Weird findings in the woods - Page 4 - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 04-25-2007, 09:49 PM   #181
RustySocket
Steelhead

Default Re: Weird findings in the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODACTION View Post
Weird thing in the woods, but at a ski resort, Bachelor (sp) My dad died in 1988, my wife and I were just married and did alot of snow sking. My mom gave me my dads wedding ring, a 1 karat diamond with a heavy gold setting.

I was wearing it on a day at Bachelor, we had been sking all morning, we stopped to have a samich and a beer at the lodge, I looked at my hand.....the ring was gone.

Now we had skied all over the place, I was sick, I had lost the ring, I looked in my glove.....not there. I was in tears, my dads ring was gone.

It was a custom ring, my wife was trying to calm me down, she said you can have new one made, well it just would not be the same to me.

I said let go home, she said, go to the 'lost in found" and ask ? so I did, the lady said you can come back in the spring an look, alot of people come back then to find things, maybe it will turn up. Yea, right.

Lets go home I said......! My wife says come on, cheer up, it's not the end of the world ! I was ready to spit up my lunch at this time. She says, lets go for one more run ! I said no, she says come on.

So we go one more run, black chair at the time, I blow down the hill and wait at the bottom of the run for my wife. She is taking her time, I was standing at the bottom, skis off and gettting kinda hot under the collar, not to mention sick to my stomach. Up to me she skis, she has tears in her eyes.....she says I found your ring !.....I first thought, real flippin funny Patty, she takes off her gloves, goes for her pocket and pulls out the ring !

Wow ! The rest of the story is that she stopped midway through the run to......I don't know, powder her nose ? she skis backwards to slow herself, looks down and sees a dark spot on the snow, takes her ski pole and flips the snow and uncovers the ring.....I don't know how this happened....but God was there.

20 years later, the story still is talked about (alot), how did that ring get back to us, me, ? a ski resort, tons of people ? Amazing to me.

Not really a story that fits this thread, but thought I would share it.
You were meant to have it....

RustySocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2007, 04:30 AM   #182
Freighter Bait
Steelhead

[quote=Orion;1504871]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freighter Bait View Post
Found a vacuum cleaner stuffed in a big hollow stump, 100 yards off the end of a deadend road, the cord was strung across a trail and tied to a tree,

That sounds like an ATV trap...

Orion
Definently wasn't an ATV trap, was a very narrow, foot, game trail.
Freighter Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:31 AM   #183
DTSportsman
Ifish Nate

One time in 1990 I found a Bull Elk and I killed it! haven't found one I could legally kill since.

Acts 10:10-15, Romans 10:9
DTSportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2007, 07:19 AM   #184
ralphie
Coho

My buddy and I used to hike a lot around Marion Lake. On one trip we hiked down along Marion Creek and found, placed neatly around a huge stump, about 40 pairs of shoes. The oldest were easily from the 30's up to a newer pair of Nike's. All different sizes, types of shoes. We had stepped away from the creek about 100-200 feet to have lunch when we found the shoes, way off the beaten path. Gave me the creeps.....we checked it out and left.

Not as cool as some of these stories!
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:19 AM   #185
bait dunker

Smile Re: Weird findings in the woods

i found a 22 pistol on the trail to marion lake off to the side sitting on a stump with a HUGE k-bar knife, has like a 12" blade.

when i was about 14 i was staying the summer with my uncle on bonner lake in northern idaho. he had a nice two story cabin right on the lake and id fish everyday. there used to be an old resort on the side of the lake, i think it was called blakes, but it hadnt been running for several years. late one night across the lake we saw fire and heard screaming. we jumped in his pickup and drove around the lake to find about a dozen young girls (mid teens to early twentys) dancing naked around a big bond fire to merle haggard and hank williams jr. drunk as can be. my uncle being the mountain man he was encouraged me to have a couple beers and said at that age id always rememeber it, and i have! there were no other houses on tha lake but about a week later it was rumored that they were a coven of witches, but i dont think so.
bait dunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #186
Rauly
King Salmon

In the late 80's elk hunting in the Saddle Mtn. unit my hunting partiner and I came across a leanto. It was made from fir boughs and other natual vegitation. It was concealed well. Under it was a sleeping bag. We noticed that something was in the bag so we looked. We found a .22 rifle and a wallet with a prison ID card in it. We didn't have to go far to turn it in to the cops. My buddy was a cop. Still made me alittle nerveous hunting around there.

Rauly
Member #618
LUCK is: Preparation Meeting Opportunity
TEAM: Snood Doods
TEAM: Pop Tart
Big Fish Make Me Happy
Rauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #187
pythonwill
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bait dunker View Post
i found a 22 pistol on the trail to marion lake off to the side sitting on a stump with a HUGE k-bar knife, has like a 12" blade.

Similer to my find
about 25 yrs ago I was hunting WAY up on Salmonberry Rd.loop. I found this nice clearing to sit and watch. I walk up to a stump to sit on and there was a large hunting knife sticking in the stump. and laying beside it was a belt with a holster & 22 pistol & a sheath for the knife. The belt had a broken buckel on it. It looked like someone had sat down to fix it and forgot it somehow. The knife was a bit rusty but the gun was in a enclosed holster and was in great shape.

