Boarded by the Coast Guard - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 03-31-2019, 06:45 AM   #1
cntrydude
Steelhead

Default Boarded by the Coast Guard

At the dock yesterday the coasties were boarding and checking boats. That's fine, been there before. I was asked if any weapons on board or my person. Yes, right here (legally concealed)on my hip. "Very good sir, I need to take possession of the gun during the boarding", me hesitating.....ok and start to hand it to him, "No, I'll take it from you". At the end of the boarding, officer then takes my gun from his pouch and asks if there is a round in the chamber, I say "of course, doesn't do much good if there isn't", he removes the clip and then fumbles with the slide to remove the shell in the chamber. Hands me back the three pieces and tells me to keep them separate until they're finished. Then watches me in the cabin (he was on the dock) to make sure I didn't re-load the gun.
Turning over my legally carried gun (I get it, at the time they didn't know that) sticks in my craw but is understandable. Unloading my gun and telling me to keep it unloaded after establishing my identity really bothers me.
What would they do if there were four of us on a pitching ocean and we were all carrying guns?

cntrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2019, 07:07 AM   #2
bubbleboy
Steelhead

Default Re: Boarded by the Coast Guard

Every constitutional freedom we have has a caveat. Generally reasonable restrictions are allowed. For example, free speech is fine, but not if you are shouting fire in a theatre, or inciting violence, that's different. Same thing with guns. It's reasonable, in the eyes of the federal government, to restrict your ability to carry a loaded weapon during a coast guard boarding. It's always a balancing test. Presumably, there is very little danger to you while there are several coast guardsmen around. A court would weigh your right to carry against the interest of safety (they don't know you, you could be off your meds) and your need to carry at that moment. Just the way it goes. If they boarded an entire crew of gun toters, they might just decide it's not worth the hassle, or they might follow protocol. Probably up to the guy in charge.
bubbleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:10 AM   #3
Reel fortunate
Tuna!

I may be looking at this all wrong but, why not just follow directions and move on ? I understand you obviously did, but it seems there are shootings every day (both ways) and some people (not you) have lost respect for the law.

Growing up I was taught if a policeman ask you to raise your hands reach for the sky immediately not argue not walk away but do exactly what your asked. It seems a lot of people have lost respect for our law enforcement (I'm generalizing).

I got checked at the dock by a state police officer. He asked if we had any fish and crab . We said yes and invited him aboard to check them out, which he did. We chatted a bit showed licenses . I made may complaints about the new system and what BS it was about stepping backwards with the new licensing and tags. He agreed its not great but we need to do our best and make it work. He was a hunter and fisher as well and is in the same boat as all of us. All went well for both parties. Be both Said goodbye and have a great day.

They are there to serve and protect and there job is tougher every day do to untrustable people out there who make it bad for all of us.
I had a great experaiance and the officer handled him self well.
Randy

23x84 HT, Raider Coastal
Reel fortunate is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2019, 07:37 AM   #4
Cannon
Tuna!

I have legally carried for years. I understand and respect our law enforcement officers situation.
Part of the deal when you sign up to carry concealed is that you, when asked reveal to a peace officer that you are carrying. Peace officers whether they be Coasties, State, County or city, put themselves on the line every day. It is a respect thing more than anything else! Once it has been revealed that you are packing, it becomes an obligation to protect themselves and their subordinates.
It ain’t about you, put your ego aside, be respectful and move on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Illagitimus non carborundum
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:44 AM   #5
jds10
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
I have legally carried for years. I understand and respect our law enforcement officers situation.
Part of the deal when you sign up to carry concealed is that you, when asked reveal to a peace officer that you are carrying. Peace officers whether they be Coasties, State, County or city, put themselves on the line every day. It is a respect thing more than anything else! Once it has been revealed that you are packing, it becomes an obligation to protect themselves and their subordinates.
It ain’t about you, put your ego aside, be respectful and move on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree.
jds10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:36 AM   #6
Keta
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel fortunate View Post
I may be looking at this all wrong....
Yup, you are.

The USCG can legally and constitutionally board and inspect with out a warrant but they can not deny a citizen that is behaving in a lawful manner the right to keep AND bear arms guaranteed us by the Bill of Rights.

It is always a good thing to let ALL LE know you are armed when interacting with them In the past (3 times) I emptied my shotgun and set it in a safe place out of reach where LE could see me do it when they showed up and took control of the situation. The one time a deputy said anything about it I told her to get off my property, her partner told her to set in the truck and the county Sherriff apologized to me. She is no longer with the Klamath County Sherriff Department, I think she moved back to the New Peoples Democratic Republic of Norte California where she belongs.

