Clack Owners-Would You Fix This - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 06-10-2019, 08:41 AM   #1
shouldbehunting
Chromer

Default Clack Owners-Would You Fix This

Got a new to me Max and it came with a couple of good sized dings. Not sure if they are worth getting them fixed or let em ride until I have a couple more?

Does anyone else have worse dings and how bad do they need to be before you take care of them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crack1.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	724785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crack2.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	724787  

shouldbehunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 08:53 AM   #2
motoxaaron03
Tuna!

Default Re: Clack Owners-Would You Fix This

I'm not a clack owner, but I would DEFINITELY fix those, especially the first one.

Don't they have a 100 year guarantee? How does that work?
Old 06-10-2019, 09:04 AM   #3
Whethole
Sturgeon

If I were silly enough to buy a glass boat, I would definitely fix those dings. If you hit that spot a few more times, it might give out. Just yesterday, I was checking out my friends 12 year old boat, and I was amazed as to how many cracks, dings, and chips it had, and he doesnt even run burly waters. The back anchor arm bolts have reamed themselves loose and needed bigger bolts multiple times. Even the rail where the tie down strap goes has a crack down it. If glass boats crack and chip that much, I can see why they need a 100 year guarantee. Good luck with the new boat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
Capt MoMos
Steelhead

I believe that has a lifetime warranty on that area if it’s leaking. I would call and talk to Jake, maybe send him the pictures to see what he thinks.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #5
shouldbehunting
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whethole View Post
If I were silly enough to buy a glass boat, I would definitely fix those dings. If you hit that spot a few more times, it might give out. Just yesterday, I was checking out my friends 12 year old boat, and I was amazed as to how many cracks, dings, and chips it had, and he doesnt even run burly waters. The back anchor arm bolts have reamed themselves loose and needed bigger bolts multiple times. Even the rail where the tie down strap goes has a crack down it. If glass boats crack and chip that much, I can see why they need a 100 year guarantee. Good luck with the new boat!
Your disdain for fiberglass boats has been well documented, in previous posts of Clackacraft topics that I've researched. After floating the lower Wilson in low water yesterday I was amazed at how low of flow I can float through without getting stuck. Looking forward to many more years of enjoyment. I'm very happy with my purchase so far!
Old 06-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #6
PnwChrome
Steelhead

I own a clack and I would fix that immediately or go get a new one.
PnwChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #7
Pensacola
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldbehunting View Post
Got a new to me Max and it came with a couple of good sized dings. Not sure if they are worth getting them fixed or let em ride until I have a couple more?

Does anyone else have worse dings and how bad do they need to be before you take care of them?
Those are actually very easy fixes even to the point of leaving the boat on the trailer. From the digs in the bottom I'd flip it over and take care of them too!

Hint: Use 2" masking tape to make a mold for the final coat of gelcoat and grind 'er smooth after repairing the ding for assured water proofing.
Good Luck!
Old 06-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #8
Pensacola
Tuna!

Quote:

Those are actually very easy fixes even to the point of leaving the boat on the trailer. From the digs in the bottom I'd flip it over and take care of them too!

Hint: Use 2" masking tape to make a mold for the final coat of gelcoat and grind 'er smooth after repairing the ding for assured water proofing.
Good Luck!
Old 06-10-2019, 11:12 AM   #9
Pensacola
Tuna!

That is a very easy fix even to the point of not taking it off the trailer. Put coating resin on the "wound" and then gel coat with matching color.

Hint: Use 2" masking tape to make an oversized mold for the liquid gel coat. When cured, grind it smooth and hit it with polishing compound. If you have the gel coat, flip the boat and fix some of the really bad digs on the bottom too!

Good luck and good boating!

Last edited by Pensacola; 06-10-2019 at 11:14 AM. Reason: duplicate
Pensacola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:15 AM   #10
cutplugherring
Ifish Nate

Fix em!
Old 06-10-2019, 11:16 AM   #11
Fishsizzle
Steelhead

Agree, those are pretty easy fixes. Evercoat makes some nice products for gelcoat.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #12
Whethole
Sturgeon

I wouldn't call it disdain, more of a preference. I may joke around with people in regards to the metal vs. glass debate, but at the end of the day they both will do their intended job. I was listing the things I noticed on my friends boat as a heads up for things to watch out for in the future. I might add that my friend isnt the most periodic maintenance minded as I am. As long as you're happy with your purchase , then I am happy for you. Be prepared for good ole friendly trash talk at times, though. Unless you're too tightly wound and cant handle fun banter, that is. Again, good luck with your new toy!
Old 06-10-2019, 12:23 PM   #13
shouldbehunting
Chromer