I once also gave someone a show in the woods. I had my girlfriend with me bowhunting a few years back and she wanted to pick chantrels while I hunted. so she went on her way threw the woods. later on in the day I went out and found her and,,, Well when your out in the woods with a cute gal sometimes things happen well when we were finished & pulled my pants up and as soon as I did I turned around to see a guy in full camo standing there watching my girlfrind get dressed I asked him how long he was standing there and he just chuckled and said "Way too long"
I havent seen him post on here yet so maybe it wasnt one of you guys

Last edited by pythonwill; 05-12-2007 at 10:09 AM.
pythonwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:39 PM   #188
Rauly
King Salmon

I promise I won't tell anyone.............since you already did.
Member #618
LUCK is: Preparation Meeting Opportunity
TEAM: Snood Doods
TEAM: Pop Tart
Big Fish Make Me Happy
Rauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:56 PM   #189
Flying Roast Beef

Wow lets see, lots of arrowheads. We used to hunt a place in Utah that was obviously a winter camp for the natives. We found shards and whole heads very often. My grandmother has a whole vase full. This canyon is private and we had and still have if we so desire exclusive access for five generations. It's just too far to drive for a deer now. There is a plane wreck on top of one of the peaks. It is an old one and has been there for at least forty years. One time when I was about ten, I was hunting with my dad and we stumbled upon a cougar carcass. It had been there all summer as all that was left were bones and some hide and hair. We set the skull up in a piece of sage. I kind of wish I had tucked it into my pack. I killed my first deer on that mountain. Wow the memories. We used to go back every July to fish the reservoir at a camp ground about twenty miles away. We would venture up into the hunting area to look around a pick up arrowheads and scout a bit. One time we hiked up to a spring that we used to drink out of and found a dead bear. No signs of trauma. He was just old and dropped right there. Another time we were there in September and took the dogs for a walk. We jumped a very nice five point bull elk walking in. We'd never seen an elk there before in five generations. Ok I'm rambling now, I'll conclude by saying I found a rusted out revolver of unknown origins while fishing on the Southern coast of Oregon once. It is now enshrined on my cousins mantle.
Flying Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:08 PM   #190
Wak
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonwill View Post
Similer to my find

I once also gave someone a show in the woods. I had my girlfriend with me bowhunting a few years back and she wanted to pick chantrels while I hunted. so she went on her way threw the woods. later on in the day I went out and found her and,,, Well when your out in the woods with a cute gal sometimes things happen well when we were finished & pulled my pants up and as soon as I did I turned around to see a guy in full camo standing there watching my girlfrind get dressed I asked him how long he was standing there and he just chuckled and said "Way too long"
I havent seen him post on here yet so maybe it wasnt one of you guys
You must really enjoy the fresh air. I seem to remember stumbling across you and a female enjoying the outdoors behind a building in the middle of small town also.
Wak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:51 PM   #191
PIR8 Hook
Ifish Nate

Talking Re: Weird findings in the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bait dunker View Post
we jumped in his pickup and drove around the lake to find about a dozen young girls (mid teens to early twentys) dancing naked around a big bond fire to merle haggard and hank williams jr. drunk as can be. my uncle being the mountain man he was encouraged me to have a couple beers and said at that age id always rememeber it, and i have! there were no other houses on tha lake but about a week later it was rumored that they were a coven of witches, but i dont think so.
I have heard that witches don't dance to Merle & Hank Jr.
They like Barry Manilow...........
Old 05-13-2007, 10:29 AM   #192
ajfishfinder
Sturgeon

About 15 years ago (back in the good old days of east or west hunting) we found a full camp in the middle of nowhere. More than creapy. It was a HUGE, 30 foot or larget army surplus tent and outhouse set up. This was a couple of weeks prior to deer season so we first figured it was bow hunters. The weird part was there was no tracks from trucks or pack animals and this was 2-3 miles in from any road. It was set up in a tiny grass clearing that was surrounded by the nastiest pole patches around. The way we came in took forever just picking our way through the tight poles and wind falls. We could not imagine how in the heck someone got this stuff in there. We didn't look inside for fear of finding someone like Claude Dallas. This was during the time that he was on the loose after escaping from prison in Ontario. He was supposed to be capable of doing 40 miles a day carrying a 100lbs on his back. He was also a master quick draw and weapons expert. We kept our distance and stayed quiet. No need to wake someone that probably didn't want to be surprised by strangers. Still wonder about that place now and then and get a chill in the spine.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:39 PM   #193
TonTo
Tuna!