Last edited by Keta; 03-31-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:41 AM   #7
geterdone
Chromer

This is standard with USCG. Had it happen a few times now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2019, 08:46 AM   #8
Reel fortunate
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keta View Post
Quote:
I may be looking at this all wrong....
Yup, you are.

The USCG can legally and constitutionally board and inspect with out a warrant but they can not deny a citizen that is behaving in a lawful manner the right to keep AND bear arms guaranteed us by the Bill of Rights. It is always a good thing to let ALL LE know you are armed.
Lee but with all the stuff going on in our country why denie them of there safety?

It only takes one bad guy to change a life. Or end one . I am not saying its ok to give up our rights by any means.

just saying Comply and move on....

I realize this is my opinion and option.

23x84 HT, Raider Coastal
Old 03-31-2019, 08:49 AM   #9
Bait O Eggs
King Salmon

I have had my gun taken from my by Coast Guard also. Something about it just doesnt feel right, it may be legal but it doesnt feel right.

I asked why I was being disarmed, and I was told they are safer in possession of my gun when onboard. I told them I would feel safer if I was in possession of their guns while they were on board. That is sort of a two way street
Old 03-31-2019, 09:01 AM   #10
Keta
King Salmon

Quote:
Lee but with all the stuff going on in our country why denie them of there safety?

Not at the cost of our rights, when will it stop. Personally I rarely (never) have a firearm in a boat so it's a non issue with me but protecting our Rights is and should be everyone's concern.

I feel bad when LE gets hurt or killed, a Klamath County Deputy that I have known for several years was shot in the face 1/2 mile north of us just after I had a good chat with him a few years back. Let them know you are armed and unload if asked but do not let the government disarm you. Unfortunately in todays world if you stand your ground you will suffer.

In my life carrying a concealed firearm is a unnecessary pain in the back and I never carry a pistol concealed. Occasionally I open carry for what I am up to but I take it off when I go into stores to keep the little girls from getting upset or scared. Open carry is also a right but I feel it's kind of stupid to unnecessarily scare the gun fearing public.

This jerk (see link below) does not represent much more than 99.99999% of the USCG personnel but he was a Coasty and I would not want him disarming me or you.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/us-coast-g...ry?id=61199690

Last edited by Keta; 03-31-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:23 AM   #11
montucky
Cutthroat

Stable societies have to have strong enforcement entities. Officers are vetted, trained, and identifiable. you are an unknown quantity until they check you out. This is not a rights infringement - its common sense law enforcement. Your gun is not the thing keeping law enforcement honest and inline with the law. Rule of law and democratic action is. If you think you are safer with your gun while being inspected by law enforcement...I think you are giving to much credit to yourself and your gun, and too little to law enforcement. If we lived in the wild west where gun battles, bribes, and thievery ruled the day ....then sure. But we dont...because we live in a society based on the rule of law.

Anyway, its not like you're going to survive a gun battle with the coast guard. They'll just get out of small arms range and fire their radar guided 20mm cannon at you

Last edited by montucky; 03-31-2019 at 09:32 AM.
montucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:37 AM   #12
SlamminKokes
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait O' Eggs View Post
I have had my gun taken from my by Coast Guard also. Something about it just doesnt feel right, it may be legal but it doesnt feel right.

I asked why I was being disarmed, and I was told they are safer in possession of my gun when onboard. I told them I would feel safer if I was in possession of their guns while they were on board. That is sort of a two way street
You telling them that youd feel safer if they didnt have their guns sounds like you dont respect them or their jobs. They dont know you from Adam so it makes sense that they want to know you arent armed and a possible threat to them.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:56 AM   #13
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Cannon: You are correct about about the standard concealed carry process most go through but it does not apply to those who are permitted to carry without the official paperwork. Anyone may carry concealed who is participating in hunting or fishing or traveling to and from those activities. We have agreed to nothing as part of the permitting process.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:15 AM   #14
Streamfixer
Steelhead

The Coasties are following their standard protocols.

Put yourself in their shoes.

Some people are real asshats when it comes to dealing with authority representatives. They often resent even the simple presence of cops, USCG, the list goes on, being in the area.

If one of them are off their meds, so to speak, and decides to raise hell during a boarding, or as they are simply walking by, the Coasties are at a significant disadvantage.

They have no idea which camp you are in: A-hole or nice guy...

They are not there to violate your rights, they are there to help ensure your safety by ensuring your craft has minimum safety gear. If I were making such an inspection, not only would you surrender your weapon, you would be on the dock while the inspection was being made.

