Where to find value of boat/motors - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 07-11-2019, 11:06 AM   #1
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

Default Where to find value of boat/motors

Sadly we're selling our boat and have a friend that is interested. Don't want to take him to the cleaners but also want a fair price for us too. Where/who can give us the market value that we can trust? Thanks for your help. (tears here)

MsOutdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 11:16 AM   #2
Wesully1
Steelhead

https://www.nadaguides.com/Boats

This should help.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:36 AM   #3
10-7
Tuna!

Default Re: Where to find value of boat/motors

NADA is a guide to start. I would recommend looking at craigslist boat trader etc... for your boat in the pacific northwest area and try and get a gauge on what there selling for. Definitely a buyers market with the runs down. good luck.
10-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Pirate
Ifish Nate

Thumbs up Re: Where to find value of boat/motors

SearchTempest dot com.....
Old 07-11-2019, 12:15 PM   #5
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Sorry to hear that MsO.
Hope you can get another in the near future.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #6
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfeet View Post
Sorry to hear that MsO.
Hope you can get another in the near future.
Thanks, FF. No boat in the future. Hubby has just reached an age and a health condition that doesn't allow for hooking up the boat, backing down the ramp, etc. Our friend who is interested in the boat PROMISED I could still go fishing with him though. That's good.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:45 PM   #7
HntnFsh
King Salmon

NADA will probably come in pretty low. Look for comparables. As mentioned Craigslist, boat trader etc.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:06 PM   #8
flatman
King Salmon

post a pic here. many have a good idea.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:42 AM   #9
HalibutZach
Tuna!

Trust me, you can NOT go by Nada values. They will be 30-80 % lower than what the boat will sell for on the current market Just look at the prices of new boats the last 8-10 years. Nada values are extremely low and cater to the boat dealers etc. I have a friend who works for Nada and they have told me that Nada is influenced by $$$$ from outside sources, (can you smell what the rock is cookin?).

I recommend that you have your boat package appraised by a certified boat appraiser. It might cost you a few hundred dollars, so what, you will easily get that back and much, much more. You can go online to find appraisers or check with your local boat dealer, a lot of times they are certified appraisers.

Last edited by HalibutZach; 07-13-2019 at 05:19 AM.
HalibutZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #10
fishinman
Tuna!

I agree with the nada value being 30-50% lower than the going rate. But banks do use it for determining value when applying for a loan. So it can make it difficult for a buyer with little money down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:53 PM   #11
HalibutZach
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsOutdrs View Post
Sadly we're selling our boat and have a friend that is interested. Don't want to take him to the cleaners but also want a fair price for us too. Where/who can give us the market value that we can trust? Thanks for your help. (tears here)

Like I mentioned in a earlier mail, most of the boat dealerships will have a appraisal person as well.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:27 PM   #12
flatman
King Salmon

boat dealers tell you the auction value of a boat as that is what they pay for them when you trade it in. they never unless he is your personal friend tell you the real price as they hope for you to sell it to them .
Old 07-13-2019, 05:22 AM   #13
HalibutZach
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatman View Post
boat dealers tell you the auction value of a boat as that is what they pay for them when you trade it in. they never unless he is your personal friend tell you the real price as they hope for you to sell it to them .

