Sandy River Delta - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 07:01 AM   #1
jack3m
Tuna!

Default Sandy River Delta

Well now with the yearly high water event all the trash, syringes, sewage, etc., are flowing out into the main Columbia from the (now flooded) Sandy River Delta. Happens every year, this year media mentions it. Finally,

No entity seems to know or be willing to claim responsibility/ownership. The place is a den of drugs, homeless, trash, needles, sewage, and blue tarps. Any ideas how, at least the trash flowing into the river, can be stopped?

Is this even worth discussing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2019, 11:19 AM   #2
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Default Re: Sandy River Delta

Turn it into a parking lot?
Old 04-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
Smj
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack3m View Post
Well now with the yearly high water event all the trash, syringes, sewage, etc., are flowing out into the main Columbia from the (now flooded) Sandy River Delta. Happens every year, this year media mentions it. Finally,

No entity seems to know or be willing to claim responsibility/ownership. The place is a den of drugs, homeless, trash, needles, sewage, and blue tarps. Any ideas how, at least the trash flowing into the river, can be stopped?

Is this even worth discussing?
There's been times I've used the freeway on ramp there a there have been a couple of times that 5-6 police cars have been parked on the side. I figured they were probably doing a monthly "Rout" out there in the brush.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #4
fishinman
Tuna!

It all flows into the ocean, it cleans itself.
I’m kidding I’m kidding. I have stopped there myself and watch my steps and keep the dog close. I would hate to step on a syringe or something nasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2019, 07:53 PM   #5
Wreckless
King Salmon

How many syringes washed down the Willemette & Columbia in the last week? Is any beach EVER going to be safe again? Those needles won't rust away. What we are doing to our rivers & oceans (the planet) is wrong on so many levels.

The pathetic part is Oregon's "leadership" will do NOTHING to help.....NOTHING!

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Old 04-13-2019, 08:48 PM   #6
slinger
Steelhead

Alright then fellas, support groups and politicians that commit money and policy to fixing income inequality and substance abuse. That's the only real long term solution.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2019, 06:25 AM   #7
sprigdog
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger View Post
Alright then fellas, support groups and politicians that commit money and policy to fixing income inequality and substance abuse. That's the only real long term solution.

Funny. That is the rallying cry for everyone who has been elected in the Valley and PDX area for years.
See where that gets you?
Old 04-14-2019, 06:27 AM   #8
Buccaneer
Tuna!

Quote:

I don't make a lot of money, but "fixing income inequality" means literally taking money from people that EARNED it and giving it to others that DIDN'T earn it. That isn't going to fix anything. It's amazing people still believe in the failed welfare system. How long has it been going on? And it hasn't improved, it is just perpetuated.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:36 AM   #9
slinger
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
Funny. That is the rallying cry for everyone who has been elected in the Valley and PDX area for years.

See where that gets you?
Maybe because it's a systemic national problem? What's your response to the trash and drug use? Toss em all in jail! That'll work!

Old 04-14-2019, 06:49 AM   #10
sprigdog
Chromer

You can’t help people who don’t want to be helped.
There is no short term fix for opioid addiction.
We need to stop over prescribing pain meds, get smarter and tougher about stopping it coming in to the country and make sentencing guide lines for trafficking on par with murder.
I can assure you enabling and condoning it will not make the problem go away.

You can fool yourself all you want, but electing the same people will not solve this problem.
The mere fact that the same people who have been elected the past 30 years are advocates of the very things you mention. Problem has gotten worse, not better.
What’s that old saying of the definition of insanity?
Well, insanity runs rampant in the rose city area.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:39 AM   #11
Bladdershy
Chromer

Quote:
There is no short term fix for opioid addiction.
We need to stop over prescribing pain meds, get smarter and tougher about stopping it coming in to the country and make sentencing guide lines for trafficking on par with murder.
I can assure you enabling and condoning it will not make the problem go away.

You can fool yourself all you want, but electing the same people will not solve this problem.
The mere fact that the same people who have been elected the past 30 years are advocates of the very things you mention. Problem has gotten worse, not better.
What’s that old saying of the definition of insanity?
Well, insanity runs rampant in the rose city area.

The funny thing is that the traffickers are the users... so we should jail the users?? Uhhhhhhhh, we can’t even afford to jail real criminals...
As soon as taxpayers want to start forking over $$ for jails, I’m all for your logic.... but we all know in this snowflake state that ain’t gunna happen

Last edited by Bladdershy; 04-14-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:08 AM   #12
Bobber Downey Jr.
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I don't make a lot of money, but "fixing income inequality" means literally taking money from people that EARNED it and giving it to others that DIDN'T earn it. That isn't going to fix anything. It's amazing people still believe in the failed welfare system. How long has it been going on? And it hasn't improved, it is just perpetuated.
that's not at all what it means.