So why made a federal case out of nothing? Comply with their requests, nod and smile to the firearm handling safety recommendations (they know you are going to do what you want when they leave) and move on with your life knowing you are a little bit safer than before their visit.

StreamFixer
Streamfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:23 AM   #15
Beer Waggin
Ifish Nate

I don’t have an issue with handing my firearm over to a police officer or coast guard.
What I do have a problem with is someone from the Coast Guard or a Police Officer removing a loaded weapon from my hip. Nobody is doing that! Most of the time it’s not on my hip on the boat anyway, it’s in the console.

I’ve been checked and boarded with shotguns, rifles and pistols all present. I’ve handed shotguns over to check for plug, rifles over to make sure I didn’t have one in the pipe, but only when in hunting situations where the weapon was clearly visible. Never have I been asked to give up my pistol.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:49 AM   #16
sprigdog
Chromer

Those coasties have nothing to worry about while doing boardings.
It’s not like they’ve ever ran a name through the data base while doing the boarding and person has come back with felony warrants. Or been physically assaulted. Impossible, because everyone who owns a boat and fishes are stand up awesome dudes. In my opinion they should ask for the gun after the warrant check comes back positive or after punches are thrown. Sensible to me.
sprigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:53 AM   #17
Reel fortunate
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keta View Post
Quote:

Not at the cost of our rights, when will it stop. Personally I rarely (never) have a firearm in a boat so it's a non issue with me but protecting our Rights is and should be everyone's concern.

I feel bad when LE gets hurt or killed, a Klamath County Deputy that I have known for several years was shot in the face 1/2 mile north of us just after I had a good chat with him a few years back. Let them know you are armed and unload if asked but do not let the government disarm you. Unfortunately in todays world if you stand your ground you will suffer.

In my life carrying a concealed firearm is a unnecessary pain in the back and I never carry a pistol concealed. Occasionally I open carry for what I am up to but I take it off when I go into stores to keep the little girls from getting upset or scared. Open carry is also a right but I feel it's kind of stupid to unnecessarily scare the gun fearing public.

This jerk (see link below) does not represent much more than 99.99999% of the USCG personnel but he was a Coasty and I would not want him disarming me or you.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/us-coast-g...ry?id=61199690

I do agree Keta i do not want to see our rights compromised in any way shape or form as we get attacked on and from all sides lately. I guess I feel if it makes them comfortable then Personally i would go unarmed for the boat inspection. As far as a loaded gun being taken off of my Hip. I don't think so...... I don't think that's right at all.

Its sad trust has been loss is my biggest gripe in our country.
Randy

23x84 HT, Raider Coastal
Old 03-31-2019, 12:08 PM   #18
Big Game Fishing

Come on guys, a stranger "unholstering your weapon" might not be that bad, go with it!
Big Game Fishing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:10 PM   #19
duke1122
Chromer

Does anyone know the repercussions of lying about a weapon on board and getting found out?
duke1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:25 PM   #20
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Game Fishing View Post
Come on guys, a stranger "unholstering your weapon" might not be that bad, go with it!
I see both sides of the argument. Having someone withdraw your pistol from your holster might put a bullet in your foot and hole in the bottom of your boat. From their perspective, not knowing you from Adam and having you draw your pistol is putting them at risk if you're a bad guy. Comparing the risk and likelihood of a bad outcome, I'd have to side with the coasties on this one.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:36 PM   #21
Pipe Dream
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke1122 View Post
Does anyone know the repercussions of lying about a weapon on board and getting found out?
Generally speaking not a good idea legally to knowingly lie to a Fed LEO.

That said, when this topic come up several years ago on the Ask the Coast Guard thread the response was that they (CG) can do it (what has been described here) just like any other LEO.

I elected to not point out to him that in WA the police cannot search your vehicle as part of a non-criminal stop (i.e. traffic citation).

Bottom line from my perspective is that they do it because they can do it under current Federal law; not because of any minimal risk associated with routine recreational boater compliance boardings.
Pipe Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:40 PM   #22
Wazu_Wiseman
Chromer

Been boarded while on Columbia. We had a pistol on the dash. They were cool with it there until I needed to go up there and get my registration. At that time they said to make us all feel safer, we’ll unload and separate. No big deal, everyone was cool.
Wazu_Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:57 PM   #23
jacksalmon
Ifish Nate

Quote:

I am not giving you a hard time, but I was curious about your response to them, so I'll ask. Were you really concerned that you were going to be shot by them if you were without your weapon? Or, was there something else that would have made you feel safer, if they had given their guns to you on board your boat? Why did you feel threatened?

