Silvers in B-10 Area - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 06-11-2019, 07:41 PM   #1
Denneroll
Chromer

Default Silvers in B-10 Area

For about 15 years I’ve scheduled vacations for the soft tides on either side of the bridge to target Chinook. Usually the 2nd or 3rd week of August. Last year was a disaster for my boat. Very soft tides, but poor results. This year forecasts are even bleaker.
But Silvers are are predicted to come in strong. BUT I’ve had the best ever Astoria fishing on the Washington side for clipped silvers mid to late September. A couple years on the way to a week in Nehalem we fished out of Hammond, there was about 16 boats, and we slayed! Although my vacations have already been picked (Teamster - pick vacations for 2019 in November of 2018) What are you guys and gals opinions for when the clipped silvers actually show in the river around B-10 to Tongue Point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denneroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 09:11 PM   #2
Big Game Fishing

Default Re: Silvers in B-10 Area

If the run is as big as predicted there will be silvers on every tide in August, and good numbers by the third week. Gotta fish em a little different, dredging bottom with lead usually isn't the best silver tactic.
Big Game Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:02 PM   #3
Headhunter
Sturgeon

I have only been doing B10 for 4 years now and have been lucky enough to get access to a beach house the 3rd week of August. I almost exclusively target chinook. Softer early tides, CPH/spinners, checkerboard, greenline, woodpile, church, Wash side above/below the bridge. Never lights out for me but I do ok and scratch a few here and there. Enough to keep me coming back.

This year I want to focus on silvers. What tweaks to my game should I do? Any special rigging, areas, tides, different part of water column? What is the best way to target silvers at B10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Game Fishing View Post
If the run is as big as predicted there will be silvers on every tide in August, and good numbers by the third week. Gotta fish em a little different, dredging bottom with lead usually isn't the best silver tactic.
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 10:42 PM   #4
redneckty1
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
I have only been doing B10 for 4 years now and have been lucky enough to get access to a beach house the 3rd week of August. I almost exclusively target chinook. Softer early tides, CPH/spinners, checkerboard, greenline, woodpile, church, Wash side above/below the bridge. Never lights out for me but I do ok and scratch a few here and there. Enough to keep me coming back.

This year I want to focus on silvers. What tweaks to my game should I do? Any special rigging, areas, tides, different part of water column? What is the best way to target silvers at B10?

If the numbers are correct, it won't matter what you do. When we had these numbers in the past it was silly. Spin anchovies anywhere. I don't target them any different except on outs I'll find them shallower for whatever reason.

redneckty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:20 PM   #5
Headhunter
Sturgeon

Thanks Mike. You fishing shallower water or just a smaller number on the line counter?
Old 06-12-2019, 04:03 AM   #6
Jsteel
Chromer

One of my favorite locations to fish silvers at B10 is right at the deadline of B10 during an incoming tide. It’s fun to watch the tide push in. Often you can see a rip line in the oven coming, with birds diving at bait. When it gets to you - fish on! This is not bottom fishing - it is 10 pulls or so on a diver or equivalent depth on lead. You are facing into the current, and you will get pushed back. Follow the fish once you find them.

And there may be a few hundred of your best friends out there in their boats, also pushing the B10 line. It’s just part of the game.
Jsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:17 AM   #7
[email protected]
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Game Fishing View Post

I agree and if anchovy’s enter the river early it will fish. Won’t be great probably till the last week of August but I never discount the early season (Less pressure and occasional good days)

I have caught Silvers tight to the bottom on the ebb on the downhill but in the swallower stuff. Deeper stuff as Big Game said probably not a need to bounce the bottom

derrick454@ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:25 AM   #8
Big Game Fishing

If you learned how to fish B10 in the last 4 years you probably predominantly fish 30 feet of water or less with lead dragging bottom most of the time.

Silvers can be in 60 feet of water, but hitting the bow rods at 15 feet on the counter.

They can also be tight to the bottom in 13 feet of water, but will only hit if you're trolling north/south while everyone else is going east/west.

When you find those bait balls that are so thick your Sounder marks them as bottom, fish right in the middle to just under that ball, there will be silvers in it.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:58 AM   #9
DogZilla15
King Salmon

BGF: I know troll direction means something in the ocean but never heard of it in the river. Will have to play with that a bit more.

Last couple of years the Silver numbers were so low it was tough to figure out a pattern or find a concentration of fish big enough to follow with the tide. This year should be much different. Maybe not so much early on but later it will mean everything.

One important thing to pay attention to is the other boats. They tell us where the fish are as well as are not. A concentration of boats not catching anything tells us where they are not. A single boat out in the middle of nowhere can be the hot boat. It may as well be you.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:18 AM   #10
Flatfish
King Salmon

Most of my time chasing silvers out of Hammond has been in the ocean. Dodgers and hootchies. Usually 10 pulls or less. Often 2-3 pulls.

In the river, they can be anywhere. But there is often a pattern.