Quote:
The weird part was there was no tracks from trucks or pack animals and this was 2-3 miles in from any road
Ran into a huge camp way up the Green river on the north shore,between Vanson Peak and Goat Mtn.No roads in the bottom of the valley.Two huge tents,wood stoves,couple cords splitt fiwewood....etc.Turns out,after talking to another hunter,this camp belonged to some Weyerhaeuser CEOs.There was a helliport just above the site,the whole thing was flown in.Then this hunter pointed out the cables to me,seems they had brought in some high climbers and they had high lead cables strung all over the place so in the event they killed an elk it could be rigged and flew via cable right back into camp.The disturbing part was this was right on the border of the Margret/Winston units and they had alot of cable strung into the Margret.This camp was also set up at a time weyehauser had all the gates shut down tight leading into the area even though this was actually on public land .
Old 05-13-2007, 07:11 PM   #194
pythonwill
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wak View Post

You must really enjoy the fresh air. I seem to remember stumbling across you and a female enjoying the outdoors behind a building in the middle of small town also.

:o:o:o

What can I say
pythonwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:18 PM   #195
Paddlefish

Well, the items themselves weren't so weird, but the timing was amazing.

It was a week-long canoeing and fishing excursion for four on the Wenaha. Our self-appointed "quartermaster" (he was retired; he had the time) arranged all the food and kitchen gear.

Day 1: Our quartermaster was "old school." No freeze-dried yuppie backpacking food for him. We had canned goods. Hey, what's a bit more weight when you're hauling it with two full-size canoes? (True, but apparently he ignored the multi-mile portage into the 1,400-foot-deep canyon while carrying all canoes and provisions. That's another story.)

We soon discovered that we had (1) canned goods, and (2) no can opener.

One of our party sacrificed his sheath knife for the "Samurai sous-chef" routine, performing ritual stabbings into steel cans in order to perform crude "lidectomies."

Day 3: Quartermaster and I were on foot, fishing, taking a short-cut across a wooded peninsula from one pool to another. OF COURSE, he walked up to a tree . . . with a nail in it, six feet off the ground . . . with a can opener hung on the nail.

Day 5: It rained, steadily, ALL day. Mid-June? Northeast Oregon? Soggy doggies. Fortunately, it was warm or we'd have had some hypothermia issues, perhaps.

At day's end we found a good campsite and desperately needed a fire to warm ourselves, get a hot meal, and, perhaps, dry some wet clothing. Since it had been soggy all day, the word went out: "Look under trees, logs, brush, etc. to find fire materials which aren't too wet to burn."

Quartermaster, looking under a low bush, found a stashed plastic tarp whose area I estimated at about 1/4 acre in size. We lashed up a wilderness area shelter equivalent to the Astrodome, pitched all the tents under it, built a fire at its edge, and recovered nicely.

How does he do that?

Last edited by Paddlefish; 05-16-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Paddlefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:17 PM   #196
nmbrinkman
Cutthroat

When I was an early teens, my dad, best friend, his dad and I went camping on the north side of Government Island on the Columbia River. We were camped on the furthest north spot where the sand began. One day, we hiked into the middle of the island and found some open areas where cows were grazing. Upon further inspection we found a cabin. The area seemed pretty desolate of human activity other than the "greenhouse" that was the cabin. I was too young to know but as I got older my dad had told me it was full of marijuana. Fond memories...
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:53 PM   #197
micah
Chromer

Found an old fiberglass bass boat that someone dumped off just a couple weeks ago. Had no motor and it was just sitting on the ground a ways off the road. Im just wondering how it got there cause it was heavy and there were no tire tracks leading to it.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:59 PM   #198
Critter Getter
Chromer

I was scuba diving about 15 yrs. ago and found a speargun that someone lost along the south Jetty.
I was elk hunting in eastern Oregon about 5 yrs. ago . We had about 8" of snow in the area where we parked the pickup. After returning to the truck after our last day of hunting about dark. I took off my outer coat and loaded up and headed for camp. When we got there I happened to notice that my watch was missing appearently came off when taking off my coat. Well it wasn't worth driving back to get it as it was a pretty cheap watch anyway and I had it for 5 or 6 years already anyway. So what the heck. The next year during deer season we were back in the same area for a hunt and we parked close to where we parked the year before during elk when I lost the watch. As I walked by that area I thought what the heck I'll look around here in the tall grass to see if I could find my watch because I thought the twistoflex band my still be good if I could find it. Guess what there lay my watch there in the tall grass and it was still running and had the correct time still on it only a minute or 2 off. Its a wonder we didn't drive over it or someone else during that years time.And it wasn't a Timex but it took a licking laying there all winter long in the snow and hot sun of summer. Still use that watch band I think it brings me luck. LOL
Critter Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:52 AM   #199
Abalone
King Salmon

I was digging in my garden and found womens old timex watch. 60's vintage at least. It was incased in dirt, the band was missing. I cleaned it up, wound the spring and " It was still ticking ". Gave it to my young daughter and she soon lost it. Maybe Thirty years from now someone will find it again. I wonder if they will remember the timex slogan ?

" It's still ticking "
Old 05-18-2007, 01:35 PM   #200
PIR8 Hook
Ifish Nate

The watch stories remind me of one that I'd never believe if I hadn't seen it myself. (not woods stories either)

My stepfather was given a Seko watch by my mother on their wedding day. He had a small, sport, crab pot line off the mouth of Sandlake. After a long period of stormy weather he went to check the pots and one was sanded-in. He fought with it to no avail and popped a pin on the band of his watch and to Davey Jones locker it went. Several days later he called a friend who was a scuba diver and took him to the pot to try to dig it out for him. As the diver was digging in the sand he FOUND the watch...NOT running but it had run for several days by the calandar. Talk about a needle in a haystack....

