Summer Steelhead - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 04-04-2019, 02:48 AM   #1
FishOnShawn
Ifish Nate

Default Summer Steelhead

Summer steelhead are on the way! I've been looking at the numbers closely the last couple weeks...comparing numbers to past years it looks like it's on track to be a good year. Obviously that could change but it's looking optimistic. I may head out next week and see if I can get one. Earliest I've gotten one is April 12th and April 18th the year before that so theres a chance.

Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 02:59 AM   #2
Tynmon
Steelhead

Some of those "summer' steelhead counted at Willamette Falls could be clipped winters that are coming back to Willamette Hatchery since Siuslaw winters are raised there...
Tynmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:14 AM   #3
cully
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Summer Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynmon View Post
Some of those "summer' steelhead counted at Willamette Falls could be clipped winters that are coming back to Willamette Hatchery since Siuslaw winters are raised there...
Tynmon, you're either stayed up to late or got up to early. Or, maybe i did. With foggy eyes as I read your post I don't see how a Siuslaw fish becomes a Willamette fish unless it's a stray that's lost it's way. Am i missing something?

Old 04-04-2019, 04:25 AM   #4
Aton
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynmon View Post

Perhaps the spawn stock came from a Slaw fish. But if you are born and raised somewhere, I think that means you are a Willamette fish. Unless you are suggesting that they released live adults from the Siuslaw up at Dexter?
Aton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #5
pugbuddy
Steelhead

2/24 in the year 2012

pugbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:34 AM   #6
Whethole
Sturgeon

I too have been seeing these numbers recently and I am getting excited for the upcoming season. I have been getting into some winter unicorns over the last couple of weeks as we've been trying for those early "Siuslaw" fish. Let's hope for a great season, fellers!
Old 04-04-2019, 09:01 AM   #7
AlseaAssassin
Sturgeon

They're here....

AlseaAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:31 AM   #8
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlseaAssassin View Post
They're here....

Beauty!

Need
Old 04-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #9
FishOnShawn
Ifish Nate

Quote:
They're here....

Oh man that's a nice fish!!!
Old 04-04-2019, 12:00 PM   #10
Guthooker
Sturgeon

Quote:
They're here....

how do you know thats a summer fish ?
Guthooker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #11
FishOnShawn
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthooker View Post
how do you know thats a summer fish ?
Since he posted they're here I'm assuming it's a river that only gets a run of hatchery summer fish and winters are nstives or if it is a river that gets both hatchery summers and winters then the eggs/milt sacks were underdeveloped.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:46 PM   #12
Snapt
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOnShawn View Post
Since he posted they're here I'm assuming it's a river that only gets a run of hatchery summer fish and winters are nstives or if it is a river that gets both hatchery summers and winters then the eggs/milt sacks were underdeveloped.
Correct, it is a river that has a hatchery summer run.
Snapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:48 PM   #13
Aton
Steelhead

Talking Re: Summer Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOnShawn View Post
It could be a clipped Slaw winter on it's way up a Willy trib
Old 04-04-2019, 01:00 PM   #14
Guthooker
Sturgeon

If he is on the Willamette and the picture back drop does look like a larger river,I do know of winter fish that run all the way up, spawn sack would be a dead giveaway though as suggested. Just seems early , not that I'm complaining .
Old 04-04-2019, 01:12 PM   #15
stlhdrgrn
Sturgeon

Summer steelhead have been around for a few weeks.
I saw a nice 10 lb. one caught about three weeks ago.
Most summers are max clipped as well as adipose. And 6 inch long eggs sacks are a giveaway.
stlhdrgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:35 PM   #16
Artwo
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlhdrgrn View Post
Summer steelhead have been around for a few weeks.
I saw a nice 10 lb. one caught about three weeks ago.
Most summers are max clipped as well as adipose. And 6 inch long eggs sacks are a giveaway.
......I can corroborate that as well, I personally know the guy who caught it.
Artwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:40 PM   #17
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
If he is on the Willamette and the picture back drop does look like a larger river,I do know of winter fish that run all the way up, spawn sack would be a dead giveaway though as suggested. Just seems early , not that I'm complaining .
not early for a few here and there. a few years ago I got one Feb 28th, caught several in march, and I will get my first sometime this month every year.... still few and far between, but it's good motivation to catch a bunch of fish to tip the odds in my favor statistically

that one pictured above is not only awesome being a summer, but a pig too!
roosevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #18
Whethole
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aton View Post
It could be a clipped Slaw winter on it's way up a Willy trib

Them pesky strays, eh?