That can be hovering divers shallow in front of Hammond (I like divers much better than lead in this application. Deltas or Deep Six work ok) on a big flood. Or it may be mooching (Not trolling) in 50'.
Or it can be trolling bottom in 15'.

Find a pattern. Work the program. Don't leave fish to find fish. Go faster than you do for kings.

For me (And it's contradictory) I like hardware in ocean and bait in river. It's what I started out with, and I never found a need to reinvent the wheel.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #11
Headhunter
Sturgeon

Great info fellas. Thanks you.

Are you using triangles and bait/spinners on a 36” leader? How are you rigging up?
Old 06-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #12
Big Game Fishing

Bait gets fished behind triangle flasher 3-4 feet. Hardware about the same. I prefer to run divers for silvers usually. When fish are thick I'll ditch the flasher, don't need all that junk on the line.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #13
fishsauce
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfish View Post
Most of my time chasing silvers out of Hammond has been in the ocean. Dodgers and hootchies. Usually 10 pulls or less. Often 2-3 pulls.

In the river, they can be anywhere. But there is often a pattern.

That can be hovering divers shallow in front of Hammond (I like divers much better than lead in this application. Deltas or Deep Six work ok) on a big flood. Or it may be mooching (Not trolling) in 50'.
Or it can be trolling bottom in 15'.

Find a pattern. Work the program. Don't leave fish to find fish. Go faster than you do for kings.

For me (And it's contradictory) I like hardware in ocean and bait in river. It's what I started out with, and I never found a need to reinvent the wheel.

I agree with what FF said above.

I also want to emphasize running hoochies and/or hardware. Coho are known aggressive biters. If you can run a rod dedicated to a hoochie or spinner that's one less rod to bait check. The last few years I've had days where the hoochie outfished bait 2 to 1, just stupid fishing.

Also follow the tide, that's where the bait balls will be and that's what the hos will follow.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:12 PM   #14
Headhunter
Sturgeon

Great all this makes sense and is basically what I have been doing all along. Only real tweak I need to make is smaller numbers on the line counter to fish shallower and swap out my CPH for chovies. I have jet & delta divers but never use them as I have been using lead. Might give divers a go this year.

Can’t wait for the coho rodeo!
Old 06-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #15
Flatfish
King Salmon

If I did spinners (Rare event for me), it would be walleye style. Not on a wire. 40# test with a blade on it. Too many bent wires. Too much time spent fixing bent wire shafts.

When the bite is on, and the fish are under you, get the gear in the water asap. Keep it there. If port rod gets bit (assuming fish don't swim under boat), I often leave starboard rods in.

As soon as fish is in net, deploy at least some of the gear immediately. Let person with fish mess with that. Other person covers net. Captain never leaves kicker.

I may do fish flashes if trolling lead. But with divers, I think whatever color is on diver is adequate attraction alone. Not to say fish flashes don't work. But they can tangle often if front seaters are newbs. I don't like the idea of a silver and a pound of lead and a skateboard. Too much to go wrong.

Bottom line is, silvers are more or less saltwater bluegill. Getting to bite aint read hard (Other than finding the pattern).

Skateboards are different than fish flashes. I have no experience with em on silvers, but given how well thry draw attention, I am confident they will work. Downside is, lotsa lost fish with em. Even with barbs.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Old 06-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #16
Grant Scheele
Ifish Nate

It has been my experience that the "good" coho fishing doesn't ever start before Aug 18th in the river. It will be fun to see what day the lights out fishing starts this year. It's been a few years since we have had these kind of coho numbers so my memory might be wrong but the 18th is the date I remember.
Grant Scheele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #17
redneckty1
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Thanks Mike. You fishing shallower water or just a smaller number on the line counter?

Smaller number. Water depth seems to make less of a difference on the out. Coho seem to 'wash' in and out more then kings.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:04 PM   #18
redneckty1
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Great all this makes sense and is basically what I have been doing all along. Only real tweak I need to make is smaller numbers on the line counter to fish shallower and swap out my CPH for chovies. I have jet & delta divers but never use them as I have been using lead. Might give divers a go this year.

Can’t wait for the coho rodeo!

They only reason I run anchovies more is they are more durable. Put a good on them and they don't blow out.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #19
DogZilla15
King Salmon

It'd be foolish to run skate boards for Silvers as they don't require a whole lot to get them near the bait. The most I use is a small dodger with bait 10" to 24" behind. A flashy spinner blade on the nose of an anchovy is adequate. To contradict all this, the largest Silvers I get every year come when using both a flasher and dodger. Quite a spectacle seeing those big fish going through the air dragging a Christmas tree behind them.

The less there is in the water, the easier it is to land fish. Inexperienced fisherpersons need all the help they can get.

I'm with Grant. After the 20th it can happen with some regularity. Before then it's a crap shoot.