When I was diving at Cape Lookout, I found that my anchor was hooked on another line jammed between some rocks...I followed it to the other end and found a 3 1/2 foot tall, stainless steel, folding anchor & run of heavy chain. I freed it and tied it to my anchor line. Glad I was diving that day with a buddy that is 6'4" when we hoisted both anchors & chains
Old 05-20-2007, 06:53 PM   #201
Nuf
Steelhead

Another "lost" watch tale. Fishing the Clack up by Estacada in the late spring after the water was down, I found a dirt covered small tackle box and nearby a Timex Ironman completely dirt covered. It was lodged in the willows on the river side. I took it home, washed off the muck, let it dry a few days (some moisture was behind the face), and continue to wear it to this day, 3 years later! I wonder if the tackle and watch were lost by the same person or different events and the water current just deposited them near each other?

Nuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:05 PM   #202
bait dunker

Smile Re: Weird findings in the woods

i didnt find it but, 3 years ago i was hunting with my buddy up in the abiqua basin, we walked back to the pickup in a pullout and leaning against a stump was a savage rifle. i know it couldnt have been there when we started our hunt because i "watered" the stump before we started. i swear it wasnt there. we put a found add on a bulletin board in silverton but never heard a word. it wasnt a nice rifle by any means, dirty cracked stock, moisture in the scope, but it was free! my buddy put an aftermarket synthetic stock and a good scope on it and it shoots well! too bad i wasnt paying more attention!
bait dunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #203
MtNative

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntnCoug View Post
A long time ago I was fishing the Yellowstone River in Eastern Montana and thought I had a snag so I tried to break my line off. It started to come so I reeled it in and found I had caught a Ruger .22 pistol loaded and still in its holster with a belt on it. I turned it in to the sheriffs dept. A year or two later they returned it to me becuase they couldnt locate the owner.

Last year while hunting in eastern WA I found a 4 point skull about six feet up in a pine sappling. It looked like the sappling at began growing through the eye socket and carried the skull up with it. I have never seen anything like it.
HuntnCoug, your trophy pistol from the Yellowstone is still flying around my garage. I saw it this morning.
MtNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:14 AM   #204
Dave Smith
Sturgeon

OK, here's one: While wading through a swamp checking my traps, I come across a HANGLIDER. A complete hanglider, zipped-up inside a case. I talk with the owner and he is more than happy to have me haul it away. Like the idiot that I was back then, and ofcourse still am, I did what any responsible sub-adult would do: put it together and jumped off a cliff. My friend Dale Hert and I assembled it with no instructions- even had a piece or two left over when we were done. We made this hidious harness out of rope and started jumping off small hills and just basically had a blast with it. Miraculously we never got really hurt. Dave

2010 appointee Oregon GOOSE TASK FORCE
Dave Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:18 AM   #205
Wreckless
King Salmon

BTT- I've REALLY enjoyed these stories, thanks all!!!

Dave, What about the time you saw the people wearing black hoods, chanting.......That STILL sends a chill down my spine!!!!

Another story. My dad found a bear / Cougar sized trap one day. It had been there so long that the log it was stapled to (the staples were still there) was a pile of dust....The stories that trap could tell. the pan was stamped 188? Sewall Newhouse 4 1/2 I think. It had sprung years before.

Another one. My uncle walked up on what he thought was a camp fire that was still smoldering. It turned out to be a twisted log smoldering from a lightning strike. He smothered it in dirt and kept hunting.......

More please.

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:08 AM   #206
RODACTION
King Salmon

Twisted log makes me remember elk hunting 2 years ago, i had been working a draw for 3 days or so, seeing elk everyday, and off in the distance about 1/2 mile smoke comming from the hill side.

I thought maybe it was just a hunter on stand with a little fire ? Well i had to go investigate, it turned out to be a downed snag about 4 to 5 feet in diameter and 60+ feel long. It was burning on the inside about 30 feet into the log, with the outside of the log intact, it was super hot and put off a noise like a little jet engine.

The next afternoon me and my hunting partners went back to check it out, very interesting, still burning and making noise.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:27 AM   #207
ICHTHYDEMON

A friend of mine lost a handmade knife given to him by his late grandfather. He had bumped up against something and must have popped the sheath open.

When my friend found he had lost the knife he spent a couple days looking for it before giving up.

About 5 seasons later my dad walks into to camp carrying a knife with no sheath,said he found it laying next to a tree. He set it on a camp table and didn't think any more about it.

My friend comes back to camp and sees the knife sitting on the table and just about breaks into tears.

We all wonder what the heck is going on until he tells us about the knife he lost years ago.

It turns out my dad was in the right place at the right time and found his lost knife.
ICHTHYDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:27 AM   #208
bajadan2000
Ifish Nate

This happened about 20 years ago while on an elk hunt scouting hike into one of the roadless side canyons off of the Kilches River.

About a mile in I found a circle of fresh cornmeal on the ground. It was about 8' in diameter and had symbols inside that I did not understand.

