Metolious unit hunt - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 10-07-2019, 07:11 AM   #1
Brian304
Cutthroat

Default Metolious unit hunt

Just wrapped up a super disappointing mule deer season in the Metolious unit. Group put in a number of days hunting and a lot of miles on foot with nothing to show for it. A number of does but nearly non existent signs of bucks. Most of the areas we covered had little fresh signs of deer period. This is not a new area to me and we hunted both up high and down lower.

Saw a single camp with one hanging and a heard a handful of shots the second weekend. My onetime excitement for Eastern Oregon deer hunting has took a serious hit over the last decade. It's a good thing I still like being out in the woods.

Wondering how others did in the unit? Hopefully better than we did.

Brian304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 09:09 AM   #2
Stick'em
King Salmon

Default Re: Metolious unit hunt

About the same story all around.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
ehunter
King Salmon

Fort Rock was the worst I have experienced in 15 years plus I talked to about 15 other groups including people with 30 years. Either the snow was worse last winter or the cats were feasting we saw several tracks. Most guys with trail cams had numerous bears. I beat the brush we saw about a deer a day. We had a new hunter he got a spike. What happened their were no deer kills on the highway like a normal migration. It was a terrible I wonder what the bio has
To say I will call him tomorrow
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 06:50 PM   #4
Hydrophilic
Tuna!

I didn’t have a tag this year but still hunted with some friends and family. They filled 2/3 tags near Baker city. We were really fortunate, not a lot of action going on, lowest amount of deer sign we have seen in awhile. First time hunting mule deer in snow as well. ODFW guy tells me they haven’t really recovered from the bad winter a few years ago, locals are certain it’s the predators. Probably a combo of both.
Hydrophilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:42 AM   #5
Timber hunter
Ifish Nate

I’ve been scouting for upcoming muzzle loader and late season bow hunt for family members. It’s very disappointing how get deer are left. I’ve already earned my brother that the tag he waited for for 20 years is going to be a tough hunt. At least the muzzy tag was drawn from the 25% pool. I know I’m not dumping points on this unit next year like I had planned.
Timber hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:03 AM   #6
Flatfish
King Salmon

I'd be willing to wager that a lot of E OR deer took a beating last February.

Big snow early in winter, they can pull thru. Big snow late....they are gonna take it on the chin.

Add in the tendency of management to sell every possible tag, and predators (Not to mention poaching), and numbers simply aint gonna be great.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:06 AM   #7
flounder pounder
Tuna!

I have acreage in the metolius and run cams year round, telling you one thing the tribal SLAUGHTER of deer and elk in the unit is unsustainable and dead wrong....steady decline in numbers and quality every year
Old 10-08-2019, 06:27 AM   #8
Brian304
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder pounder View Post
I have acreage in the metolius and run cams year round, telling you one thing the tribal SLAUGHTER of deer and elk in the unit is unsustainable and dead wrong....steady decline in numbers and quality every year
I spent a morning up in the NW corner, just below the reservation boundary. I am sure there were probably deer in the middle of the manzanita patches but I saw no signs of recent activity.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:20 AM   #9
444Marlin
Chromer

I saw absolutely no deer during the season. However, I was out of town on work. So it sounds like I did just about as well as the rest of you, which isn't too bad considering!
During my elk archery hunts I saw good numbers of deer, and had a few nice bucks in bow range...next year I'll probably get an deer archery tag if I hunt the same unit.

I have a WA general season tag, and will be getting out for a couple weekends.
444Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:21 AM   #10
tailchaser
Sturgeon

I'm a local, have Tcams in the unit most of the year and had the rifle tag last year. It was terrible and not something I would advise to any of my buddies to put in for in the near future. I helped an ifisher out a couple years ago, best buck we could even find was mid 160's. We covered the unit looking for something better and it just wasn't there.