Quote:
I wouldn't call it disdain, more of a preference. I may joke around with people in regards to the metal vs. glass debate, but at the end of the day they both will do their intended job. I was listing the things I noticed on my friends boat as a heads up for things to watch out for in the future. I might add that my friend isnt the most periodic maintenance minded as I am. As long as you're happy with your purchase , then I am happy for you. Be prepared for good ole friendly trash talk at times, though. Unless you're too tightly wound and cant handle fun banter, that is. Again, good luck with your new toy!

Feel free to throw shade my way! At least you realize that they are very capable boats. It was nearly a coin flip between either the Clackacraft or Wilie. Reason I went with the Clackamax is this is a family friendly boat mostly. Just yesterday had my wife, dog, and two boys on it. Anything smaller and it's a too tight of a fit. That and the low water capabilities. I don't see myself going down blossom bar anytime soon in it....
Old 06-10-2019, 12:24 PM   #14
shouldbehunting
Chromer

Thanks for the advice guys. I was going to wait and not fix those dings, but now I'll look more into it. I have a text into the Clack guys and also do some youtube research on how to do it myself...
Old 06-10-2019, 01:15 PM   #15
edsr
Ifish Nate

What Pensacola said," it's and easy fix".
Old 06-10-2019, 01:37 PM   #16
Deadrise
Steelhead

might want to rethink the "Fear No Rock" phrase
Deadrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:57 PM   #17
Whethole
Sturgeon

Quote:
Feel free to throw shade my way! At least you realize that they are very capable boats. It was nearly a coin flip between either the Clackacraft or Wilie. Reason I went with the Clackamax is this is a family friendly boat mostly. Just yesterday had my wife, dog, and two boys on it. Anything smaller and it's a too tight of a fit. That and the low water capabilities. I don't see myself going down blossom bar anytime soon in it....
Very capable boats, indeed. Whether you have to re epoxy, or weld bad spots, both boats WILL need repairs eventually. I just wanted to make sure you know my shade is strictly all in good fun, and never meant as harmful. Internet text can be easily misconstrued. There is certainly lots of room in the Max. My friend has one, and it's a dance floor! A waterbed feeling dance floor.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:57 PM   #18
Pinstriper
Chromer

Might be worth seeing how much Clacka wants to go over it and make all the repairs, plus how long you’d have to wait.

Doing your own fiberglass work is....not always as fun as it sounds, DAMHIK

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pinstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:46 PM   #19
bobbinalong
Cutthroat

Both of those spots are only cosmetic. The hull is over 1/2" thick in that area and you are no where close to having anything to worry about. If it really bothers you then call Jake or Roger at Clacka and they can help you out. BTW if it was a metal boat you would have a nice sized dent that would not be so easy to fix!
bobbinalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #20
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Very capable boats, indeed. Whether you have to re epoxy, or weld bad spots, both boats WILL need repairs eventually. I just wanted to make sure you know my shade is strictly all in good fun, and never meant as harmful. Internet text can be easily misconstrued. There is certainly lots of room in the Max. My friend has one, and it's a dance floor! A waterbed feeling dance floor.
It's the guys like you in those water bells scaring all the fish and putting them down as you clang your way down from rock to rock.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #21
PnwChrome
Steelhead

I've owned both aluminum (willie) and Clack give me a clack anytime ... but that's just a preference both are very good boats. I just like the handle on a clack better.
PnwChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:09 PM   #22
carybaker
Steelhead

Buy some epoxy, doesn’t matter what kind, epoxy is epoxy, fill the wound up and smooth it out if you care about looks. I wouldn’t paint it because your just going to hit it in the same spot if you actually use it very much.
carybaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #23
Whethole
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G Baldi View Post
It's the guys like you in those water bells scaring all the fish and putting them down as you clang your way down from rock to rock.
In order to play river plinko, you gotta suck on the sticks. That ain't I. Come take a ride and see. I'll even borrow your tutu.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #24
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
In order to play river plinko, you gotta suck on the sticks. That ain't I. Come take a ride and see. I'll even borrow your tutu.
Nope. I prefer woodies. And yes, I did suck on the sticks, so I hung a 8 HP long shaft on the back to get around.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:58 PM   #25
Whethole
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G Baldi View Post
Nope. I prefer woodies. And yes, I did suck on the sticks, so I hung a 8 HP long shaft on the back to get around.
Really, theres nothing better, or prettier, than a woodie. Until it's time for the periodic maintenance.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #26
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Really, theres nothing better, or prettier, than a woodie. Until it's time for the periodic maintenance.
They do take a little maintenance, but worth it in my book for a river boat.