1/2 mile further, stepping out of a thicket, I came face to face with a very hairy tattooed man that was shirtless. At his feet where two army duffle bags, both stuffed full, one had a machete attached to it.

Of course you know what I was thinking, however, after talking to him for about an hour, I believed his story. He was a Viet Nam war vet that could not take living in the city and now lived somewhere up in the hills. He would not tell me where, however, told me to go to a certain spot, give a yell and he would come out and visit. He admitted to making the cornmeal circles. Something about making a spiritual connection with the Elk??

Once a month he made the hike out to the road to meet a family member that would re-supply him. He was hiking back in from one such meeting, (hence full duffle bags). We became comfortable with each other, probably because of our common Viet Nam war service connection. I asked his permission to hike further into his cannon. He agreed, since he was heading that way I offered to carry one of his duffle bags. When he let me pick up the bag with the machete, I knew all was well.

I made several hikes into this canyon and found places where he would leave clothing. Even ran into a family member on the road one day leaving him supplies, however, I never did see him again.

Last edited by bajadan2000; 06-02-2007 at 01:37 PM.
bajadan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:10 PM   #209
Don Becker
King Salmon

I'm bumping this thread to the top - - it's been too GREAT a thread to let it die . . . . 'must be some more, interesting stories out there. How about you folks who are new to the forum? Don

Don Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:23 PM   #210
baltz526
King Salmon

great thread. here is one: just west of wickiup reservoir one august day bear tracking, near a wallow. i found the fresh tracks of a sow with cubs in the dry talc like road dirt. one of the cubs left a perfect track, you could see the fingerprint type ridges on the tracks. one foot had a thumb with clear fingerprint ridges.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:16 AM   #211
billc_sbio
Sturgeon

One of the strangest and most incredible things I've ever seen was...

One time I was hunting on a ranch that was just below the Nat'l Forest Boundary in Chesnimnus. It was just after first light and we were the only ones that we knew about in the area anywhere around there this day.

It was very cold and had snowed some a few days previously but it seemed the grass was still pretty tall and dry. There wasn't any snow still on the ground where I was hunting.

I came around a corner of some trees on the edge of a small draw and there before me was a section of a large dead tree lying on the ground and it was totally ON FIRE!

I mean this thing was probably 30 feet long and about 3 feet in diameter. It was large enough that if it weren't totally engulfed in flames you could walk up and sit on.

There was no sign of how it had been ignited. It was burning full length and burning like crazy. What was so strange that here, in this big expanse of dried grass, only the grass about 18" all around it had been burned, blackened to the soil. How and why the entire meadow wasn't on fire was beyond me!

It was so strange that I went and found one of my nearby buddies and took him over and showed it to him.

It was so unusual that still to this day I remember seeing that and it's just as much a mystery to me now as it was then.

There are some things you see sometimes that'll stay with you forever. That was one I won't forget.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:46 AM   #212
canes_venatici
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by billc_sbio View Post
One of the strangest and most incredible things I've ever seen was...

One time I was hunting on a ranch that was just below the Nat'l Forest Boundary in Chesnimnus. It was just after first light and we were the only ones that we knew about in the area anywhere around there this day.

It was very cold and had snowed some a few days previously but it seemed the grass was still pretty tall and dry. There wasn't any snow still on the ground where I was hunting.

I came around a corner of some trees on the edge of a small draw and there before me was a section of a large dead tree lying on the ground and it was totally ON FIRE!

I mean this thing was probably 30 feet long and about 3 feet in diameter. It was large enough that if it weren't totally engulfed in flames you could walk up and sit on.

There was no sign of how it had been ignited. It was burning full length and burning like crazy. What was so strange that here, in this big expanse of dried grass, only the grass about 18" all around it had been burned, blackened to the soil. How and why the entire meadow wasn't on fire was beyond me!

It was so strange that I went and found one of my nearby buddies and took him over and showed it to him.

It was so unusual that still to this day I remember seeing that and it's just as much a mystery to me now as it was then.

There are some things you see sometimes that'll stay with you forever. That was one I won't forget.

If that wasn't in the Chesnimnus Unit, I'd say my grandfather was there. I don't think he hunted much over that way. He was a Murderers Creek, North Side, Desolation, and Beulah hunter. He would light trees on fire to keep warm in the snow. He told me that they would never burn far, just the stump would burn for days...
canes_venatici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:16 AM   #213
BrushApe
Tuna!

As best as I can remember, many years ago in the Murderers Creek Unit during elk season, my dad sat down to have lunch next an old snag. He lit a small fire to "toast" his sandwich. When he got ready to move on he put the fire out and continued his hunt. Seems the fire he built had been over a pitchy root or something. He came back later and the fire had rekindled and had spread to the trunk of the old busted off snag. He along with my brother tried to put the fire out to no avail. Snag burnt like a roman candle the rest of that season. Dad to this day still revists "his" chared snag. Nothing else around it was touched.

