Hemp - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2018, 05:35 AM   #1
whtelk
Ifish Nate
 
whtelk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,058
Default Hemp

Looks like hemp farming will finally be legal in most of Oregon. Many farmers will be entering this venture. Hemp is not dope.

whtelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-19-2018, 05:45 AM   #2
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico
Posts: 15,107
Default Re: Hemp

No it is not, whtelk. It is an extremely useful plant and a wonderful fiber source, and it is about time ... and, a lot of research is going into the extraction of CBD from it as well.
I can't imagine a down side.
__________________
The language of God is science.
Bill Rogue V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:45 AM   #3
rowmanholiday
King Salmon
 
rowmanholiday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 5,153
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rogue V. View Post
No it is not, whtelk. It is an extremely useful plant and a wonderful fiber source, and it is about time ... and, a lot of research is going into the extraction of CBD from it as well.
I can't imagine a down side.

Only to it's competitors.

rowmanholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 12-19-2018, 07:05 AM   #4
Lucky Guy
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 4,979
Default Re: Hemp

You can't drive very far in Deschutes County without seeing a hemp field now.
Lucky Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:35 AM   #5
lingslayer
King Salmon
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The new ecotopia
Posts: 5,329
Default Re: Hemp

I can think of a downside.


Wait until all that hemp pollen starts blowing around, and see how the bud farmers feel about it!
__________________
Green is the new red!
Never be so open minded that your brains fall out!! And never, NEVER forget
lingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:03 AM   #6
hunteraholic
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lebanon Or
Posts: 383
Default Re: Hemp

I can think of several. First off let me say i have no problem with the process or growing of it. We are two properties over from it. The smell is absolutely terrible for a few months. Makes me and other neighbors sick. People are parking in the neighbors driveway at night to steal the stuff. They are leaving all kinds of garbage. Ive seen the cops out chasing people in the field at night. Living near town and a river we have a bit of homeless coming and going the traffic has gone up considerable this last summer. One neighbor will probably move because of this. HA
__________________
"Kill them where you find them". Mike Knifong
hunteraholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:29 AM   #7
STGRule
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
 
STGRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Oak Grove
Posts: 37,854
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
....The smell is absolutely terrible for a few months....
So are dairies, pig farms, and composters. Just another thing to add. At least hemp and pot doesn't stink to everybody. Those other things have a pedestal of fetor all their own.
__________________
Former resident cat herder. And I have a cool crown.
Ifish Member # 943 (or 1426 in my other universe)
"Team Lutefisk"
STGRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #8
loper
King Salmon
 
loper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 5,547
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunteraholic View Post
Makes me and other neighbors sick.
I see a class-action lawsuit in the making.
__________________
OHA Capitol Chapter (Life Member)
RMEF Life Member, OR-FNAWS Life Member, Pheasants Forever, Inland Northwest Wildlife Council, NW Predator Hunters Association, OBH, Oregon Shed Hunters, BHA
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #9
fyshndad
"The Old Salt"
 
fyshndad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Regrettably in PDX
Posts: 10,945
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunteraholic View Post
I can think of several. First off let me say i have no problem with the process or growing of it. We are two properties over from it. The smell is absolutely terrible for a few months. Makes me and other neighbors sick. People are parking in the neighbors driveway at night to steal the stuff. They are leaving all kinds of garbage. Ive seen the cops out chasing people in the field at night. Living near town and a river we have a bit of homeless coming and going the traffic has gone up considerable this last summer. One neighbor will probably move because of this. HA
They are stealing HEMP???

I don't get it.
__________________
Hank aka fysh
22' Harvey Dory Boat name Memories

The boat is out of service until further notice and won't be seeing any saltwater. The only water is going to be from the garden hose and the sky

fyshndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:05 PM   #10
loper
King Salmon
 
loper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 5,547
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshndad View Post
They are stealing HEMP???

I don't get it.
There are a bunch of stories from other states where this is occurring also; the thieves believe they are stealing marijuana.

