ifish admin thoughts (and helpful info?) - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 09-29-2016, 06:48 AM   #1
[email protected]
AdminiMom

Default ifish admin thoughts (and helpful info?)

As I ramble about, doing my ifish admin work, there are several times that I wish I had time to convey to people, but I'm busy with a project at hand, so I just go on to something else.
There are three (four? five?) things that fall into this category. Follow along, if you are interested.
I figure that about 50%t of our membership may read part of it, and perhaps 25% will actually follow (part of) my advice. But, that's OK. Each time I post it, we will get a couple more people who will follow through.
It's not a matter of disrespect. (Well, I hope, anyhow!) It's just that people get into habits that are difficult to break. Especially when it's just not that life changing-important!
Here we go!

The Back button

Our forum software wasn't designed to use the back button, while browsing different threads, etc. Vbulletin software keeps track of what you have read. If you use the back button, it still keeps track of what you read, but it doesn't show for you. If you can, please learn to use the top left file directory, underneath the area that displays the largest advertising banner. If you are reading at the bottom of the page, you'll see the bottom right link that allows you to "go back" by saying "Go fish". You can leave it at the forum you are reading, or even choose a different forum to read.
If you use those two buttons instead of the back button, (admittedly a difficult task to relearn!) you will see that the forums/threads you have not read will be bolded and the ones you have read will be plain text. Cool, huh?

Advanced edit
Many people ask the mods if they will change the title of their thread for them.
You will see that when you hit "edit" on your post, (Which is available for like 60 days or so after you post any post) you are not able to edit the title. But, if you click "advanced edit" after you click edit, (It's at the bottom of your post, like the edit button was), you have a plethora of new options! Try it! You might like it!

Attachments
The attachment feature is meant for documents. Written documents like word, or pages extensions. It was never intended to display pictures. This one does bother me, because when I had ifish I paid good money for our photo program, where you have your own space to post pictures! As many as you like! (I think it's still that way, too!)
You can post pictures with the attachment feature, but each account only allows you a tiny bit of space. Like, enough for 10 photos or so, depending on size. Documents don't take up much space, but pictures can be huge space eaters!
So, get to know your photo gallery! It has really neat features!
Oh! That made me think of one more thing!

Tapatalk
I have to be careful how to word this. But, I_Don't_like_Tapatalk. How is that for careful? Hey! I don't like the ifish mobile experience, either.
I like plain ifish.net the way it is written for the desktop, when I'm on my phone or ipad. But, I especially don't like tapatalk and I don't know why people use it.
Did you know that Tapatalk records and keeps all the links you click on? If you'll notice, they have updated their privacy policy and now they have rights to almost everything you do.
Your choice, of course, but I no use atapa talka! I gave it a chance when it first came out, and it was a no-go for this girl. I like to keep my information MY information!
OK, I'm posting this to the discussion forum! And then I'm going out to kick crunchy leaves. It's going to rain tomorrow, so I am going out to enjoy the crunch while it's here! I love this time of year!

...and of course...
Need help logging in?
Click Here on the contact ifish form or pm me. Give me your moniker(s), name, and updated e mail.
Make sure to tell me if you have a new moniker, also! I can merge them into one! We'd rather you keep your first user name, so that people know who you are.

Have a Great Day!

Jen

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Jennie@ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2016, 07:57 AM   #2
fyshndad
"The Old Salt"

Default Re: ifish admin thoughts (and helpful info?)

Jen,
I hate Tapatalk too and don't use it.
But.... photos????
It took me 2 years to figure out how to post a pic from my mobile phone after dropping the home internet and now I'm told not to do it. If I capture the image it shows up as a photo attachment, if I post one from my phone storage it is called a document.
Suggestions on what to do?

As for the look of ifish on my phone, I use the option every 90 days and use the old style.

The older I get the harder it seems to learn new technologies

The boat is out of service until further notice and won't be seeing any saltwater. The only water is going to be from the garden hose and the sky

fyshndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:05 AM   #3
MattiG
Chromer

Re: photos,

Just use free image hosting services like photobucket or imgur. Upload to those sites and you'll get the IMG link that you can paste directly into any forum post.

If you want to be really considerate and save yourself space on your hosting account, get Paint.net (free and great) which even a retired fisherman who didn't grow up with the internet could use to change the size and orientation of pictures. (This would prevent some of the HUGE pictures that some people post from affecting the size of the rest of the page). I would put together a quick video tutorial on this if I thought more than 3 people would use it.
MattiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2016, 11:08 AM   #4
[email protected]
AdminiMom

I didn't say NOT to do anything. You can do everything any way it is easiest for you! I'm just telling you how it is supposed to be, or how it was written to be.
However you do anything easiest, is the best way!
Just try it the other way and give it a chance. That's all I can ask.

Have you ever tried your gallery?
Have you ever tried not using the back button?

That is maybe how I should have put it!