I believe the person holding that gorgeous fish knows what hes got. I've caught summer fish this early before in the willy tribs. If that was a winter fish, I'd would most likely be a bit more colored up, like the 5 we have caught were over the last few weeks. Time to spend even more time on the rivers, apparently.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #19
Aton
Steelhead

Quote:

Well he just posted that fish yesterday on the Winter steelhead thread and said it was a Skamania fish. So my guess is Washougal river. DID I WIN?
Old 04-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #20
Aton
Steelhead

And an absolute Brute of a summer fish, I'd love to see those fillets
Old 04-04-2019, 09:19 PM   #21
GoChromeOrGoHome
Steelhead

The max clip is a dead giveaway. Guessing it was caught on the clack. Nice fish!!
GoChromeOrGoHome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:17 PM   #22
Aton
Steelhead

Washington fish in Clackamas River, Siusilaw fish in Willamette River. This is like dogs sleeping with cats around here.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:26 PM   #23
Whethole
Sturgeon

Quote:
Washington fish in Clackamas River, Siusilaw fish in Willamette River. This is like dogs sleeping with cats around here.
iFish, the next generation.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:29 AM   #24
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I’ve seen chrome kelts with next year’s eggs in them.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:51 AM   #25
AlseaAssassin
Sturgeon

ADRM = Skamania Summer in the Clack. Jumped a 1/2 dozen times and battled for a good ten minutes. One of the most memorable steelhead fights I've ever been privileged to be a part of. We rowed back and forth across the run a good four times. I'm not sure if the fish or I was more tired by the end.

37" X 18"
Old 04-05-2019, 08:27 AM   #26
Aton
Steelhead

Well you guys sent me on a late night fishing expedition on the internet until I could figure out how bacon, sausage and ham could possibly come from the same animal. So I'm going to share the link I found that shed the most light. https://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/hgmp/final.asp
I'll summarize (for the others that may be as confused as me)as best as I can my nearly four hours of reading. And (somebody) correct the portions that I get wrong. Skamania "stock" is the origin of the summer fish in the Willamette river District (which includes Sandy river). Skamania provides none of the eggs or smolts currently being raised in Willamette District. All of these fish are incubated at the South Santiam Hatchery. Then they are distributed to the other district hatcheries for rearing and eventual release. So I guess what I want to know is, is the fish in question not actually a "South Santiam Fish"? I'm just trying to figure it out?

EDIT: If Skamania is what we are supposed to call them then I will try to add it to my repertoire

Last edited by Aton; 04-05-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:37 AM   #27
DogZilla15
King Salmon

They become the fish of the water they were released in. This is do to imprinting. They begin imprinting from the time they leave the egg. Skamania fish imprint on the Skamania if that’s where they were released or if they are of natural origin in that stream. The ability to imprint is genetic. What they imprint on is based on the environment where they live(ed).
Old 04-05-2019, 09:03 AM   #28
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
I’ve seen chrome kelts with next year’s eggs in them.
My understanding is that kelts are steelhead that have spawned and are heading back to the ocean in hopes of repeating the cycle. They don't brighten up until they hit the salt. Do you think the ones you have seen have already been to the ocean and are making their way up the river? Isnt it way less than 1 percent of kelts even make the journey?
Old 04-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #29
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Hntnfsh: Hens will begin to brighten soon after spawning. As you probably know, they don’t get nearly as dark as bucks anyhow. Their white meat pretty much tells us what they are.

Mike T. I’m from the wrong state. My bad. The message remains the same.

Just to show us how mixed up some fish are, I’ve seen steelhead spawning in June on the Wilson. The fact they were wild fish tells us there is a lot of genetic diversity and fish do get lost. What seems odd is that it takes two fish to spawn and how these two ended up with each other that time of year is a big mystery. It’s like they found each other long before entering the river.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #30
shanesteel
Fry

I caught a chambers creek post-spawn hen in late February and the meat was good and very red. Strange.
shanesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:37 AM   #31
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Hntnfsh: Hens will begin to brighten soon after spawning. As you probably know, they don’t get nearly as dark as bucks anyhow. Their white meat pretty much tells us what they are.

Mike T. I’m from the wrong state. My bad. The message remains the same.