Now you get it.
__________________
OHA Capitol Chapter (Life Member)
RMEF Life Member, OR-FNAWS Life Member, Pheasants Forever, Inland Northwest Wildlife Council, NW Predator Hunters Association, OBH, Oregon Shed Hunters, BHA
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #11
bigfishaddiction
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Milwaukie
Posts: 2,068
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by loper View Post
There are a bunch of stories from other states where this is occurring also; the thieves believe they are stealing marijuana.

Now you get it.
That's great!
bigfishaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #12
loper
King Salmon
 
loper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 5,547
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishaddiction View Post
That's great!
Humorous but in at least one case dangerous also; gunfire was involved.
__________________
OHA Capitol Chapter (Life Member)
RMEF Life Member, OR-FNAWS Life Member, Pheasants Forever, Inland Northwest Wildlife Council, NW Predator Hunters Association, OBH, Oregon Shed Hunters, BHA
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:32 PM   #13
lingslayer
King Salmon
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The new ecotopia
Posts: 5,329
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by loper View Post
Humorous but in at least one case dangerous also; gunfire was involved.
That can't be.
Everybody knows weed smokers are peaceful, fun-loving, deliberative types that just like to kick back and be mellow.


Only alcohol drinkers are violent types with poor judgement.


I know this to be true, I read it right here on I-Fish.
__________________
Green is the new red!
Never be so open minded that your brains fall out!! And never, NEVER forget
lingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #14
loper
King Salmon
 
loper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 5,547
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingslayer View Post
Everybody knows weed smokers are peaceful, fun-loving, deliberative types that just like to kick back and be mellow.
I'm not sure how much these two have to deliberate with

link
__________________
OHA Capitol Chapter (Life Member)
RMEF Life Member, OR-FNAWS Life Member, Pheasants Forever, Inland Northwest Wildlife Council, NW Predator Hunters Association, OBH, Oregon Shed Hunters, BHA
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #15
Don G Baldi
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Salem/Little Italy
Posts: 10,310
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by loper View Post
There are a bunch of stories from other states where this is occurring also; the thieves believe they are stealing marijuana.

Now you get it.
Imagine that, a doper don't know there's a difference between marijuana (hemp) and industrial hemp, that stringy fiber used to make ropes. It's all hemp, man.
__________________
Common sense isn't evenly distributed
Don G Baldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #16
Artwo
King Salmon
 
Artwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Canby, Oregon
Posts: 15,411
Default Re: Hemp

......can't fix stupid
__________________
Do your part, join an advocacy group and be involved...
Northwest Steelheaders/Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Team Beavers
Artwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #17
fyshndad
"The Old Salt"
 
fyshndad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Regrettably in PDX
Posts: 10,945
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwo View Post
......can't fix stupid
And this brings the phrase to a whole new level.

I guess I didn't get it because I learned the difference in the early 70's the first time I saw it growing in a ditch along the road.
I made the comment to the driver that it looked like weed and he gave me the rundown.
I did say that it would be a good joke to give some to my buddies that smoked the stuff but I never contemplated trying to sell it
__________________
Hank aka fysh
22' Harvey Dory Boat name Memories

The boat is out of service until further notice and won't be seeing any saltwater. The only water is going to be from the garden hose and the sky

fyshndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:52 AM   #18
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico
Posts: 15,107
Default Re: Hemp

Um. You can use catnip rolled up nicely in a wheatstraw to fool someone. Don't ask me how I know ...

__________________
The language of God is science.
Bill Rogue V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:31 AM   #19
Eagleclaw
King Salmon
 
Eagleclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 8,873
Default Re: Hemp

There is a big hemp farm out be Lone Pine. I think it’s great


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eagleclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:46 AM   #20
Buccaneer
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,302
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Guy View Post
You can't drive very far in Deschutes County without seeing a hemp field now.
We have friends with acreage they've been growing hay on in the Tumalo area. They have irrigation. A hemp grower (CBD operation) approached them and now have a hemp farm.