Ba
BrushApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:20 AM   #214
in 'em

I've ran across a few things...but the scariest turned out to be a Vietnam Vet's self-made base where he reinacts his memories. Now keep in mind, I was like 20 years old and had no idea what this place was until I looked some stuff up and showed pictures to people later...
I was still hunting through old growth forest (technically second growth, but big trees) on a slightly foggy, but calm and quiet day. I noticed an opening in the trees that I had never seen before and headed that way. As I got closer, I noticed a large tarp and empty flag pole in the middle of the circular opening which was the size of a large baseball infield. Being close to Dallas, I immediately thought KKK, ralley's, burnings and other things I'd heard were still surprisingly active underground, and the hairs on my neck raised big time! I was certain no one was there, but I kept my distance and studied the area with my binocs. Piles of razorwire with beer cans attached to it surrounded the entire grounds as a fence, there was a large shield shaped sign that read something like "navaho, 2nd calvary division...." with a horses head and a sword painted on it. Then all the way around the circle, underground forts were built with roofs and windows to shoot out of. And right when I thought I couldn't be any more freaked, I heard what I thought was yelling, then dogs barking!!! I took off from the edge of the compound and sprinted into the trees about 50 yards away and froze. My already nervous mind started racing thinking there were cameras and someone knew I was there and that they were sending the dogs after me. I didn't move a muscle until I saw 2 dogs running through the compound toward me! I flipped the safety off as they were on a dead sprint, but then stopped suddenly, right where I had been standing seconds earlier. I slowly started easing backward as they sniffed around...one was a pitbull and the other was a similar sized dog. I thought I was gonna have to pop one if they sniffed their way too close, but I was able to back away and take off before they did...I sure watched my trail though until I got back!
I later went back with 2 others, felt a little safer, and went inside the fence and looked around. Not too much, it was still freaky, but it was crazy how much time went into this place! Still gives me the shivers, but it's a little more comforting knowing it's a war thing and not something more dangerous or illegal.

Last edited by in 'em; 06-28-2007 at 09:28 AM.
in 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:39 AM   #215
Ildor
Steelhead

In'em-

I know the place you're referring to. I've been to that spot, thankfully there was nobody there. Pretty creepy. Another time I was not too far from there and heard automatic weapons fire coming from that spot. There's an old skid road just a stones throw from there. If you follow it down the hill to the North there's an old deserted cabin. Some 'ol boy used to live in that dinky thing by himself and raised champion hounds. That was about 20 years ago. Follow that road down the hill a little farther and there's a grave site that's maintained, there's a bench there, a bunch of decorations hanging from the trees around it. Interesting spot to say the least.
Ildor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:51 AM   #216
Texascat

We were hog hunting in SE Texas and we came across a KKK gathering cerimony thing?
Texascat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #217
Abalone
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascat View Post
We were hog hunting in SE Texas and we came across a KKK gathering cerimony thing?

Do they still do that ??
Old 06-28-2007, 02:30 PM   #218
Texascat

I guess? Every now and then you will see them off the side of highways protesting, but I have never ran into any of them in the woods.
Texascat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #219
LuckyStrike
Chromer

I have come across marijuana grows, railroad beds with rails (narrow gauge) in the middle of a stand of third growth fir with 60-80 foot trees but the weirdest was in a huge clearcut I was glassing I noticed a rock wall at the farthest point in the clearcut. I put the glasses on the rock and saw what appeared to be a stove pipe coming out of a wood wall!

My son and I hiked over to the spot and it was complete with a set of metal bunk beds and a pot belly stove. Appeared to be an old camp, maybe from the 40s. There were old tin cans that had been opened up with a kinife. The cut was just a couple of years old and other than skid trails, there was no drivable way into the rock wall when we were there. The road was probably 3-400 yards away.

LS
LuckyStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #220
StevenB
Halibut

Two more wierd things have come to mind.

1. In 1971 went on a deer hunt late season near Zig Zag and Brightwood region. The army was doing some war training. Saw some firepower that day. Some young soldiers giving us the peace sign too.

2. Tha log on fire reminded me of a quiet day in the forest. It was my first day out archery hunting deer. I was in the Alsea unit. The air was still and all was very quiet in the woods except the sound of mee trying to sneak around.

I witnessed a small rock slide that knocked down a dead tree. First thing that came to mind was ... This can't happen every day hunting to be sure. Have not seen it happen again since that time in 1971. I guess that sums up the wierd things of 1971 for me..
Old 06-29-2007, 03:51 PM   #221
2LEYS

There is a 1946 Globe Swift airplane at the bottom of Fish Lake south west of Roseburg. It is in the Rogue-Umpqua Divide Wilderness area and cannot be retrieved by mechanical means.

In the winter of 1949 a pilot made an emergency landing on what he thought was a meadow. When the ice melted the plane sank to the bottom. That was the story I had read once before. The article below says that the plane was burned and melted through the ice. A guy bought the rights to the plane about 10 years ago and is trying to get the plane out.

It used to be visible on a clear day but the guy made an illegal attempt to get it out and dropped it into 100 feet of water and you can't see it anymore.

The third article from the bottom of this link has more details.
http://www.wildernesswatch.org/newsletters/march02.html

Earlier this year a Cessna went down in the same area. The Pilot was rescued. Not sure if it was in the wilderness area or not but, if it was then the plane should still be up there.