I agree with the note regarding the tribe, all of November it's a shooting gallery for them.

tc
tailchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:57 AM   #11
flounder pounder
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
I'm a local, have Tcams in the unit most of the year and had the rifle tag last year. It was terrible and not something I would advise to any of my buddies to put in for in the near future. I helped an ifisher out a couple years ago, best buck we could even find was mid 160's. We covered the unit looking for something better and it just wasn't there.

I agree with the note regarding the tribe, all of November it's a shooting gallery for t
tc

Last edited by flounder pounder; 10-08-2019 at 07:59 AM.
flounder pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:00 AM   #12
flounder pounder
Tuna!

starts the first day of bow season and goes til February or something, opening weekend bow i watched through spotting scope a group several vehicles on squaw back ( private property) a group of men were finishing off a group of elk 2 large bull 2 decent ones and several cows, It was a tribal slaughter and the were behind the gates on ponderossa land and cattles private ground, no BS one cow was ass shot and crawling around, my buddy tried to report it as he is friends w the landowner and nothing ever came of it. I have never seen anything like it
Old 10-08-2019, 09:56 AM   #13
OSUsmokey
Coho

Silvies Unit went 5/8 this past week. Nothing huge but we saw some monsters.
OSUsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:36 AM   #14
Brian304
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUsmokey View Post
That's a good trip, congratulations.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:03 AM   #15
Timber hunter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Silvies draw odd just got tougher for 2020. lol. Congrats on a good season.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:11 AM   #16
Calcoyote
Chromer

I hunted the Metolious unit a few years back and it cost me 6 pref points to get it. I was very underwhelmed. Saw only a few small bucks and most hunters did not get anything. I was pretty disappointed.

QUESTION:
I heard this unit is crazy during the late archery season with seeing multiple bucks per day. I had thought about just going over there and camping this year and driving the roads just for the fun of seeing the bucks. Would that be a waste of my time given the present circumstance???
Calcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #17
Santiam338
Sturgeon

[QUOTE=Calcoyote;16136145

QUESTION:
I heard this unit is crazy during the late archery season with seeing multiple bucks per day. I had thought about just going over there and camping this year and driving the roads just for the fun of seeing the bucks. Would that be a waste of my time given the present circumstance???[/QUOTE]

Bro Ken and I did just that 2 years ago..Spent the day driving around with a video camera...Seems we seen about 90 deer total with a few decent bucks..

Old 10-08-2019, 11:36 AM   #18
M combs
Steelhead

Silver lake was terrible and i heard upper deschutes was just as bad.... the bio blamed the poor upper deschutes on an early migration which should have made fort rock silver lake paulina good but that was not the case
M combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #19
wildwood
Ifish Nate

Flatfish:

Big snow early in winter, they can pull thru. Big snow late....they are gonna take it on the chin.

Add in the tendency of management to sell every possible tag, and predators (Not to mention poaching), and numbers simply aint gonna be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder pounder View Post
These two posts are spot on.

The deer populations have dealt with strange weather for years. Most of the time they recover just fine. However not with all the other factors being added on top of it. The poor deer and elk in this area, and around the state for that matter, don't stand a chance.

I don't want this to become a bash the tribe or tribal treaty thread, but let's be 100% real. You can not allow hunting with modern weapons and today's technology under rules that were drafted 150 years ago. All parties need to be realistic in this approach. I understand the want to be connected to ones heritage, but if that's the case then may be the tribal hunters need to utilize the weapons and technology that existed at the time of the treaty. If they want to utilize today's weapons and technology then they need to play by the same game as everyone else. My only exemption would be what they do on the reservation. Do whatever you want with in the borders of the rez, but don't expect the rest of us to pay to restore the animal populations so they can be whipped out again. Much like the Big horn sheep 15 years ago. And if there is a tribal member reading this, I hope they realize that if they continue doing what they are doing now, then the kids being born today won't have to worry about this fight because all the animals will be gone and your hunting heritage will be gone forever. It is definitely time for a change, and that change will only start with in the tribe because politicians are too weak to do anything, and too worried about being politically correct and not hurting any ones feelings.

Us hunters have to be realistic as well.