They're happy because they no longer have to do all the work associated with the small hay operation (mainly keeps the farm deferral in place) because the hemp operation does all the work, and pays them reasonably well for the use of the land and water. He mentioned a couple of neighbors weren't happy and actually filed formal complaints with the county to no avail.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:02 AM   #21
Don G Baldi
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Salem/Little Italy
Posts: 10,310
Default Re: Hemp

With the ban on industrial hemp the US imported this stuff:

"The following hemp products such as clothing, hats, shirts, shoes, cosmetics, lotion, paper, rope, twine, yarn, shampoo, and soap, (containing sterilized cannabis seeds or oils extracted from the seeds), etc. may be imported into the U.S."

Now we can grow it, it becomes a cash crop for US farmers. If some dope wants to smoke a rope, I'll give them a book of matches.
__________________
Common sense isn't evenly distributed
Don G Baldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #22
dirtman
Tuna!
 
dirtman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tigard
Posts: 1,651
Default Re: Hemp

I've read that George Washington grew hemp, but this seems to imply that it was marijuana and Martha was pretty darn hip...

dirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #23
Lucky Guy
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 4,979
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
We have friends with acreage they've been growing hay on in the Tumalo area. They have irrigation. A hemp grower (CBD operation) approached them and now have a hemp farm.

They're happy because they no longer have to do all the work associated with the small hay operation (mainly keeps the farm deferral in place) because the hemp operation does all the work, and pays them reasonably well for the use of the land and water. He mentioned a couple of neighbors weren't happy and actually filed formal complaints with the county to no avail.

County or state ruled it to be an ag product and so it's a permitted use without a cup.
Lucky Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:41 PM   #24
loper
King Salmon
 
loper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 5,547
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtelk View Post
Looks like hemp farming will finally be legal in most of Oregon. Many farmers will be entering this venture. Hemp is not dope.
"Kentucky and Oregon are big producers of hemp, and much of what they grow is processed in Colorado. Companies that transport the plant often drive through Oklahoma and Idaho, which is where some arrests have occurred.

Hemp remains illegal under Idaho law, and lawmakers there are scrambling to pass a legalization bill. Law enforcement agencies are urging them to include guidance on field tests."

"At least three truckers and two security guards transporting state-certified hemp have been arrested and charged with felony drug trafficking. Thousands of pounds worth more than $2 million combined after processing remain in warehouses in Oklahoma and Idaho as evidence while the cases play out."

source
__________________
OHA Capitol Chapter (Life Member)
RMEF Life Member, OR-FNAWS Life Member, Pheasants Forever, Inland Northwest Wildlife Council, NW Predator Hunters Association, OBH, Oregon Shed Hunters, BHA
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:44 PM   #25
Fishfeet
King Salmon
 
Fishfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Foothills of the Cascades , Ore.
Posts: 8,502
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by loper View Post
"Kentucky and Oregon are big producers of hemp, and much of what they grow is processed in Colorado. Companies that transport the plant often drive through Oklahoma and Idaho, which is where some arrests have occurred.

Hemp remains illegal under Idaho law, and lawmakers there are scrambling to pass a legalization bill. Law enforcement agencies are urging them to include guidance on field tests."

"At least three truckers and two security guards transporting state-certified hemp have been arrested and charged with felony drug trafficking. Thousands of pounds worth more than $2 million combined after processing remain in warehouses in Oklahoma and Idaho as evidence while the cases play out."

source
When are the powers that be, gonna wake up?
__________________
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and exuberance!
Fishfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:56 PM   #26
loper
King Salmon
 
loper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 5,547
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfeet View Post
When are the powers that be, gonna wake up?
And now, for the rest of the story:

"Andrew Ross, a Marine who served in Afghanistan and Iraq, is facing 18 years to life in Oklahoma if convicted after he was arrested in January while providing security for a load of state-certified hemp from Kentucky. Ross and a colleague were riding in a van behind a semi-truck filled with the plant that ran a red light and was pulled over.