Remember Bill? Teaching him how to use the internet is very difficult. So, however he is most comfortable is the best way!

Regarding those "HUGE" pictures. Those only show up if you use Tapatalk. (and one more case, someone posted about using an imac and I'm not sure what else...) But, in a perfect world, ifish (without any other interference from other software) resizes the pictures automatically.

I never see an oversized pic, anymore. Not on my iphone, my ipad, my windows 7 machine or my macbook.

It must work, is how I see it! I can promise you, though, that if you use Tapatalk, that feature won't work and you'll see huge, oversized, have to scroll to read the text-- pictures!

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Old 09-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #5
[email protected]
AdminiMom

Also, I don't know if free image hosting services are easier than the gallery, but if they are, go for it! I find the gallery perfectly easy to use.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:37 PM   #6
fyshndad
"The Old Salt"

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Also, I don't know if free image hosting services are easier than the gallery, but if they are, go for it! I find the gallery perfectly easy to use.
I've never been able to get my Android phone pics to the Ifish gallery.

I am one of those people that have to be shown how to do things and write notes so that I can do what I was shown and after doing it a few times I don't need the notes anymore.

Reading how just doesn't sink into my feeble brain

Still can't figure out how to use all the features on my Raymarine electronics, I figured out how to use a few of the basics but need guidance on the more technical stuff

The boat is out of service until further notice and won't be seeing any saltwater. The only water is going to be from the garden hose and the sky

fyshndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #7
Rykat
Tuna!

Thumbs up Re: ifish admin thoughts (and helpful info?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Re: photos,

Just use free image hosting services like photobucket or imgur. Upload to those sites and you'll get the IMG link that you can paste directly into any forum post.

If you want to be really considerate and save yourself space on your hosting account, get Paint.net (free and great) which even a retired fisherman who didn't grow up with the internet could use to change the size and orientation of pictures. (This would prevent some of the HUGE pictures that some people post from affecting the size of the rest of the page). I would put together a quick video tutorial on this if I thought more than 3 people would use it.
Boom, do it. Winter doldrums are coming and this will be a good homework assignment for a lot of us. I'll sign up for the online instruction. 2 more students and we've got your class filled. I'll even sit in the front row and be the teacher's pet.
Rykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #8
Hookset
King Salmon

Never thought about how Tapatalk works. But I do remember an earlier post or message on IFish promoting the app.

Never had a need until I caved in by getting my first smart phone. I could just bookmark all the links in a browser and never use Tapatalk. I do find the alerts and messages annoying.

Thanks for the heads-up Jennie!
Hookset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:47 PM   #9
Dave G
King Lingcod

I read the whole thing!! Need a little clarification. I have been using the I-fish gallery forever and love it, but I am not suppose to copy and paste the Linked medium and post the picture in a bragging thread or others?

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:59 PM   #10
Stick'em
King Salmon

I use tapatalk to upload photos because it automaticly resizes them for me. If I try to upload directly to gallery, I'm always told they are too large. It's all so frustrating and I have been doing this longer than most on here.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #11
Guthooker
Sturgeon

can we get a "like" button? sometimes I read things I like but just don't feel like typing anything, but a like button would be nice .
Guthooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:57 AM   #12
MattiG
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykat View Post
Boom, do it. Winter doldrums are coming and this will be a good homework assignment for a lot of us. I'll sign up for the online instruction. 2 more students and we've got your class filled. I'll even sit in the front row and be the teacher's pet.
OK, it's on the to-do list. Will try to get it done by Monday.
MattiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:43 AM   #13
Meanwhile
Ifish Nate

You don't like Tapatalk? You must be joking.

It is so easy to read AND post photos it is the only way I do IFISH. No more worrying about the photo link going away, or resizing, or having the link language just right. I like live report photos and Tapatalk allows me to do that quickly without the web design over head.

Worried about tracking? Have you seen IFish with out an ad blocker? Talk about tracking. And claims that anything posted belongs to the website? Give me a break.

The Salty Dogs is a great site. It can be a source of valuable information. Tapatalk is the only way to go for this and other sites.

MMSI 367632240
Meanwhile
Garibaldi, OR
Monitor VHF 14 & 16
Old 09-30-2016, 05:19 PM   #14
[email protected]
AdminiMom

I'm glad you like it!

I don't use an ad blocker and I'm on ifish every day. I wonder if you are ticking remember me, when logging in? If you go on ifish without being logged in, yes, you'll see a ton of ads. But if you tick "remember me" (I don't know if tapa talk allows that) you don't see many, or any? Just the main banner and the side banner.
If you don't tick remember me, you will be logged out in 15 minutes and here come the ads!
No, I don't like tapa talk. It may be mostly from a coding nightmare standpoint and knowing, or reading what is said about them. Google them sometime.

Anyhow, I'm pecking on a smart phone. More, later!