Landing fish has a little trick to it that a person needs to exploit. When the water is super warm on the surface, it can temporarily shock a fish and they become comatose to the point they can be brought to the net right away. They stay in this state for 10 to 15 seconds and someone has to be on the net at the instant of hookup. It's up to the person with the rod to know this and what to do. The net needs to be accessible as well. Any hesitation by either and the advantage is lost. Once the fish wakes up it's the usual battle.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #20
Big Game Fishing

In 2001 we had like 1.2 million coho return. I was a weekend warrior back then and limited my boat every weekend from the opener on. Lots of those days were right on the firing line at 10 with the big charter boats.

More recently, in 2015 I caught coho in the river throughout August. In fact, August 1 that year my clients killed 3 nooks and 5 coho for their limit. It wasn't lights out coho fishing till the third week, but I would get our Chinook in the normal Chinook haunts, then head downriver near the deadline to pick off silvers.

There are more around early on than people think, but they are in small pods, and most folks have targeted Chinook recently. If you find a biter or two, stay on top of em.

Chinook are gonna be the bonus fish this year, I'm targeting coho immediately.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:34 PM   #21
Denneroll
Chromer

Lots of info and ideas, thanks.

Denneroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:02 PM   #22
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post

Landing fish has a little trick to it that a person needs to exploit. When the water is super warm on the surface, it can temporarily shock a fish and they become comatose to the point they can be brought to the net right away. They stay in this state for 10 to 15 seconds and someone has to be on the net at the instant of hookup. It's up to the person with the rod to know this and what to do. The net needs to be accessible as well. Any hesitation by either and the advantage is lost. Once the fish wakes up it's the usual battle.
This happens for virtually all troll caught coho. They tow to the boat like docile puppy dogs if you slowly reel to keep just enough tension on the line to keep them coming toward you.... ROD TIP LOW TO THE WATER.

DON'T BE IN A HURRY to get them to the boat.... your net-man needs all the extra time he can get cuz it all happens fast enough without rushing. As soon as the rod-man touches the bead, the net man should be ready to scoop as the fish is lifted to the surface.... GAME OVER! Yeah... like 15-20 seconds from rod-down to fish in the bag... faster than it took to type it.

Or do it BGF-style and just tow the fish til you can get the HEAVY (30-40#) leader into the assistant's hand for the quick heave-ho over the gunnel. Inspect for a fin as the fish is lifted out of the water.

Fin? Drop the fish back to the water for a no-touch de-hooking.

No fin? Keep'er'comin'up and over the gunnel and onto the deck.

Long Live the Kings!
eyeFISH.... The Keen Eye MD
eyeFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:52 PM   #23
Flatfish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeFISH View Post
This happens for virtually all troll caught coho. They tow to the boat like docile puppy dogs if you slowly reel to keep just enough tension on the line to keep them coming toward you.... ROD TIP LOW TO THE WATER.

DON'T BE IN A HURRY to get them to the boat.... your net-man needs all the extra time he can get cuz it all happens fast enough without rushing. As soon as the rod-man touches the bead, the net man should be ready to scoop as the fish is lifted to the surface.... GAME OVER! Yeah... like 15-20 seconds from rod-down to fish in the bag... faster than it took to type it.

Or do it BGF-style and just tow the fish til you can get the HEAVY (30-40#) leader into the assistant's hand for the quick heave-ho over the gunnel. Inspect for a fin as the fish is lifted out of the water.

Fin? Drop the fish back to the water for a no-touch de-hooking.

No fin? Keep'er'comin'up and over the gunnel and onto the deck.
Yep

In ocean (Works with barbless), we get a bite, grab rod out of holder, and immediately hit free spool. Let fish drag diver/dodger around (It holds hook in mouth). Once fish calms down (Usually only takes a few seconds), we gently reel them in (Not playing them. No pump and reel. Barely load the rod). They just follow the gear.

They are a lot easier to I D good vs bad fish. If it's a keeper, get the fish a few feet off the stern, reel down to the swivel, and lift pretty quickly. Scoop as soon as the fish is in range.

If it's a bad fish, play the hell out of em for a minute. Then feed slack. Try this a couple times. If not, dehook in the water. We still use a gaff for this, but a coffee cup hook (Like in kitchen cupboard) on a dowel would be easier to work into position.

I think we get less floaters this way.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:43 AM   #24
DogZilla15
King Salmon

The quick to the net trick does have a downside. When the fish wakes up, which is what they do when they hit the net, all hell breaks loose and they really thrash around which isn't good for the fish if it is to be released and it makes removing the hook(s) difficult and somewhat dangerous to the hands and fingers. Now if we got to keep everything brought to net, this would also have less impact on mortality. Blaming hooks for mortality is off kilter.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:08 AM   #25
CKthumper
Sturgeon

I usually try to check the fin before netting. If I do net one pre check, I leave the net in the water until the thrashing stops. A fin gets dumped right back out and the boat back in gear before hook removal.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:33 AM   #26
DogZilla15
King Salmon

CK.... I like that.