Ross said he provided police in Pawhuska, Oklahoma, with the state-issued license for the Kentucky farm that grew the hemp, the license for the Colorado lab that was buying it and chemical analysis paperwork for all 60 sacks of hemp that he said shows it was within federal guidelines for hemp.

That wasn’t enough for the officers. They tested the shipment and found it contained THC — although not how much — and arrested Ross, his colleague and the two truck drivers."

"Some samples sent to a DEA lab in Washington, D.C., came back within the legal range for THC, but several were over..." :O

“Part of it is hemp, and part of it is marijuana."
__________________
OHA Capitol Chapter (Life Member)
RMEF Life Member, OR-FNAWS Life Member, Pheasants Forever, Inland Northwest Wildlife Council, NW Predator Hunters Association, OBH, Oregon Shed Hunters, BHA
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #27
No Reservations
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bend Or
Posts: 1,805
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rogue V. View Post
No it is not, whtelk. It is an extremely useful plant and a wonderful fiber source, and it is about time ... and, a lot of research is going into the extraction of CBD from it as well.
I can't imagine a down side.


Odor would be one!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No Reservations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:07 PM   #28
DogZilla15
King Salmon
 
DogZilla15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 31,042
Default Re: Hemp

This is a choice, common sense, thing. These states can choose to not enforce the law till it is taken off the books. I doubt the part of the hemp plant used industrially could be turned into any kind of drug no matter how much processing it went through.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:44 PM   #29
Fishfeet
King Salmon
 
Fishfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Foothills of the Cascades , Ore.
Posts: 8,502
Default Re: Hemp

Loper. That is totally UNreasonable. Talk about REDNECK!
The problem being... they apparently don't check in with their neighboring states enough.
Or MAYBE? They are using a fall guy to demonstrate the un equality of laws between neighboring states?
But 18 years??? GOOD GAWD!
__________________
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and exuberance!
Fishfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:51 PM   #30
gettin' fishy
Ifish Nate
 
gettin' fishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: salem, oregon
Posts: 3,316
Default Re: Hemp

If you know it is illegal to transport through those states, why plan your route through them. These guys were gambling and lost.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
gettin' fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:59 PM   #31
loper
King Salmon
 
loper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 5,547
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfeet View Post
Loper. That is totally UNreasonable. Talk about REDNECK!
The problem being... they apparently don't check in with their neighboring states enough.
Or MAYBE? They are using a fall guy to demonstrate the un equality of laws between neighboring states?
But 18 years??? GOOD GAWD!

That’s the minimum
Life was the maximum 🤠



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
OHA Capitol Chapter (Life Member)
RMEF Life Member, OR-FNAWS Life Member, Pheasants Forever, Inland Northwest Wildlife Council, NW Predator Hunters Association, OBH, Oregon Shed Hunters, BHA
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:08 PM   #32
Fishfeet
King Salmon
 
Fishfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Foothills of the Cascades , Ore.
Posts: 8,502
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by loper View Post
That’s the minimum
Life was the maximum 🤠



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YEESH! Sounds like I'm in one of them there foreign countries again!
__________________
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and exuberance!
Fishfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:48 AM   #33
JerryM
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,897
Default Re: Hemp

Because fiber crops usually have security follow vehicles and guards....
__________________
18' Hewes Sportsman "MaryNater"
24' Hewes OP "MaryNater II"
Working to regain traditional free forest access for all.
JerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:03 AM   #34
Fishfeet
King Salmon
 
Fishfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Foothills of the Cascades , Ore.
Posts: 8,502
Default Re: Hemp

United heads for hemp.
__________________
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and exuberance!
Fishfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:05 AM   #35
loper
King Salmon
 
loper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 5,547
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
Because fiber crops usually have security follow vehicles and guards....