First question besides Baltz how many of use are actually going out and targeting predators, like really targeting them. I admit, I am one that could do better. I go out a few times a year and give a so-so try, but honestly I could be more dedicated to it.

Next question, why are we so interested in making sure we JUST have opportunity to have a tag in our pocket. Hence the way that ODFW manages our game populations. ODFW gets tired of people complaining so they just issue more tags, including issuing a gazillion cow hunts. Or even better yet, they lower the buck requirement to a spike (yeah that was a great idea). We should be looking to other states that are doing it right and seeing what they do to manage their animals. I know this isn't very popular, but go to a draw for the whole state, every single unit for every single weapon. Put restrictions in place for buck and bull hunts. 3 point or better for both. I know, some blacktails will only ever be forkies, may be allow fork or better for blacktail units only. The only antlerless hunts that I support with our current populations are for youth hunts, or possibly disabled hunters.

Last question, and this is more for other units as well, but why do we allow for the commercialization of wildlife? If a landowner wants some LOP tags, fine; but don't let them sell them. If they want to sell a hunt via a trespass fee for a tag holder that has drawn a tag in the state draw, no problems there at all; but no more selling of LOP tags period. If a landowner wants to limit damage to their property, then allow hunters to access the property.

I truly believe that we are handling these issues much like the State of Oregon handles the PERS issue, just kick the can down the road a little bit and someone else will figure out a way to handle it or will magically go away.

As I stated above, much like the tribal hunters need to address from with in, so do we as hunters. Keep kicking the can down the road, and in 20 years we won't have to worry about it; because it will ALL be gone.

Last edited by wildwood; 10-08-2019 at 11:54 AM.
wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:11 PM   #20
boomguy
Chromer

we learned last weekend that the Umatilla & Nez Pierce tribes can hunt during the elk rut. hunted Wenaha and saw numerous big bulls in trucks. asked the OSP what was open other than raffle or gov tag and he told us that one native indian can take others out to hunt on a tribal permit. in a unit that takes 20 years to draw, it is just not right.

on the deer side of things, very poor with 3/4 tags filled with spike white tails. did not see a muley buck at all.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:48 PM   #21
Brian304
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
Flatfish:

The deer populations have dealt with strange weather for years. Most of the time they recover just fine. However not with all the other factors being added on top of it. The poor deer and elk in this area, and around the state for that matter, don't stand a chance.

I don't want this to become a bash the tribe or tribal treaty thread, but let's be 100% real. You can not allow hunting with modern weapons and today's technology under rules that were drafted 150 years ago. All parties need to be realistic in this approach. I understand the want to be connected to ones heritage, but if that's the case then may be the tribal hunters need to utilize the weapons and technology that existed at the time of the treaty. If they want to utilize today's weapons and technology then they need to play by the same game as everyone else. My only exemption would be what they do on the reservation. Do whatever you want with in the borders of the rez, but don't expect the rest of us to pay to restore the animal populations so they can be whipped out again. Much like the Big horn sheep 15 years ago. And if there is a tribal member reading this, I hope they realize that if they continue doing what they are doing now, then the kids being born today won't have to worry about this fight because all the animals will be gone and your hunting heritage will be gone forever. It is definitely time for a change, and that change will only start with in the tribe because politicians are too weak to do anything, and too worried about being politically correct and not hurting any ones feelings.

First question besides Baltz how many of use are actually going out and targeting predators, like really targeting them. I admit, I am one that could do better. I go out a few times a year and give a so-so try, but honestly I could be more dedicated to it.

Next question, why are we so interested in making sure we JUST have opportunity to have a tag in our pocket. Hence the way that ODFW manages our game populations. ODFW gets tired of people complaining so they just issue more tags, including issuing a gazillion cow hunts. Or even better yet, they lower the buck requirement to a spike (yeah that was a great idea). We should be looking to other states that are doing it right and seeing what they do to manage their animals. I know this isn't very popular, but go to a draw for the whole state, every single unit for every single weapon. Put restrictions in place for buck and bull hunts. 3 point or better for both. I know, some blacktails will only ever be forkies, may be allow fork or better for blacktail units only. The only antlerless hunts that I support with our current populations are for youth hunts, or possibly disabled hunters.