Back when this country had a strong and growing middle class, the top earners weren't making 300-400x their average employee like they are now. The top marginal tax rates were much, much higher. We're not talking about people making hundreds of thousands or even a few million per year. We're talking about the ones that eclipse those numbers at the expense of the workers they employ. Has nothing to do with taking from one to "give" to another. It's getting the system back to where those of us who work hard for a paycheck are compensated fairly. There has been a shifting baseline since the early 80s that has really skewed peoples' view on what fair compensation for the average worker is supposed to look like.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:18 AM   #13
sprigdog
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladdershy View Post

The funny thing is that the traffickers are the users... so we should jail the users?? Uhhhhhhhh, we can’t even afford to jail real criminals...
As soon as taxpayers want to start forking over $$ for jails, I’m all for your logic.... but we all know in this snowflake state that ain’t gunna happen
Interesting. I didn’t realize all those people shooting up under the bridges are the ones bringing it across the border and driving truckloads up I-5. 70k people a year are killed by drug overdose. More than gun deaths, traffic accidents etc.

The people who are concerned about wage disparity and drug addiction are only saying that to get elected, otherwise Portland would be cured of both. I don’t live within 100 miles of Portland but every dang political add I see on TV has candidates assuring us they will solve the problem.
Just as you pointed out in your first post.
My question that you still haven’t answered is: How’s that working out?

My opinion is you need a complete regime change to possibly fix the problem. Which will never ever happen in Portland. Hence, my prediction is Portland will continue to spiral downhill and within 20 years will be leading the pack in the nation in crime per capita.

Now, ask yourself, how many homeless people in Portland are actually from Portland and are homeless due to wage disparity and getting kicked out of their house in Portland due to not making enough money to pay rent?

I’m sort of in tune with the Portland mess. One of my kids does all kinds of volunteer work with the homeless in PDX. Good portion come to Portland already addicted and chose Portland due to the zero enforcement of drug/squatting laws and Portland people with money love to think they are helping by handing out money left and right.

Yep. Keep electing them.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:29 AM   #14
Vinogradovo
Cutthroat

Don’t blame the problems we’ve got in the society for any political party. It’s solely on the people themselves. It was the problem since beginning of times. Just read what the Bible said:

“For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.”
**Romans‬ *1:18-32‬ *KJV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/1/rom.1.18-32.kjv

Old 04-15-2019, 04:38 AM   #15
jack3m
Tuna!

Quote:
This is one of the most truthful statements of all of this thread. We can make laws. We can throw drug users in jail. We can "close" the area to use. It boils down to: We really cannot do anything to change this.

Until those folks decide to move on, it will continue.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:36 AM   #16
Artwo
King Salmon

We use to hike down river in the spring to what use to be the pilling hole and float bobber/eggs for springers years ago. Even back then there were a few transient camps along the trail, not many, but never an issue. Today, from what I've seen and what's been in the news about that area, I wouldn't even consider making that same hike today...............very unfortunate.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #17
GDuck
Tuna!

Well the 9th circuit just made it virtually impossible to get rid of these people from public property https://www.opb.org/news/article/hom...ruling-impact/

These degenerates that have infested our area aren't your neighbors that got laid off from their job or your friends down on their luck, the majority aren't even from here. They aren't getting their 3 squares out of a dumpster. They suck our local food bank dry and take advantage of any "free stuff" they can find. They don't want to work and are a product of a welfare state that makes it easier for them to sit in their broken down RV or ratty tent getting a disability check than make something of themselves. "Income inequality" lol. These types aren't working because some fat cat is making bank while they cut everyone's pensions....they aren't working because voters pay them not to work. I quit counting the times I had to move for work and have been working full time since the death of a family member forced me to at the age of 15, retired and still working. Lazy always finds a way and it finds it paid for right here in Oregon and Washington (and the 9th circuit) in the form of tolerance. Staying in Oregon is no longer an option for me for many reasons not the least of which is paying outrageous taxes and getting nothing for it.... Wherever we end up these types won't like the climate or what lurks at night.

As for the Sandy, we used to shoot there decades ago when it was wide open before all those trash trees showed up. Log it off, clear it out, turn it into one big "waterfowl habitat" area full of water and skeeters. Short of that, the 9th circuit says you're out of luck.

gd
Old 04-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #18
garyk
King Salmon

After 30 years, we oughta be seeing the benefits of Reaganomics any day now

"Our best hatcheries, our most resilient, efficient and lasting hatcheries are in fact healthy rivers."

"Keep Public Lands Public - Now and Forever"
Old 04-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #19
dirtman
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
I thought there were rules on this site against partisan bickering.

Lets bring this back to the true and only solution...Mt Hood eruption lahar.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:05 PM   #20
Buccaneer
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Uh...one doesn't benefit from the economy, if one doesn't work.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:49 PM   #21
uhmw
King Salmon

Quote:

Billy club diplomacy needs to make a come back
Old 04-15-2019, 04:37 PM   #22
TheRogue
King Salmon

If a human chooses to live like an animal.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A feral horse is a free-roaming horse of domesticated ancestry. As such, a feral horse is not a wild animal in the sense of an animal without domesticated ancestors.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:40 PM   #23
Vinogradovo
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRogue View Post
If a human chooses to live like an animal.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Even worse. Animals don’t do drugs.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:44 PM   #24
Isabella's Human
Chromer

Need some wild predators maybe a few cougars or T-REX
Closed Thread