It was worth $2 million dollars



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
OHA Capitol Chapter (Life Member)
RMEF Life Member, OR-FNAWS Life Member, Pheasants Forever, Inland Northwest Wildlife Council, NW Predator Hunters Association, OBH, Oregon Shed Hunters, BHA
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:49 AM   #36
dirtman
Tuna!
 
dirtman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tigard
Posts: 1,651
Default Re: Hemp

The article said the load was 18,000 pounds and was valued around 1 million dollars. That is $55 a pound. It must have been destined for CBD extraction as that is way too high a price for making rope or other fiber products with.
dirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #37
loper
King Salmon
 
loper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 5,547
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman View Post
The article said the load was 18,000 pounds and was valued around 1 million dollars. That is $55 a pound. It must have been destined for CBD extraction as that is way too high a price for making rope or other fiber products with.
That is exactly why it was headed to Colorado:

Colorado has more acres in hemp, more farmers growing the crop, more processors extracting CBD from hemp and more market opportunities for selling the plant than any other state.
__________________
OHA Capitol Chapter (Life Member)
RMEF Life Member, OR-FNAWS Life Member, Pheasants Forever, Inland Northwest Wildlife Council, NW Predator Hunters Association, OBH, Oregon Shed Hunters, BHA
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:27 AM   #38
Fishfeet
King Salmon
 
Fishfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Foothills of the Cascades , Ore.
Posts: 8,502
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by loper View Post
That is exactly why it was headed to Colorado:

Colorado has more acres in hemp, more farmers growing the crop, more processors extracting CBD from hemp and more market opportunities for selling the plant than any other state.
Guess Orygun farmers better get with the band wagon.
__________________
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and exuberance!
Fishfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #39
loper
King Salmon
 
loper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 5,547
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfeet View Post
Guess Orygun farmers better get with the band wagon.
It appears to be way easier and less complex to be a farmer than it is to be a processor in Oregon.

info
__________________
OHA Capitol Chapter (Life Member)
RMEF Life Member, OR-FNAWS Life Member, Pheasants Forever, Inland Northwest Wildlife Council, NW Predator Hunters Association, OBH, Oregon Shed Hunters, BHA
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:58 AM   #40
oloutt
Cutthroat
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 36
Default Re: Hemp

I am tolerate with medical marijuana and cbd oil. Definitely there are many cons from using marijuana, but sometimes there are no alternatives. My wife suffers from severe anxiety and migraines and she has been treating with CBD oil for about a year with no problems and no side effects (more info on https://www.ncsm.nl/english/cbd-oil/purekanna ). She is much better now and this makes me happy. Being an avid hater of any kind of drugs, I understand it works.

Last edited by oloutt; 08-08-2019 at 12:30 AM.
oloutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:15 PM   #41
traks44
Ifish Nate
 
traks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pendleton/ Round up city
Posts: 3,299
Default Re: Hemp

From a farming standpoint there are putting it in around hermiston anywhere they can. Typical race to the bottom commodity. A couple few years of bigs crops and the price will be half or less.
__________________
"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" J.W.
traks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:57 PM   #42
Don G Baldi
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Salem/Little Italy
Posts: 10,310
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by traks44 View Post
From a farming standpoint there are putting it in around hermiston anywhere they can. Typical race to the bottom commodity. A couple few years of bigs crops and the price will be half or less.
There's already an overabundance of crop according to media reports. Legal growers have been caught selling their 'extra' across state lines.
__________________
Common sense isn't evenly distributed
Don G Baldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:16 PM   #43
garyk
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: On the BIG River, Columbia Co.
Posts: 15,356
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G Baldi View Post
There's already an overabundance of crop according to media reports. Legal growers have been caught selling their 'extra' across state lines.

That reference is to cannabis. Not hemp.



Hemp is being grown for its CBD content. It's akin to mint oil in that the amount produced per acre is small, the demand is strong and growing, thus the amount of acreage in Oregon being put into hemp. Fields near me that had grown brussel sprouts, squash, pumpkins and corn are being planted in hemp.
__________________
Welcome, to the days you've made.
IFisher 234

"Our best hatcheries, our most resilient, efficient and lasting hatcheries are in fact healthy rivers."