I am asking because I have an immediate negative knee jerk reaction to any cop who stops me for any reason, unless I know I was in the wrong and, even then I anticipate a negative interaction with any cop. But, I have never felt like I was going to get shot by one of them. Maybe that is because I am old and white and have never been stopped for any reason that could have been perceived by any cop as being threatening to them.
jacksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:35 PM   #24
DogZilla15
King Salmon

When you watch enough cop shows on TV or have experienced it yourself, you hear them say some really odd stuff. I’ve heard them ask. “Do you have any weapons or drugs I need to know about?” If the person being questioned is a law abiding, non-threatening individual, the answer is always, no. Has nothing to do with the presence of weapons, you may have a car or boat load. Don’t tell them anything they didn’t actually ask.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:15 PM   #25
Pipe Dream
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazu_Wiseman View Post
Been boarded while on Columbia. We had a pistol on the dash. They were cool with it there until I needed to go up there and get my registration. At that time they said to make us all feel safer, we’ll unload and separate. No big deal, everyone was cool.
But did it make YOU feel safer???
Pipe Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:23 PM   #26
geterdone
Chromer

I trust the USCG and do not feel the need to be armed around them. My pistol has always been in the glove box while they boarded, so they removed it, removed the clip and set it on the dash while they conducted their inspection. Asked me to not install the clip until they were off the dock after we were done with the inspection.

For those carrying and had them remove the gun from your holster, I see both sides. You removing the gun might put them at risk. Not all boaters are law abiding citizens unfortunately.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:45 PM   #27
Keta
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazu_Wiseman View Post

And that is the way it should be done.

NEVER lie to any LE when asked if you are armed, they WILL know if you have a CC because you voluntarily put yourself in their data base.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:59 PM   #28
iwanttofish
King Salmon

I had one on the willy a few years ago ask for our guns, we handed them over and when they handed them back he went to set the gun on the back corner of the boat. I told him no that is not going to work because if it falls off he is going to have to retrieve the gun. We finally agreed that he would set both pieces on my throw cushion and then I would not put them back together until they left. I said ok no problem but really putting a gun on the back corner of the boat? It worked out fine and everyone was cool but it felt strange being asked for my gun. But I did understand.

I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
iwanttofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:00 PM   #29
ron m
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipe Dream View Post
But did it make YOU feel safer???
Maybe another appropriate question is “Did it make YOU feel less safe?”

My guess from his post is no, he didn’t feel less safe.

Not having a loaded weapon on or near your person in these types of situations undoubtably reduces the possibility of someone misinterpreting the actions, movement, or body language of you or one of your crew or maybe even you misinterpreting their movements, actions, or body language.
ron m
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:02 PM   #30
Skagitbob
Cutthroat

My take on this is, that after having retired after 28 yrs in Federal LE and working closely with local LE and CG on boarding at sea and at the dock and everywhere in between, one thing that you become aware of quickly is how many "bad guys" have a concealed weapon permit, how many open carry in the states they can, and how many have a weapon on board the vessel, because they haven't a criminal history. Not all are bad but in my experience, there are quite a few that just haven't been caught or have, but the court adjudication hasn't been completed so they still carry or posses. You don't know that until you run a criminal history check, honestly that would take forever to check everyone that has a weapon on them, in their possession, or on board the vessel, at the time of contact. I have never expected anything but the CG to ask about my weapon nor unload it when they have boarded me, even though a couple times the boarding party knew I was retired LE. Never want a Master Chief to chew out a boarding party crew for not following procedure. My 2 Cents
Skagitbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:16 PM   #31
flatman
King Salmon

it isnt about them feeling safe. its all about our rights and the right not to have a policeman search you or take any of your possessions unless he suspects or has probable cause you committed or are about to commit a crime.

simple as that.

besides they are not trained to handle and unload and take apart all the different types of guns they encounter so that makes them the dangerous party once they take it from your hip and attempt to unload a strange firearm.

none of this has anything to do with respect for them or them needing too feel safe.

how about if the police were allowed to come into your house at will and take possession of your firearms or goods for their saftey. the only reason the coast guard can do that on your boat is because of an antique law that should be repealed.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:38 PM   #32
seadna
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatman View Post
it isnt about them feeling safe. its all about our rights and the right not to have a policeman search you or take any of your possessions unless he suspects or has probable cause you committed or are about to commit a crime.

simple as that.

besides they are not trained to handle and unload and take apart all the different types of guns they encounter so that makes them the dangerous party once they take it from your hip and attempt to unload a strange firearm.

none of this has anything to do with respect for them or them needing too feel safe.

how about if the police were allowed to come into your house at will and take possession of your firearms or goods for their saftey. the only reason the coast guard can do that on your boat is because of an antique law that should be repealed.
The have a legal right to inspect your boat - for your safety and for theirs as a boater's lack of prep often becomes their rescue operation. Their kids and significant others also have a reasonable right to have their family member return home. As others have said, they don't know the boat owner from Jesus when they come on board. Taking the gun away during the inspection is definitely about their safety. The idea that they don't have the training to handle all the different types of firearms they might come across is silly.
seadna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:52 PM   #33
Grizzly II
Tuna!