Last edited by 2LEYS; 06-29-2007 at 03:55 PM.
2LEYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:54 PM   #222
2LEYS

One time we were driving down a road and came to a sharp turn in the road just above the highway.

On the indide of the corner there was a pizza box in a tree that said "SOMEDAY I WILL FIND OUT WHO SHOT MY DOG." Then as we rounded the corner and saw another pizza box with the same message and there was a dead hound dog hanging by it's back legs.
2LEYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:03 PM   #223
Chug
Ifish Nate

Nothing real special.. Just odd... Would like to know the history on it. From the age of the road bed & the stump.. guessing few years 5 to 10 maybe?

This was up in the Tillamook forest, just outside of Foss. Did a dble look seeing the shape on the side of the road.

Them Beavers are good!!! But Dang.. they are really good!!!:grin::grin:

Chug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:08 AM   #224
Nuf
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LEYS View Post
There is a 1946 Globe Swift airplane at the bottom of Fish Lake south west of Roseburg. It is in the Rogue-Umpqua Divide Wilderness area and cannot be retrieved by mechanical means.

In the winter of 1949 a pilot made an emergency landing on what he thought was a meadow. When the ice melted the plane sank to the bottom. That was the story I had read once before. The article below says that the plane was burned and melted through the ice.
Must have been where Clive Cussler got his idea for "Vixen 03", published 1979.

Nuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:36 PM   #225
sinker
Tuna!

Hope no one has found my wife and I in the woods. or that they don't in the future, LOL.
the camo dude standing there watching would be pretty creepy

Buddy and me were up wandering around the woods when were teenagers and about 100 yards from the nearest skid road down over a hill surrounded by 40 year old trees was a 57 or so chevy, think it was a 2 door??
I need to head back up there and see if it's still there. Could be some serious coin sitting there rusting away in the woods.

My mom and her friend used to buy douglas fir cones for weyerhauser and a small seed company in Vancouver. One year they were up picking cones and found a pile of rocks that looked like a shallow grave. Freaked them out and they took off. Was up in the middle of nowhere (About 30 miles east of Enumclaw and way up on a ridge) so they didn't want to call the cops unless they were sure. They head back up a few months later but couldn't get there due to the snow. So they sit around all winter wondering what it was, head back up in the spring and it was a clearcut, never could find it again.

A guy in high school was in the same general area and found a pretty decomposed body, was sure no one would believe him so he grabs himself and arm to take back out to show people he was telling the truth. :shocked:

Last edited by sinker; 07-08-2007 at 03:37 PM. Reason: spelling
sinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:09 PM   #226
BrushApe
Tuna!

This is more of -"WHAT WAS I THINKING?????????????" Was deer hunting in the Tillamook area in 1975. While hiking along a very steep hillside in a patch of old growth, I felt the ground move under me. I quickly stepped back and found I had stepped on a VW size boulder, flat across the top. I stepped on and off that boulder, rocking it back and forth. Suddenly it gave way and down the canyon it went. Saw it once go airborne 40-60 feet smacking the side of an old growth fir, ripping the bark off. Boulder continued down the mountain, nothing was going to stop it, sounded like a runaway frieght train. Just glad there was no one below me or any roads, could have been a disaster. Things dumb kids will do!!!!!!!!!!!
BrushApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:16 PM   #227
sinker
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushApe View Post
This is more of -"WHAT WAS I THINKING?????????????" Was deer hunting in the Tillamook area in 1975. While hiking along a very steep hillside in a patch of old growth, I felt the ground move under me. I quickly stepped back and found I had stepped on a VW size boulder, flat across the top. I stepped on and off that boulder, rocking it back and forth. Suddenly it gave way and down the canyon it went. Saw it once go airborne 40-60 feet smacking the side of an old growth fir, ripping the bark off. Boulder continued down the mountain, nothing was going to stop it, sounded like a runaway frieght train. Just glad there was no one below me or any roads, could have been a disaster. Things dumb kids will do!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm 35 and would LOVE to see that still. LOL
sinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #228
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushApe View Post
Sounds like my friends and I. We were chuckar hunting on the Malheur river breaks. Big round rock on a rim, hmm....wonder if it will roll, thump, thump...thump.....then the sound of wire stretching and then *****!:shocked: Landed right between the rails on the rail road bed. We hunted on down the canyon and then started sweating that we might derail a train. We had to return that way and it took all four of us to get it off the tracks, good thing it was round.

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:02 AM   #229
jvp
King Salmon

man made cave for making moonshine that was just down the road from an old stagecoach stop.

rock walls that just run across scab rock flats for about hundred yard for no apparent reason no other fencing around. found a couple 50 miles apart

pickup trucks with fully armed natives out for a days/nights hunting. seems their provisions were bullets, cream soda and whishkey. this i have encountered many times and some provisions change like coke for cream soda beer for whiskey

poorly built rock houses inhabited BY FREAKY NAKED PEOPLE from california. had to stop and ask where they came from. thought maybe aliens and i was right southern flatlander aliens.

i guess this isn't really unusual in comparison
Old 07-13-2007, 12:52 PM   #230
TrapperJohn
Steelhead

What the odds of this happening? The yarn doesn’t really fit in the “weird” category, but is sure is unusual.