flatman: With all due respect, I am talking about a CERTIFIED Appraiser, not just the boat dealer, Big Difference.............
Old 07-13-2019, 08:41 AM   #14
bigfishaddiction
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalibutZach View Post
flatman: With all due respect, I am talking about a CERTIFIED Appraiser, not just the boat dealer, Big Difference.............
Hello there Outdoors, this is Mike Fisher here at Sportcraft Marina Inc. Call me at (503)656-6484 Tuesday through Saturday, or anytime on my cell phone at (503)891-9011 and I will give you info on what true market value is for your boat and a print out of NADA Book Value as well free of charge. PM sent.
bigfishaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:55 AM   #15
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishaddiction View Post
Hello there Outdoors, this is Mike Fisher here at Sportcraft Marina Inc. Call me at (503)656-6484 Tuesday through Saturday, or anytime on my cell phone at (503)891-9011 and I will give you info on what true market value is for your boat and a print out of NADA Book Value as well free of charge. PM sent.
Very nice offer. Ive dealt with the people at Sportcraft in the past and felt I was treated very well!
Old 07-13-2019, 08:55 AM   #16
bigfishaddiction
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Unfortunately flatman you seem to have this misconception that all boat dealers should be put in one basket. I know just about all of them (and have personally bought boats from several of them) within a fifty mile radius of where I sit and wouldn't categorize almost any of them in that way.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:17 AM   #17
Stick'em
King Salmon

What are you selling? There's enough experienced boat owners here to give you a ballpark number.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:17 AM   #18
flatman
King Salmon

that is not a misconception. they are in business to buy and sell boats. so if they think you are selling they will give you the price they are paying. not tell you that it is worth almost twice as much. if they did they wouldnt get any tradein or out right buys.
its not that they are trying to cheat you they are trying to buy your boat.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:05 AM   #19
HalibutZach
Tuna!

Quote:
that is not a misconception. they are in business to buy and sell boats. so if they think you are selling they will give you the price they are paying. not tell you that it is worth almost twice as much. if they did they wouldnt get any tradein or out right buys.

flatman: I agree with you as there are some boat dealers that work that way. I know for a fact that All boat and car sales people are required to search their local newspaper and craigslist daily for deals. They offer the seller wholesale, then re-sell it for a 50-80 per cent or even more. There can be more profit in a used boat than a new one, same as cars. Why do you think there are so many late model used boats for sale by owner. That is because the dealer offers wholesale which is peanuts.......

Here is the Nugget: Get a Certified Boat Appraisal, from an independent source, Bar None..............

Last edited by HalibutZach; 07-14-2019 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:14 PM   #20
flatman
King Salmon

that is basically my point only a disinterested party that has no desire to purchase the boat is the person to do an appraisal or market analysis.

that is why i posted above to put pics up here. as many of us look at boats and have a close idea of what one should sell for. at least it is a starting point and if the so called expert is way off from that then you can guess that he may not be the one to totally rely on.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:19 PM   #21
flatman
King Salmon

here is my story, the two biggest dealers in portland both offered me only 10,000 for my intruder whether buying new from them or not. and told me that is about all it was worth and they would only get a little more than that after they put money into it.

i declined as i knew i could do better on this site. i got 17,000 and took off my t-8 and electric trolling motor. that is like half of what i would have got.

Last edited by flatman; 07-14-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #22
bigfishaddiction
Ifish Nate

Quote:
We work on a different guideline that caters to the sellers needs and don't mind giving free advice when someone is in fact in need. To be frank we hardly do any purchasing, or trades. Have we? Well of course, but to be quite honest I wish we and general public were able to purchase boats at what NADA says a boat is worth usually, but the book and true market value are usually off quite a bit dollar figure wise. Some have huge NADA Values and won't sell for anything close to it and some book at half of true value in a nutshell.

Last edited by bigfishaddiction; 07-16-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:08 AM   #23
HalibutZach
Tuna!

Quote:
We work on a different guideline that caters to the sellers needs and don't mind giving free advice when someone is in fact in need. To be frank we hardly do any purchasing, or trades. Have we? Well of course, but to be quite honest I wish we and general public were able to purchase boats at what NADA says a boat is worth usually, but the book and true market value are usually off quite a bit dollar figure wise. Some have huge NADA Values and won't sell for anything close to it and some book at half of true value in a nutshell.
EXACTLY, you just described why NADA is basically a Bend me over publication.......
Old 07-17-2019, 06:16 AM   #24
HalibutZach
Tuna!