Quote:
Quote:

simple as that.

As usual I am late to the party. This conversation strikes very close to home. I am retired from the Coast Guard with 22 years service, during which I have conducted scores of boarding’s under a variety of circumstances. Subsequent to that I worked for the National Rifle Association for 18 years. I am now and have been since retirement from the CG, a CHL holder. A responsibility I take very seriously. The boarding officer in the situation described proceeded as mandated by his superiors. Period. I cannot quote the statue off hand. But it is there.

Lee (Keta) has a good view of my perspective so I will not go into my experiences on both sides of the question except to my relate my latest interaction with a CG boarding officer last season. We were off shore and observed an CG inflatable heading our way. I upholstered my piece, removed the clip, cleared the chamber , locked the breech open and placed the firearm in clear view on the dash. Asking for and receiving permission to come aboard the first question asked was” are there any firearms aboard“ . I said yes, him “Where are they” me “on the dash, unloaded and cleared“, one look and end of story. There are numerous ways to react to this situation. Think about it from both sides and respond accordingly.

BTW. In response to this question Does anyone know the repercussions of lying about a weapon on board and getting found out?” Your life will be much better if it doesn’t happen to you. Sorry this is so long.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Ben Franklin

Last edited by Grizzly II; 03-31-2019 at 06:55 PM. Reason: clarify
Grizzly II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:58 PM   #34
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:

simple as that.

Well, if LE or Coasties ever want to take control of your weapon, just tell them where to go. It will work out just fine.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:09 PM   #35
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Let’s say the captain is asked about weapons. This is presuming the captain can be identified. Can he/she or should he/she speak for the whole crew? If there are X number of people on board, everyone has the right to speak for themselves. If you feel your 2nd amendment rights are being threatened, respond in such a way that doesn’t threaten your crew’s 2nd amendment rights. It’s okay to say, no or I don’t know.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:28 PM   #36
sadiesassy
King Salmon

This not just a CG thing. Sheriff and local law enforcement. Std procedure is separate you from the gun , unload and secure. Lots of bad people out there

In search and rescue - if the person has a firearm - the gun is separated from the owner, unloaded. Gun goes in the rear of one vehicle and ammo goes in the back of another vehicle.

They do not get a option. Or the option is stay there and a LEO has to come out - which they are not happy doing. Tend to **** them off.

All about safety, minor inconvenience
sadiesassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:38 AM   #37
wak'm&stak'm
King Salmon

I have been boarded a couple of times, and during halibut season we usually had a simple single shot 410 ( which reminds me I need to get another one). They didn’t even blink and just finished their paper work....

I have never felt the need to carry, but I understand the right too, and why some exercise that right...
Once I was at the dock and some friends in another boat were giving me their regular BS, if some one didn’t know we knew each other for 30 years they may have thought we were being quite rude to each other. A LEO came by and I asked if he had bullets in his gun, and if he would go shoot the guys in the other boat for me? He just walked off and never checked either of us....
wak'm&stak'm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:56 AM   #38
98ramtough
Ifish Nate

Sounds like a nice polite boarding and inspection to me. When the CG boards you, you pretty much want to just sit on your hands and let them do their thing. You really don't have any rights when it comes to dealing with them. It really depends on the officer, I am sure 90+ % are great dudes. I got boarded by a bunch of young a holes and lost a lot of respect for them to be honest. Passed with flying colors on the search, but they were rude and scared my kids. This was a couple hundred miles from the coast. Large waste of tax payers dollars IMO. I say keep them on the coast and cut the funding that enables them to harass boaters up river. Flame on!
98ramtough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:19 AM   #39
Soulakala
King Salmon

I've been boarded by the USCG, Sheriffs and OSP and found them doing their jobs as I would, safety being the primary goal for all. Remember that in Oregon your concealed carry permit is an ID field connected to your drivers license in the data base. So when the officer runs your license he or she knows about your concealed carry. In addition your concealed carry permit requires you to reveal you are carrying, not doing so in a traffic stop is justification for enforcement action.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:38 AM   #40
Tesoro
Chromer

The coast guard has their protocols which they must follow...it might not make much sense to us for a young coastie to ask that question here in Oregon but maybe it makes more sense for his classmate to do so who is in Miami.
Tesoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:44 AM   #41
Fishing Dear
Tuna!