A couple of years ago I was pheasant hunting and working a ditch line on a big spread in Klamath County when I spotted something orange way ahead of me. I eventually worked my way up to it, and found that it was a weather balloon. I thought that was pretty cool, as I had never seen one before. I gathered it up and took it home. I sent the payload thingy back to NOAA.

Two weeks latter, I was on the backside of Aspen Butte (west of Klamath Falls) grouse hunting. I was in some very heavy cover, working my way along a creek bed, and hid a bad stretch of blow-downs. As I detoured around the fallen trees, I caught a flash of orange ahead of me. You guessed it … another weather balloon!

I haven’t come across one since. If I do, I’m going to start looking over my shoulder a lot more.

Last edited by TrapperJohn; 07-13-2007 at 12:57 PM.
TrapperJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:03 PM   #231
toas243

My best friend/hunting/Fishing Buddy Don P He`s a great guy and good to just hang out with
toas243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #232
Don Becker
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by toas243 View Post
My best friend/hunting/Fishing Buddy Don P He`s a great guy and good to just hang out with

Don Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #233
jvp
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
What the odds of this happening? The yarn doesn’t really fit in the “weird” category, but is sure is unusual.

A couple of years ago I was pheasant hunting and working a ditch line on a big spread in Klamath County when I spotted something orange way ahead of me. I eventually worked my way up to it, and found that it was a weather balloon. I thought that was pretty cool, as I had never seen one before. I gathered it up and took it home. I sent the payload thingy back to NOAA.

Two weeks latter, I was on the backside of Aspen Butte (west of Klamath Falls) grouse hunting. I was in some very heavy cover, working my way along a creek bed, and hid a bad stretch of blow-downs. As I detoured around the fallen trees, I caught a flash of orange ahead of me. You guessed it … another weather balloon!

I haven’t come across one since. If I do, I’m going to start looking over my shoulder a lot more.

found one around deep creek/head of the williamson in k county. must be the landing zone lol
Old 07-17-2007, 08:00 AM   #234
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Back in the mid 70s I found an old shack.It was built just back from a creek.It had been built out of cinder blocks,and was built into a hillside then completely backfilled with dirt.There were a bunch of old cans in it and a rusty old single bed frame.Just 1 small hole in the roof to get into it.It was probably about 10x10 or a little bigger.With maybe a 7 foot ceiling.Had lots of brush growing up around it.I was hunting and noticed a hole in the ground.Thats how I found it.Could have been a disaster if somebody stepped into it on accident.

I talked to a few old timers about it.A couple knew about it.1 of them said it was an old trappers shack.Seemed pretty fancy for that.Another told me an old war vet built it and stayed there.

I havent been back there in 20 years or so.Its about 8 or 10 miles behind a locked gate now.May have to take a bike ride one of these days and check it out.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:09 AM   #235
Abalone
King Salmon

Hole in the ground ? Twice now I have been walking along a creek and stepped into a beaver den. That could be dangerous. The first time I dropped all the way to my bottom with only one leg. Lucky I didn't break something. I have been back there a couple of times and the hole got bigger, big enough to shine a flashlight inside. Those dens get pretty big. Big enough to make a shelter and dry enough to stay warm.....
Old 07-17-2007, 10:41 AM   #236
Hawk
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abalone View Post
Those dens get pretty big. Big enough to make a shelter and dry enough to stay warm.....
Just you and your fuzzy bunkmate that comes in through the underwater entrance! Now that would be funny!
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #237
Abalone
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Just you and your fuzzy bunkmate that comes in through the underwater entrance! Now that would be funny!

I love beaver..... don't you know.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #238
waggle
Steelhead

found a 50 dollar bill folded into a square on the ground....it was so wired, out in the middle of nowhere and i woulda thought no one else had ever been there.
waggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:53 PM   #239
Norski
Sturgeon

Back in the early 70's, we took horses into Hell Canyon for a deer hunting trip, jumped of at Hat Point, some where going down, I lost my wallet, we saw on one all the time we were there, a plane flew over, ranger checking hunters in the canyon, anyway on the way out I looked every where to see if I could find it, no luck, I drove back to Helvasha, had to borrow money from my buddy to get home, I was not happy, yea nice 4 point buck, but no wallet.
3 years later, I get a phone call from a lady, she asked if I lost anything, I said my mind, she asked if I was ever in Hell Canyon, I said 3-4 years ago hunting, she said I found your wallet, she said I don't need a reward, just where to send it, I got it back with $ 400.00 weathered bills in side, and she did not leave a return address.
Thank to the lady in Pendleton.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:01 PM   #240
just_hunt'n
Tuna!

Last week I happened to walk by these elk hove nails, what are the chances! I looked around for some bones or a carcass, but there was nothing around. Its weird that I can't find an elk shed when cruising timber ground, but I happen across stuff like this.
just_hunt'n is offline   Reply With Quote