish that they dangle from the kite. It was pretty cool to see. Apparently big bluefin go nuts for these.

Chass
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flying fish.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	733743  
__________________
260 Weldcraft Cuddy King. Team Flying Iron. Master Troller. Scofflaw. Tyrant.
Chass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:29 AM   #24
Sun Dog
Sturgeon
 
Sun Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Junction City
Posts: 4,405
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Did your Monster Fish snap the kite gear or pull the hooks at color? How long was it on? Must have been A.azing!
__________________

- 24' NR Sea Hawk Hard Top
Sun Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:37 AM   #25
Puffin
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Portland
Posts: 3,941
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chass View Post
No, we bought the real deal. The boat had a bunch too. Trussed up flying fish that they dangle from the kite. It was pretty cool to see. Apparently big bluefin go nuts for these.

Chass
Thx
__________________
The original Salty dog
If you fish the prediction you will never fish.
You can't cook it if you don't hook it.
If the coast guard says GO FISH we do.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:20 AM   #26
Chass
King Salmon
 
Chass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jasper OR
Posts: 5,042
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Dog View Post
Did your Monster Fish snap the kite gear or pull the hooks at color? How long was it on? Must have been A.azing!
Nothing broke, just pulled the hooks. There was some speculation that it may have been nose hooked and after that long fight, it just wore a big hole that eventually pulled out. I've never seen a fisherman so bummed out that they lost a fish as Adam was. It was an epic fight. Real bummer we didn't get a chance to see it again. I wasn't paying close attention to the time but when I said we had it on for an hour, I was corrected that it was on for almost 2 hours. Someone else might have a more accurate time. It was a long time no matter how you cut it.

Chass
__________________
260 Weldcraft Cuddy King. Team Flying Iron. Master Troller. Scofflaw. Tyrant.
Chass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #27
Shake N Bake Sportfishing
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ilwaco, Washington
Posts: 2,236
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

I just got a report from a buddy that the NLA plugged the boat in one day (around 2 tons of tuna) , offloaded, and went back out again.

Lots of 100 plus BFT and a bunch of YFT.

WOW.

Mike C
__________________
www.shakenbakesportfishing.com
Shake N Bake Sportfishing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #28
Mark Mc
King Salmon
 
Mark Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Corvallis
Posts: 9,101
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake N Bake Sportfishing View Post
I just got a report from a buddy that the NLA plugged the boat in one day (around 2 tons of tuna) , offloaded, and went back out again.

Lots of 100 plus BFT and a bunch of YFT.

WOW.

Mike C
Ya... If you check out 976-tuna (dot) com - both the written and audio reports - many of the boats slayed them yesterday and through this morning; pretty much limits of YF plus the BF.

NLA report says: 16 bluefin from 90 - 250 lbs; "bulk of them 140 - 170."
__________________
Mark Mc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:18 AM   #29
Timber Tech
Sturgeon
 
Timber Tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sandy
Posts: 3,729
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

I’m shaking as I read these reports. Just getting to start the drive down now.
__________________
FEED IT!
Team Carkvader
OTC Team Change Order
Timber Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #30
MYRTLE BEE
Steelhead
 
MYRTLE BEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: salem, or.
Posts: 449
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Great report!! big plus when you have friends to fish with.
MYRTLE BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #31
Quiet Riot
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia County
Posts: 5,489
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

They landed a super cow yesterday also. Getting excited.
Quiet Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #32
Booja 1
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gresham
Posts: 1,335
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
They landed a super cow yesterday also. Getting excited.

Make that 3 supers yesterday per Markus who is giving Adam a rest fo u guys. Greg on Aztec fishing fo only big ones on last day of their present 3 day had 2 supers as well yest and a 290. He said fly line or sinker rig, nothing less than 80lb.

Anticipation is da best.........

Last edited by Booja 1; 11-09-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Booja 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:12 PM   #33
Quiet Riot
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia County
Posts: 5,489
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booja 1 View Post
Make that 3 supers yesterday per Markus who is giving Adam a rest fo u guys. Greg on Aztec fishing fo only big ones on last day of their present 3 day had 2 supers as well yest and a 290. He said fly line or sinker rig, nothing less than 80lb.

Anticipation is da best.........
Yup, just heard 355 on da biggest one which is why he guestimated the other 2 under 300 but they were well over 300 also. Plus lots of yft and 100-170# bft. I'm happy with whatever we get to play with, 100 is just fine by me. 300 sounds like a lot of work and handoffs
Quiet Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:41 PM   #34
tfonev
Chromer
 
tfonev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Portland/PC
Posts: 510
Default Re: 11/4 New Lo Ann tuna report. Excellent fishing. 115 big tuna.

The food you end up with is pretty amazing tooClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1558.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	733827
tfonev is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:09 AM.

Terms of Service
 
Page generated in 0.42069 seconds with 48 queries