Quote:
My experience with Mr. Fisher approx. 15 years ago. I went to Sportcraft Marina online and found a boat I was interested in. It was on consignment. I called and talked to Mr. Fisher. He quoted me a price. The price was of course high. I did some research and found out who the owner was. I called the owner and told them I was interested in it and the owner asked me what they were asking for it. It turned out they were asking $5,000.00 over the price of what the owner would sell it for. The owner was furious, he called Mr. Fisher and said he was picking up his boat. The owner picked it up and I went up and bought it from the owner. Well, and the boat game and car game go on and on.........
Old 07-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #25
bigfishaddiction
Ifish Nate

Quote:
My experience with Mr. Fisher approx. 15 years ago. I went to Sportcraft Marina online and found a boat I was interested in. It was on consignment. I called and talked to Mr. Fisher. He quoted me a price. The price was of course high. I did some research and found out who the owner was. I called the owner and told them I was interested in it and the owner asked me what they were asking for it. It turned out they were asking $5,000.00 over the price of what the owner would sell it for. The owner was furious, he called Mr. Fisher and said he was picking up his boat. The owner picked it up and I went up and bought it from the owner. Well, and the boat game and car game go on and on.........
It was not me and it was not Sportcraft as you were thinking. I have only been with them for nine years and we will not do that to sellers because we work from a much smaller commission than whom you are thinking of, but I'm sure I know who you are talking about. I always let the owners of the boats set their own prices on their boats after deciding what is a fair market value when they bring them to us here to see in person. The program that I have designed and brought with me to Sportcraft which is one that I have been fine tuning and using for twenty years is simple and as transparent as it gets with the highest commission being 10% of the sales price and only 8% for prior customers and customers from here on ifish. Does that sound like a $5,000.00 higher starting price when you think about it. I know it might be a bitter pill to swallow HZ but you have me and us mixed up with someone else likely very close by and the same name, but don't feel too bad as it's not the first time it's happened with my very common name. You have my phone number from my prior post and if you PM me yours I will call and clear this all up for you because I know what and who you are thinking, but don't feel it fair to well you know, just throw names out there on line for all to see when you are unfortunately and completely wrong. I offer free advice and favors on here all the time and it's unfortunate small mistakes by unknowing individuals like this that will probably now make me shy away from doing that for this very reason. Just type in Mike Fisher on here on the search button and see if anything close to what you have described comes up on myself and Sportcraft Marina Inc. It will show that it's quite the opposite of your prior description because it's not us. Once again PM sent with my personal contact info. Use it because I truly want to clear this up for you and I know I can and will.

Last edited by bigfishaddiction; 07-17-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:23 AM   #26
HalibutZach
Tuna!

Quote:
It was not me and it was not Sportcraft as you were thinking. I have only been with them for nine years and we will not do that to sellers because we work from a much smaller commission than whom you are thinking of, but I'm sure I know who you are talking about. I always let the owners of the boats set their own prices on their boats after deciding what is a fair market value when they bring them to us here to see in person. The program that I have designed and brought with me to Sportcraft which is one that I have been fine tuning and using for twenty years is simple and as transparent as it gets with the highest commission being 10% of the sales price and only 8% for prior customers and customers from here on ifish. Does that sound like a $5,000.00 higher starting price when you think about it. I know it might be a bitter pill to swallow HZ but you have me and us mixed up with someone else likely very close by and the same name, but don't feel too bad as it's not the first time it's happened with my very common name. You have my phone number from my prior post and if you PM me yours I will call and clear this all up for you because I know what and who you are thinking, but don't feel it fair to well you know, just throw names out there on line for all to see when you are unfortunately and completely wrong. I offer free advice and favors on here all the time and it's unfortunate small mistakes by unknowing individuals like this that will probably now make me shy away from doing that for this very reason. Just type in Mike Fisher on here on the search button and see if anything close to what you have described comes up on myself and Sportcraft Marina Inc. It will show that it's quite the opposite of your prior description because it's not us. Once again PM sent with my personal contact info. Use it because I truly want to clear this up for you and I know I can and will.
PM sent
Old 07-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #27
bigfishaddiction
Ifish Nate

