9/11 been 18 years - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 09-11-2019, 05:15 AM   #1
whtelk
Ifish Nate

Default 9/11 been 18 years

18 years ago and still fresh in my mind. I think the news should play the videos all day long. RIP to OUR people.

whtelk is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 05:48 AM   #2
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Default Re: 9/11 been 18 years

It remains one of our nation's worst nightmares, and always will.
Zealots are a menace to humanity.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:51 AM   #3
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 06:58 AM   #4
Artwo
King Salmon

Artwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:36 AM   #5
jokester
King Salmon

The images of this day 18 years ago will be forever burned in my memory! NEVER FORGET!

-jokester

"Pull a few weeds while you're resting..." - Grandpa

Romans 8:28
jokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:34 AM   #6
Crazy Outdoors
Chromer

I remembered being woke up and seeing it on the news. Then mad dash to Pearl and really didn't see any more for the next 2 days while we were on the ship.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:02 AM   #7
Dave G
King Halibut

Never Forget!

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:56 AM   #8
DogZilla15
King Salmon

The shock has not worn off.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #9
Tar Heel
Ifish Nate

I also think we should applaud the national security people and local LE who have avoided another disaster of this magnitude, or worse. I'm sure it's not for a lack of trying by certain terrorist organizations. Never forget, and hopefully, never again.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #10
Stick'em
King Salmon

I was getting into my pickup getting ready to drive to work in the pentagon when the first one hit the tower. Glad I worked flex hours and didn't have to be there early.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #11
crabbait
King Salmon

I was the swing shift supervisor at PDX tower. When I arrived at work they were still staffing all control positions with not an airplane in the sky, nothing moving on the ground. It was surreal. Controllers standing around in headsets staring out the windows at a sky with no contrails.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #12
bradly11
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbait View Post
I was the swing shift supervisor at PDX tower. When I arrived at work they were still staffing all control positions with not an airplane in the sky, nothing moving on the ground. It was surreal. Controllers standing around in headsets staring out the windows at a sky with no contrails.

Among other things, that was one thing that stood out to me in the days afterwards. No plane traffic. It was so quiet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bradly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #13
Pipe Dream
Ifish Nate

Wife and I went through Logan the evening of the 10th on our way to Quebec City for our Silver Anniversary celebration on the 11th. Never Forget!
Pipe Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #14
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

The US came of age and shed its innocence. Much of the rest of the world already had tight security standards; required to go through a metal detector before entering a shopping mall and having handbags run through a scanner or physically searched. We aren't quite there yet, but have been moving in that direction since 9/11. It ushered in legislation that curbed our personal privacy and civil rights. The aftermath asked people to spy on their neighbor and report any 'suspicious' activity. It made me wonder what Anne Frank would have thought.

It changed us.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:14 PM   #15
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Anne Frank had a birds eye view.
Gawd Bless her.
And it scares me to think where we're going tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #16
Rickster
Tuna!

It was a defining moment in our history. Yet, I stumbled across a radio show last night (the 11th of Sept.) where the guests and host were claiming it was all a gigantic hoax. It made my stomach turn. I will never forget. Bless all who were touched by this evil act.

I have a coworker who is an Afgan National. And yes, he and his family are Muslim - not that it matters ... At least it shouldn't. Hammed and I are the same age. While I was trying to ... well ... sniff around the girls, he was fighting the Russians. We met in '96. His English was rough but improved steadily. As he became more comfortable with us and the language, we learned that the Afgan people were news junkies ... Especially for news from home. Those of us who shared a lunch table with Hammed learned about Osama Bin Laden long before he was talked about on the news. I knew the instant I heard about the attack, who was likely responsible. Of all of the long faces I saw on that terrible day, Hammed's was saddest. He said he felt ashamed because this evil came from his homeland and target the people who gave him a new home.

Incidentally, my daughter was 9 at the time. She was mad that they interupted her TV shows with "stupid news stuff". I tryed to explain it, but her 9 year old mind was made up. "There is just no good reason to interupt Aurther!"
Old 09-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #17
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
It was a defining moment in our history. Yet, I stumbled across a radio show last night (the 11th of Sept.) where the guests and host were claiming it was all a gigantic hoax. It made my stomach turn. I will never forget. Bless all who were touched by this evil act.

I have a coworker who is an Afgan National. And yes, he and his family are Muslim - not that it matters ... At least it shouldn't. Hammed and I are the same age. While I was trying to ... well ... sniff around the girls, he was fighting the Russians. We met in '96. His English was rough but improved steadily. As he became more comfortable with us and the language, we learned that the Afgan people were news junkies ... Especially for news from home. Those of us who shared a lunch table with Hammed learned about Osama Bin Laden long before he was talked about on the news. I knew the instant I heard about the attack, who was likely responsible. Of all of the long faces I saw on that terrible day, Hammed's was saddest. He said he felt ashamed because this evil came from his homeland and target the people who gave him a new home.

Incidentally, my daughter was 9 at the time. She was mad that they interupted her TV shows with "stupid news stuff". I tryed to explain it, but her 9 year old mind was made up. "There is just no good reason to interupt Aurther!"
Heavy mon. Heavy.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:18 AM   #18
JD77
Ifish Nate

Guy I had lunch with a few times in college was killed in the Twin Towers. Last year we went to the 9-11 memorial in NYC (which is excellent) and they have a way to look up the victims and have relatives shares stories about each one. Looked him up and listened to his mom talk about how much she misses him stopping by for dinner. Crushingly sad to see all the pictures and listen to individual stories of grief like that.

I encourage folks to check out the play Come From Away. It is the story of the planes (and the people on the planes) that were diverted to Newfoundland on 9-11 and what happened as the Canadians scrambled to take care of 100s of people. There is no happy ending story from the 9-11 tragedy, but this story of kindness among people is one of the more uplifting things I have seen in a long time.

Last edited by JD77; 09-14-2019 at 06:37 AM.
JD77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:50 PM   #19
emora
Chromer

We had a moment of silence at work before stretch and flex and then talked about 9/11. At our dinner table that evening the wife and I talked about where we were and what we were doing that horrible morning when we heard the news as newlyweds. Her watching it on TV at home and me hearing it on the the radio at work. I asked my kids if they had talked about it at school and was surprised and disappointed that it wasn’t brought up in any of their classes. On that note, can anyone recommend a show/documentary on Netflix or YouTube etc. that I can watch with my post 9/11 kids so they can slightly understand what happened to us that day? Thank you.
NEVER FORGET.
emora is offline   Reply With Quote