Last question, and this is more for other units as well, but why do we allow for the commercialization of wildlife? If a landowner wants some LOP tags, fine; but don't let them sell them. If they want to sell a hunt via a trespass fee for a tag holder that has drawn a tag in the state draw, no problems there at all; but no more selling of LOP tags period. If a landowner wants to limit damage to their property, then allow hunters to access the property.

I truly believe that we are handling these issues much like the State of Oregon handles the PERS issue, just kick the can down the road a little bit and someone else will figure out a way to handle it or will magically go away.

As I stated above, much like the tribal hunters need to address from with in, so do we as hunters. Keep kicking the can down the road, and in 20 years we won't have to worry about it; because it will ALL be gone.

Great post and I agree with the predators. The problem is the general public is not interested in controlling them, and the ODFW is not helping the cause. I know the optics are bad, but dogs or bait are really the only way to effectively hunt and manage cougars. Yes, you can spend a lot of time using the current legal ways of targeting them and might get one. I have friends who regularly loose small livestock to them. They have a hard time getting one even after leaving a fresh kill out. And they are hunters. Doesn't mean we can't try, just wish we had more options.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #22
JacobOutdoors
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
Flatfish:

A lot of good points, Wildwood. Unfortunately getting hunters to agree on some of these issues proves to be very difficult. All hunters agree that we have problems with our ungulate populations and predator management, we just don’t seem to agree on how to solve the problems.

I’ve seen the suggestion to turn the state into a draw before only to have some chastise the person suggesting the idea. Hunters will compare Oregon to other states where the draw style is a complete lottery every year. People complain about ODFW’s management of our elk and deer, but if they came out tomorrow and announced a statewide draw you can bet there would be a fair number of guys complaining about not being able to hunt. We have to hold ourselves to a certain standard and accountability as well, we can’t put all the blame on ODFW.

How many guys complain about herd health and then shoot the first legal deer they see from fear of going home empty handed? I don’t buy the old “it’s meat in the freezer and feeds my family” line. Nobody is feeding their family for the year on 80lbs of deer meat.

It’s tough to hear but if hunters want to see change they are going to need to step up and participate in it and probably sacrifice a little to get it. It’s a “forest through the trees” approach.
JacobOutdoors is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:22 PM   #23
JacobOutdoors
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian304 View Post
Great post and I agree with the predators. The problem is the general public is not interested in controlling them, and the ODFW is not helping the cause. I know the optics are bad, but dogs or bait are really the only way to effectively hunt and manage cougars. Yes, you can spend a lot of time using the current legal ways of targeting them and might get one. I have friends who regularly loose small livestock to them. They have a hard time getting one even after leaving a fresh kill out. And they are hunters. Doesn't mean we can't try, just wish we had more options.

Hound hunting and baiting has been gone for 25 years, it’s time to accept it and move on or make a big effort to get it back, the latter being unlikely to happen.

How is ODFW “not helping the cause”?
JacobOutdoors is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #24
Brian304
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobOutdoors View Post
Hound hunting and baiting has been gone for 25 years, it’s time to accept it and move on or make a big effort to get it back, the latter being unlikely to happen.

How is ODFW “not helping the cause”?
I agree dogs and baiting are not likely to come back. My comment about the ODFW not helping the cause is this: Most hunters are aware of the damage done to herds by cougars, as are most of the biologists that I have spoken with. I don't necessarily hear a consistent and strong message from the ODFW as a whole regarding the threat they pose. I think if the ODFW consistently communicated this to the general public, attitudes toward them may change. Most non hunters I know only care about them if they are spotted to close to a school or in a neighborhood.

This is not a bash on the people who work for ODFW, only my two cents worth of opinion.

Last edited by Brian304; 10-08-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #25
fishinpox
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiam338 View Post
Bro Ken and I did just that 2 years ago..Spent the day driving around with a video camera...Seems we seen about 90 deer total with a few decent bucks..