Funny thing about this whole topic is that every one just walks back and forth past all of those fillet knives....
Old 04-01-2019, 07:51 AM   #42
Fishing Dear
Tuna!

Funny thing about this topic is that while being boarded and looking for firearms everyone just walks back and forth past all of those fillet knives...
Old 04-01-2019, 08:09 AM   #43
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

Standard procedure, same stuff comes up every time the topic resurfaces.

Personally I have no problem with it. I appreciate everything they do to protect the lives of mariners. What is the saying they have, "You have to go, you don't have to come back." Something like that.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #44
adrenaline
King Salmon

Try to put yourself in their shoes, wouldn't you handle it the same way?, I sure would, besides like said it's textbook standard procedure.

One day broke down on hwy 20 in Juntura, I had to hitchhike to Vale for parts, couldn't get a ride back for several hours, a state'r drove by a few times, than must of had pitty on me, cause he stopped & gave me a ride to my rig, but not before frisking me, & checking my backpack for weapons, said he never takes any chances.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:37 PM   #45
98ramtough
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
Try to put yourself in their shoes, wouldn't you handle it the same way?, I sure would, besides like said it's textbook standard procedure.
Nope... I wouldn't drive up and just jump into the boat without saying hi to the little girls in the boat. I wouldn't immediately ask dad if he has a gun and tell him not to go for it while they are going up to grab it, unload it, and transfer it to their boat to run the check to see if it is stolen. When dad is trying to be discreet to tell the officer where the weapon is, I would work with him so the kids aren't scared and be quiet so the kids don't know where the weapon is.... After all the safety check is done, I wouldn't announce loud to dad to not touch the weapon or load it until they are out of sight. With some young a hole coast guard people, you are guilty until proven innocent.

Now just in case there is some young coast guard people on here. Here is how the check should work, especially if you pull up to a boat with young children in it. You pull up and greet the people. Say "Hi kids, hope your having a fun day. Thanks for wearing your life vests!" We are going to hop in your boat for a few minutes to check a few things..... That is how you interact with people. That is how you don't get a call to your commanding officer from a ****** off dad. That is how you continue to have folks not hate you.... That is how you keep youth interested in boating and enjoying being on the water. You can protect yourself and stay safe without being an arrogant *****.
98ramtough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:16 PM   #46
Bait O Eggs
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamminKokes View Post
You telling them that youd feel safer if they didnt have their guns sounds like you dont respect them or their jobs. They dont know you from Adam so it makes sense that they want to know you arent armed and a possible threat to them.

I am always safer when the other person doesnt have a gun, and I do. I dont care who they are. Get off your high horse about I dont respect them, it makes you sound like a fool.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:26 PM   #47
Bait O Eggs
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksalmon View Post
I am not giving you a hard time, but I was curious about your response to them, so I'll ask. Were you really concerned that you were going to be shot by them if you were without your weapon? Or, was there something else that would have made you feel safer, if they had given their guns to you on board your boat? Why did you feel threatened?

I am asking because I have an immediate negative knee jerk reaction to any cop who stops me for any reason, unless I know I was in the wrong and, even then I anticipate a negative interaction with any cop. But, I have never felt like I was going to get shot by one of them. Maybe that is because I am old and white and have never been stopped for any reason that could have been perceived by any cop as being threatening to them.
I was not concerned they were going to shoot me, but I would feel safer on my boat if they didnt have the ability to shoot me. They are coming into my house, I didnt go on their boat.

I have had a cop draw a service weapon on me in Glacier National Park was doing 55mph on a long straight stretch, (I didnt realize 45mph was the max speed in national parks) a long time ago when the drivers license came back I was a felon, considered armed and dangerous and wanted. It also said right afterward the gun came out I was black and about 6.5 feet tall. So I get to look down a barrel for 5 minutes while they run my drivers license again and realize somebody mis typed a number. Cop was nice afterwards, but she was jumpy out in the middle of nowhere while I sat on my tailgate with my hands in the air. I have had OSP flat out lie to me, accuse me of stuff I didnt do. You would have to get to the upper levels of the FBI to find a more unworthy agency. Of all the agencies I cross paths with the USCG is probably the most trustworthy.