Back to the Clack, those dings don't look like the structure is damaged. At least I don't see it in the pics. The risk is getting water siphoned between the gel coat and glass and then freezing, creating a blow. If it were mine I'd get a jar of marine Tek expoxy and putty it up after a good cleaning.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:04 PM   #27
Guthooker
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt MoMos View Post
I believe that has a lifetime warranty on that area if it’s leaking. I would call and talk to Jake, maybe send him the pictures to see what he thinks.

lifetime guarantee to the original owner only. I traded for a brand new never been in the water flawless condition not a scratch in it claka and thought the lifetime warranty went with it ,but I was technically the second owner. they wanted me to give them something like 300 dollar transfer fee which is complete B.S. in my opinion.

love my claka but that sure rubbed me the wrong way.

I have had a couple of chips like that and bought a gel coat kit and fixed them while it was still on the trailer. my former fishing buddy did the damages not watching where he was going, I did say former.

Last edited by Guthooker; 06-10-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Guthooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #28
shouldbehunting
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthooker View Post
lifetime guarantee to the original owner only.
I actually had it warrantied through Clackacraft so if it is a warranty issue I'm covered.

Since it does seem cosmetic I'm pretty sure I'm on the hook for the fix. We shall see.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:16 PM   #29
Huntar2
Cutthroat

The chine ding, I would fix. Bottom ding is primarily gelcoat, basically cosmetic.
When you fix the chine, you may as well fix the bottom.
If the impact on the chine had happened to a metal boat, there would be a major kink in the chine, a difficult, expensive shop fix.
Glass boats of today, especially Clacks are as tough if not tougher than aluminum. Look around on the coast and O.P. most guides have moved away from metal to glass, especially Clack.
One major benefit. Glass will never get bent concave between the floor runners like every aluminum guide boat used more than two years on a coastal river.
Huntar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:00 AM   #30
Halle the Hound
Tuna!

I have done way more fiberglass repair than I care to admit, in over thirty years of working for a trucking company, RV dealership and body shop.

The ding in the first pic is more than a gelcoat repair to fix properly. I can't tell in pic #2, without closer inspection. When fiberglass is hit and damaged, little veins feather out and will eventually suck up water and dirt in those veins. The water will dry out, but the dirt will stay, leaving you with a much larger area to repair properly. Just adding gelcoat will not properly fix this damage. I would try to repair these areas sooner than later if it were me.
Halle the Hound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #31
shouldbehunting
Chromer

Quick Update: Talked to the Clack store and they said to just get some Marine Tek epoxy and take care of it. Said it's just the gelcoat. I agree as there doesn't seem to be any damage to the underlying fiberglass. They said dings like that are pretty common and most people just take care of it themselves. I'll be getting myself some Marine Tek epoxy and fix it this week.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #32
Herm
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnwChrome View Post
I've owned both aluminum (willie) and Clack give me a clack anytime ... but that's just a preference both are very good boats. I just like the handle on a clack better.
And the boat doesn't get scorching hot in the sun. I can't put any part of my body on the metal of my Willie when it's hot out. I'm selling it mainly for that reason.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #33
Grant Scheele
Ifish Nate

Quote:
I can play too. I dare you to follow me down the North Santiam this weekend. I have owned Willie Boats and I love them but a metal boat on low water conditions has nothing to do with ones skill on the sticks. That was a funny statement. lol

I have some similar dings in my boat but unlike a metal boat, mine are not permanent.
Grant Scheele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:00 PM   #34
Guthooker
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herm View Post
And the boat doesn't get scorching hot in the sun. I can't put any part of my body on the metal of my Willie when it's hot out. I'm selling it mainly for that reason.
On the flip side of that they are freezing in the winter, after owning a willie boat and a claka it's claka all the way. fixing a little gelcoat now and then is a small price to pay for all the benefits.
Guthooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:07 PM   #35
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Quick Update: Talked to the Clack store and they said to just get some Marine Tek epoxy and take care of it. Said it's just the gelcoat. I agree as there doesn't seem to be any damage to the underlying fiberglass. They said dings like that are pretty common and most people just take care of it themselves. I'll be getting myself some Marine Tek epoxy and fix it this week.
Easy to use, just follow the directions on mixing. Too little catalyst and it will never fully set up. Putty it in, let is set then clean up with some 300 grit and follow with 600 wet if you want it to look pretty.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:14 PM   #36
Halle the Hound
Tuna!