Metolius scouting - YouTube

Not sure why I've never thought about doing this in that unit. Each year we go up above the Dalles and cruise around looking for deer. Might switch strategies this year.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:38 PM   #26
Timber hunter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcoyote View Post
I hunted the Metolious unit a few years back and it cost me 6 pref points to get it. I was very underwhelmed. Saw only a few small bucks and most hunters did not get anything. I was pretty disappointed.

QUESTION:
I heard this unit is crazy during the late archery season with seeing multiple bucks per day. I had thought about just going over there and camping this year and driving the roads just for the fun of seeing the bucks. Would that be a waste of my time given the present circumstance???
I’ve been doing just that for about 25 years.
It get worse every year. Last year I spent one full day from the jack lake area all the way to lake billy chinook. I saw (3) bucks and about 30 does. Don’t bother wasting your time now.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #27
SR98
Steelhead

Quote:

Good for you guys! Spent a week over there and didn’t see a buck. Well over a 100 deer though but not even any dinkers. And two big cougars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SR98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #28
Calcoyote
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber hunter View Post
I’ve been doing just that for about 25 years.
It get worse every year. Last year I spent one full day from the jack lake area all the way to lake billy chinook. I saw (3) bucks and about 30 does. Don’t bother wasting your time now.
The area around Jack Lake was where I was thinking of. I will save my time and gas.
Calcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #29
Joe
King Salmon

I burned my 10 deer points last year on the muzzleloader hunt and it was a pretty dismal. I kind of expected it but couldn't see any reason to continue building deer points in Oregon which I'm not any more. I hunted most of a week and was finally able to kill a decent 3 point. According to the statistics from last year I killed one of only 4 bucks killed for 40 tags on the muzzleloader hunt. Pretty sad stats for a hunt that takes 10 points!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:55 PM   #30
ElkChaser
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian304 View Post
I agree dogs and baiting are not likely to come back. My comment about the ODFW not helping the cause is this: Most hunters are aware of the damage done to herds by cougars, as are most of the biologists that I have spoken with. I don't necessarily hear a consistent and strong message from the ODFW as a whole regarding the threat they pose. I think if the ODFW consistently communicated this to the general public, attitudes toward them may change. Most non hunters I know only care about them if they are spotted to close to a school or in a neighborhood.

This is not a bash on the people who work for ODFW, only my two cents worth of opinion.
You are correct about ODFW not helping the cause.

Last year when the lady was killed by the cougar I heard an interview by ODFW’s expert cougar biologist and he was asked directly if Oregon had too many cougars. His answer was it depends on who you ask.

That right there is the problem. A person who is supposed to be a biologist giving a political answer. They don’t manage our wildlife based on science. It’s all about politics and money.
ElkChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:39 AM   #31
Timber hunter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I burned my 10 deer points last year on the muzzleloader hunt and it was a pretty dismal. I kind of expected it but couldn't see any reason to continue building deer points in Oregon which I'm not any more. I hunted most of a week and was finally able to kill a decent 3 point. According to the statistics from last year I killed one of only 4 bucks killed for 40 tags on the muzzleloader hunt. Pretty sad stats for a hunt that takes 10 points!
I saw that statistic too and thought of you being one one the 4. I’m hoping I can find a decent buck for the hunter I’m helping but I’m not confident and I know this area as good as any piece of ground I’ve ever hunted in. I had the muzzy hunt 5 years ago and was not too impressed but it was way better then than now. I now have 5 points for deer and have no desire to draw anything. I haven’t drawn a rifle mule deer hunt since 1997. I’ve been muzzy hunting since for draw hunts. Not one muzzy hunt offered in Oregon is worth more than two points. I honestly don’t know why I’m even applying for deer hunting in eastern Oregon anymore. I guess I’m hoping someday everything goes to draw hunts and I have some points when it does.
I told ODFW 2 years ago the late hunts in metolius should be deleted but they don’t agree. Maybe if more people wrote letters or showed up at the public meetings I wouldn’t be as much of a minority hunter and more of a average hunter. They don’t listen to minority hunters.