Just to show us how mixed up some fish are, I’ve seen steelhead spawning in June on the Wilson. The fact they were wild fish tells us there is a lot of genetic diversity and fish do get lost. What seems odd is that it takes two fish to spawn and how these two ended up with each other that time of year is a big mystery. It’s like they found each other long before entering the river.
a few years ago I caught a summer run kelt in March, and I have caught my first fresh summer in Feb.... that's kinda crazy to think about
Old 04-05-2019, 11:58 AM   #32
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Roosevelt: I suppose all those kelts that are caught in December are summers. People think they are winters simply because it’s winter. I don’t know the spawning times for the different coastal streams but in the Wilson, it was the week of Thanksgiving. This was years ago, don’t know when it is now and I forget the egg/hatchery origin of those first smolt plants. They aren’t the same fish they plant these days and I don’t know where they plant them. Things have changed and not for the good.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:39 PM   #33
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Roosevelt: I suppose all those kelts that are caught in December are summers. People think they are winters simply because it’s winter. I don’t know the spawning times for the different coastal streams but in the Wilson, it was the week of Thanksgiving. This was years ago, don’t know when it is now and I forget the egg/hatchery origin of those first smolt plants. They aren’t the same fish they plant these days and I don’t know where they plant them. Things have changed and not for the good.
I would say that time frame is still fairly accurate for my haunts, though I regularly catch summers that had not yet spawned around Christmas and early Jan. I used to love fishing the upper stretches of rivers around Christmas for a mix of late summers and early winters. bites were always easy to come by.

I know I have a pic of my sis in law of her first steelhead a couple years ago, it was the last week of Jan, and she's holding a summer hen that was still carrying her eggs.

the summer kelt I caught in late march was a buck, maybe he just hung out in the river after he spawned rather than heading straight back out. he was fairly small too, like a 4lb fish.... that was on the nestucca.

maybe it was just a late Siuslaw winter that swam up the Willamette and burned all of his fat by the time he made it back down the willy, down the coast, and up the nestucca, haha.... maybe his cheeks weren't rosy, he was just embarrassed.

Last edited by roosevelt; 04-05-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:57 PM   #34
AlseaAssassin
Sturgeon

Quote:
And an absolute Brute of a summer fish, I'd love to see those fillets

Old 04-05-2019, 10:22 PM   #35
Tynmon
Steelhead

According to the HGMP booth Roaring Springs and Willamette hatcheries are used to rear Suislaw hatchery winter Steelhead.
Tynmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:10 AM   #36
Aton
Steelhead

Quote:

When you have as much or more meat than some of the springers caught thus far. Winning.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #37
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
When you have as much or more meat than some of the springers caught thus far. Winning.
especially when the whole dorsal ridge is solid fat both summers and springers are different on the table, but only in flavor and texture... but in my opinion, the quality is the same, and the enjoyment of the meals.

I would take a 16lb summer over a 14lb springer, or the other way around... and would have a tough time deciding if it was equal of each.

I will say, a fresh coastal summer steelhead is slightly better than a fresh coastal springer (in fat content) but a valley springer, or rogue springer is better than a coastal summer.

those upriver Columbia summer steelhead are very hard to beat.... I guess the theme is, they are all amazing, and I cannot wait for my first plate full of summer or springer belly meat, gorging myself to nausea...
Old 04-06-2019, 09:04 PM   #38
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Agree with Roosevelt on every count. But, the valley Springer and Rogue springer comparison sort of contradicts his first sentence. The coast springer comes in last for the fish mentioned. The best coast springer I've caught was a small fish out of the Trask in early May.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:13 PM   #39
roosevelt
King Salmon

those rogue fish have a long journey like the valley fish, and put normal coast springers to shame (in terms of eating) I still love our coast springers, because it's all relative... they eat better than the rest of the season's kings.

those rogue fish also arrive early.... there are always a handful in Feb caught.... though they blend into summer kings, just like on the big river
Old 04-07-2019, 06:20 AM   #40
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Yea, those long rivers put out the best fish. I got one out of the Wilson that was terrible eating in June. I have gotten tired of eating springers but never Summer Steelhead. The eat till you puke thing isn't far off.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:30 AM   #41
FishOnShawn
Ifish Nate

Looks like this high water stopped them. Or they just cant see them as they go through? I wonder how many fish are going to get stuck in fields and in ditches as the water recedes.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:58 AM   #42
DogZilla15
King Salmon

FOS: Fish can only scale the falls/ladder when the water is at a certain height. I know in the old days it had to be quite low. That's why fish stack up below the falls, they are just waiting.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:37 AM   #43
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
FOS: Fish can only scale the falls/ladder when the water is at a certain height. I know in the old days it had to be quite low. That's why fish stack up below the falls, they are just waiting.
So are the fur baglets.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:30 AM   #44
Santiam338
Sturgeon

First summer in the boat... 3 1/2 inch maglips with single siwash hooks...The back one was in the side of his jaw but he rolled in the line and got the front hook in behind the gill plate which gave him some leverage... Was starting to wonder..LOL