I had a Clackacraft Coastal Drifter pram with lots of those kind of dings. The problem was they always leaked. The bottom and sides probably weren't as thick as your boat and it was a very fun pram to float with in in low summer water, but I got really tired of repairing fiberglass every year and finally sold it. If I ever get another one it will be a Koffler.

I must say I am not too impressed with Clackacraft's response to your question. Next time I ding my Willie, (Did I just say that?) maybe I should just slap some JB Weld on it.
Halle the Hound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #37
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
Your disdain for fiberglass boats has been well documented, in previous posts of Clackacraft topics that I've researched. After floating the lower Wilson in low water yesterday I was amazed at how low of flow I can float through without getting stuck. Looking forward to many more years of enjoyment. I'm very happy with my purchase so far!
Whethole wears pink sox.
And is threatening us with wearing a tutu of the same color.
He's an ok guy, so don't take offense when his sense of humor digs at ya.
But try not to stare at him. He's actually very sensitive.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:29 PM   #38
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Scheele View Post
I can play too. I dare you to follow me down the North Santiam this weekend. I have owned Willie Boats and I love them but a metal boat on low water conditions has nothing to do with ones skill on the sticks. That was a funny statement. lol

I have some similar dings in my boat but unlike a metal boat, mine are not permanent.
Doing the upper North Santiam Grant?
Or the whole thing? Packsaddle to Jefferson?
Old 06-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #39
Whethole
Sturgeon

Grant, I'm good man. The N. Santiam scares the bejesus out of me. I wont run it. Besides, there isnt any fish around to warrant summer floats this year. I guess I got golf to play, instead. Heres to hoping for better returns next year.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #40
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
Grant, I'm good man. The N. Santiam scares the bejesus out of me. I wont run it. Besides, there isnt any fish around to warrant summer floats this year. I guess I got golf to play, instead. Heres to hoping for better returns next year.
FORE!
Old 06-11-2019, 05:57 PM   #41
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
Smart man! The North Santiam or ANY river otta scare ya.
The North is just a bit rowdier than most of the coastal streams.
And yes. It can kill ya. Just like the big pond can.
Maybe hitch a ride with Grant?
Old 06-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #42
Grant Scheele
Ifish Nate

Quote:

Fair enough. And for the record I appreciate your sense of humor. I just feel the need to defend the banana split boat crowd. This last week has been a tough one on my boat but the boat itself has made it so I could make a living.

This is not an official statement but my understanding of "Fear No Rocks" Actually means "Fear No Rocks #becausewecanmakeitlookbrandnewlikeaCorvette" lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3941.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	724879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3940.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	724881  
Grant Scheele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:06 AM   #43
Whethole
Sturgeon

Nice on the springers, Grant. Glad you're able to put some money in the bank during the hard times. And yes, all my back n forth is all in good banter. More people need to have that banter skill. Like I said before, as long as the boat you own does the job and works well for you, that's all that matters. Both have good and bad qualities. Both make noise, both still get you a chance to catch some fish, both do the job, both provide the best boating experience, IMO. Nothing like rowing down our beautiful rivers with grace and peacefulness.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #44
marys netter
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinalong View Post
Both of those spots are only cosmetic. The hull is over 1/2" thick in that area and you are no where close to having anything to worry about. If it really bothers you then call Jake or Roger at Clacka and they can help you out. BTW if it was a metal boat you would have a nice sized dent that would not be so easy to fix!
Spoken like a man who has wisdom and has/had glass drift boats, Me I've had 2 Eastsides and 2 Lavros built by Andre and Bob in Duvall Wn.
Don't know of tougher boats went down the Colo.,the Salmon ,the Toutle All the Peninsula rivers,the Deschutes, all the Wind, the Coweeman, the Lewis from Sunset to Lucia and Lucia to Daybreak and more I can't remember, those Dings were not even considered! Dave
marys netter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:38 PM   #45
Fishfeet
King Salmon

I'll stick to the wooden boats.
At least if you crash, you have a chunk to hang onto for flotation.