Quote:
15 years ago Sportcraft Marina Inc was still on the water at Sportcraft Landing Boat Launch across the street from the Fisherman's Marine and Outdoor in Oregon City. They did not build and move in to their new location in Milwaukie until 10 years ago and I didn't join them until almost two years later. I PM'd you my contact info again asking you to PM me yours, so I could explain to to how much you are wrong and why. All I get in response from you is another question for me to try and convince yourself you are right, but no contact info. HMMMMM!!!! Do you think that maybe if you lost 7 years of your minds recollection " YOU MIGHT BE WRONG ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE THINKING "! Right???? Do the math! Do you really even remember when you bought that boat? According to you it was 15 years ago so that was back in 2004 and nothing about what you said about us fits in your calculations, or come close to adding up is a better way to put it. You probably have talked to me about boats sometime in the last 22+ years and somehow my name stuck in your mind, but we have never done what you accused us of, nobody has ever called to yell at me about pricing their boat $5,000.00 higher than what we agreed upon, or come to take their boat back after having said conversation about the price of their boat, so to put it in context it don't sound good for you by anyone reading this including you and me. That's OK though I won't ask you to say sorry right here on front street because I know that would be embarrassing. A PM will do just fine and have a nice day.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:53 PM   #28
No Reservations
Tuna!

Quote:

Why would the owner be furious I’m sure he signed paperwork before he left the boat. And at least at that time he considered it a fair deal am I missing something about how an consignment works ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No Reservations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #29
adrenaline
King Salmon

I agree NADA is way off, also agree craigslist is a good source to start, keep in mind what they are asking & what it actually sells for can be much lower, especially this time of the year when everybody knows you can get more than you can in the winter, so they start high, but I understand it's a friend, a work buddy recently had his dads 17' Smokercraft w/50hp Yama 4 stroke up for sale, said he wanted $3,500, I told him that was too low, I said to start at $7,000 & accept no less than $5,000, wanting a quick sale he put it up for $5,000, it sold in a day.

Last edited by adrenaline; 07-18-2019 at 01:22 PM.
adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:28 PM   #30
bigfishaddiction
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Reservations View Post
Why would the owner be furious I’m sure he signed paperwork before he left the boat. And at least at that time he considered it a fair deal am I missing something about how an consignment works ?

They do sign paperwork here with an already agreed upon starting price and set commission of between 8% & 10% of the sale price. Not all places that consign boats use this method because they want to make as much money at the point of sale as possible. They use what is called a net listing which gives them free reign to raise the price as high over the top of what the seller wants to achieve as they as they want to. Some of the spreads between owners numbers and dealers prices would make you want to puke, die, cry, faint and maybe even all symptoms of being astonished at the same time, but if you signed a net listing it just gave that seller your boat to do with what he, or she pleases. Sad but true, so if you don't already know read the fine print.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #31
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

In case it got lost among all the great and informative replies, we have a buyer for our boat. Just need to come up with a price that's fair. You all have provided those answers. Thank you so much.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:41 PM   #32
No Reservations
Tuna!

I had my 20 foot Northriver for sale at 25,000 the person who bought wanted financing through his credit union. They would only lone 15,000 which is what NADA valued it at.

I had people waiting in line at 25,000 market value and NADA was not even close!

No Reservations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:57 AM   #33
bigfishaddiction
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsOutdrs View Post
In case it got lost among all the great and informative replies, we have a buyer for our boat. Just need to come up with a price that's fair. You all have provided those answers. Thank you so much.
I PM'd you my contact info a day or so after you posted this and I would be happy to give you an assessment of true market value for your boat. Call me anytime. Is he a really good friend, or just a so so friend? Just kidding. I will make your value assessment is fair and make sure you will be getting back the equity that you deserve. What you decide to sell it to them for is surely your choice.

Last edited by bigfishaddiction; 07-19-2019 at 04:05 PM.