I did notice they deleted the juniper muzzy hunt due to complaints of hunt quality from past hunters. Funny thing is they bio in bend told me the Steens is doing better than any unit in central Oregon as far as Population counts. Yet they deleted the only late hunt in the area. They make no sense to me.

Last edited by Timber hunter; 10-09-2019 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:01 AM   #32
willametteriveroutlaw
King Salmon

Quote:
I saw that statistic too and thought of you being one one the 4. I’m hoping I can find a decent buck for the hunter I’m helping but I’m not confident and I know this area as good as any piece of ground I’ve ever hunted in. I had the muzzy hunt 5 years ago and was not too impressed but it was way better then than now. I now have 5 points for deer and have no desire to draw anything. I haven’t drawn a rifle mule deer hunt since 1997. I’ve been muzzy hunting since for draw hunts. Not one muzzy hunt offered in Oregon is worth more than two points. I honestly don’t know why I’m even applying for deer hunting in eastern Oregon anymore. I guess I’m hoping someday everything goes to draw hunts and I have some points when it does.
I told ODFW 2 years ago the late hunts in metolius should be deleted but they don’t agree. Maybe if more people wrote letters or showed up at the public meetings I wouldn’t be as much of a minority hunter and more of a average hunter. They don’t listen to minority hunters.

I did notice they deleted the juniper muzzy hunt due to complaints of hunt quality from past hunters. Funny thing is they bio in bend told me the Steens is doing better than any unit in central Oregon as far as Population counts. Yet they deleted the only late hunt in the area. They make no sense to me.
I had a buddy cash in 20 nr points on it last year, said it was one of the worst hunts he's ever been on..

I was in the juniper this year, and as a whole, it was the worst numbers I've ever seen there. Pivots that had hundreds of deer a few years back were void of them. In 11 pivots checked at last light, we saw 8 deer total. 5 years ago, we'd have seen several hundred in the same locations.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

-Flatfish
willametteriveroutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:09 AM   #33
Mountain Climber
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkChaser View Post
That right there is the problem. A person who is supposed to be a biologist giving a political answer. They don’t manage our wildlife based on science. It’s all about politics and money.
https://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/yeahthat.gif

That right therein lies the truth! I heard the same exact thing from a different bio last year. They simply are not able to do their job...
Mountain Climber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #34
Mountain Climber
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Climber View Post

That right therein lies the truth! I heard the same exact thing from a different bio last year. They simply are not able to do their job...
Mountain Climber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:02 PM   #35
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
Both were deleted due to complaints of hunt quality.

The 3 that were added back (143C,145A,148A) were done so to provide a perceived quality opportunity for that portion of the mule deer hunting population that prefers a quality hunt on an irregular basis vs. the opportunity of going hunting on a regular basis.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:37 PM   #36
OSUsmokey
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR98 View Post
Good for you guys! Spent a week over there and didn’t see a buck. Well over a 100 deer though but not even any dinkers. And two big cougars

Darn; did you fling lead at the cats?! I was actively cougar hunting the whole time. Nothing spotted didnt see even a yote.
OSUsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #37
willametteriveroutlaw
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by loper View Post
Both were deleted due to complaints of hunt quality.

The 3 that were added back (143C,145A,148A) were done so to provide a perceived quality opportunity for that portion of the mule deer hunting population that prefers a quality hunt on an irregular basis vs. the opportunity of going hunting on a regular basis.
People need to get used to the idea that mule deer tags are harder to get. If we continue down the same path we're on now, they'll be no deer to hunt in 20 years.

-Flatfish
willametteriveroutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #38
Twitch
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by willametteriveroutlaw View Post
People need to get used to the idea that mule deer tags are harder to get. If we continue down the same path we're on now, they'll be no deer to hunt in 20 years.
I'd be shocked if they lasted 20.