"Keep Public Lands Public - Now and Forever"
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #44
b ruff
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,138
Default

I hope they grow lots more hemp and the price goes down!
I've been taking CBD for the last six months every day, the kind with very little or no THC, and it's expensive!
$45 for a tiny little bottle of tincture.
b ruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:48 PM   #45
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico
Posts: 15,107
Default Re: Hemp

Gosh, I hope they are also harvesting the fiber. It is excellent stuff!
__________________
The language of God is science.
Bill Rogue V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #46
gettin' fishy
Ifish Nate
 
gettin' fishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: salem, oregon
Posts: 3,316
Default Re: Hemp

There are hemp fields all round Salem now. I know there is some down in southern Oregon as well. It's the new hot commodity.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
gettin' fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #47
Don G Baldi
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Salem/Little Italy
Posts: 10,310
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
That reference is to cannabis. Not hemp.



Hemp is being grown for its CBD content. It's akin to mint oil in that the amount produced per acre is small, the demand is strong and growing, thus the amount of acreage in Oregon being put into hemp. Fields near me that had grown brussel sprouts, squash, pumpkins and corn are being planted in hemp.
Ah yes, my mistake.
__________________
Common sense isn't evenly distributed
Don G Baldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #48
Cathunter1
Ifish Nate
 
Cathunter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,910
Default Re: Hemp

100K an acre ,cha ching
Cathunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #49
Root Hog or Die
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Land of Misfit Toys
Posts: 4,135
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by loper View Post
And now, for the rest of the story:

"Andrew Ross, a Marine who served in Afghanistan and Iraq, is facing 18 years to life in Oklahoma if convicted after he was arrested in January while providing security for a load of state-certified hemp from Kentucky. Ross and a colleague were riding in a van behind a semi-truck filled with the plant that ran a red light and was pulled over.

Ross said he provided police in Pawhuska, Oklahoma, with the state-issued license for the Kentucky farm that grew the hemp, the license for the Colorado lab that was buying it and chemical analysis paperwork for all 60 sacks of hemp that he said shows it was within federal guidelines for hemp.

That wasn’t enough for the officers. They tested the shipment and found it contained THC — although not how much — and arrested Ross, his colleague and the two truck drivers."

"Some samples sent to a DEA lab in Washington, D.C., came back within the legal range for THC, but several were over..." :O

“Part of it is hemp, and part of it is marijuana."

Pretty god-awful marijuana. It only tested at .4 or .5 percent THC, just barely above the .3 percent limit for hemp. Probably have to smoke the whole ******* truckload to get high.

https://www.newson6.com/story/399343...ased-from-jail
Root Hog or Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:42 PM   #50
STGRule
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
 
STGRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Oak Grove
Posts: 37,854
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Reservations View Post
Odor would be one!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't even know about that. It doesn't appear that hemp smells anything like cannabis. I know that skunk weed smell. I have been driving to work and back past fields for the last 6 weeks from my new house. Windows down almost every day. My brain finally registered a couple weeks ago that most of what I was driving past was not the nursery stock I had assumed after the plants got 4-5 feet tall. It doesn't smell at all that I can tell and I am driving on a road that is 20-30 feet from the plants. Acres and acres of it.
__________________
Former resident cat herder. And I have a cool crown.
Ifish Member # 943 (or 1426 in my other universe)
"Team Lutefisk"
STGRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:58 PM   #51
No Reservations
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bend Or
Posts: 1,805
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by STGRule View Post
I don't even know about that. It doesn't appear that hemp smells anything like cannabis. I know that skunk weed smell. I have been driving to work and back past fields for the last 6 weeks from my new house. Windows down almost every day. My brain finally registered a couple weeks ago that most of what I was driving past was not the nursery stock I had assumed after the plants got 4-5 feet tall. It doesn't smell at all that I can tell and I am driving on a road that is 20-30 feet from the plants. Acres and acres of it.


You must be downwind


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No Reservations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:47 AM   #52
baltz526
King Salmon
 
baltz526's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: lapine oregon
Posts: 22,786
Default Re: Hemp

The pot is starting to flower. My eyes are starting to burn, runny nose every day. It only gets worse for next 2 months.
__________________
I have been wrong once before. Just once mind you. It was for several years, Ok A decade or more. But just the once.
baltz526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:49 AM   #53
Ichthyolic
Tuna!
 