I dont care who you are, if the other person is not armed I am more likely to not get shot. Its the same logic they use to disarm me on my boat, they dont want me to have a gun so they dont get shot, I dont want them to have guns so I dont get shot.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #48
Silver Eagle
Ifish Nate

Was boarded at the Dock a few years ago, they ask if anyone had a weapon, there were six of us, we replied yes, and that there were two boat guns, they ask us to leave our weapons aboard and go to the dock which we did, end of story, they did there inspection and left......

Why can't my crew do what I say, Just Once.....
Silver Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:52 PM   #49
wdlfbio
Tuna!

Tough one. I hate having judges bend the laws that allow LE to infringe on our rights, the 4th amendment in this case (USCG is the only agency I’m aware of that doesn’t technically need probable cause to search our vehicles (boats). We are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, and this is infringement without justification for it. Because others are bad, doesn’t mean we are and doesn’t mean we should be treated that way. So, first they apply the bending to get around the 4th amendment, then they infringe on our 2nd amendment. I’m not aware of a law that says a cop gets to infringe on our rights so he/she can feel more comfortable during their job.

If they want to stay locked and loaded and ready to shoot me, fine. But I know I’m not gonna make a move on them that would give them reason to be that concerned. The more people are ok with bending and giving up rights, the more others take those rights, the. 10 years later, the rights are gone because enough people are comfortable with them being given away...

Our rights should trump peoples’ feelings.

The USCG does some awesome things. So does my agency. But those actions do not allow us to color outside the lines and if we do, we get sued.
wdlfbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:13 PM   #50
no excuses
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulakala View Post
In addition your concealed carry permit requires you to reveal you are carrying, not doing so in a traffic stop is justification for enforcement action.

Sorry but I believe you are wrong, it might be recommended but is not mandatory.

Oregon gun laws make no mention of informing law enforcement you have a weapon. The laws do state that you must have with you at all times you are carrying a firearm your permit and produce this when requested.

The Law
ORS 166.292
no excuses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:36 PM   #51
Grizzly II
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no excuses View Post
Sorry but I believe you are wrong, it might be recommended but is not mandatory.

Oregon gun laws make no mention of informing law enforcement you have a weapon. The laws do state that you must have with you at all times you are carrying a firearm your permit and produce this when requested.

The Law
ORS 166.292

This is accurate!!!
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Ben Franklin
Grizzly II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:47 PM   #52
jacksalmon
Ifish Nate

Quote:
I was not concerned they were going to shoot me, but I would feel safer on my boat if they didnt have the ability to shoot me. They are coming into my house, I didnt go on their boat.

I have had a cop draw a service weapon on me in Glacier National Park was doing 55mph on a long straight stretch, (I didnt realize 45mph was the max speed in national parks) a long time ago when the drivers license came back I was a felon, considered armed and dangerous and wanted. It also said right afterward the gun came out I was black and about 6.5 feet tall. So I get to look down a barrel for 5 minutes while they run my drivers license again and realize somebody mis typed a number. Cop was nice afterwards, but she was jumpy out in the middle of nowhere while I sat on my tailgate with my hands in the air. I have had OSP flat out lie to me, accuse me of stuff I didnt do. You would have to get to the upper levels of the FBI to find a more unworthy agency. Of all the agencies I cross paths with the USCG is probably the most trustworthy.

I dont care who you are, if the other person is not armed I am more likely to not get shot. Its the same logic they use to disarm me on my boat, they dont want me to have a gun so they dont get shot, I dont want them to have guns so I dont get shot.
Thanks for answering my questions. While I have never suffered the gun pointed at me like you did, I have had a couple of bad interactions with cops due to their bad attitudes. Those interactions have soured all of my dealings with cops. It is unfortunate, but it is hard for me to forget about the negative encounters.
jacksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:50 PM   #53
Bait O Eggs
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksalmon View Post
Thanks for answering my questions. While I have never suffered the gun pointed at me like you did, I have had a couple of bad interactions with cops due to their bad attitudes. Those interactions have soured all of my dealings with cops. It is unfortunate, but it is hard for me to forget about the negative encounters.
My several bad encounters with OSP also jade my opinion, funny thing it is usually game cops, I have never had a violation, just a family thing I think. Bring them up here and there are those that like to attack you, (lack of respect etc...) ......sometimes the truth cuts just a little to close to the bone. OSP had bad attitudes from dealing plenty of scum, then they treat somebody bad for no reason and then that person gets a bad attitude to them.

A couple years ago I got pulled over for passing somebody on a country road doing a bit over 60 mph while passing in a 55. Lady OSP cop, asked me for my license, registration/insurance, I tell her before I open the glove box she will see a pistol in there when I open it, she says no problem just dont pull it out. I get my insurance and registration from the glove box, she lets me go, no ticket. Seemed like how it should work, its legal, its mine, I have a CWP. One of my few good encounters.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #54
blueduck
Sturgeon

Quote:

The Law
ORS 166.292
There is no law, statute, administrative rule, or ordinance that requires notifying LE that you have a firearm in your possession in Oregon.