I saw 21 deer this season over east. I literally laughed when I saw the first group, as my goal was just to see a deer. I ended up passing 8 forkys. The 8/21 part was quite shocking as well.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #39
SR98
Steelhead

Quote:
Darn; did you fling lead at the cats?! I was actively cougar hunting the whole time. Nothing spotted didnt see even a yote.

Unfortunately it was just after dark. Driving back to camp come around corner and both were in middle of the road. One jumped up the bank and the other kinda just wandered up the shoulder while I followed before diving off. They were just down the road from a couple camps too! Saw what looked like 3 coyotes but couldn’t get a good look through the binos to confirm

SR98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #40
Whatchaketchemon
Steelhead

I think people are used to the fact that mule deer tags are harder to get. What sucks is waiting 5 years to go on a "decent" hunt and seeing next to nothing. There is no reason Oregon can't turn out multiple quality deer hunts other than politics and **** poor management by ODFW.
Whatchaketchemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:48 PM   #41
luvs2fish
Tuna!

Pretty tough year over on my end which has been great for the past 10yrs. I had 5 chances at bucks during archery season, I was either facing the sun, not trusting my rangefinder or not trusting landowner ship boundaries during archery season. I held a few shot chances back because of the later but would have been completely. Passed up on the biggest buck I would have ever taken because of the later reason but I wouldn't take the opportunity back. He was a monster. Maybe next year.

Moving on to rifle season with my youngest and first time hunter daughter due to my work schedule I could only get her out opening Saturday and Sunday then she had mandatory stuff at school Monday but I kept her out Tuesday for one last hunt before I left town for work again for the remainder of the season.

102 deer seen no duplicates of deer hunted all over the unit, I might know it pretty well... she had an opportunity at a really nice 3 point during one of our hikes but he didn't want to play long enough for her to get set up. Deer are there but not many bucks.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #42
loper
King Salmon

Angry Re: Metolious unit hunt

OSP Fish & Wildlife is looking for information on an Unlawful Taking of a Buck Deer- Deschutes County - 10/14/19

The Oregon State Police Fish & Wildlife Division is asking for the public's help for information regarding the unlawful take of a buck deer north of Sisters.

A 4x4 buck deer was found shot with a rifle and left to waste near the intersection of Camp Polk Rd and Wilt Rd.

Investigators believe the deer was shot sometime around September 5th during the buck deer archery season.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:56 PM   #43
Sneaker
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs2fish View Post
she had an opportunity at a really nice 3 point during one of our hikes but he didn't want to play long enough for her to get set up. Deer are there but not many bucks.
Primos trigger sticks are fast to deploy.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #44
kaseyfield
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomguy View Post
we learned last weekend that the Umatilla & Nez Pierce tribes can hunt during the elk rut. hunted Wenaha and saw numerous big bulls in trucks. asked the OSP what was open other than raffle or gov tag and he told us that one native indian can take others out to hunt on a tribal permit. in a unit that takes 20 years to draw, it is just not right.

on the deer side of things, very poor with 3/4 tags filled with spike white tails. did not see a muley buck at all.
Try getting the tribal game cop to do something they are suppose to hunt with a bow during the rut.. not a rifle.. wish it would change.. really wosh it would

Kasey
kaseyfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:51 AM   #45
Yooper Time
Chromer

I’ve spent 3 days in the woods looking for elk and scouting for the muzzy tag. I’ve seen one small buck...
Old 10-15-2019, 05:28 AM   #46
Reel fortunate
Tuna!

It's not what it once was that's for sure...... in 1998 I had the late archery tag and again in 2015 . What a difference. I talked with 2 different state police while in the unit and both said the reservation and poaching are a major problem.

23x84 HT, Raider Coastal
Reel fortunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:18 AM   #47
Lucky Guy
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Time View Post
I’ve spent 3 days in the woods looking for elk and scouting for the muzzy tag. I’ve seen one small buck...

You might need to hunt closer to the houses for the nice bucks that are left in this unit!
Lucky Guy is offline   Reply With Quote