Old 09-30-2016, 09:11 PM   #15
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Jennie, if it weren't for tapatalk, I'm pretty confident that there would be a lot less traffic and usage of ifish. It's so much easier to use and post pics etc in the smartphone age than ifish's antiquated setup. I don't have the time to post the traditional way on ifish like I used to, but wish I did. Tapatalk is really the only way I can check in here and post up occasionally still.

That said, I still like your site here and most of the members content and input, thank you.

Aluminumworksbyjd.com
Quiet Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:51 PM   #16
eyeFISH
King Salmon

What's a TapaTalk?

Long Live the Kings!
eyeFISH.... The Keen Eye MD
eyeFISH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:23 PM   #17
Splash
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeFISH View Post
What's a TapaTalk?
This. I'm a proud member of team old school. Give me a real keyboard and screen I don't need glasses to squint at.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:58 PM   #18
Dave G
King Lingcod

I'm still trying to figure out if we are supposed to be posting pictures still.

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:05 AM   #19
The Pew
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
Jennie, if it weren't for tapatalk, I'm pretty confident that there would be a lot less traffic and usage of ifish. It's so much easier to use and post pics etc in the smartphone age than ifish's antiquated setup. I don't have the time to post the traditional way on ifish like I used to, but wish I did. Tapatalk is really the only way I can check in here and post up occasionally still.

That said, I still like your site here and most of the members content and input, thank you.

Aluminumworksbyjd.com

I'd agree. Without tapatalk I'd probably check this site every month or so as opposed to daily.

The tracking issue doesn't bug me out. Everything we do on the net is tracked unless we are very intentional about not being tracked. Even then you are likely being tracked.

With that said, I also agree that the content of the site is great. I learn something new almost every day thanks to Ifish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Pew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:06 AM   #20
[email protected]
AdminiMom

Dave G
Of course! Why wouldn't you post pictures?
Pictures are awesome!

I think you misread, Dave! There is an attachment feature at the top of ifish posts thing. It looks like a little paper clip. That is for documents.
People use that for pictures, sometimes, and you can do that, but it isn't intended for that.
Using your gallery (like you said above) is what you should do!

Old 10-02-2016, 07:33 PM   #21
Rickster
Ifish Nate

I guess this is a good place to bring this up. I recently had a weird thing happen three times over the last few weeks. I was surfing ifish on my (Ok, my company provided and very free) android phone, with the Chrome app, using the mobile version. I noticed that an unfamiliar icon showed up in the notification area at the top of my screen. You know, that area where a little email, text, and application icon pops up when there is something new to check out? It looked a little bit like a cartoonish eyeball. A little like this: @> Only more artistic and stylized. I thought “that’s strange”, and pulled down the notification bar to see what it was. It showed only an ifish banner with a pause icon in the middle of it. I touched the pause icon and it became an arrow. Like a play icon on a video. There was no other info. Touching the arrow changed it to a pause icon. I just closed the application and restarted it. The last time I felt a little like somebodies brother was watchin’ so I hit the exit enhanced viewing mode link when I restarted the app to open ifish. It has not happened since … yet. So the question is, has anyone else experienced this or have an idea what’s going on? For the qualifiers. I typically do not use wifi with my phone because it makes my work related apps stupid. No **** surfing I think it happened after working hours. GPS is off … At least as much as I can control. Android version 4.4.4 on a Motorola Droid Maxx. Never installed tapatalk. I did the new password on my original account thing as prescribed. No weirdness on my PC or Kindle. Thanks
Old 10-02-2016, 08:35 PM   #22
[email protected]
AdminiMom

That's strange!
I haven't seen anything like that, but there is an ifish help desk. I'd copy and paste this there.
Or, I could just move a copy of your post over there, if you like!
Let me know!
Jen

Old 10-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #23
Swifty27
Sturgeon

I'd like to see the site evolve to be more smart phone friendly, specifically for posting pictures. My opinion only, but if something we do regularly requires a tutorial, it's too complicated. Why not have an "add picture" button that automatically uploads the pictures to the user's gallery, resizes to 800 pixels wide, and embeds the image url in the post? That's all Tapatalk is doing and it's the primary reason I use it. I will actually use my phone instead of a desktop to post pictures for that reason.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." - Robert Wilensky, speech at a 1996 conference
Swifty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:37 AM   #24
[email protected]
AdminiMom

That would be so nice, Swifty!
You should post that on the help desk!
The more people asking, the better!

Old 10-04-2016, 06:51 AM   #25
Swifty27
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
That would be so nice, Swifty!
You should post that on the help desk!
The more people asking, the better!
Done.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." - Robert Wilensky, speech at a 1996 conference
Swifty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #26
tomc
Super Moderator

I use TapaTalk for the Dad to Day viewing of the Site when at Home on my iPad because it's much faster and simpler. I do however, shift over to the Full Site for Moderating. On the weekends I'm not necessarily in front of my Lap Top, but always have either my iPad or iPhone with me.

Tom