Old 05-02-2019, 06:40 AM   #45
Whethole
Sturgeon

Nice going, Santiam! Let the summer fever BEGIN!
Old 05-02-2019, 09:37 AM   #46
adamg
Steelhead

I usually start getting into summers the first week of April, but this year we had a new baby. Finally got out yesterday for a float and was hoping there'd be some around but skunked for a full days effort
adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #47
shanesteel
Fry

Do you do much different for May summers than you would in late June?
shanesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:29 AM   #48
Whethole
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanesteel View Post
Do you do much different for May summers than you would in late June?
I dont know about Santiam, but I do things slightly different from spring and early summer. Due to water clarity, my line gets smaller, and my presentations get slightly smaller.

DAMN YOU santiam! Now I'm dying to get out on the water!

Adamg, a HUGE CONGRATS to you on the new baby! How cool!

Last edited by Whethole; 05-02-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Whethole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:47 AM   #49
adamg
Steelhead

Thanks, Whethole!

May is my favorite time because its nice out but not too hot, the rivers arent flooded with rafters, and the water is not too warm so the fresh summers are super aggressive and hungry for coon shrimp. Once the rivers bottom out I size down, too, jigs and spinners, less bait.
adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:54 AM   #50
Fishfeet
King Salmon

North Santiam looks pretty low at the moment.
Can't remember my favorite height to fish it though. It's been too many years since I hit it.
Seemed like around 6 ft at Mehama was optimal, but like I said. It's been a while.
Nice bright fishy there 338.
Is it just me? Or do the smaller hens seem to fight a hekova lot harder than the larger bucks, during the summer?
Old 05-02-2019, 12:24 PM   #51
roosevelt
King Salmon

well done Bill!! you know what goes good with fresh summer steelhead?

a big ol' bear!
Old 05-02-2019, 01:13 PM   #52
FishOnShawn
Ifish Nate

Nice job Santiam. The wife and I went up Monday and fished for a few hours. Just got a few smolt but I know theres a few fish around. River is still kind of silty but starting to clear up. Wild how much that high water event changed the river bank. Going to get crowded this summer with less bank to fish from.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:46 PM   #53
Guthooker
Sturgeon

Very Niice !!
Old 05-02-2019, 06:37 PM   #54
Aton
Steelhead

"Maybe their just tough this year" Lets hope that quote ages well.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:03 PM   #55
fisherman_rick
Steelhead

LOL @ 30 seconds in: "Finally, a fish!". You speak for all of us, Santiam.
fisherman_rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:36 AM   #56
pugbuddy
Steelhead

Plunked in Newberg pool on Prawn. 11lb - 33" bout time.
pugbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:22 PM   #57
FishOnShawn
Ifish Nate

That's a good solid lookin fish right there pugbuddy.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #58
roosevelt
King Salmon

sweet! nice fish pugbuddy!

I had some excitement today.... I was making a springer scouting trip (which was a failure) and decided to toss a spinner around hoping to find a summer run.... very first cast at the second spot I fished (after fishing a couple baits on my chinook bobber rod) and the spinner just starts getting downstream of me and one eats my spinner! I lift into headshakes and a bright steelhead goes airborn…. now all I have to do is keep it pinned.... I felt good about it, just put fresh owner siwash hooks on all of my hardware last night, so I had a new needle sharp hook.... fish jumps a few more times, races around, hard to keep up with, and it's not all swollen bellied like a winter.... now I just want to land it, get it close and see it's hooked good, then it rolls out in front of me and the color doesn't look right..... seriously??!! that was the MOST exciting kelt I have ever caught!! downstream hatchery hen winter that was very bright (not uncommon for kelts) and there was a lot of glare on the water, and it looked like a summer to me when it was jumping around and pulling like crazy.... once it flashed in front of me I recognized it for what it was, and the fight got a lot less stressful I can't say I have ever been fooled by a kelt, ESPECIALLY not thinking a kelt was a fresh summer run.... I was overly optimistic I guess, and that was one feisty downstreamer, haha

usually I have a couple summers by now, but I haven't been fishing as much as I normally do either.... next week i'll be eating fresh summer or springer.

Last edited by roosevelt; 05-03-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:40 PM   #59
Santiam338
Sturgeon

Those are some dandies... Congrats guys...

No love for us tonight...

Old 05-05-2019, 12:02 AM   #60
Zane-O
Coho

Quote:
"Maybe their just tough this year" Lets hope that quote ages well.
words of wisdom!
Zane-O is offline   Reply With Quote