Ichthyolic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,063
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfeet View Post
YEESH! Sounds like I'm in one of them there foreign countries again!
Isn't that just ridiculous? Why there are felons who were incarcerated for attempted murder who don't serve anywhere near that kind of time!
__________________
Well it's all right, even if you're old and grey. Well it's all right, you still got something to say. Well it's all right, remember to live and let live. Well it's all right, the best you can do is forgive. End of the Line-The Traveling Wilburys
Ichthyolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:14 AM   #54
Fishfeet
King Salmon
 
Fishfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Foothills of the Cascades , Ore.
Posts: 8,502
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichthyolic View Post
Isn't that just ridiculous? Why there are felons who were incarcerated for attempted murder who don't serve anywhere near that kind of time!
Most all of the Asian countries I visited had a life in prison or death penalty for the stuff. But this is the USofA. Where it's legal in more and more states.
Wada hek are they thinking? And to a vet to boot.
__________________
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and exuberance!
Fishfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:46 AM   #55
Mountain Beaver
Chromer
 
Mountain Beaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Corvallis
Posts: 756
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by STGRule View Post
I don't even know about that. It doesn't appear that hemp smells anything like cannabis. I know that skunk weed smell. I have been driving to work and back past fields for the last 6 weeks from my new house. Windows down almost every day. My brain finally registered a couple weeks ago that most of what I was driving past was not the nursery stock I had assumed after the plants got 4-5 feet tall. It doesn't smell at all that I can tell and I am driving on a road that is 20-30 feet from the plants. Acres and acres of it.
Hemp odors in the field aren't terrible, but that's not where the problem lies; it's in the drying process. The crop is mostly grown in EFU zones and if the processing is done there, it's not much of an issue (unless you live downwind). When allowed near urban areas, it becomes a big problem, at least for a couple of months. Benton County is currently in the process of trying to deal with it. It is an allowed use in the Urban Industrial Zone, but causing problems with neighboring businesses. A big can worms that won't be easily solved. MB.
Mountain Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:01 AM   #56
Rickster
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,929
Default Re: Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltz526 View Post
The pot is starting to flower. My eyes are starting to burn, runny nose every day. It only gets worse for next 2 months.
Funny. The Willamette valley grass see crop has been doing that to me since I moved here at 5 years old in 1970.
__________________
There is no difference between black and white. Only right and wrong
Rosa Parks
Rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:41 AM   #57
whtelk
Ifish Nate
 
whtelk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,058
Default Re: Hemp

The price will drop when the product is at full production.... example : hazelnut farms have popped up everywhere and prices have dropped.
whtelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:42 PM   #58
BCFISHON1
Chromer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: BROADACRES, OR
Posts: 927
Default Re: Hemp

This reminds me to check my pot stocks.
__________________
FISH
BCFISHON1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:12 PM   #59
Don G Baldi
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Salem/Little Italy
Posts: 10,310
Default Re: Hemp

In today's news: "Neighbors of a proposed $15.5 million hemp drying and oil-processing facility are asking Marion County to deny its owners a conditional-use permit."

Seems the out of state company wants to build a 50k sqft storage building, a 15k sqft drying building, a 12k sqft processing building and others. The plan is to provide soil to bottle hemp squeezin's.


NIMBY rules!




.
__________________
Common sense isn't evenly distributed
Don G Baldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #60
roguesteelheader
Tuna!
 
roguesteelheader's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Shady Cove,Oregon
Posts: 1,532
Default Re: Hemp

The Rogue Valley now has over 5000 acres in hemp and growing by the day it is everywhere you look!!!!
__________________
Smack,smack in the fish box they go.
Never give up!!!!
Turn in a poacher 1 800 452 7888
Meet the Rogue in Shady Cove
roguesteelheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:34 AM.

Terms of Service
 
Page generated in 0.62192 seconds with 80 queries