Anchoring up for Halibut ? - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 07-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #1
capt. meares
Steelhead

Default Anchoring up for Halibut ?

I know in Puget Sound it is common to Anchor up, throw a chum bag down with a downrigger ball and sit and wait for halibut. Am I missing something or do we not do that here in Oregon . I know on the right day it could be done, but I'm just wondering why I've never seen this before. Has anyone here ever tried it?

Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #2
Dave G
King Halibut

Default Re: Anchoring up for Halibut ?

Through the years I have read on here people that have done it, but again I don't know if it was the WA or OR folks doing that. But boy I can see the gun fire that would happen down here when someone pulls within 100 feet of a anchored person.

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #3
ron m
King Salmon

First,it's not legal in OR waters to chum except for tuna.

I've tried anchoring twice N of the N end of the YRCA. Didn't get a halibut either time, one of those times I moved because rockfish came under me and took the halibut baits. I think it might work, but drifting seems to work better and for me at least, I want a decent ocean to anchor out there.

Lots of boats go by and don't realize you're anchored and it's probably not a smart thing to do in any area where a commercial troller might be working.
ron m
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #4
Mark Mc
King Salmon

Make$ no $en$e in deep water (i.e. ranch) but near$hore? Ab$olutely.

Al$o, it i$ perfectly legal to drop a crab pot full of bait, next to your anchor. Wink.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #5
Fishndiver
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mc View Post
Make$ no $en$e in deep water (i.e. ranch) but near$hore? Ab$olutely.

Al$o, it i$ perfectly legal to drop a crab pot full of bait, next to your anchor. Wink.
I’ve tossed around the idea of dropping a couple crab pots loaded with bait perpendicular to the drift then drift fishing between them. If nothing else it should get some crabs.
Fishndiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:43 PM   #6
Alsetz
Coho

Also, some GPS electric trolling motors have electronic anchoring. Drop a crab pot and anchor with your trolling motor. Drift has too be reasonable.
Alsetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:41 PM   #7
fish Addict80
Tuna!

I have done a fair amount of anchoring around the pile and nearshore for halibut. Started doing it about 6-7 years ago. I have found that anchoring is not very consistently productive on calm days with no to little drift. I have always done well anchoring when the drift was fast. The first 30-60 minutes usually is slow but picks up after an hour or so. I always put at least on really big bait for scent trail and the rest are normal size. Most of the time I have got at least one decent size fish. You need a large anchor with at least a boat length of large chain or you will drag or need 1000 feet of line. I used a 40 pound CR type anchor with 25 feet of chain and 600’ of line but normally had around a 1.5-2 Scope of line out. It held most of the time. I also used a large Danforth and kedge type with decent holding results. I have a buddy that uses a plow type that does well. The more chain you have the less scope you can have and still hold.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:31 PM   #8
Westward
Steelhead

I have done it a lot in the sound from 40’ of water to 120’ it’s really effective if you have the right setup for a chum bag. We run a 6” pvc pipe with holes drilled in it about 10lbs of lead in the bottom of it. Grind up herring, shad, clams, fish scraps, add scent of choice to the ground up bait. Every once in a while bring the chum barrel up off bottom and drop it down to shake up the grind. Run your lead on a slider to about a foot dropper. If you do not get a halibut in a hour move. You want current to help spread your scent. You will want no swell.

Parker 2520 XLD "Bucket List"
Westward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:56 AM   #9
pirk fan
Tuna!

I did it a couple of times on a buddy's boat up in Cook Inlet outside of Homer. Worked great up there, but of course it's kind of the halibut capital of the world. Rocking chair anchor, and use a buoy and anchor puller on your setup, makes moving waaay easier, the buoy helps the anchor hold (and lets others know you're at anchor)
pirk fan is offline   Reply With Quote