Also, currently in Oregon LE are not entitled to inquire about whether one is carrying unless LE can specify and articulate some threat they perceive from you. What that means is very subjective. What LE may perceive as a threat could be broad spectrum. They may ask regardless of any overt or obvious threat. Many feel they have this 'right'. They don't under the law. Other states do. I suspect lying would be a very poor option, however I suppose one could decline to answer and see how that all worked out. Probably not be a good idea if you needed to get where you were going on time.

Coast Guard probably does what they see fit which seems fine, but I don't know whether or not I'd agree to anyone disarming me unless I was posing an obvious threat. I'd be real courteous, but I guess they could just level down on me and take my weapon. I don't really care what the reasoning would be, but without probable cause or a threat I think that would be a bit of an over reach. Can't imagine why I'd choose that route, but it seems wrong to think others can disarm someone without cause, regardless of who they are.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:22 PM   #55
nestucca
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
Those coasties have nothing to worry about while doing boardings.
It’s not like they’ve ever ran a name through the data base while doing the boarding and person has come back with felony warrants. Or been physically assaulted. Impossible, because everyone who owns a boat and fishes are stand up awesome dudes. In my opinion they should ask for the gun after the warrant check comes back positive or after punches are thrown. Sensible to me.
You are kidding, right? I sure hope so.
nestucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:36 PM   #56
nestucca
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadna View Post
The have a legal right to inspect your boat - for your safety and for theirs as a boater's lack of prep often becomes their rescue operation. Their kids and significant others also have a reasonable right to have their family member return home. As others have said, they don't know the boat owner from Jesus when they come on board. Taking the gun away during the inspection is definitely about their safety. The idea that they don't have the training to handle all the different types of firearms they might come across is silly.
For sure.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:38 PM   #57
duke1122
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueduck View Post
There is no law, statute, administrative rule, or ordinance that requires notifying LE that you have a firearm in your possession in Oregon.

Also, currently in Oregon LE are not entitled to inquire about whether one is carrying unless LE can specify and articulate some threat they perceive from you. What that means is very subjective. What LE may perceive as a threat could be broad spectrum. They may ask regardless of any overt or obvious threat. Many feel they have this 'right'. They don't under the law. Other states do. I suspect lying would be a very poor option, however I suppose one could decline to answer and see how that all worked out. Probably not be a good idea if you needed to get where you were going on time.

Coast Guard probably does what they see fit which seems fine, but I don't know whether or not I'd agree to anyone disarming me unless I was posing an obvious threat. I'd be real courteous, but I guess they could just level down on me and take my weapon. I don't really care what the reasoning would be, but without probable cause or a threat I think that would be a bit of an over reach. Can't imagine why I'd choose that route, but it seems wrong to think others can disarm someone without cause, regardless of who they are.
I believe the deal is a 200 year old statute that allows the CG to do whatever they want. Example. They tow a boat in that ran out of fuel. They can charge the cost of the rescue(could be 500 to 2000) or give a safety check and a stern warning. Attitude and cooperation probably makes the difference.
duke1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:46 PM   #58
nestucca
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing Dear View Post
Funny thing about this topic is that while being boarded and looking for firearms everyone just walks back and forth past all of those fillet knives...
Actually, I don't think going to a gun fight with a knife is very smart?
Old 04-01-2019, 06:07 PM   #59
nestucca
Tuna!

Quote:

The Law
ORS 166.292
I believe it is strongly recommended a number of times in the concealed carry training course, to advise the officer you are carrying a weapon. As a retired FED. Law Enforcement Officer, I go through a annual training in order to carry. (with my 'Retired' Credentials in my possession) Our standard statement if contacted by a LEO is; "for your safety and mine, I am legally possessing a firearm." As mentioned above, a LEO is only human, and 'probably' doesn't know you from Adam? He/She want to go home at the end of their shift, as you do when you get back to shore. If you jerk your firearm out of concealment, or rapidly grab it as it is falling off the console, without politely acknowledging that you are armed could ruin everybody's day. It seems that everybody is so wrapped up in THEIR RIGHTS they disregard common sense and safety.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:22 PM   #60
sprigdog
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestucca View Post
You are kidding, right? I sure hope so.
I thought the sarcasm was obvious.

CG can’t charge for towing in a boat that is out of fuel or anything unless it’s a hoax
sprigdog is offline   Reply With Quote